Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Just another top mount build? ACF top mount w/ EFR 7670

Hey guys, first time posting a "build thread" despite being on this platform for almost a decade. Most of my previous mods are on the suspension/chassis up until now.

The car: 2009 E92 335i, auto, had it since new Click here to enlarge . Spent a lot of effort setting it up for street/road course since the warranty expired a few years back. Won't bother y'all with a long list of chassis mods here, but see the link in my signature if you are interested.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

The goal: Nothing crazy or record setting here. I just want a reliable +500whp setup on pump 93 that also looks nice when you open the hood. Went with the EFR 7670 instead of the typical precision stuff for its water cooled CHRA and gamma-Ti turbine. Should be a super responsive and lag free setup once I get it dialed in.

The setup:
    ACF/VM top mount, T4 divided, twin EWGs, recirculated dump pipes, ceramic coated hot parts
    Borg Warner EFR 7670 (~57mm compressor), EWG turbine housing A/R ratio 1.05
    Bimmerlife R8 coils w/ N20 spark plugs (gapped them at 0.028" for now, might have to gap them down a bit more, will have to see)
    ADV O2 sensor
    Phoenix Racing/BMS 7.5" FMIC (I spray painted the core, wasn't a big fan of the overspray lol)
    Motiv Boostbox, tuning is being done by @CKI@Motiv (keeping the JB4 as backup)
    BMS OCC then VTA for the boost side, just the RB valve for the vacuum side for now. Will try something else when someone releases those metal valve cover.

Finally got the turbo kit from Anthony this Monday. I wasn't able to see them in person. @Sirdaft1 was able to snap some nice shots for me last night. The stuff looks very high quality.

The car is spending the next 3 weeks at the shop. So look out for more updates in the coming days!

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    09 BMW E92 335i:Top Mount EFR 7670 / Motiv / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline [Full Modlist]
    07 BMW R1200S: Shine Yellow / Akrapovic / Ohlins
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Sticky look at this.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2401 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Payam@BMS Click here to enlarge
    @Sticky look at this.
    I just did.

The pieces look like art.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Didn't manage to update this thread for a while since I was banned for a few weeks because someone got sensitive. Anyway, here are some updates and hopefully someone would find my experience to be helpful for their builds in the future.

This is what happened last week.

VAC oil pan baffle got welded in last week while we have the subframe down and getting the oil pan gasket changed.

Click here to enlarge

Strut tower wasn't quite clearing the turbine manifold, so we modded the strut tower a bit.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Heat shield for the valve cover turned out pretty nicely too. We gonna cover it with some additional insulation to better protect the wiring underneath.
    Click here to enlarge
    09 BMW E92 335i:Top Mount EFR 7670 / Motiv / AP Racing / Wavetrac / TC Kline [Full Modlist]
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Unfortunately, we ran into some additional issue this week while we were starting to do the final assembly.

The shop who is working on my car just found out on Thurs that the v-band connecting the bank 1 and bank 2 manifold is short by almost 1/4". Not sure how that happened since everything fit on the mockup engine at ACF prior to ceramic coating (as you can see from my previous post). Have to cut off the vband flange and reweld it. Both my mechanic and ACF thinks the ceramic coating somehow shrunk or wrapped the manifold. But I am having hard time picturing these thick 321 stainless steel piping can be wrapped so easily...

Downpipe is also off by almost 1/2" at the mid-pipe side (sitting way too low). We have to make a new one by scratch to fix that since the downpipe that ACF made me is also rubbing on the wiring harness at the top as well. There is just no way to make the current one work, especially with the recirculated dump pipes.

Good news. Hood clearance is good. The subframe was bolted back in today and we were able to close the hood without hitting the turbo.

Pretty disappointed at the moment, since I was promised a plug-n-play kit with minimal additional fabrication involved. The weld and the craftsmanship for each parts is top notch, but they are no good if then don't fit together.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Time for an update!

Here is what I received from ACF.

Wrapped manifold, vband joints don't meet up
    Click here to enlarge

Anthony told me just shift the downpipe upward and everything will bolt up. But there just no space to do that. The dp is already rubbing on the wirings at the top. The only way is to make it fit is to remake the whole thing.
    Click here to enlarge

The only way to connect the downpipe is to drop the midpipes by 2-3". Obviously this aren't gonna work. The exhaust are rubbing on the rear brace too due to the drop.
    Click here to enlarge

Wastegate dump pipes are off as well.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Have to redo the downpipe and wastegate pipes. But it fits much better now. Too bad the ceramic coating on these are just a completely waste of time and money since we had to scrap most them.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2401 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the detailed update.

Don't know what to say about the pieces not lining up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the detailed update.

Don't know what to say about the pieces not lining up.
    don't have say anything really. these pictures are pretty explanatory.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    It has been a long and painful journey. But we are almost there. Hope to get it running this weekend and get it ready for the dyno tuning next week!

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Who is tuning it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Really liking that MAC solenoid bracket and how you've got that intake routed to catch some fresh air since you're focusing on track use. What are you using for o2 sensors?

After all the custom modifications your shop had to go through, makes me think your shop could have fabricated a single kit themselves as they seem to do pretty clean work. Regardless glad to see it up and running. Ready to see some videos!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chadillac2000 Click here to enlarge
    Really liking that MAC solenoid bracket and how you've got that intake routed to catch some fresh air since you're focusing on track use. What are you using for o2 sensors?

After all the custom modifications your shop had to go through, makes me think your shop could have fabricated a single kit themselves as they seem to do pretty clean work. Regardless glad to see it up and running. Ready to see some videos!
    sorry for the late reply, was too busy getting the car running. but for the front O2, I am using the adv sensors.

in hindsight, there are a lot of things we could have done differently. but i think i complained enough about that at this point lol. now i am just glad the car is finally back in my hands and running well.

Btw, for the MAC solenoid, DONT install it backward like what my shop did in the picture I posted above. Had a three way argument with my shop and Payam about this, but turns out Payam is right. Running it backward leads to overboost which was fixed by flipping it back.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am in the process of doing some initial street tune at the moment. If it all goes well, the plan it to dial in the rest on a dyno in the near future.

Here are some logs from last night. Keep in mind are keeping the tune pretty conservative right now.

https://datazap.me/u/cloud9blue/log-1522210603

One thing my tuner and I did notice is the fuel trim variance. Our guess the v-band joint on the band 2 part of the manifold is leaking a bit under boost. We thought we fixed that by re-welding it, arghhh. Will have to keep an eye on this and see how this holds up when we are upping the boost even more. At least the engine will be running rich in the worst case scenario, so risk of engine damage is pretty low with this.

One small problem with the car though. I did lose my steering wheel buttons and paddle shifter and initially my manual mode for the auto trans as well (xhp emergency flash fixed that). I think this is a software issue. Hope to get it sorted out soon.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    A short clip of how the car is running at the moment at ~15psi. The spool of this turbo is pretty nuts. Full boost by 2900 rpm. Filmed in Mexico of course, lol.

Apologize for the language, I have been driving camrys and foresters for the last 3 months, so still getting used to the new found power.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hi, could you post logs from 1800rpm on 3rd gear. Thank you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gixercho Click here to enlarge
    Hi, could you post logs from 1800rpm on 3rd gear. Thank you.
    if you pay for my dyno, sure...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sorry, i mean log from the street, i want to see the realstreet spool. Thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gixercho Click here to enlarge
    Sorry, i mean log from the street, i want to see the realstreet spool. Thanks
    it spools <3k rpm...with this turbo and this manifold... what else would you like to know??? No one races at 2k rpm...

I don't like lugging my engine at that low of rpm for no reasons, especially with pump gas.

Here is the log from that 4th gear pull. Boost control still needs to be dialed in, but you get the idea.

https://datazap.me/u/cloud9blue/4th-pull-2k-rpm
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sorry for bothering you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Super nice man, great you could get the turbo back far enough to squeeze the intake between the cover and rad support. Are you taking it further on 93 or moving to E85 from this point on?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by einserM Click here to enlarge
    Super nice man, great you could get the turbo back far enough to squeeze the intake between the cover and rad support. Are you taking it further on 93 or moving to E85 from this point on?
    15 psi on pump gas is definitely not the limit from what I can see. We hope to bring it up to 20-21 psi. I am staying with pump 93 for now but keeping an eye on the flexfuel development and the DI solutions for e85.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2401 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cloud9blue Click here to enlarge
    15 psi on pump gas is definitely not the limit from what I can see. We hope to bring it up to 20-21 psi. I am staying with pump 93 for now but keeping an eye on the flexfuel development and the DI solutions for e85.
    Shouldn't you be able to do much more boost on pump gas as is?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hey man any updates in the build?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2401 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Recently moved and started a new job, so haven't had the chance to dial in the tune as much as I hoped.
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast