Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bowser330 Click here to enlarge
    M5 blazing the way, making 10's standard performance expectation for super saloon category.

I wonder how much headroom is in those new turbos, what do you all think, enough to hit 9's stock turbo?
    I'd bet money BMW gave it enough headroom to top the RS7 when tuned.

Why AMG didn't I have no clue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    I have a feeling the autobox will hold up to at least reasonable tuned power levels...past that, itís sort of on the aftermarket, itís not like a stock DCT can take 800 hp either. As it is, this engine is likely making 700+ hp and 650 lb ft on an average day, and is AWD to boot. The gearbox certainly must be quite strong from the factory.
    I'm sure it will be able to handle a good amount of power but unlike a DCT, once it reaches its slipping point, it wont be as easy to upgrade which will suck for those people wanting big power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by pr3ci5n335i Click here to enlarge
    I'm sure it will be able to handle a good amount of power but unlike a DCT, once it reaches its slipping point, it wont be as easy to upgrade which will suck for those people wanting big power.
    the ZF 8hp90 is rated at 737 trq (i believe many mopar guys have pushed it higher) so for any build up to 900hp should be fine...after that, paramount trans is your friend... they mod Zf's to over 900 trq, which would be pretty much inline with the highest ever F10's out there... the zf 8hp90 wont have any problem....

isnt the reason bmw ditched the DCT because they said it couldnt handle as much trq as the zf8?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gaspam Click here to enlarge
    the ZF 8hp90 is rated at 737 trq (i believe many mopar guys have pushed it higher) so for any build up to 900hp should be fine...after that, paramount trans is your friend... they mod Zf's to over 900 trq, which would be pretty much inline with the highest ever F10's out there... the zf 8hp90 wont have any problem....

isnt the reason bmw ditched the DCT because they said it couldnt handle as much trq as the zf8?
    Well, F10's are running 1200 trq (close to 1000 at the wheels) on the DCT...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Please link me where it says the M5 comes with an 8hp90....I only see references to 75...

The M5ís manual and twin-clutch transmissions are both axed in favor of a smoother, more optimally geared ZF 8HP75 torque-converter transmission

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-...-m550i-xdrive/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bowser330 Click here to enlarge

Please link me where it says the M5 comes with an 8hp90....I only see references to 75...

The M5’s manual and twin-clutch transmissions are both axed in favor of a smoother, more optimally geared ZF 8HP75 torque-converter transmission

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-...-m550i-xdrive/
    I assumed they were using the 8hp90 but couldnt find anything definitive... but if they are using 8hp75 it replaces the 8hp70 and paramount and southern hotrod have turnkey upgrades for it and warranty it up to 1000hp for 1 yr/12K miles.... people have obviously pushed it beyond that but that voids the vendors warranty.... pretty sure none of the high hp DCT upgrades offer such a warranty , not that i care about warranty if i am pushing a car past 1000hp but point is that is how stout the ZF8 upgraded trans are if vendor is confident in issuing such a warranty in the first place

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    A supercharged Huracan certainly will have its hands full with one of these.

As for driving dynamics...the F10 platform was shared with Rolls Royce Ghosts, not hard to improve on engagement from that point. Given that this car is stiffer, lighter, likely has more steering feel, is still likely right around 50/50 weight distribution and is on its own platform again, it's easy for me to believe that it's more involving than the F10. A friend just test-drove a 540i and said it felt far more engaging than any F10 he had driven.

He owns 3 Ferraris and 2 Porsches, and has owned an E46 M3 and an E90 M3, so he's got a good reference point.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    As for driving dynamics...the F10 platform was shared with Rolls Royce Ghosts
    The Ghosts use the N74 twin turbo V12.

Could you imagine if they stuck this V8 in? Smoking people in a 10-second Rolls Royce while enjoying your Grey Poupon would be epic.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    A supercharged Huracan certainly will have its hands full with one of these.
    You mean a new modded M5 right? Because as it stands an FI Huracan will mop the floor with a stock one.

10.1 vs 10.9 1/4 mile
    141 vs 129 mph trap speed
    2.4 vs 2.8 0-60 mph

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nbrigdan Click here to enlarge
    You mean a new modded M5 right? Because as it stands an FI Huracan will mop the floor with a stock one.

10.1 vs 10.9 1/4 mile
    141 vs 129 mph trap speed
    2.4 vs 2.8 0-60 mph
    That's exactly what he meant. I expect a bolt on car to be right there with that Huracan.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
    That's exactly what he meant. I expect a bolt on car to be right there with that Huracan.
    Yeah I mean if it gets to ~800 HP with bolt ons, you still have the ~1000 lb weight differential to deal with but I can see it being close if by FBO you mean on E85 and stock turbos pushed to the absolute limit making over 900.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    but if they are using 8hp75 it replaces the 8hp70 and paramount and southern hotrod have turnkey upgrades for it and warranty it up to 1000hp for 1 yr/12K miles....
    It is the 8HP75: https://www.bimmerboost.com/content....inal-drive-etc

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Damn, the F90 M5 is a new level. 129 mph is moving.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    738 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Can't wait for ours to show up... Once tuned, mid 10s? Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Can't wait for ours to show up... Once tuned, mid 10s? Click here to enlarge
    Aim for 9's with FBO and ethanol..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Imagine what the M8 will be like if they use an even more powerful version of this engine...simply mind-boggling.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    738 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    First car arrived at our dealership and I was able to poke around. Looks awesome. I didn't like the color/features and ordered ours (a few months ago) so hopefully it's not that far behind. They think late April.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    First car arrived at our dealership and I was able to poke around. Looks awesome. I didn't like the color/features and ordered ours (a few months ago) so hopefully it's not that far behind. They think late April.
    What color?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    738 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Their launch car was white and loaded with every option. I ordered some shade of blue, no options but the speed limiter raised.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I ordered some shade of blue, no options but the speed limiter raised.
    Black interior?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Blue M5 is the best M5.
    And for me, it'd be white interior or nothing. Click here to enlarge Sooo impractical, but if I were buying one I don't think I could resist.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12