Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Log to Check Out | Fuel Pump Rewire

To start: https://datazap.me/u/sleet142/170-lo...20-23-27-30-31

I've found that my vehicle will do anything in its power to reach load requested. In the log above I zeroed out the PID factors, and in my rpmxboost setpoint table, set base values for spool from my other logs and have the higher rpm WGDC at 5% across the board. The car still added WGDC around 4000rpm, but then sat with the boost 0.3 above setpoint at the commanded 5%. I imagine if I kept going, the car would take WG out and follow setpoint instead of following the base value.

-The car has 10psi WG springs. 12.6psi actual.
    -All of the original tables pertaining to WG control is zeroed out.
    -In this case PID factors are zeroed.
    -BRO is at 95% in an attempt to have the boost actual below setpoint.
    -I've tried modified P-factor tables and d-factor tables prior to zeroing out all of them.
    -In all of my tuning attempts, the car will have boost actual at the 0.3 or so above setpoint.

-My question is, do I need to move the load request far outside of 170?
    -Or does the car still have a base PID that it is using, and I have my table set in a way that the car can still hit load req. and control the mac solenoid?
    -Or is this perfectly normal and i should continue to carry on with no PID factors?

Thanks
    2008 E92 BMW 335i 6MT
    DocRace 6266 | Boostbox | Mfactory Flywheel | Spec 3+ | VRSF Race Intercooler | Rewired Walbro 525

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Follow up: https://datazap.me/u/sleet142/no-wgd...24-25-26-30-31

Seems I am turning this into self help.

I zeroed out my WGDC and PID with an elevated load at 190 for a test.

The results show for themselves. I was far under calculating the load and the car was closing the throttle to control the boost. In this run, the car left the throttle open as the boost and load actual raised throughout the rpm. Though never reaching load setpoint.

I am very surprised that I am making 17.5psi with 0% WGDC at 6000 rpm.

It also seems that I have over done my trims. Way to rich.

On to the next revision. Until next time.
    2008 E92 BMW 335i 6MT
    DocRace 6266 | Boostbox | Mfactory Flywheel | Spec 3+ | VRSF Race Intercooler | Rewired Walbro 525

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Follow Up 2: https://datazap.me/u/sleet142/no-wgd...24-25-26-30-31

In this revision I adjusted the load and fuel trims to more closely reflect what was occurring in the first baseline. I also added the PID back into the tune, but left the WGDC at 0%.

LPFP is crashing. Not much else to say.

Tuning plans will continue after a new fuel pump is purchased.

Until next time.
    2008 E92 BMW 335i 6MT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    2008 E92 BMW 335i 6MT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Update:

I went the DIY route of upgrading my fuel pump. I rewired my fuel pump with a MSD solid state relay, purchased a KPD bucketless bracket, a Holley Hydramat, and a walbro 525.

Notes:

-I rewired my fuel pump to address the concerns about the current draw on a Walbro 525 through the EKP. I went into this DIY full knowing that I wanted a 525, so keep that in mind. Also, I initially rewired the pump with the stock pump to prep for the 525, and the idle fuel pressure went up to 89 PSI.
    -Total costs was around $700. Cheaper if you get a Walbro 450.
    -The KPD bracket may be purchased with an additional bracket to fit a second pump.
    -I used the MSD SSR and the KPD bracket so that I could: 1. activate the relay through a +12v source (ekp) instead of a typical ground activated relay. 2. Add a hobb switch and 2nd fuel pump in the future if I ever decided to go that route.

Impressions?

It's 50 degrees here and the car just blows the tires off! I will get you all a dyno log in the near future. But for now I am just happy to have the fuel pump done and upgraded.
    2008 E92 BMW 335i 6MT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thread title renamed by request

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sleet142 Click here to enlarge
    Follow Up 2: https://datazap.me/u/sleet142/no-wgd...24-25-26-30-31

In this revision I adjusted the load and fuel trims to more closely reflect what was occurring in the first baseline. I also added the PID back into the tune, but left the WGDC at 0%.

LPFP is crashing. Not much else to say.

Tuning plans will continue after a new fuel pump is purchased.

Until next time.
    Looks like boost mean / error is over target after the throttle closes from the load overshoot.
    Odd that almost no WGDC gives you a bit more boost than your WG spring is set for.

https://datazap.me/u/sleet142/no-wgd...-30-31&mark=30

Have you tried raising load out of the way and setting your boost targets via BLM?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by WOT808 Click here to enlarge
    Looks like boost mean / error is over target after the throttle closes from the load overshoot.
    Odd that almost no WGDC gives you a bit more boost than your WG spring is set for.

https://datazap.me/u/sleet142/no-wgd...-30-31&mark=30

Have you tried raising load out of the way and setting your boost targets via BLM?
    I have yet to give BLM a shot. This log was after I adjusted the load to reflect near what load actual was after pushing it out of the way.

At the moment I am still having HPFP crashes on the top end, even with the walbro 525. I adjusted trims and afr and still seem to have an issue. I plan to purchase a new one and see how it goes.

It seems spool mode still sets a wgdc value even with base at 0. (I'm using RPMxBoostSetpoint)

My next move should be to use BLM and set load out of the way. I've had boost be consistantly above setpoint by 0.2-7. So I think I should take your consideration.
    2008 E92 BMW 335i 6MT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    @WOT808

https://datazap.me/u/sleet142/using-...3-7-8-26-30-31

log with BLM and load out of the way.

After PID timed out, the car settled down. But before that the car oscillated a lot. Either the MAC solenoid needs a higher duty cycle base, PID reworked, lower the load request, or go back to using load as my control.

Also, I un-plumbed my WG's and re-plumbed them. I am thinking my MAC solenoid had port 1 and 2 backwards.
    2008 E92 BMW 335i 6MT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Your turbo doesn't have a rapid response to the WGDC fluctuation.

I'm still on stock turbos but the concept should be the same. Looks like WGDC Base is too low and PID is using a wide range to try to compensate.

Log maf req wgdc g/s, you'll use that for the BLM axis.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Update:

https://datazap.me/u/sleet142/153-lp...19-20-24-30-31

I'm using the stock BLM table to shape the spool/exit spool area due to having my rail pressures crash recently. I set 350 breakpoint at 2.42, which is the 16 psi as seen in the log. Load is out of the way at 195.

Next:

I am setting the BLM higher and am going to shape the spool using load requests, mean-while allowing the car to target some more boost up top. Also, my load limit factor is going to be set to .087 to try and perform a similar action that the BLM is, and have the car target just under the load request to give it a cushion.
    2008 E92 BMW 335i 6MT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I'd give it more WGDC base in the 2.0 + setpoint area if you want to get closer to target.
    Looks like PID doesn't have enough range to reach that far off from base.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree, good sir. Here is the run after moving BLM and load target up.

https://datazap.me/u/sleet142/154-lp...19-20-24-30-31

I'm happy the PID is not timing out like others have had issues with. But the car just doesn't reach target, like you said.

Honestly, I'd rather be tuning below setpoint (like the situation I am in) rather than figuring out why the car is overboosting.
    2008 E92 BMW 335i 6MT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Update:

https://datazap.me/u/sleet142/2019-a...5-6-8-24-30-31

Car makes 18.5 psi at the moment.

I don't really remember what I have done to the tune other than Setting BLM out of the way and increasing load throughout the RPM range to keep boost consistant. (This being with the load limit multiplier at one consistent value)
    2008 E92 BMW 335i 6MT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Update: https://datazap.me/u/sleet142/161-bl...&data=3-6-8-24

Flashed to stock. Stop using the boost x gear tables, and now only use the boost-setpoint x wgdc table along with the stock tables.

I have also moved to BLM tuning with the load out of the way, which has been working much much better
    2008 E92 BMW 335i 6MT