Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

M5 S85 builds- beyond bolt ons- Strokers nitrous and maybe even turbos

This is a spin off of the twin turbo S85 thread. I have been working on an M5 for a couple of years. I'm not a shop just a car enthusiast with good tools. Anyways I bought a built 6.0L for my 2008 M5 in 2015. It ran great. It went 175.4 mph straight motor at the Texas Mile that year. In late 2015 I built and installed a 10 port progressive wet (E85 on top of pump gas) nitrous kit and that also worked well. I ran 30 bottles through it with no problems. Keeping up with the Jones (my car buddies) I decided to send the car back to the engine builder for an improved and low compression version of the 6.0- I wanted a turbo S85. A lot of people have wanted to build one but its not for the faint of heart. I think its why I want one. Anyways I'll cut and paste some of the old posts about it here on this thread. I wanted to post about the car as I built it this time because I learned a lot about the S85 from the forums and though I might give a little info back.

Dyno sheet of NA before and after the tuning for the stroker. The other dyno sheet is off the bottle but with the nitrous tune and finally on the bottle (175hp /150 whp).
    Click here to enlarge

Fast forward to today- I just got the car back this week with the new 10.5 to 1 motor. Its a lighter internals, stronger, better built version with some additional porting. I'll get a baseline dyno pull in the next couple weeks, I'll also try to spray it just for dyno curiosity if I have all the nitrous tested again after the new build was installed. I'll take the bottle off at some point during the build and i'll miss it so I better use while I can!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2375 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ident Click here to enlarge
    I decided to send the car back to the engine builder for an improved and low compression version of the 6.0- I wanted a turbo S85
    Was this just for low compression pistons or sleeves as well?

How good of an engine builder do you feel Troy Jeup is? Just in your opinion. He seems to be the main S85 stroker guy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2375 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Also... why maybe turbos in the title Click here to enlarge If you went lower compression you know you want boost!

There is always the option of a blower by the way.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Was this just for low compression pistons or sleeves as well?

How good of an engine builder do you feel Troy Jeup is? Just in your opinion. He seems to be the main S85 stroker guy.
    I had LA sleeves in it, now it has Darton. They are installed differently and the bore is .5mm smaller. This motor is 5.97L the old one was 6.03L but I get almost .040" more width between cylinders. Troy built both motors and they have both done fine. He has built a bunch of S85s so I assume he knows the motor well. = I had really difficult communication issues with him during the build, it was very frustrating but in the end the car is here and it runs so...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Also... why maybe turbos in the title Click here to enlarge If you went lower compression you know you want boost!

There is always the option of a blower by the way.
    Lower compression is for boost or more nitrous... I've had a lot of fun with the high rpm NA car on the juice and I could double the shot- the kit will handle 300 but that is a lot of giggle gas. Not to mention i'm in a weird spot- we all work on a magic street here. The friends have upped the HP ante and i'm low man on the totem pole. It not that I want to be the big dog.. lol I can't. If doubled the hp of my car with a magic wand it would still be 1500 hp short. And I mean 1500. But you can't be last. Boost is my salvation. I'm more interested in a reliable 1000 hp car that still retains most of what I like about the M5. The blower would be a back up if the turbo project was going tits up or just too much to deal with.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2375 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I had LA sleeves in it, now it has Darton. They are installed differently and the bore is .5mm smaller. This motor is 5.97L the old one was 6.03L but I get almost .040" more width between cylinders. Troy built both motors and they have both done fine. He has built a bunch of S85s so I assume he knows the motor well. = I had really difficult communication issues with him during the build, it was very frustrating but in the end the car is here and it runs so...
    I've heard that about the communication and he doesn't seem to do his online presence too well either.

I mean if you're building a ton of S85's why aren't you showing the builds off and what they can do? Almost counter-intuitive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I've heard that about the communication and he doesn't seem to do his online presence too well either.

I mean if you're building a ton of S85's why aren't you showing the builds off and what they can do? Almost counter-intuitive.
    I guess you're in a similar boat.

Troy's technically knowledgeable but he absolutely needs someone managing the business side, customer support and the installs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just tagging along to see how it goes

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jcolley Click here to enlarge
    Just tagging along to see how it goes
    Same here Click here to enlarge

Very interesting build!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I guess you're in a similar boat.

Troy's technically knowledgeable but he absolutely needs someone managing the business side, customer support and the installs.
    Let me expound. Troy is capable of engine assembly. His business practices make him impossible to do business with and have any control over the build or any confidence that you will get what you asked/paid for. Not to mention any reasonable timeline. I got my motor back and there are no problems but it wasnt worth the trouble I went through dealing with him.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2375 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    His business practices make him impossible to do business with and have any control over the build or any confidence that you will get what you asked/paid for.
    Explain?

I got my motor back and there are no problems but it wasnt worth the trouble I went through dealing with him.
    Did you get what you paid for?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Explain?

Its pretty straight forward, 0 communication for weeks/months then answers that are cryptic at best, leaving you wondering what you paid for when you finally get your car back two years later.

Did you get what you paid for?
    Yes and no, things I was promised we not done, I had to do a lot of rework on the motor itself, the car was trashed when I got it back. Parts were sold off my car. I would never recommend someone sending their car there.

Motor runs fine and I reworked the nitrous, makes good power while I wait for an aftermarket ECU. Its probably strong enough to grab the E60 1/4 record. Its sitting on MT ET Streets S/S and they hook so we'll see in the next couple weeks. Click here to enlarge