Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2390 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

MMP1k N54 twin turbo kit said to support up to 1000 horsepower

I'll do an article on these later but... 1k? Can anyone verify that?

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MMP
    These are the most power twin turbos for the N54 on the market! They are good for 450-1000hp max with e85 for max power. They have an incredibly versatile power range. They are made from all new parts mostly proprietary parts including a custom cast and machined turbine housing, manifold, and bearing housing. Because of this, these turbos have been designed and built from the ground up to minimize backpressure and maximize power.

The manifold has the largest collector on the market and the AR in the turbine housing has been optimized for max power for the 46mm turbine wheel and 46mm compressor wheel while maintaining excellent spool which is basically imperceptible when rowing through the gears compared to stock turbos. The compressor wheel is a GTX style 11 blade extended tip 46mm inducer forged milled billet wheel optimized for high horsepower and we are the only turbo manufacturer bringing it to you for the N54 on the market.

The turbine wheel is a high flow 9 blade with 46mm exducer made from high strength and high temp resistance inconel alloy material. The turbine housing and manifold are made from high strength stainless alloy with very high temp heat resistance and casted using a high precision investment casting method which also yields a gorgeous surface finish. The wastegate parts in the turbine housing are all new and machined from high strength stainless alloy.
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2390 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    More details: https://mmp-e.com/collections/produc...-235i-1m-335is

The kit requires upgraded inlet pipe system (filter to turbos) and also outlet pipe system (turbos to intercooler connection) optimized for the high flowing native 19T compressor housing which is over twice the size/flow of stock compressor housing and has 2" inlet connection and 2" outlet connection, much larger than the stock turbos and even other large size hybrid turbos from the competition. This will make sure the turbos are flowing to their maximum potential along with the upgraded plumbing for the turbo.

The turbos are made from a full native TD04 bearing housing with upgraded TD04 thrust bearings which include double the surface area compared to the stock TD03 thrust bearings (that's 100% more). Other popular hybrid turbo manufacturers use a stock TD03 bearing housing with TD03 journal and thrust bearing components and smaller TD03 shaft size and just cram much larger turbine and compressor wheels in stock compressor housings and stock bearing housings never meant for the small TD03 shaft size and small TD03 journal and thrust bearing components. This can lead to shafts breaking and premature wear of the thrust bearing causing smoking issues on the turbos. All these issues that give hybrid turbos a bad name on the N54 due to improper design has been solved in the brand new TD04 bearing housings from MMP. The MMP design uses a thrust plate with 2 oiling ports vs one in the standard thrust plate and also the thrust washer and collar have 2x the surface area of the TD03 components, this is why they are MUCH more reliable then those other offerings. These great upgraded and reliable thrust components for 30psi+ are included standard with no extra charge in all MMP turbos.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I like what I read.
    The manifolds are single-wall?
    These look like they should be stiff competition for the GC/lite series from VTT.
    is there any difference in comp housing clocking between vehicle models?
    2009 535i Sport
    Software: JB4 G5 | MHD | Trebila Tune | XHP Stage 3
    Hardware: GC Lites | Inlets | Outlet | 3" D-P's | 7" FMIC | S2 LPFP | TBI | DCI | ER CP | Forge DV's | 3.5 TMAP | RB PCV | Koni FSD

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Single wall cast iron, not exactly good at keeping heat.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LessIsMore Click here to enlarge
    I like what I read.
    The manifolds are single-wall?
    These look like they should be stiff competition for the GC/lite series from VTT.
    is there any difference in comp housing clocking between vehicle models?
    From my experience buying MMP S3s for my 135i, he clocked them for 335i and sent 335i outlets. I had to slightly reclock them for the oil drains to reach.
    2008 BMW 135i 6MT - Doc Race Single Turbo 6266
    752whp/691wtq @ 30psi, weighs 3260lbs

Complete build: my1series.com
    YouTube channel: youtube.com/jakespence135
    Instagram updates: instagram.com/jakespence
    N54 t-shirts, etc: bimmerstreet.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Traf Click here to enlarge
    Single wall cast iron, not exactly good at keeping heat.
    Wouldn't that also depend on how thick the wall is ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That would be pretty impressive to gain ~300hp in potential (with the new cast housings) while retaining "quick" spool characteristics. 10's were elusive prior but this sounds like they'll soon be achievable in Reverse.Click here to enlarge Wonder if anyone has them installed yet?

Rob

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Gaining 300HP in potential? How are you getting that? More like an extra 150 whp. MMPs have already put down over 700 whp with the stock manifolds. Mauricio has said these are capable of 850WHP and using a standard 15% drivetrain loss, that's 1000 HP crank, that's where the number comes from.

he has said these have a different A/R (not disclosed) and they should flow the full potential of the wheel (I forget the lb min rating so I don't want to misquote).

It's also stainless steel, not cast iron.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    It is not stainless steel, dont let the ceramic coating color fool you.
    VTT GC turbine housing are stainless. Clear difference in material.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BQ@BQTuning.com Click here to enlarge
    Wouldn't that also depend on how thick the wall is ?
    Sure it matters, but still way inferior to the stock double wall manifold.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

I don't think double wall manifold is feasible at higher whp levels. You won't see any upgraded double wall manifolds ever.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

So even though he lists it as stainless steel, you say it's not? Why would he lie? That would be easy to counter once the manifolds are in customers hands.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by langsbr Click here to enlarge
    So even though he lists it as stainless steel, you say it's not? Why would he lie? That would be easy to counter once the manifolds are in customers hands.
    I'll be damned ! He says investment casting indeed, my bad.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2390 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

MMP offers what they claim are the most powerful N54 twins on the market - MMP1K TURBO KIT offering up to 1000 horsepower

Twins breaking the 1000 crank horsepower range on the N54 platform would be huge news. That level of power from twins was promised from a handful of vendors for years but nothing came to fruition at least not until now.

Click here to enlarge

Will this upgrade from MMP be the first to do it? Perhaps. There is not yet any proof of that level of output from this upgrade but it certainly looks like if any twin turbo N54 upgrade will do it the MMP1K is the best bet:

These are the most power twin turbos for the N54 on the market! They are good for 450-1000hp max with e85 for max power. They have an incredibly versatile power range. They are made from all new parts mostly proprietary parts including a custom cast and machined turbine housing, manifold, and bearing housing. Because of this, these turbos have been designed and built from the ground up to minimize backpressure and maximize power.

The manifold has the largest collector on the market and the AR in the turbine housing has been optimized for max power for the 46mm turbine wheel and 46mm compressor wheel while maintaining excellent spool which is basically imperceptible when rowing through the gears compared to stock turbos.

The compressor wheel is a GTX style 11 blade extended tip 46mm inducer forged milled billet wheel optimized for high horsepower and we are the only turbo manufacturer bringing it to you for the N54 on the market.

The turbine wheel is a high flow 9 blade with 46mm exducer made from high strength and high temp resistance inconel alloy material. The turbine housing and manifold are made from high strength stainless alloy with very high temp heat resistance and casted using a high precision investment casting method which also yields a gorgeous surface finish. The wastegate parts in the turbine housing are all new and machined from high strength stainless alloy.

MMP has the best twin turbo system at the best bang for your buck for this horespower level. There is no more core fee so your stock turbos are not needed to be returned anymore and I wont be buying anymore at MMP as we will switch to manufacturing turbos with our new proprietary castings exclusively.

The kit requires upgraded inlet pipe system (filter to turbos) and also outlet pipe system (turbos to intercooler connection) optimized for the high flowing native 19T compressor housing which is over twice the size/flow of stock compressor housing and has 2" inlet connection and 2" outlet connection, much larger than the stock turbos and even other large size hybrid turbos from the competition. This will make sure the turbos are flowing to their maximum potential along with the upgraded plumbing for the turbo.

The turbos are made from a full native TD04 bearing housing with upgraded TD04 thrust bearings which include double the surface area compared to the stock TD03 thrust bearings (that's 100% more). Other popular hybrid turbo manufacturers use a stock TD03 bearing housing with TD03 journal and thrust bearing components and smaller TD03 shaft size and just cram much larger turbine and compressor wheels in stock compressor housings and stock bearing housings never meant for the small TD03 shaft size and small TD03 journal and thrust bearing components. This can lead to shafts breaking and premature wear of the thrust bearing causing smoking issues on the turbos. All these issues that give hybrid turbos a bad name on the N54 due to improper design has been solved in the brand new TD04 bearing housings from MMP. The MMP design uses a thrust plate with 2 oiling ports vs one in the standard thrust plate and also the thrust washer and collar have 2x the surface area of the TD03 components, this is why they are MUCH more reliable then those other offerings. These great upgraded and reliable thrust components for 30psi+ are included standard with no extra charge in all MMP turbos.
    So who is going to push these to the limit and find out?

$3499.99: https://mmp-e.com/collections/produc...-235i-1m-335is

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    42lb per min compressor. N54s typically can get 10whp per lb of flow on e85. On a built head and cams you should be able to hit 850whp max

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Abacus38 Click here to enlarge
    42lb per min compressor. N54s typically can get 10whp per lb of flow on e85. On a built head and cams you should be able to hit 850whp max

So 1000hp with 15% drivetrain loss is = 850 .

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yes
    Click here to enlarge

Left hand on the steering wheel right hand on that RTD Shifter
    -2Chainz

07 6spd TI ag E92

Mods
    Boostbox, e85, RTD shifter, and a 6766
    #BuiltByHaborFreight

Instagram Oss_Cah5

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Since we're talking difference of material here - VTT has updated the GC manifold and turbine housing from stainless to D5S ni-resist cast iron. I don't have direct experience between a comparison between the 2 materials, but from what I've researched, stainless improves spool slightly due to increased EGTs. Not sure how true that is, but right now the new MMPs are stainless, current GCs are stainless, new GCs are cast iron.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Since we're talking difference of material here - VTT has updated the GC manifold and turbine housing from stainless to D5S ni-resist cast iron. I don't have direct experience between a comparison between the 2 materials, but from what I've researched, stainless improves spool slightly due to increased EGTs. Not sure how true that is, but right now the new MMPs are stainless, current GCs are stainless, new GCs are cast iron.
    Cost cutting probably. I do agree, VTT should have stayed with stainless.
    As for MMP, good choice of material after all. The prototypes were cast iron, maybe he decided to switch afterwards.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2390 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    new GCs are cast iron.
    So even more cost cutting and even cheaper material?

Plus it's heavier?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2390 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    For those wondering what they look like mounted:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They look nice. Has anyone dynoed a set of these yet?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    So even more cost cutting and even cheaper material?

Plus it's heavier?
    Just a FYI, Garrett uses D5S. It's more expensive to cast than stainless and there is more to it than just material density. When all is said and done the New GC's weigh a few pounds less than the previous generation. More info coming soon.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris@VargasTurboTech; 04-30-2018 at 02:49 PM.
    Chris - VTT Forum Representative
    Chris@Vargasturbo.com
    www.Vargasturbo.com
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Chris@VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Just a FYI, Garrett uses D5S exclusively. It's more expensive to cast than stainless and there is more to it than just material density. When all is said and done the New GC's weigh a few pounds less than the previous generation. More info coming soon.

Chris
    That's only true with their smaller offerings, isn't it? They list stainless turbine housings for the GT55 series.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Could be -I'll edit that, thanks.
    Chris - VTT Forum Representative
    Chris@Vargasturbo.com
    www.Vargasturbo.com
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2390 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Chris@VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Just a FYI, Garrett uses D5S. It's more expensive to cast than stainless and there is more to it than just material density. When all is said and done the New GC's weigh a few pounds less than the previous generation. More info coming soon.

Chris
    Well good to know it is a bit lighter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast