Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Looking for an N54 clutch upgrade? XClutch E82 135i, E9X 335i, and E89 Z4 twin disc kit

Finding a good clutch upgrade for your 6-speed manual N54 is not quite as easy as it sounds. Various horror stories with certain companies have led to BimmerBoost members exploring other options and one such option is this twin disc N54 kit from XClutch USA.

Click here to enlarge

If you have not heard of XClutch it is because they originated in Australia but they are now boosting up their US presence. They have will have clutch kits available through American distributors for various platforms including the N54, EVO, Mustang, Motorsport applications, etc.

Currently BimmerBoost member @martymil is running this upgrade without issue on his E82 1M that is pushing considerable torque. So far his reports are quite positive.

We expect to see many more XClutch N54 kits making their way to US enthusiasts.

Click here to enlarge

XClutch has introduced a new twin disc organic clutch kit for BMW 135i and 335i. The new performance upgrade has been designed specifically for high horsepower vehicles that are still driven on the street.

Consisting of two 230mm organic clutch discs, alloy racing pressure plate and single mass chromoly flywheel, the new kit provides 1300kg clamp load whilst still offering exceptional driveability. The kit also includes a thrust bearing and steel clutch alignment tool. A variety of options are also available to suit either a 6 bolt or 8 bolt crankshaft.

“We are pleased to be able to offer new twin disc kits to suit the BMW 135i and 335i.” says Brenton Jordan, Australian Clutch Services Managing Director, “The new kits will be ideal to suit demand from Australia and our various international markets.”

XClutch also list a twin plate ceramic and twin plate carbon version of the clutch for racing applications as well as a variety of single plate options. The kits fit E92 and E93 versions of the 335i, E82 and E88 versions of the 135i and the E89 3.0L BMW Z4.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

This will be the clutch I end up purchasing 100%. I just wished there was a group buy or something... but that can be hard to organize for such an expensive piece.

I'm curious which throw out bearing I should go with? OEM or the one XClutch supplies. @martymil

Thanks,

Simmi
    2008 335xi MT Coupe. Sparkling Graphite. Pro-tune by Twisted Tuning. AD-e 650hp FMIC/Charge pipe w/ BOV. CP-e downpipes. KW V1 suspension.Click here to enlarge.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Simmi15 Click here to enlarge
    This will be the clutch I end up purchasing 100%. I just wished there was a group buy or something... but that can be hard to organize for such an expensive piece.

I'm curious which throw out bearing I should go with? OEM or the one XClutch supplies. @martymil

Thanks,

Simmi
    Expensive group buys tend to fall apart but I can try if you guys like?

Maybe best to let individuals buy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This clutch is absolutely amazing, it has taken everything I have thrown at it.

The only gripe i had was that the thrust bearing was pretty loud at first but it settled down after a few thousand kilometers.

As i have the street version I don't launch as this will kill the organic clutch really quickly but that doesn't mean you can't have fun especially with my high torque monster.

The take up is silky smooth, gear changes are firm but not violent like a kevlar clutch especially at high rpm.

I took my time running this clutch in like the first 1000km was a lot of city driving and 500km of mountain carving followed by just having a lot of fun.

Just take your time bedding this clutch in, its worth it.

You don't have to do it like that but im ocd about my car and do a lot of things over the top.

I'm not the only one running this clutch now and there is a couple of guys in the US that have them, maybe they can report on their experience too.

There will a lot of great products coming from the land of oz for our platform its just taken extra time for the manufactures to realize there is a market for it.

But that's another headline for the future.
    Bmw 1 series M 11.4@127mph

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Here are some more pics.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Their multi-plate carbon clutches have been behind many high horsepower turbo 6's in Australia over the years.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by imola_shaun Click here to enlarge
    Their multi-plate carbon clutches have been behind many high horsepower turbo 6's in Australia over the years.
    Yep. Nice to see them finally pushing into the US market.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by martymil Click here to enlarge
    This clutch is absolutely amazing, it has taken everything I have thrown at it.

The only gripe i had was that the thrust bearing was pretty loud at first but it settled down after a few thousand kilometers.

As i have the street version I don't launch as this will kill the organic clutch really quickly but that doesn't mean you can't have fun especially with my high torque monster.

The take up is silky smooth, gear changes are firm but not violent like a kevlar clutch especially at high rpm.

I took my time running this clutch in like the first 1000km was a lot of city driving and 500km of mountain carving followed by just having a lot of fun.

Just take your time bedding this clutch in, its worth it.

You don't have to do it like that but im ocd about my car and do a lot of things over the top.

I'm not the only one running this clutch now and there is a couple of guys in the US that have them, maybe they can report on their experience too.

There will a lot of great products coming from the land of oz for our platform its just taken extra time for the manufactures to realize there is a market for it.

But that's another headline for the future.
    Hey @martymil,

So you are saying I should use the Throw out bearing from Xclutch? I'm just nervous because I have heard so many people use the OEM bearing with the SPEC clutches with success... but that could be because SPEC is china's most popular aftermarket clutch customer.
    @Sticky,

How many people do you think we would need for a group buy to get XClutch interested? I would think more than 5? but I know you have more experience than me on this matter(creeping in background since 2015)

Thanks,

Simmi
    2008 335xi MT Coupe. Sparkling Graphite. Pro-tune by Twisted Tuning. AD-e 650hp FMIC/Charge pipe w/ BOV. CP-e downpipes. KW V1 suspension.Click here to enlarge.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How many people do you think we would need for a group buy to get XClutch interested? I would think more than 5? but I know you have more experience than me on this matter(creeping in background since 2015)

Thanks,

Simmi
    Most vendors like 10 but I can reach out if you like.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You can use either x-clutch said as long as they are exactly the same height but that's here in oz.

I prefer the metal one as I know it wont fail, I done two oem ones on other cars that didnt come out pretty and could have been the cause of the failure due the bearing coming apart and grease spraying all over the pressure plate.

The metal one will be very noisy at first but did settle down by around 80%, you can still hear it ever so slightly but only when standing still in traffic and while the clutch is pressed in.

Turn the idle up to 900rpm and the gearbox is silent.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here are some more pics
    @Steve30 how is your clutch doing ?

BTW I have no low rpm cabin vibration in 6th like other twin plates but I did have the
    damper, crank, flywheel and pressure plate balanced as one during my engine build.

Never had it on a stock motor.

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Most vendors like 10 but I can reach out if you like.
    Personally, I am all about it... so lets try? I might be a lone wolf on this one though.

You can use either x-clutch said as long as they are exactly the same height but that's here in oz.

I prefer the metal one as I know it wont fail, I done two oem ones on other cars that didnt come out pretty and could have been the cause of the failure due the bearing coming apart and grease spraying all over the pressure plate.

The metal one will be very noisy at first but did settle down by around 80%, you can still hear it ever so slightly but only when standing still in traffic and while the clutch is pressed in.

Turn the idle up to 900rpm and the gearbox is silent.
    I agree with you on that logic!! I'll use the one that XClutch supplies. Any other recommendations on other stuff as my transmission parts are mostly stock?(trans mounts, fluid, etc)... RTD V4 carbon shifter sitting in a box in my garage lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here are some more pics
    @Steve30 how is your clutch doing ?

BTW I have no low rpm cabin vibration in 6th like other twin plates but I did have the
    damper, crank, flywheel and pressure plate balanced as one during my engine build.

Never had it on a stock motor.

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

The clutch is doing great, no issues with it. I have no vibrations either. Quite happy with the decision.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Personally, I am all about it... so lets try? I might be a lone wolf on this one though.
    Ok, let me give it a shot.

Anyone else interested kindly chime in or PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

+1 very interested in Group Buy, im in Sea.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Don't forget to include your location guys.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Price on these?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GreyNBlueE92 Click here to enlarge
    Price on these?
    Good question, probably should have provided that.

Let me find out.
    @martymil might have the pricing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Need the part number you need and i can find out for you

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Need the part number you need and i can find out for you
    The pic you posted with the part numbers is too small to read.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Get tne part numbers from the catalog https://www.xclutchusa.com/product-r...duct-selection

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Get tne part numbers from the catalog https://www.xclutchusa.com/product-r...duct-selection
    Well yes there you go Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Steve30 Click here to enlarge
    The clutch is doing great, no issues with it. I have no vibrations either. Quite happy with the decision.
    There you go guys, another satisfied customer.

These clutches are hugely used in Australia and I personally have used them with great success in the past on all my cars with no issues.

I would have brought this in the first place but it wasn't available at the time.

I'll get some pricing for you guys shortly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I can't get any xclutch pricing as they are still setting up and looks like the whole range has been updated since mine

All the part numbers are different.

You guys will have to contact the local supplier.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If/when my spec 3+ goes out this may be a good option.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast