Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2439 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

The new G29 Z4 M40i tested around the Nurburgring and it does a disappointing 7:55.41

Ouch. An E46 M3 CSL tested way back in the day on a much slower Nurburgring managed a 7:50. A much heavier BMW F90 M5 will do a 7:38. How is the Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio SUV lapping almost five seconds quicker than a brand new and much lighter BMW roadster?

Click here to enlarge

A 7:55 is not a terrible time in historical context but it is not good for 2018 when Nurburgring times have moved forward so much and BMW is building a platform to be shared with a Toyota Supra sports car.

BimmerBoost hates to already be complaining about the new Z4 but an M version is absolutely necessary to take it seriously as a performance car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hmm, didn’t watch the video, but my first guess is tires. They’re probably one of the biggest innovations that has driven down Nurburgring times. Or maybe it’s a heat soak issue? Or weather? Or $#@!ty driver? I expect this time to fall, but it is pretty disappointing.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by richpike Click here to enlarge
    Hmm, didn’t watch the video, but my first guess is tires. They’re probably one of the biggest innovations that has driven down Nurburgring times. Or maybe it’s a heat soak issue? Or weather? Or $#@!ty driver? I expect this time to fall, but it is pretty disappointing.

-Rich
    It is not the driver and it is a test mule so BMW knew it was hitting the 'Ring.

Tires were not mentioned.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I wonder how much difference 50hp makes...this is the euroverion so its down 40-50 hp on the us versions

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Optigrab Click here to enlarge
    I wonder how much difference 50hp makes...this is the euroverion so its down 40-50 hp on the us versions
    Excellent point. I forgot that.

Power pays major dividends on a track that long. That is how a big fat sedan beats a lighter roadster.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How is the vert faster than the M2? What year did they make improvements to the track?

The new BMW M2 is faster than the E92 M3 around Nurburgring. According to BMW, the M2 runs around the famous track in 7:58 minutes, 7 seconds faster than the V8 E92 M3. The BMW 1M ran the Nurburgring in 8:12 seconds, while the M3 CSL ran the same lap in 7:50 seconds. The standard BMW M4 Coupe recorded a lap time of 7:52 minutes.
    https://www.bmwblog.com/2015/10/13/7...er-and-slower/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    M4 - 7:52
    M2comp - 7:54
    M2 - 7:58

Give it the missing 50hp the US version is getting, it will be quicker than the M4 factory time. Looks promising for the new Supra, which is said to be a little lighter and have a stiffer chassis.

So, ring times are now going to be useless because of EU regulations. All new Euro cars are now getting these gas particulate filters that handicap HP. EU Z4 M40i is down nearly 50hp, that’s a huge difference. New 718 GT4 will have particulate filters as well, surely will affect a normally aspirated motor greatly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    perfect time for 340hp and convertible, change the title

no way to compare it to the m3 CSL

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135idct Click here to enlarge
    perfect time for 340hp and convertible, change the title

no way to compare it to the m3 CSL
    Tires are better now, the Nurburgring itself was repaved and is faster, and it is not a quick lap.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    To put that in perspective, it’s as fast or faster around the Nordschleife as a 996 GT3, Ferrari 360, Ferrari F430 F1, Corvette C6 Z51, Mercedes SLR McLaren, CLK63 AMG Black Series, CLK DTM AMG or a 996/997 Turbo. It think it’s a fine lap for what it is. This stupid car is as fast as supercars from a decade ago.

And I don’t think it has been completely repaved, although a few sections have been smoothed out so cars don’t fly off track anymore.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You really think this car is a match for a Mclaren-SLR?

Tnat right there illustrates how much Nurburgring times have evolved.