Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Project F80: Partnering with Ghassan and RB

I am excited to announce that I am partnering with both Ghassan Autmotive and RB Turbo! Our goals? To put together a car that can run 9's one weekend and then do a road course the very next weekend. We are targeting 700whp on this 1k capable build.

Like many of my stories, this one starts off with a little bit of frustration. While I knew the crank hub could be an issue, I was starting to wonder if it was a 1 in a million type of thing (only hear the bad on the internets) or was I destined for failure. Turns out, it is indeed a real thing. Click here to enlarge

After running the car FBO w PI for about 2 years, on 11/26 my crank hub finally gave up the ghost. I was still a bit surprised at this because of a few factors.
    1: 2018 Comp DCT with 10k on the clock
    2: The kick down switch was NEVER used
    3: Auto mode has NEVER been used
    4: When this failed I was only doing a 3/4 throttle pull up a hill to pass traffic and when I came to a stop I got the dreaded vanos faults that would not clear (13E201 and 3F2012)

So onward and upward!
    Click here to enlarge

Current drivetrain mods:
    JB4, MHD Full e85 BEF, Thor GTS Flashed, Fuel-it! PI with upgraded feed line kit using 750 injectors, BMS charge and J pipes, BMS intakes, Phoenix intercooler, VRSF DP's, and ACF exhaust.

Upgrades being performed by Ghassan Automotive:
    Forged rods, pistons, APR studs, Max PSI pinned hub, full teardown and rebuild.

RB Turbo will be supplying us with is first set of S55 hybrids (so happy to be working with Rob again)! Rob and I set the N54 twin turbo record a few years back with the first 10 second pass (also in partnership with Fuel It!). While this only lasted what seemed like a minute, I feel it was a big step in helping pushing the platform forward.

Car was picked up on 12/5/19 and should be there on 12/7/19
    Click here to enlarge

Goal is to have the car back up and running in Febuary of 2020!

I will be keeping this thread updated as Ghassan and his team make their way through the build.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    First Update 12-7-19
    Car arrived at Ghassan!
    https://imgur.com/gallery/3fHjYHn

Thanks again to Ghassan for taking the time to do a walk around and take photos to show that my girl made it there without issues.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Awesome - can’t wait. You always do amazing stuff!

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Minor update for the build but major update for me.
    I knew my build was not going to start until after PRI in Indy this week and Ghassan invited me up to meet him and discuss the project. I have to say, I was impressed with how professional and polite he was with me and everyone he spoke with.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by trickcruiser Click here to enlarge
    PRI in Indy this week and Ghassan invited me up to meet him and discuss the project. I have to say, I was impressed with how professional and polite he was with me and everyone he spoke with.
    I need to do PRI at some point.

Anyway, any update?
    Three sets of brand new 991.2 3.0 headers for sale: Kline, Fabspeed, and Vektor Ceramic Coated

IPD plenum for Porsche 991.2 3.0 for sale: $650

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Anyway, any update?
    Actually yes, there is!

We have added CSF to the team and they have given me a great deal on their heat exchanger!

We are just about done collecting parts and should have the turbos late January - early February.
    The car is on the rack and Ghassan will he removing the engine in the next couple days.

Parts list being installed:Mahle Pistons
    Ghassan 1200whp rods
    ARP bolt/studs
    MaxPSI crank hub
    King main bearings
    ACL rod bearings
    CSF Heat exchanger
    RB stage 2 turbos
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    341 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Awesome project. We sold our F80 and parted it out after we finished our development. Still a few things left if you are looking for PI or the perfect race exhaust. Both with very few miles on them

EOS Intake Manifold with top mount PI 550CC genuine DW injectors with lines $1200
    ACF Full aluminum Exhaust with custom Vibrant 3.5" resonator (this is BY FAR the best sounding S55 exhaust we have ever heard. Completely gets rid of the rasp, transforms the way the car sounds for the better while dropping like 60 lbs off the car) We modified this slightly to a SS section after the DP's then into the aluminum. $1000

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    We have added CSF to the team and they have given me a great deal on their heat exchanger!
    @CSF Cooling is great stuff and Ravi is a stand up guy. He helped me out a bunch as well.

Trying to get him on BimmerBoost now that CSF is kicked off BimmerPost. Do me a favor and mention it to him Click here to enlarge
    Three sets of brand new 991.2 3.0 headers for sale: Kline, Fabspeed, and Vektor Ceramic Coated

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Todays update, the engine is out!
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tony@VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Awesome project. We sold our F80 and parted it out after we finished our development. Still a few things left if you are looking for PI or the perfect race exhaust. Both with very few miles on them

EOS Intake Manifold with top mount PI 550CC genuine DW injectors with lines $1200
    ACF Full aluminum Exhaust with custom Vibrant 3.5" resonator (this is BY FAR the best sounding S55 exhaust we have ever heard. Completely gets rid of the rasp, transforms the way the car sounds for the better while dropping like 60 lbs off the car) We modified this slightly to a SS section after the DP's then into the aluminum. $1000
    Thanks, I actually already have the ACF exhaust and fuel-it PI kit with 750's already on the car. Happen to have any photos of the Vibrant resonators installed on the exhaust? That could make a world of difference! I do still need to address the LPFP on the car if you have anything for that laying around.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    @CSF Cooling is great stuff and Ravi is a stand up guy. He helped me out a bunch as well.

Trying to get him on BimmerBoost now that CSF is kicked off BimmerPost. Do me a favor and mention it to him Click here to enlarge
    I will pass it on man!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Awesome build! Glad to see RB expanding into other markets. I remember your 135i build well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blaster3500 Click here to enlarge
    Awesome build! Glad to see RB expanding into other markets. I remember your 135i build well.
    Yeah, I think RB really has some great plans for the platform!

Actually just got off the phone with the owner of the old Evil1! He converted the car to a 6spd and beats the car almost daily in TX. Really was/is a great car!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, I think RB really has some great plans for the platform!

Actually just got off the phone with the owner of the old Evil1! He converted the car to a 6spd and beats the car almost daily in TX. Really was/is a great car!
    It definitely is a great car now that the 6AT is out of the car. I'm hoping to hit a dyno with the Evil1 in the next couple of weeks. She's in good hands and can't wait to see the F80 when it's done!

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I will pass it on man!
    I appreciate that, thank you!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by psixtc Click here to enlarge
    I'm hoping to hit a dyno with the Evil1 in the next couple of weeks.
    Make a thread and post the results up please...