Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

A truck for towing?

I've been considering the new Ranger but man seeing what Pure Turbos and BMW are getting out of the V6 Ecoboost is insane.

I'm thinking maybe a 3.5 Ecoboost F150 would be a good way to go? The Raptor is cool but expensive and doesn't tow as much. Still, a badass truck just not for towing.

I want to be able to get both my cars to the track if necessary and also maybe get a travel trailer for fun. Maybe a boat? Who knows.

What trucks would you guys recommend?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    F450.

Lol in all seriousness, if you tow only occasionally like to the track etc I'd get the ranger, I did hear about recalls though so you may want to look into that.

If you tow alot and tow RVs for camping etc. I'd get the 3.5 Ecoboost, or the good ol v8, depending on what you want for towing and fuel economy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by F87Source Click here to enlarge
    F450.

Lol in all seriousness, if you tow only occasionally like to the track etc I'd get the ranger, I did hear about recalls though so you may want to look into that.

If you tow alot and tow RVs for camping etc. I'd get the 3.5 Ecoboost, or the good ol v8, depending on what you want for towing and fuel economy.
    I'll probably end up with the Ranger as it's so affordable. But that 3.5 Ecoboost...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Our F150 2.7 will smoke the 3.5 raptor we have.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Payam@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Our F150 2.7 will smoke the 3.5 raptor we have.
    Yeah but it's RWD right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Yeah but it's RWD right?
    Yes
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How much weight do you plan on towing and how often?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bmwcajun Click here to enlarge
    How much weight do you plan on towing and how often?
    I'd like to be able to tow ~10k and I'd say not too often. A few times a year?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you can settle for 7.5k lbs you can get the ranger, if you want to pull more you gotta get the 3.5

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd like to be able to tow ~10k and I'd say not too often. A few times a year?
    What is your price range?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bmwcajun Click here to enlarge
    What is your price range?
    Under $50k or so.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you are towing 10k get the ecoboost f150. The ecoboost gets ok mpg when not towing and plenty of power when towing. Trying to tow 10k with a ranger may be a bit much.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ram SRT10

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I want to be able to get both my cars to the track if necessary and also maybe get a travel trailer for fun. Maybe a boat? Who knows.

What trucks would you guys recommend?
    'Both cars to the track' means a 28'+ 2 car trailer, dual axle, steel, heavy, +weight of 2 cars. Probably closer to 12k total weight including the trailer. Plus weight of truck and you are looking at close to 18K pounds going down the road.

A ranger is too small and light to tow that trailer with 2 cars on it. F150 not much better.
    Don't just look at HP in a tow rig. LOOK AT BRAKES!
    And hitches and frame. Just because you have a 10k hitch, when bolted to a 7k max frame, doesn't mean you can tow 10k.

I've towed with many vehicles.
    '99 F150 with SC 4.6L- towed Jeep Cherokee on a 16' aluminum trailer-did OK, 28' boat-truck was too short
    '00 Excursion 7.3L Diesel- towed built Jeep 5k pounds on steel 22' tilt deck- plenty of power, Not enough brakes!! or suspension
    '11 Ram 5500 6.7L Crew Cab utility bed manual- beast, will tow anything, has 15.25" disc brakes front and rear, stops safely.

Real question when looking at a Tow rig-
    -New or used? Warranty?
    -tow weights, and be realistic and honest.
    -rig length and towed trailer length
    -hitches and brakes
    -how ofter will it be used, couple times a year or every month? and how far will it tow? 100 miles or 1000 miles?
    -A real tow rig or a 'toy' to modify and post on the forum?
    -Insurance? f450-550 and Ram 4500-5500 require 'Commercial' insurance. State Farm and 3 others would not put a 5500 on my regular car policy. 'Because it is a commercial vehicle' even though I only use it for personal use.
    -Financing? Bank or dealer would not finance a F450-550 or Ram 4500-5500 because it is a commercial vehicle but would nave no problem financing a F350 or Ram 3500.

I wold recommend a used F350 or Ram3500, 3 years old or so, new enough to still be under warranty and
    New Ranger or F150 with 2.7L or 3.5L to play with.

Trailers- That's a whole 'nother discussion.
    MILVs- +1mm Increase Intake Valve Lift for N52, N55, S55, N20 Engines
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...ift-more-power
    www.bimmerMILVs.com
    Coming soon: +1mm lift Exhaust cam N52 and N55

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nobody mentioned the Titan XD with the Cummins? Tows 13,0000 and about $40k

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CobraMarty Click here to enlarge
    'Both cars to the track' means a 28'+ 2 car trailer, dual axle, steel, heavy, +weight of 2 cars. Probably closer to 12k total weight including the trailer. Plus weight of truck and you are looking at close to 18K pounds going down the road.

A ranger is too small and light to tow that trailer with 2 cars on it. F150 not much better.
    And hitches and frame. Just because you have a 10k hitch, when bolted to a 7k max frame, doesn't mean you can tow 10k.

'99 F150 with SC 4.6L- towed Jeep Cherokee on a 16' aluminum trailer-did OK, 28' boat-truck was too short
    '00 Excursion 7.3L Diesel- towed built Jeep 5k pounds on steel 22' tilt deck- plenty of power, Not enough brakes!! or suspension
    '11 Ram 5500 6.7L Crew Cab utility bed manual- beast, will tow anything, has 15.25" disc brakes front and rear, stops safely.

-New or used? Warranty?
    -hitches and brakes
    -how ofter will it be used, couple times a year or every month? and how far will it tow? 100 miles or 1000 miles?
    -Insurance? f450-550 and Ram 4500-5500 require 'Commercial' insurance. State Farm and 3 others would not put a 5500 on my regular car policy. 'Because it is a commercial vehicle' even though I only use it for personal use.
    -Financing? Bank or dealer would not finance a F450-550 or Ram 4500-5500 because it is a commercial vehicle but would nave no problem financing a F350 or Ram 3500.

I wold recommend a used F350 or Ram3500, 3 years old or so, new enough to still be under warranty and

+1
    But make sure when you're towing a lot of weight you take tongue weight into consideration as the hitch may not be able to support it even if the car can tow that kind of weight. You may need to look into multiple axle trailers and goose neck hitches to get weight distribution right.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    +1
    But make sure when you're towing a lot of weight you take tongue weight into consideration as the hitch may not be able to support it even if the car can tow that kind of weight. You may need to look into multiple axle trailers and goose neck hitches to get weight distribution right.
    Seems goin gooseneck makes a lot of sense.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It might make the choice of trailers more limited and more expensive. Plus you have to look at trucks with the goose neck adapters in the bed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It might make the choice of trailers more limited and more expensive. Plus you have to look at trucks with the goose neck adapters in the bed.
    Worth it for safety though I think and most trucks can have the option outfitted from the dealer I think?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd say it's more worth it for the additional towing capacity, in regards for the safety I'm not sure. Most trucks can have this option fitted, but it depends on the need and the frame I believe. For example I don't think this would be an option for a lower towing capacity truck because it so please wouldn't ever exceed the towing capacity with a standard hitch.

But for me I like a standard hitch when just towing a car because it allows me to use the trunk of my truck for tires, fuel, tools, jacks and other random bits. This is also because I use an open trailer with no additional room for other things, to keep the weight down and enable both a truck or a high towing capacity suv to utilize it instead of just having a truck be able to tow it and thus force me to always have a truck.

Either way, just make sure you look into what kind of towing you want to do first, then figure out a truck that can do it, then look at the hitch and trailer type.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have a 2010 F350 6.4L powerstroke single rear wheel with overload springs. If you're trying to pull two cars get a diesel, it will pull so much better. I've pulled a 20' enclosed bumper trailer with my 335 in it full weight and packed full of other stuff. Pulled like a champ. I have a tune as well on it. I'm currently looking for a 24'-28' enclosed bumper that I'll put a load stabilizer and anti-sway system on for the drag car, tools, golf cart, brewskies, etc. Or I'll get a gooseneck, I don't know yet.

Honestly if you're looking to pull two cars I'm assuming you'll have a bunch of racing stuff along with you and you're looking for an enclosed trailer? That case I'd go gooseneck for sure. If you going long distances get a dually. It will be much more stable and easier to drive down the road with that extra pair of wheels. And if you have a blow out you're not taken out completely and can limp to get it fixed.

Real question is, would you rather be 'cummin or 'strokin? Click here to enlarge
    2008 E90 335i 6MT soon to be drag car
    Doc Race 6466

Instagram: @waffles_bmw

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by CobraMarty Click here to enlarge

-New or used? Warranty?
    -hitches and brakes

Another things is classification. In the great state of Illinoissss there is the standard truck classification for 1/2 ton. Once you go 3/4 ton and higher and depending on the weight you're pulling you need various classifications. Comes at a higher cost and requires to re-evaluated at particular intervals. I'm still on the typical classification with a 1 ton. It's what the dealer gave me when I bought the truck and I didn't know it until it was too late. I need to get reclassified at some point before the fuzz stops me.
    2008 E90 335i 6MT soon to be drag car
    Doc Race 6466

Instagram: @waffles_bmw

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great advice from everyone.

I think I'm pretty much settled on a Ranger or F150 Ecoboost.

I'm not going to tow all that often and when I do I will probably just tow one car at a time.

No need to waste money on some big tow rig.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Great advice from everyone.

I think I'm pretty much settled on a Ranger or F150 Ecoboost.

I'm not going to tow all that often and when I do I will probably just tow one car at a time.

No need to waste money on some big tow rig.
    Sounds good man, let us know when you buy the truck.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    So just got my Four Wheeler magazine May '19.
    Ranger 2.3L Ecoboost I4 270hp/310tq 10 speed auto
    Maximum towing capacity 7500 pounds (so your 'good' for a 7K tandem axle trailer, 1 car hauler)

In a section titled 'Towing with the Ford Ranger' by Jason Gonderman, Truck Trend Editor
    -testing and towing a boat on a trailer 6500 pounds
    -'gobs of torque, 10 speed, was suited to the job at hand
    -'one area of lacking is in the braking'
    -No option for an electric brake controller from factory. Must add aftermarket controller.
    -Even with the boats 'surge brakes', the boat tended to push the relatively light pickup around under moderate to hard braking. 'It wasn't unnerving, but it was noticeable'.
    -While rated to 7,500 pounds, We'd be a bit apprehensive at that level.

Cute truck, maybe a bit light and short for towing a car on a trailer.

As far as trailers- I've have and had so many and go round and round on what is the best.
    For you towing 1 car to track,
    I would recommend a tandem axle, electric brakes both axles, tilt deck, aluminum if you can afford it. And good straps like Erikson or equivalent, not Harbor Freight.

Ramps suck and are a PITA. And probably won't work for a lowered car or your Porsche or BMW without taking off the front bumper or using blocks and extension ramps.
    A tilt deck is really needed.
    MILVs- +1mm Increase Intake Valve Lift for N52, N55, S55, N20 Engines
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...ift-more-power
    www.bimmerMILVs.com
    Coming soon: +1mm lift Exhaust cam N52 and N55

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast