Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

New OEM Mitsubishi turbos, 0.1inHG difference, should i worry?

Hello,

Ordered an got two brand new OEM Mitsubishi turbos.

Before install, i wanted to check the wastegate operation because i was afraid after reading that a lot of people had still rattle with new turbos.

I hooked a vacuum gauge with a T and a 60 ml syringe.

One closes at 5.9inHG and i am able to spin the disc with a moderate resistance.

The other one closes at 5.9inHG but the disc spins very easily compared to the other, to get the same resistance, i have to pull 6.0inHG.

Should i consider it ok or does it need an adjustement? does a 0.1inHG difference matters?

Thanks by advance for any advices

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Anyone? Bump?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Shouldn't make a big difference, the vacuum on idle is around -14-17 in HG, which equates to around 0,5 BarA.
    The -6 in HG you're pulling (0,8 BarA) is so weak, the engine actually always pulls a stronger vacuum.
    Just for a reference: 1,0 BarA is atmospheric pressure and 0,0 BarA is an absolute vacuum.

I definitely wouldn't worry about it.
    If you want to double check: test out with 0,5 BarA or -15 in HG and feel the wastegates (they should be sealed shut tight).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Short version: He'd already been squared away on another forum.

Side note: As for the functionality the actuators are vacuum supplied from the vacuum pump on the front of the engine, not from the manifold vacuum. As they are controlled by the WGDC on the solenoids, it is certainly a good idea to keep them as consistent as possible (which he has completed). All in all, relatively small error, but hey never hurts to be more dialed in.

Rob

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes i agree 100%, Rob.

Maybe my statement was a bit vague, i actually meant vacuum after the solenoids (active on the WG’s).
    I’ve measured the vacuum between the solenoids and wastegates themselves at idle.
    It gave me 15 in HG, but since we use BarA here in the EU, that equates to about 0,5 BarA.
    The WG’s should be sealed tight at idle as far as i know (no rattle fix active).

I guess you can adjust the wastegate arms to compensate for the difference in actuating vacuum.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi,

Sorry to be late here, and thank you for your answer Click here to enlarge

As Rob said, for peace of mind, i finally adjusted the "weakest" one (front) to be as much as i can the same as the rear. ( closed at 5.9 inHG with a moderate resistance to turn the disc)

I also concluded (maybe i am wrong) that it wasn't the same person who adjusted both turbos, this can explain the 0.1inHG difference between the two snails.
    (Build date on them has a 8 months difference)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It’s good that you adjusted them as close as possible.
    But just imagine the difference is just 0.1 in HG anyway (which is 1/300 of atmospheric pressure).

So adjusted or not, you should be totally fine ;-)