Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

N54 6AT behavior when tuned?

Hi everyone,

Recently i drove a stock 135i (as opposed to my FBO 135i) and i was pretty shocked to how SMOOTH the stock one is in terms of power (obviously) and transmission operation (both 6AT).
    I didn't feel any of the shifts and the power was just... linear...
    Now that's to be expected, the stock torque curve is pretty much flat from around 2000.

Now my car is pushing around 400 whp and about 450 ft-lb, so the trans is having a harder time than stock and the maps are also OTS, so not custom work.
    I had this weird moment in my head where i though: what if i flash mine back to stock and see if it's just as smooth: if it ain't, maybe my trans needs some service.
    I flashed both MHD stage 0 and xHP back to stock (5 minutes of work basically).
    And WOW the car is so smooth again, i can't believe this is how the car drove stock!
    Okay, it's slow and the trans is SLOW, but i kinda like it in a weird way.

Now my question is as follows:
    What is your experience with these OTS maps (both MHD and xHP stage 3) in terms of smoothness?
    I noticed my shifts were pretty hard and firm with xHP S3.
    You can call it sporty, but i call it a bit unsettling at times.
    Basically D was good when babying it and S & M were good for full beans, anything in between gave rough shifting behavior.
    Maybe i need to try the S1 or S2?
    I also had a slight shift flare when going from 5th to 6th, this is definitely not good.
    The stock trans flash doesn't have any of it..

I would LOVE a stock D mode and an xHP S3 M-mode, don't know if this is possible..

In the meantime, i've flashed the car to MHD stage 1 and still the stock TCU flash.
    Car is now buttery smooth and somewhat quick, i think this is a pretty good combination of power and smoothness.

Can you guys share some experiences?

Thank you!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Bump

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You can use the customization module(extra purchase) to change the shift speed(quickness), less or more torque reduction, shift maps, etc.. Should allow you to get the Modes and shifting exactly how you prefer it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ah that’s a good tip, thanks!
    I have the customization module, but the last time i checked, it just allowed me to alter the shifts in M.
    Maybe it’s been updated in the meantime, i’ll check it out!

If i can get D to drive just as stock, it would he great!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah they have added the torque reduction and shift maps and maybe some other stuff recently. There's quite a few options in the customization module now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very nice, do you (or anyone else) have tried experimenting with the torque reduction settings?
    The pause between 1st and 2nd is quite present and i'm wondering if this can be reduced by messing with these settings.
    Think i'm going to give it a try.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes, you should be able to fix it with the torque reduction settings, but haven't messed with it for 1-2, just 2-3 and 3-4.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's good to hear, did it give you the results you were looking for?
    I guess you changed it, because you had the same symptoms? A very slight pause while shifting?
    I think this is okay in M, but it should be smooth as can be in D.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes, it gave me the results i was looking for. I only drive in manual mode, so can't comment on anything for S or D modes. I adjusted it because I want the fastest and hardest hitting shift I can get lol. I have had the slight pause when shifting, but mostly only when the transmission was cold and/or when I manually shift at say 1/4 throttle with not much load.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Okay, well i fiddled with xHP and the flash settings (also tried stage 1, 2 or 3), but the results weren't good enough for me.
    Stage 1 was okay, but handled pretty much like the Alpina flash.
    Also, the cold shift flare from 5 to 6 i encountered was only on Stage 3, but on no other map.. weird..

Today i stumbled upon a custom TCU flash which is a blend of stock D and Alpina S and M mode.
    It's perfect! D is smooth and shift points aren't as stupid as Alpina's TCU flash.
    Torque is hard limited to 420 ft lb in this map, so sufficient for me on stock turbo's.
    S and M are perfect and feel really dialed in like OEM.
    I know it's probably not as fast as xHP shift times, but the car feels so much better and healthier this way.

I think this is the right way for people looking for OEM feel, but seek the S and M mode from the Alpina.