0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    it did not run long enough to do any of that

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by JG545 Click here to enlarge
    So after modifying the car beyond stock did you take it to a dyno to verify how things were running? Did you take any precautions by installing a boost gauge and a Air/Fuel gauge to monitor your now modified motor?
    Literally no one with an n54 does this unless they are really really pushing things. No reason Mike would need to do this.

Assuming it is the tuner's fault it just goes to show there is no reason to not use one of the proven well known tuners.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Why? I drive a 545i but I also drag race a foxbody mustang that isn't stock and I am always monitoring what it is doing. It only makes since to do that, protect my investment. How is driving a BMW any different?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Why? I drive a 545i but I also drag race a foxbody mustang that isn't stock and I am always monitoring what it is doing. It only makes since to do that, protect my investment. How is driving a BMW any different?
    Because you can monitor everything with a log. All a dyno will tell you is the power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Money Mike Click here to enlarge
    unfortunately no I ask the installer for the data log when I picked up the car. He did not have one. So I left with the car drove it about 65 miles and the engine started running rough and smoking.
    it did not run long enough to do any of that
    65 miles isn't long enough? Gotta pay to play, and unfortunately it sounds like that's maybe what you did this time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    A dyno will sure as heck tell you A/F ratios. Don't get me wrong, it sucks that the motor failed but you have to do some of your own due diligence. Being a Master airplane tech, you surely know this. Nobody adds nitrous to their car with out testing it with proper tools first. Or increase the shot of nitrous or boost without monitoring its immediate affect.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is a daily driver. I would not expect my wife to monitor gauges all the while driving to work. This was a normal turbo upgrade and are tons running without additional gauges. The tune should regulate the correct parameters if done properly. Non of my other bmw's have all the extra gauges. Gauges would help I agree. My M6 or my M2 doesn't have them maybe I should call BMW and ask what's up!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    It seems like you want the high horsepower hopped up DE/drag car but don’t want the responsibility? If you don’t expect to monitor gauges, how often do you run out of gas or overheat the car because you’re low on coolant? I would in no way say this was a normal upgrade, you drastically increased the power output of the engine and placed additional demands on all mechanical and electrical components. While I agree that there are probably many other cars with maybe the exact or very similar mods with no failures, I don’t think it’s fair to place all the blame on the tuner or the stated shop who did the install. Do your M6 or M2 have upgraded turbos and tunes as well? Perhaps the shop and tuner could have done more to prevent what sounds like an avoidable failure, but it’s gonna be tough to convince either that you aren’t shared in the blame for pushing a car that you felt wasn’t running properly. You wouldn’t take off in an airplane if you weren’t confident in the landing gear would you..?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I thought that is what I paid12,000 dollars to have done. I did not ask the shop to just bolt on new parts. If I had a lift and all the expertise at this I would have done it myself. Is that not why we use shops they are supposed to be the experts. I don't know everything about tuning N54's I was relying on the shop to be the expert. Thanks again for all the comments. I appreciate the support and constructive criticizem. For those of you who suggested a dyno I do not own one, the shop who did the work does not own one. The only one I know of does not do dyno runs that data log FAR. I guess your the lucky ones. MY final comment. If the installer had done a data log and knew even a shade more than I do {which isn't a lot ) I would be reading someone else's post right now. Thanks again great web site I am learning tons.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I see DCT who joined on3-9-19 and JG545 who joined on 3-8-19 have similar opinions. It looks like we just heard from the shop! I appreciate your thoughts. Have a nice day.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    At WOT on a powerful or even semi powerful car you cannot safely monitor 2 gauges, boost and AFR, shift, and keep the car going the direction you want. Even if you have the gauges on the steering wheel stock. The only way would be if you set failsafe alerts at certain levels on the gauges...even then, LITERALLY no one with an N54 does this. I have 2 gauges, boost and my aquamist, they might as well be for show when I am WOT rowing through the gears. I barely have time to glance at one of them during a pull and even then it is stupid to take your eyes off the road accelerating that fast.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well I can’t speak for JG545, but I’m in no way affiliated with this shop. I do however own a shop in Texas that just recently dealt with a similar situation and we as small business owners do what we can to help those who want help. Anytime people start jumping in to bash a shop when they probably just did what was asked, it hits me personally as well. I get pretty tired of hearing sob stories from people who want their hands held when something goes wrong with their heavily modified car. You said “I thought that is what I paid $12,000 to have done.” You should probably KNOW what you paid to have done. I don’t disagree that this situation could very well have been avoided by a data log. But trying to place blame on someone else because your engine blew is a long road to nowhere. Chalk it up as a loss, you learned what not to do and can move on. Like I said, gotta pay to play.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am not sure how it got to the point were I wanted a drag car. I had turbo rattle and decided that while the car was taken apart might as well upgrade to stage one turbos. According to everything I have read it is a very common upgrade. My wife did ask the owner how much power it would have. He was the one that introduced the 500 number. No mater I wanted a car that was dependable. Who would take there car to a shop and ask for a drag race motor? Some have suggested I should have dynode it. If that is required again the shop should have done that as well. Mr. Elliott in order for our work to be reliable we need to dyno the engine. Not we did some work but we are not sure if it is good . So you need to go dyno it to check our work. At least the shops attitude is now in text. Thanks again I got a lot of support and I appreciate it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The shop should be using data files to insure there work not 1980's tech. They did not dyno or do a data file. They simply relied on the cpu codes if triggered. This dyno thing drives me crazy. Just driving down the road looking at the data showed lean fuel to air. That was all they needed to do and I would be sending them business instead of sending business to a lawyer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I guess I could just keep the tools left in the engine bay and move on. Or maybe trade them for the hardware left out. What is the name of your shop?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hello Mike this is Mical at Edmond Motorwerks, I have been monitoring this thread since Active Autowerke emailed me about the situation which I had no idea about until I heard from them. I wasn’t going to respond until I heard from you personally but I have not heard anything from you and decided to chime in since you thought somebody else was responding on my behalf. I do not know who the other people on this thread are but they are not associated with us. We did have some issues with your vehicle, we had faulty bank 2 injectors that we thought were new and replaced by you so we were looking at other areas of the motor and not there. It wasn’t until after we realized those injectors had not been replaced that we replaced them and the car ran good. Ran good when we released it at that time. Could the faulty injectors have caused a lean or rich issue and caused some damage at that point? Not quite sure. Also you did have the car dynoed after it left our shop, your wife showed me the dyno sheet. I’m assuming they would have been monitoring air fuel ratio at that point and no issues were discovered by whoever did the dyno? I don’t remember looking at the values to see if it was there. It really sucks that this happened but the engine also has over 150k miles which is a risk upping the power in itself. The tune we used on your vehicle from Active is the exact same tune we used on a 335 with the exact same mods and that car is out there still running great. I know the other shop that replaced the engine has a great reputation but I as a rule of thumb don’t take any other shops diagnosis as fact without doing my own diagnosis. I have been in contact with Active about this as well and trying to find out if it would be possible for this to happen from their tune since it’s the same tune we have used before with no problems. If you would like to discuss this off of the forum please don’t hesitate to call or email me personally.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I did my best at trying to get some other input from people with more expertise than I. I f you monitored the thread you also see I did not mention your shop until I had several replies questioning the data log. You are correct about the injectors. I thought I had replaced all 6. However when I replaced the front three you coded them and there were no issues. The last data log shows no injector issues as well. I too have spoken with Active Autowerks and sent them the data log. My intent is not to try this case on the net Just posted the data and asked for input. It does strike me funny that two people joined after I started the thread only looked at my thread and are the only confrontational responses. I will agree to not responding further to this thread. I have gained the information I was seeking when I started this thread. You are entitled to respond and I am glad you did. I am in the process of making my decision about what to do. I will give you the courtesy of a sit down if I chose not to go with the attorney.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks again to all that responded to this thread .I have learned a lot and appreciate all the responses. I am bit by the bug and can't wait to learn more.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Iíve been a member of this site for nearly 3 years, this is a throw-away account so people like you donít slander my shop too. I only chimed in because I canít stand seeing a good shops name get tarnished for no reason, when a simple google search reveals the facility and employees seem to be top notch. This goes to show there are 2 sides to every story and the truth. You need to get off the internet and deal with the shop and tuner. Calling out the shops, and trying to rally a few digital pitch forks behind you isnít the best way to plead your case. good luck!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    you might have a point

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well just an update The rebuilt motor by Ghassan Auto is running like a top. Has a two year warrantee and does not require additional gauges to monitor. The shop was professional and a pleasure to do business with . I can not recommend them enough. Thanks again everyone, all the comments were appreciated. When the motor is broken in I will show the dyno results. The wife enjoys the grocery runs again!!! One item at a time!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I see DCT who joined on3-9-19 and JG545 who joined on 3-8-19 have similar opinions. It looks like we just heard from the shop! I appreciate your thoughts. Have a nice day.
    Is the shop in Edmund, Oklahoma or Oklahoma City?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DCT Click here to enlarge
    Well I can’t speak for JG545, but I’m in no way affiliated with this shop. I do however own a shop in Texas that just recently dealt with a similar situation and we as small business owners do what we can to help those who want help.
    All of your IP's are from Oklahoma...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the shop is in Stillwater ok 20 minutes north of Edmond OK.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12