Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

5 out of 5 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Ninjacoupe E82 135i N54 build with Ferrea valves, Schrick high lift cams, and Fab Factory intake manifold

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Payam@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I want to see your car dude! I'm staying in hicksville for the next couple days.
    Oh $#@! dude. Not that far. 40 minutes without traffic. Cars in peices. Pulled the motor for a knock and well

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ninjacoupe Click here to enlarge
    Oh $#@! dude. Not that far. 40 minutes without traffic. Cars in peices. Pulled the motor for a knock and well
    holy S@# your car is apart again? this is the second time right? i cant wait to see how those cams do.
    Last edited by foe516; 11-21-2017 at 11:26 PM. Reason: non

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by foe516 Click here to enlarge
    holy S@# your car is apart again? this is the second time right? i cant wait to see how those cams do.
    You're not the only one.

What cams are those @ninjacoupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cams are the Shrick high lift versions. Stock valve size on the heads. Just opened up the bowls. Badly needed. I can probably get them flowed after the holiday just for fun.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Yup cracked the ring lands on the stock pistons when I messed up the e content in a rush heading to a car show the first time. This time turned out to be a rod knock. #1 which was showing some weird timing pulls. You know what they say 3rd time and she gets traded in for a Z06 lol. They do say that right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Cams are the Shrick high lift versions. Stock valve size on the heads. Just opened up the bowls. Badly needed. I can probably get them flowed after the holiday just for fun.
    Who is tuning?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
    Who is tuning?
    That will be me. It took a little while to get a handle on it all. The vanos is gonna take the most time with small changes. There is definitely a lot to be gained between the cams and long runner Fab Facotry Intake. I’m actually pretty excited about it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2384 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That will be me. It took a little while to get a handle on it all. The vanos is gonna take the most time with small changes. There is definitely a lot to be gained between the cams and long runner Fab Facotry Intake. I’m actually pretty excited about it.
    Impressive.

This is going to be a fun one to watch.

Mostly I want to see before/after cams.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yup cracked the ring lands on the stock pistons when I messed up the e content in a rush heading to a car show the first time. This time turned out to be a rod knock. #1 which was showing some weird timing pulls. You know what they say 3rd time and she gets traded in for a Z06 lol. They do say that right?
    sorry to hear that. your lucky you do all the work yourself. for me 3rd time would be Camaro ZL1 1LE........

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    sorry to hear that. your lucky you do all the work yourself. for me 3rd time would be Camaro ZL1 1LE........
    The last time I had Motiv do the motor. This time I’m doing it all myself. I’m doing what I know works. There’s a lot of bull$#@! out there on this platform and I’m a bit upset at myself for having doubts when I first got the car. It’s all a hobby but there’s nothing special about these motors.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The last time I had Motiv do the motor. This time I’m doing it all myself. I’m doing what I know works. There’s a lot of bull$#@! out there on this platform and I’m a bit upset at myself for having doubts when I first got the car. It’s all a hobby but there’s nothing special about these motors.
    Care to point to any particular engine building bull$#@! you might have been fed?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
    Care to point to any particular engine building bull$#@! you might have been fed?
    Special thousand dollar bed plate alignment tooling lmao Doesnt exist it was all BS. Super critical tight clearances regular machine shops can’t achieve again all BS. . The factory specs/tolerances for bearing and piston clearances are actually right within any high performance shops range. The factory ranges are actually pretty sloppy for what they consider acceptable. Don’t get me wrong if you have never file fit rings or mic’d a crank you should probably let someone else do it but anyone who’s done motors in past won’t have any problem with this if they want to spend the money on the crank holding tool and cam timing. Once I found the online manuals I just had to shake my head.

Just as an edit. This didn’t come from Motiv. Motiv did a really nice build. All new parts as paid for and their prices were really reasonable. The balance job was exceptional as well. This stuff came from some vendors a couple of years ago before the manuals were available online.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2384 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    his stuff came from some vendors a couple of years ago before the manuals were available online.
    Ok I was going to ask who. Interesting.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    thats why i take what i read here with a grain of salt. i know some of the same people as you and i have friends with 900 hp turbo'd coyotes and a guy i work withs brother is a pit member for a top fuel team. if you know engines and know your stuff the n54 isn't rocket science. i dont claim to know much, so i always consult with someone who i feel does. good luck and i hope we can cross paths next summer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    thats why i take what i read here with a grain of salt. i know some of the same people as you and i have friends with 900 hp turbo'd coyotes and a guy i work withs brother is a pit member for a top fuel team. if you know engines and know your stuff the n54 isn't rocket science. i dont claim to know much, so i always consult with someone who i feel does. good luck and i hope we can cross paths next summer.
    This is what got me, I suddenly decided to take engine advice from a dealership on the internet.. what the fluck was I thinking lol. Hoping to start the tuning around April. See you out there next year..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Special thousand dollar bed plate alignment tooling lmao Doesnt exist it was all BS. Super critical tight clearances regular machine shops can’t achieve again all BS. . The factory specs/tolerances for bearing and piston clearances are actually right within any high performance shops range. The factory ranges are actually pretty sloppy for what they consider acceptable. Don’t get me wrong if you have never file fit rings or mic’d a crank you should probably let someone else do it but anyone who’s done motors in past won’t have any problem with this if they want to spend the money on the crank holding tool and cam timing. Once I found the online manuals I just had to shake my head.

Just as an edit. This didn’t come from Motiv. Motiv did a really nice build. All new parts as paid for and their prices were really reasonable. The balance job was exceptional as well. This stuff came from some vendors a couple of years ago before the manuals were available online.
    I think all the FUD is from the SBC days when guys would rebuild them in their garage and use a bead hone on their drill. Things have definitely changed since then, on imports and domestics. But consider that now even the LS motor is 20 years old, and Honda B series is nearly 30. Times have definitely changed. This will be a fun build to watch!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2384 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Felt you deserved your own thread @ninjacoupe. I like what you're doing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Definitely anticipating a base tune run to see inherent benefits before tuning goes all crazily experimental.

After all, reliability does have its place.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2384 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @ninjacoupe updates? I know I'm not the only one eagerly watching this build.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sorry, between the snow and single digit temps I haven’t even though of going out to the garage. I’ll probably take a week off in March and knock the assembly and installation out. No real rush on my end.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sorry, between the snow and single digit temps I haven’t even though of going out to the garage. I’ll probably take a week off in March and knock the assembly and installation out. No real rush on my end.
    I forget it snows places.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yea, snow and cold can really takes away any motivation. I have a propane heater and it’s mostly insulated but once it gets below freezing out you are struggling to get the garage to 40.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The garage acts like a free refrigerator this time of year until it gets so cold the beers start freezing.