Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Best Wireless Home Network System

So weve finally outgrown our AirPort Extreme that weve had for years. Im looking at different mesh networks. Weve got a little over 3000sqft with a basement, main floor and upstairs. Along with about a 1/3 acre outside Id like to cover. We also have about 75 devices that need to connect (some 2.4GHz, most 5GHz). Currently on cable modem with 200Mb/s down and about 20 up. Im very technologically savvy (ie Im fine with more complex configurations). So far Ive purchased:

Tenda MW6 - already returning it. Sucked. It limits the number of devices that can attach at 5GHz.

Netgear Orbi Tri-band AC2200 router with two satellites. On its way. I like that it has its own dedicated 5GHz backhaul channel. I also like that you can run it in star or daisy-chain configuration.

Google Wifi. 3 unit configuration. On its way. Has very good reviews. Know a lot of folks with them who are happy (but typically with less devices than us). Dont like that they are unlikely to update in the future.

Any others I should consider? Anyone else who has done similar research recently?

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by richpike Click here to enlarge
    Netgear Orbi Tri-band AC2200 router with two satellites. On it’s way. I like that it has its own dedicated 5GHz backhaul channel. I also like that you can run it in star or daisy-chain configuration.
    I bought this but have yet to install it. I can do it tomorrow?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I bought this but have yet to install it. I can do it tomorrow?
    Cool. Let me know what you think. Mine has been delayed due to weather Click here to enlarge

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I like the Amplifi HD due to the fact that you could priotize traffic to specific device IIRC and other things that I don't remember (at least parenting stuff). I only use 2 beams/antennas as our home is only 2,600/2-story.

I'v read great things about Linksys Velop or whatever the name is and so is Google's.

I doubt that you will survive with 75 devices unless most of them home-automation and not actual streaming users.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
    I like the Amplifi HD due to the fact that you could priotize traffic to specific device IIRC and other things that I don't remember (at least parenting stuff). I only use 2 beams/antennas as our home is only 2,600/2-story.

I'v read great things about Linksys Velop or whatever the name is and so is Google's.

I doubt that you will survive with 75 devices unless most of them home-automation and not actual streaming users.
    Ha! Should have mentioned that. Most are home automation (not like we live in a youth hostel LOL). But that’s what was getting frustrating before - lots of devices offline because they’d get bumped. I’ll check out the Amplifi - thanks for the tip!

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by richpike Click here to enlarge
    Ha! Should have mentioned that. Most are home automation (not like we live in a youth hostel LOL). But thats what was getting frustrating before - lots of devices offline because theyd get bumped. Ill check out the Amplifi - thanks for the tip!

-Rich
    Which system do you use for HA? I use home-assistant. We have a thread going on here as well.

https://www.boostaddict.com/showthre...omation-thread

Here's my latest GUI from phone

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Which system do you use for HA? I use home-assistant. We have a thread going on here as well.

https://www.boostaddict.com/showthre...omation-thread

Here's my latest GUI from phone

Click here to enlarge
    Dang - I have a lot to learn! We’ve just been using echo dots in all the rooms with a bunch of WiFi plugs/switches. But we do have our garage doors, multiple cameras and thermostats, etc online as well. Love the idea of being able to control/monitor them all from a single app, especially with IFFFT support. I’ll need to look at that thread some more. My current favorite is we have amazon fires on all the TVs so I can pull up any of our security cameras on them. Especially nice when the kids are playing outside and I’m working.

Sweet! I’m excited.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So I’ve settled on the Orbi. It’s fantastic. We’ve had it in for the last week, and it seems to support all our automation devices and support excellent speeds. In fact, we maxed out our internet service so I just upgraded it as well. Wish we had fiber to our house. Some day!

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice!!! Which provider do you have? I'm tempting to add this one to one of our 3 networks to serve HA and guests. Last time my in-laws visiting us and i put them on the HA network, Netgear router, not the Orbi, couldn't hold the candle (8 kids streaming and 20 or so HA devices). The router crashes.

https://unifi-nanohd.ubnt.com/ 200 concurrent users, enterprise class wifi for $179...so tempting.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice!!! Which provider do you have? I'm tempting to add this one to one of our 3 networks to serve HA and guests. Last time my in-laws visiting us and i put them on the HA network, Netgear router, not the Orbi, couldn't hold the candle (8 kids streaming and 20 or so HA devices). The router crashes.

https://unifi-nanohd.ubnt.com/ 200 concurrent users, enterprise class wifi for $179...so tempting.
    That NanoHD is sweet. Great price too.

We’re on xfinity. I’m pleased with them - but I wish we could get fibre. The max we can get is 400Mb/s down and something like 20Mb/s up. CenturyLink supports fibre to the houses across the street, but not us. Click here to enlarge. Someday.

-Rich