Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by maximum96 Click here to enlarge
    I back up the claims of the excellent customer service and zero issues with turbos here, RB OEM billets, wish I went bigger though!
    Wish more people spoke out.

If someone is unhappy, they scream and yell across the forums. The happy guys rarely post and certainly aren't as loud.

Anyway, bigger hybrids or you mean go to a single?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Bigger hybrids, wish I purchased the RB twos! I would say RB customer service is comparable to Terry Burger! I am FBO rb OEM billets, Inlets, outlets MHD JB4 Xph... will get a personal tune most likely from twisted tuning then need to find an awd dyno near me to see if any gains with this billet compressor wheels over OEM wheels! I am holding boost to 20psi target perfectly and looks like alot more room for more boost! 535xi and it was not a pretty install though!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Appreciate the kind words guys. Just trying to let it be known just how good the aftermarket turbo world can be when products are dialed in, hell they seem to still work even after removed from blown engines.Click here to enlarge

On that note the RB Next Gen Plus setup (#2 discussed above) arrived yesterday and fully dismantled today. All looked good with them, wheels perfect, no housing scuffs, no shaft play, etc... quite frankly they'd still function just fine had they been reinstalled as-is; BUT they did suffer some very light bearing scoring (from the popped engine they were installed on) so the rebuild is certainly warranted.

Rob

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by maximum96 Click here to enlarge
    wish I purchased the RB twos!!
    Hey man it is not too late as we will be rolling out the RB Twos soon... the now 9 month Beta program has been flawless thus far.Click here to enlarge

Just need to get back on top of the N54 orders, we have been absolutely bombarded with turbo orders over the past several months. Literally it has been non-stop and our turn around times have been suffering tremendously because of it, just can not keep up at the moment.

Anyway hopefully things lighten up so we can get on some other BMW engines as well, have tons of sweet parts just waiting!

Rob

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    Hey man it is not too late as we will be rolling out the RB Twos soon...
    How do these differ or what do the RB Twos offer?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    How do these differ or what do the RB Twos offer?
    Most of our competitors offer Stage 2 type turbos using TD03 center sections, and this method of building turbos is much easier (and less expensive) per se. Since the beginning of time our stage 2 (and upward turbos) have all been built with TD04 center sections, which is very painful and expensive to accomplish.

So we are now offering the Stage 2 type setups too (with TD03 center sections) but our mark up is very low as we operate with very low overhead and have all our turbo machinery paid off/etc. At the end of the day this means great prices for the consumer along with performance that rivals the best of them, all using Authentic components and built/balanced 100% in the USA with cutting edge machinery (by yours trulyClick here to enlarge).

Rob

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What power are you making?
    Thinking 550ish hp and close to 600 tq. (tuner guesitimates and VD matches pretty closely). Makes sense the trans is having a fit.
    2007 Jet Black E90 335xi "The Mistress" / RB Next Gens / RB EVO Intake / E50 / FuelitS2 / 5" Stepped FMIC / VRSF DPs / Synapse BOV and Charge Pipe / Alpina Flash / Muffler Delete w/ 4in Black Tips / DCI / 19x8.5 Satin Black Squared Enkei Raijins / 245/35/r19 Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position / 20mm Rear Spacers / 2 10" Rockford Fosgate's Added to Logic7 (15 total speakers!)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by I6+TT=FTW Click here to enlarge
    Thinking 550ish hp and close to 600 tq. (tuner guesitimates and VD matches pretty closely). Makes sense the trans is having a fit.
    Who tuned it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Justin H - v8bait
    2007 Jet Black E90 335xi "The Mistress" / RB Next Gens / RB EVO Intake / E50 / FuelitS2 / 5" Stepped FMIC / VRSF DPs / Synapse BOV and Charge Pipe / Alpina Flash / Muffler Delete w/ 4in Black Tips / DCI / 19x8.5 Satin Black Squared Enkei Raijins / 245/35/r19 Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position / 20mm Rear Spacers / 2 10" Rockford Fosgate's Added to Logic7 (15 total speakers!)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

This is a good spot to be IMO. A solid turbo setup making this amount of power is a fun street car and still capable of the same best 1/4 mile times that we have seen for years now. Not only this it (mostly) keeps you out of the danger zone, not that many in this community think it is the case but these engines are dropping like flies as many push them along. Those who lose their engines after pushing the envelope need to talk about it, but many (or most) do not unfortunately and everyone else keeps falling victim to the same thing (over and over). Same thing with these max effort dynos, "my car made 700rwhp" then blows something up (and never talks about it)... and the next guy only sees the "victory" in it all and wants to make 725rwhp. Rinse, Repeat.

Much like those glory beyond the ragged edge dynos vendors use for turbo marketing, heating up weather stations to get the figures, etc. lol; and then saying the turbos are "GOOD for xxxrwhp". Ummm, that is not "good for" man... that is what you got by cheating everything possible for marketing and your turbos and engine were about ready to explode in the process (and probably did).

Lots of coming back down to planet earth needed in this platform IMO.

Rob

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've been running the RB Ones for about 7 months I'd say. Rob's customer service and time-frame he gives is spot on. No complaints. That being said I'm saving up for a clutch because it's slipping. I'll try to report back once I've gotten that done and the car tuned for the set up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Justin H - v8bait
    That's pretty good at elevation.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by shwnalan Click here to enlarge
    That being said I'm saving up for a clutch because it's slipping
    Do you know whose clutch you are going to go with?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do you know whose clutch you are going to go with?
    Honestly, I'm not 100% certain. The car may never see more than this turbo on it. If I upgraded I would need to change out the intercooler and a few other parts. The car sadly is not worth that much more investment to me. That being said I've looked at the Stage 3 clutch offerings from various vendors, or their equivalent. Probably a Spec 3+. It'll be a bit before I do that. Dropping 2k isn't exactly in my immediate future

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo Click here to enlarge
    Another month gone by and an astronomical amount of orders being shipped this season, probably the busiest we have ever been mostly thanks to the wide variety and offerings we have to fit most all budgets and performance goals. So it has been very busy which is both good for business yet bad for anxiety (as all turbo purchasers are always in "dire" need of them).

On the note of the thread however it was NOT so quiet this month (after a LONGstanding sound of crickets) as noted below:
    1) RB Next Gens thought to have bit the bullet, however further investigation let to a tanked engine. RB Next Gens returned for inspection (and further upgrades) and found to be perfect. This is the first set of RB Next Gens to have been returned since 11/2016, and could've easily had tons of life in them even after surviving a blown motor.
    2) RB Next Gen Plus being sent back (not yet in hand), owner said they also tanked their engine. They are likely just rebuilding the RB Next Gen Plus as is (still TBD), owner just wanted to ensure they are good for the install on the new engine which is the prudent thing to do considering they share the same oil and the turbines are downstream of the pistons. This is the first set of RB Next Gen Plus to ever come back since production began 10/2016.

Just to clearly note that BOTH of the above are due to popped engines- so the N54 engine itself is seeming to be the fuse anymore. Not sure if this is better than the turbos being the fuse or not... Click here to enlarge

We did get another complaint of some RB Ones that may have failed, details are sketchy but here is what we know:
    1) Original owner was pushing them well beyond the recommended range (including much road racing) for about a year without any issue.
    2) Original owner sold car to another, completely healthy.
    3) The new owner apparently drove the car as if it was GTA for about 5 hours and something gave up (engine/turbos/both).
    4) That new owner instantly sold car to yet another "new" owner (in broken form), who is trying to determine the extent of damages from the short ownership of the one in between.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Another month gone by and we just received word about the RB Ones noted in the last update having literally grenaded off the entire turbine wheel at the shaft. We have not been able to get an answer on the engine condition, but so far seems to be well inline with the GTA escapade as described from the latter purchaser.

We received back another voluntary rebuilder set of Super RB EVO 17T's due to being installed on a failed motor. This engine lost a couple cylinder ringlands and scored a couple cylinder walls, but internally kept much integrity and no piston debris apparently went outwards due to turbo condition. These turbos were in perfect condition sans a lot of build up of crud on the turbines from the failed cylinders puking on them, however much more time they probably would've failed just due to an ever degrading balance from aforementioned buildup.

We also received another set of Super RB EVO 17T's back due to yet another clapped out N54 engine failure, although this set did not survive the ordeal...

Ultimately now this makes 4 fried engines (reported) over the past 60 days...Click here to enlarge

We are telling you guys that these engines are not all that "rock solid"... so expect failures when pushing things whether if its 6 months, 12 months, 18 months, etc... your N54 short block's clock is ticking. Honestly it is very much starting to become quite the nuisance really for just anyone chasing power, and it is a large waste of time and money for everyone. In short operate your hardware responsibly, tune with excess care, always run the best fuel, don't chase ragged edge power levels, and cross your damn fingers.

Rob
    Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 08-14-2018 at 01:41 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    May we know what kind of power these engines were running at ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Traf Click here to enlarge
    May we know what kind of power these engines were running at ?
    Quick guesstimates around 550-625whp.

We do not take a lot of time asking lots of details, logs, fuel types, who is tuning, etc. Just not enough time in the day and it would only cause drama to provide the details if we acquired them.

Ultimately we are thankful we are getting some honesty about the engines failing rather than "The engines perfect and Turbos only had 50 miles and that was only grandma driving it to church one day and she never went into boost." All said out of the 4 engine failed sets (8 units) only one of them had the turbine taking a hit, the rest looked fairly normal for being used.

Rob

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thats it ? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Happy RBTurbo customer here. Parts appeared very high quality from what I saw, installer said fitment of inlets/outlets was better than stock. Working through a potential installer issue on unrelated parts then its time to make some power!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by beakmoney Click here to enlarge
    Happy RBTurbo customer here. Parts appeared very high quality from what I saw, installer said fitment of inlets/outlets was better than stock. Working through a potential installer issue on unrelated parts then its time to make some power!
    The RB people just tend to be quiet on the forums if they are on the forums at all.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The RB people just tend to be quiet on the forums if they are on the forums at all.
    That "silent majority" eh? Lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well i'm stopping at 20.5psi, i hope the engine will last a little bit...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by langsbr Click here to enlarge
    That "silent majority" eh? Lol
    It is almost alarming how much of the traffic just browses/lurks.

Some me of you might scare people...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Some post online but the posts seem to be very discreet or unnoticed. Like the guy who went 11.0 on our RB Two Betas at 22psi a few months back which is pretty much unheard of over the course of platform history, but when they posted about it no one cared online. We thought that result was extremely impressive. Regardless we remain extremely busy and sales continue to mount to the point of being over the top, too much actually. Meanwhile we have tons of custom parts here for other much more lucrative engine platforms that we have not even the time to look at which is a large bummer as we know we are selling ourselves way short by continuing full dedication to the N54 as we have for the past 8+ years.

On point of this thread and the updates we have been providing, these are things we are taking the liberty to share with the public. We have no reason to believe any of these individuals were going to post anything negative about RB, as nearly every one has a confirmed tanked N54 engine so far and those guys usually do not ever say a peep. We are simply doing it for them to enlighten the public as to what really happens out there in the real world, perhaps it will help save another N54 long block from being tossed in the garbage. This is information that is away from the typical snapshot in time (dyno sheet or drag event) that another enthusiast will see online and want the same (or better) results. For these reasons we have been years beyond pushing our customers to be reasonable, as it behooves no one to go through all of this for the sake of having aforementioned "impressive results" to share online just for the short term.

Rob
    Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 08-17-2018 at 10:26 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I lurk quite a bit but I'm not interested in arguing with anyone so that's why I don't post often. Rob's reliability record speaks for itself, long before this thread, hence my decision to purchase most of the things he offers(I only cross shopped this setup with Doc Race but a garrett turbo option was going to be out of the budget). I will say the car is turning out to be a hilarious daily driver and I can't wait to turn it up.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast