Close

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    137,710
    Rep Points
    41,019.0
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    411


    Yes Reputation No

    Stock 2017 Challenger Hellcat struggles with a ZCP (Competition) F80 M3 DCT

    This one is a little tough to explain as the Hellcat should be faster than a stock ZCP F80 M3. The Competition tune for the F80 M3 from the factory is slightly stronger than a base F80 M3 but not enough to explain why the Hellcat gets dominated the way it does.

    Click here to enlarge

    All the M3 has is a full Remus exhaust. The Hellcat is an 8-speed automatic and stock.

    F80 M3's pulling like this on Hellcats is not anything new but those M3's had a tune.

    Is the F80 owner sandbagging?


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    340
    Rep Points
    146.9
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    And a jb4 on the highest map....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    1,229
    Rep Points
    2,073.8
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Yes Reputation No
    One factor is that a supercharged car does not have a specific boost target (but does have a boost limit and will bleed off extra boost when necessary). Since the supercharger spins at a fixed ratio in relation to engine RPM, boost cannot be automatically increased in higher elevations like a turbocharged car. Looks like this video was taken at ~4,500 feet.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    137,710
    Rep Points
    41,019.0
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    411



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    One factor is that a supercharged car does not have a specific boost target (but does have a boost limit and will bleed off extra boost when necessary). Since the supercharger spins at a fixed ratio in relation to engine RPM, boost cannot be automatically increased in higher elevations like a turbocharged car. Looks like this video was taken at ~4,500 feet.
    This is not true.

    The Hellcat uses a bypass valve design which is how boost is limited between the two keys to begin with.

    Just like the B8 Audi S4 boost can be increased through software and bypass valve control.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    1,229
    Rep Points
    2,073.8
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This is not true.

    The Hellcat uses a bypass valve design which is how boost is limited between the two keys to begin with.

    Just like the B8 Audi S4 boost can be increased through software and bypass valve control.
    What happens when you are already on the red key and the bypass valve is closed? You would need to change pulley ratios to achieve more boost.
    www.ExoticPerspective.com: The Automotive Photography & Cinematography Community

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    137,710
    Rep Points
    41,019.0
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    411



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    What happens when you are already on the red key and the bypass valve is closed? You would need to change pulley ratios to achieve more boost.
    There is a point where you do need to change hardware for more boost but saying you can not compensate for atmosphere or increase boost without changing hardware on the Hellcat or supercharged applications is incorrect.

    The two keys achieve exactly this with software alone...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    1,229
    Rep Points
    2,073.8
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    There is a point where you do need to change hardware for more boost but saying you can not compensate for atmosphere or increase boost without changing hardware on the Hellcat or supercharged applications is incorrect.

    The two keys achieve exactly this with software alone...
    Okay, I was not aware of that.

    On the slow key it makes sense to do it that way. However, on the red key, spinning the supercharger faster than necessary and using the bypass valve to regulate peak boost long-term seems like a poor design. Overspinning the supercharger for a given pressure is wasted energy (and increases IATís). It would be like using the blowoff valve to regulate boost instead of the wastegate on a turbocharged car.

    Iím curious why the Hellcat didnít do better.
    www.ExoticPerspective.com: The Automotive Photography & Cinematography Community

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    137,710
    Rep Points
    41,019.0
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    411



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eleventeen Click here to enlarge
    On the slow key it makes sense to do it that way. However, on the red key, spinning the supercharger faster than necessary and using the bypass valve to regulate peak boost long-term seems like a poor design.
    It's not IMO. Because a positive displacement is always making boost a bypass to relieve pressure is a great idea and safe.

    As you can control the valve electronically then you can have it stay closed longer for say higher altitude applications. You aren't spinning the SC any harder you just are relieving pressure later so it builds more.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •