Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Oxwerkz Performance Solutions N54, N55, N52 Crank Seal Plate to prevent ingestion of serpentine belt

Ran across this piece and don't think it was posted before? Didn't realize it was a big problem or is it even common?

The Crank Seal Plate is a preventative measure application designed to protect the front crank seal and prevent the belt and belt fragments from entering the oil pan through the front crank seal in the event of a serpantine belt breakage.
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Definite problem. I don’t recall exactly, but I seem to think it had something to do with subframe damage and is more common on preLCI vehicles?

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    See and deal with it quite often unfortunately a big issue with N54s. Older cars with the common oil leaks that are neglected tend to be more prone to the issue (bad maintenance habits). Combined with the original E8x and E9x mid 2008 and prior front subframe that didn't have a clearance notch for the power steering pulley along with weak motor mounts. Sucks when it happens and many guys back out of the modding game when faced with the expenses that can result from damage of the belt making it past the seal - but most are lucky and can be repaired if done properly and willing to dig in deep enough by someone experienced.
    PERFORMANCE: Cobb AP \ JB4 \ DCI \ AR Downpipes \ CX FMIC \ ER Chargepipe \ Synapse BOV \ KW V2 \ Muffler Delete \ CDV \ ZHP Shifter \ Cyba Scoops
    FUN: LC Lemans 19" \ M3 Front \ Mtech Rear \ JL 10W6 \ ModMyNav \ V1 Hardwired \ LUX H8 \ Gloss Black Trim \ Cyba Quads \ Cyba Mtech Diffuser

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I dont think its worth $150 though

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I agree. Yes, it's "cheap insurance" but $150 for that metal plate? I don't want to hear about all the "R&D". At $75, I'd probably buy it without thinking. At $150, I'll wait for the cheaper competitor version that will follow inevitably.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You gotta love when a company introduces a product like this. It's a relevant product that addresses a known catastrophic problem. At $150??? The price gouging game just welcomes someone to copy it. N54 vendors price gouge on simple designs like fuel pump brackets for example. Then they complain because everyone stole their highly engineered bracket design. Click here to enlarge

This is a product we only buy once. Offer at a reasonable price and hit the mass demand right at intro. A good price will keep the competitors off your back long enough to sell into most of the market demand. You will make more money via sales volume. Now most of us will just wait for the copy that will sell around for 50 bucks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    To my knowledge this does not effect XI guys, as the front subframe is different.
    2007 Jet Black E90 335xi "The Mistress" / RB Next Gens / RB EVO Intake / E50 / FuelitS2 / 5" Stepped FMIC / VRSF DPs / Synapse BOV and Charge Pipe / Alpina Flash / Muffler Delete w/ 4in Black Tips / DCI / 19x8.5 Satin Black Squared Enkei Raijins / 245/35/r19 Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position / 20mm Rear Spacers / 2 10" Rockford Fosgate's Added to Logic7 (15 total speakers!)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    341 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Website literally has one product on it. Like ok, guys this is it! I am going to strike it rich with my $150 bracket! See all you broke suckers later! I'm off to the big time... Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cool product. I will buy it when it gets knocked off or is sold for a reasonable price. It is an issue on models and assuming this works, it will be cheap insurance.

It is real classy when a vendor throws shade for no reason Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Cortez08 Click here to enlarge
    At $150??? The price gouging game just welcomes someone to copy it.
    It is patented... if that means anything.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Keep me honest here but doesn't this only happen to those with old serpentine belts especially those that usually have had oil dripping on them, etc? That is what I'd always seen/heard anyway, so if correct it seems like it is best measure to just keep your car maintained.

But cool idea for those who may want the extra insurance policy, provided the belt still doesn't find its way through the seal lip/crank hub interface (which is still left uncovered) in some cases.

Rob

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    Keep me honest here but doesn't this only happen to those with old serpentine belts especially those that usually have had oil dripping on them, etc? That is what I'd always seen/heard anyway, so if correct it seems like it is best measure to just keep your car maintained.

But cool idea for those who may want the extra insurance policy, provided the belt still doesn't find its way through the seal lip/crank hub interface (which is still left uncovered) in some cases.

Rob
    Some early cars had a design flaw where the front subframe was too close to the power steering pulley causing them to make contact in certain situations, break the pulley, and shred the belt......I believe ECS makes an aluminum power steering pulley to theoretically help with this issue.....of course the belt could still shred from old age, oil exposure, etc. as well. I have a feeling though as these cars age, the power steering pulley issue will become more prevalent due to tired motor mounts allowing excessive engine movement...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    cheaper and easier than doing the revised subframe I'd think

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nikitino25 Click here to enlarge
    Some early cars had a design flaw where the front subframe was too close to the power steering pulley causing them to make contact in certain situations, break the pulley, and shred the belt......I believe ECS makes an aluminum power steering pulley to theoretically help with this issue.....of course the belt could still shred from old age, oil exposure, etc. as well. I have a feeling though as these cars age, the power steering pulley issue will become more prevalent due to tired motor mounts allowing excessive engine movement...
    Are there any documented pics of the subframe differences that cause this interference?

Thanks,
    Rob

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I know I've seen it before, just don't have time to search right now

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I believe it was addressed in SIB 11 09 08. Front axle carrier in older models known to strike power steering pulley. To be replaced under warranty by P/N 22 11 6 760 317 for E90, E92, E93 vehicles produced up to 03-19-07

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is pretty common on older/poorly maintained N54s. Have seen a few personally. I though about making something like this before, and I should have if they are trying to sell them for $150 a piece lmao.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    150 is WAY overpriced. Does the seller ever get on here ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I saw something on vader's solution's instagram about him working on something like this awhile back but no updates since.

I wish there was more competition or alternatives (probably harder since it is patented) because $150 for a metal plate is pure bmw tax.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Exactly. Even though there is a patent, there is always room for competition. Minor changes will go around a patent.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm al about advocating to pay the premium for good quality stuff and supporting the community to help it grow, however I do not support BS bmw and bmw ///M taxes. For example exhausts where a vendor may make a BS excuse of how their welds make their exhaust worth $5K because it is better than the rest of the competition (not always the case, check out some JDM companies making excellent products for extremely affordable prices), or a simple axle back with "special engineering" for superior flow and better welds make it worth more than an entire catback exhaust for JDM cars...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by F87Source Click here to enlarge
    I'm al about advocating to pay the premium for good quality stuff and supporting the community to help it grow, however I do not support BS bmw and bmw ///M taxes. For example exhausts where a vendor may make a BS excuse of how their welds make their exhaust worth $5K because it is better than the rest of the competition (not always the case, check out some JDM companies making excellent products for extremely affordable prices), or a simple axle back with "special engineering" for superior flow and better welds make it worth more than an entire catback exhaust for JDM cars...
    Your argument works if you ignore volume.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
    Your argument works if you ignore volume.
    True, but you can't sell high volume products if you over price things. Look at BMS super affordable but absolutely excellent quality, practically every BMW guy I know has at one point used, or is still using jb4, because it's affordable but a great product.

Alot of these overpriced axle back guys imo don't even have the quality to justify the price... This ofc isn't always the case, sometimes you do see a product that is definitely worth the increased price but you'll also see the opposite.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Something worth noting. It's not patented. It's "Patent Pending". Also the patent # listed isn't in the correct format and although I didn't spend a great deal of time searching, couldn't find it on the US patent website. I'm not entirely sure what they could be seeking to patent. It's a big washer with mounting tabs.

Kind of absurd that this little thing is more expensive than the crank bolt capture.

Failure at Crank Hub $$$ > Broken Serpentine $

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mooose14 Click here to enlarge
    Kind of absurd that this little thing is more expensive than the crank bolt capture.

Failure at Crank Hub $$$ > Broken Serpentine $
    +1
    Ain't that the truth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast