Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

RFP calls out Ken Atkinson's (Wedge Performance) dangerous N54 tuning practices (blown motors)

Honestly, yes, most tuners avoid calling out competitor's directly but RFP is correct here. Wedge has blown who knows how many motors at this point and people should be aware.

PLEASE BE AWARE!!!I usually don't like to call out other people but this is absurd. This log was sent to me by someone who is very concerned. The current tune is not simply "unsafe" it's extremely dangerous. If you look closely you shall see that the rail pressure (HPFP) is crashing, LPFP still maintains the pressure BUT... Take a look at the timing. There are no corrections. The only reason there would be no corrections is if the KNOCK TABLES we're extremely relaxed (desensitized).

Boost never hits the target and trims (STFT bank 1 and bank 2) are completely maxed out and in dangerous area.

This tune is a prime example of how the motor blows up and then the "tuner" blames the owner.

Courtesy of Ken@WedgePerformance
    #StillBlowingMotors

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Wow

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Am I seeing this correctly ??
    27 psi
    15.7 :1 AFR
    16 Timing ??

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Man those are some lean afrs, could cause some piston damage. IIRC stoichiometric is 14.7:1, so that's approaching idle-hyperlean afrs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Always more to a story.

I have never dealt with wedge before but no tuner or enthuisiast would ever aim for those afrs.

What about the owner of the car?
    Wouldnt of put bigger turbos on and done a wot pull?
    O2 sensors stuffed?
    Using domeone elses tune?

No tuner or enthuiast would leave a tune like this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brule Click here to enlarge
    I have never dealt with wedge before but no tuner or enthuisiast would ever aim for those afrs.
    More is coming...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

2 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    More is coming...
    I reviewed the data log with RFP, and I also stated that everything here is incorrect. Back in the day people were saying that I was blowing the motors and $#@! but the truth is really coming out now. RFP is solid and I can definitely vouch that my work has also tenfolded as well.

i would have NEVER released a Client like this. That’s just asking for trouble, I guess add one to another list of blown wedge tuned motors that were swept under the rug for so many years.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ken has been called out since 2015. There is another thread by Tony from VTT as well

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Bs.
    There is more to this story and origin of that tune. Ken also wouldn't release a pump tune with a log like that.
    335I 518whp, Chinesium FCBO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by threetirtyfive Click here to enlarge
    Bs.
    There is more to this story and origin of that tune. Ken also wouldn't release a pump tune with a log like that.
    Maybe, I would like to give the benefit of the doubt to Ken as well, however I have heard alot of questionable tuning methods (desensitizing knock sensors etc), and countless blow engines from him in the past so I would not put this past him. However I would also not like to accuse him of anything until further proof on both sides are provided.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by F87Source Click here to enlarge
    Maybe, I would like to give the benefit of the doubt to Ken as well, however I have heard alot of questionable tuning methods (desensitizing knock sensors etc), and countless blow engines from him in the past so I would not put this past him. However I would also not like to accuse him of anything until further proof on both sides are provided.
    It’s a bit to compile but it is coming.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah that's great to hear.

I'm just glad I found twisted tuning, versed in ecutek, mhd, bm3 and is a great tuner. I read the mhd manual and I believe they said he makes the ots maps too which is fantastic.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by F87Source Click here to enlarge
    Yeah that's great to hear.

I'm just glad I found twisted tuning, versed in ecutek, mhd, bm3 and is a great tuner. I read the mhd manual and I believe they said he makes the ots maps too which is fantastic.
    Hmm you would think he prefers a certain software. Supposedly MHD is getting some big updates.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I thought Wedge did OTS MHD maps ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Wedge did the original ots maps with pureboost doing the s55 onwards maps

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    *n55 onwards done by pureboost, can't edit above post.
    He's also doing the b58 beta right now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
    Hmm you would think he prefers a certain software. Supposedly MHD is getting some big updates.
    Flexibility is also the key to being a great tuner, plus he has cobb tuning certifications as well. If he's able to tune across so many different platforms and software without issues then it certainly hints at his capability. Maybe he does have preferences but it's great he is able to help so many users.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Aus335iGuy Click here to enlarge
    I thought Wedge did OTS MHD maps ?
    Wedge for n54, E series N55 is twisted tuning (I believe he has an E series n55 which has a different ecu than the F series so probably why he makes those maps), F series n55 and S55 is Pure boost.

Here are the links:
    N54: http://mhdtuning.com/downloads/MHD%2...ER%20GUIDE.pdf
    E series n55: http://mhdtuning.com/downloads/MHD%2...ER%20GUIDE.pdf
    F series N55 + S55: http://mhdtuning.com/guides/MHD%20FL...ER%20GUIDE.pdf

Scroll down to the section about OTS maps.

Wedge did the original ots maps with pureboost doing the s55 onwards maps
    Wedge for n54 only, pureboost for F series, twisted for E series n55 (as explained above).

*n55 onwards done by pureboost, can't edit above post.
    He's also doing the b58 beta right now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

4 out of 7 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    This is clearly an attempt by Dean and Joseph (Sticky) to libel my name. When you tune hundreds of cars per year you are bound to have a few cars that have mechanical issues. At the boost levels shown you drop a secondary pump and trims will max out and rail pressure will drop. The only ignorance here is the two idiots that posted this garbage and the people who buy into this nonsense. The people involved with this libel post are only showing you parts of the log that make it look bad. I'm assuming the log with the high timing was our recent 1/4 world record car which had a few logs that went lean because of HPFP issues. The image quality is just bad enough I can't validate, but the fact that this timing is never used outside of cars running race fuel it must be a log from Joel's car. Cars that are running race gas maps have only one purpose, and was accomplished with a stock turbo 10.6s pass and a 10.2s pass with nitrous. So before anyone passes judgement on me look at the source.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So is it true this referring to the OE Turbo featherweight record car? If so it sounds like there are many things to consider, as this would not be a run of the mill custom tuned car yet rather one that is "sending it" for the sake of records. When doing these things anything can happen outside the control of the tuner and is an implied risk of pushing boundaries IMO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is not a world record car, this is one many you blew. There are more logs and pictures and references compiling. More info IS coming.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    After the post, logs began to pour in from Ken's customers. Here is a good one:
    Blow these things up and blame the turbos. Seems like unsafe practices are very common with Wedge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thats called having a go tune.
    Or max my turbos tune.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    724 Post(s)

Sure would be nice to have your own personal tuner sitting in the passenger seat every run continuously looking at logs from your car real time and aborting a run if AFR went too lean, boost went too high, fuel pressure went too low, fuel trim variance became too great, etc, etc. If only there was a way to recreate that same level of safety without having to have a tuner live in your car! Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I Mean if it was a "GO" tune then yes... but this is the final product for "safe tune"
    Told the guy to turn down the boost. Now much better.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Brule Click here to enlarge
    Thats called having a go tune.
    Or max my turbos tune.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast