Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 46 of 46
  1. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,565
    Rep Points
    1,798.4
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bowser330 Click here to enlarge
    M5 blazing the way, making 10's standard performance expectation for super saloon category.

    I wonder how much headroom is in those new turbos, what do you all think, enough to hit 9's stock turbo?
    I'd bet money BMW gave it enough headroom to top the RS7 when tuned.

    Why AMG didn't I have no clue.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    578
    Rep Points
    961.0
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    I have a feeling the autobox will hold up to at least reasonable tuned power levels...past that, itís sort of on the aftermarket, itís not like a stock DCT can take 800 hp either. As it is, this engine is likely making 700+ hp and 650 lb ft on an average day, and is AWD to boot. The gearbox certainly must be quite strong from the factory.
    I'm sure it will be able to handle a good amount of power but unlike a DCT, once it reaches its slipping point, it wont be as easy to upgrade which will suck for those people wanting big power.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    miami
    Posts
    425
    Rep Points
    876.2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by pr3ci5n335i Click here to enlarge
    I'm sure it will be able to handle a good amount of power but unlike a DCT, once it reaches its slipping point, it wont be as easy to upgrade which will suck for those people wanting big power.
    the ZF 8hp90 is rated at 737 trq (i believe many mopar guys have pushed it higher) so for any build up to 900hp should be fine...after that, paramount trans is your friend... they mod Zf's to over 900 trq, which would be pretty much inline with the highest ever F10's out there... the zf 8hp90 wont have any problem....

    isnt the reason bmw ditched the DCT because they said it couldnt handle as much trq as the zf8?

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    102
    Rep Points
    232.0
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gaspam Click here to enlarge
    the ZF 8hp90 is rated at 737 trq (i believe many mopar guys have pushed it higher) so for any build up to 900hp should be fine...after that, paramount trans is your friend... they mod Zf's to over 900 trq, which would be pretty much inline with the highest ever F10's out there... the zf 8hp90 wont have any problem....

    isnt the reason bmw ditched the DCT because they said it couldnt handle as much trq as the zf8?
    Well, F10's are running 1200 trq (close to 1000 at the wheels) on the DCT...

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,323
    Rep Points
    801.6
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gaspam Click here to enlarge
    the ZF 8hp90 is rated at 737 trq (i believe many mopar guys have pushed it higher) so for any build up to 900hp should be fine...after that, paramount trans is your friend... they mod Zf's to over 900 trq, which would be pretty much inline with the highest ever F10's out there... the zf 8hp90 wont have any problem....

    isnt the reason bmw ditched the DCT because they said it couldnt handle as much trq as the zf8?
    Please link me where it says the M5 comes with an 8hp90....I only see references to 75...

    The M5ís manual and twin-clutch transmissions are both axed in favor of a smoother, more optimally geared ZF 8HP75 torque-converter transmission

    http://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-...-m550i-xdrive/

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    miami
    Posts
    425
    Rep Points
    876.2
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bowser330 Click here to enlarge


    Please link me where it says the M5 comes with an 8hp90....I only see references to 75...

    The M5’s manual and twin-clutch transmissions are both axed in favor of a smoother, more optimally geared ZF 8HP75 torque-converter transmission

    http://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-...-m550i-xdrive/
    I assumed they were using the 8hp90 but couldnt find anything definitive... but if they are using 8hp75 it replaces the 8hp70 and paramount and southern hotrod have turnkey upgrades for it and warranty it up to 1000hp for 1 yr/12K miles.... people have obviously pushed it beyond that but that voids the vendors warranty.... pretty sure none of the high hp DCT upgrades offer such a warranty , not that i care about warranty if i am pushing a car past 1000hp but point is that is how stout the ZF8 upgraded trans are if vendor is confident in issuing such a warranty in the first place

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,187
    Rep Points
    573.9
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    A supercharged Huracan certainly will have its hands full with one of these.

    As for driving dynamics...the F10 platform was shared with Rolls Royce Ghosts, not hard to improve on engagement from that point. Given that this car is stiffer, lighter, likely has more steering feel, is still likely right around 50/50 weight distribution and is on its own platform again, it's easy for me to believe that it's more involving than the F10. A friend just test-drove a 540i and said it felt far more engaging than any F10 he had driven.

    He owns 3 Ferraris and 2 Porsches, and has owned an E46 M3 and an E90 M3, so he's got a good reference point.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    140,523
    Rep Points
    42,517.4
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    426



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    As for driving dynamics...the F10 platform was shared with Rolls Royce Ghosts
    The Ghosts use the N74 twin turbo V12.

    Could you imagine if they stuck this V8 in? Smoking people in a 10-second Rolls Royce while enjoying your Grey Poupon would be epic.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,264
    Rep Points
    1,121.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    A supercharged Huracan certainly will have its hands full with one of these.
    You mean a new modded M5 right? Because as it stands an FI Huracan will mop the floor with a stock one.



    10.1 vs 10.9 1/4 mile
    141 vs 129 mph trap speed
    2.4 vs 2.8 0-60 mph

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,565
    Rep Points
    1,798.4
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nbrigdan Click here to enlarge
    You mean a new modded M5 right? Because as it stands an FI Huracan will mop the floor with a stock one.

    10.1 vs 10.9 1/4 mile
    141 vs 129 mph trap speed
    2.4 vs 2.8 0-60 mph
    That's exactly what he meant. I expect a bolt on car to be right there with that Huracan.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,264
    Rep Points
    1,121.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    12


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
    That's exactly what he meant. I expect a bolt on car to be right there with that Huracan.
    Yeah I mean if it gets to ~800 HP with bolt ons, you still have the ~1000 lb weight differential to deal with but I can see it being close if by FBO you mean on E85 and stock turbos pushed to the absolute limit making over 900.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    140,523
    Rep Points
    42,517.4
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    426



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gaspam Click here to enlarge
    but if they are using 8hp75 it replaces the 8hp70 and paramount and southern hotrod have turnkey upgrades for it and warranty it up to 1000hp for 1 yr/12K miles....
    It is the 8HP75: https://www.bimmerboost.com/content....inal-drive-etc

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    326
    Rep Points
    417.4
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Yes Reputation No
    Damn, the F90 M5 is a new level. 129 mph is moving.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    9,133
    Rep Points
    11,957.1
    Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    120


    Yes Reputation No
    Can't wait for ours to show up... Once tuned, mid 10s? Click here to enlarge

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    140,523
    Rep Points
    42,517.4
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    426



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Can't wait for ours to show up... Once tuned, mid 10s? Click here to enlarge
    Aim for 9's with FBO and ethanol..

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,187
    Rep Points
    573.9
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    Yes Reputation No
    Imagine what the M8 will be like if they use an even more powerful version of this engine...simply mind-boggling.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    9,133
    Rep Points
    11,957.1
    Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    120


    Yes Reputation No
    First car arrived at our dealership and I was able to poke around. Looks awesome. I didn't like the color/features and ordered ours (a few months ago) so hopefully it's not that far behind. They think late April.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,565
    Rep Points
    1,798.4
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    First car arrived at our dealership and I was able to poke around. Looks awesome. I didn't like the color/features and ordered ours (a few months ago) so hopefully it's not that far behind. They think late April.
    What color?

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    9,133
    Rep Points
    11,957.1
    Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    120


    Yes Reputation No
    Their launch car was white and loaded with every option. I ordered some shade of blue, no options but the speed limiter raised.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    140,523
    Rep Points
    42,517.4
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    426



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I ordered some shade of blue, no options but the speed limiter raised.
    Black interior?

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    326
    Rep Points
    417.4
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Yes Reputation No
    Blue M5 is the best M5.
    And for me, it'd be white interior or nothing. Click here to enlarge Sooo impractical, but if I were buying one I don't think I could resist.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •