Close

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I just flashed my DME with BB 1.3.3 and it was super fast. Not sure what the standard time is supposed to be, but it took just over 9 minutes and this was a first time write. Must be coded for speed :-)
    Thanks for all your development on this @trevorlee02. I left you a little Paypal for your time. Can't wait for 2.0!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by npowered Click here to enlarge
    I just flashed my DME with BB 1.3.3 and it was super fast. Not sure what the standard time is supposed to be, but it took just over 9 minutes and this was a first time write. Must be coded for speed :-)
    Indeed it is Click here to enlarge

I left you a little Paypal for your time. Can't wait for 2.0!
    Very nice of you. He deserves every penny!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Can we please get a full list of changes since the old BBFlash?

The highest priority for me is reliability and recovery options. Let's say if someone unplugs the cable mid-flash, will it safely and easily recover it? I say put the brakes on new features and work on getting it super duper reliable. The only change from the old BBFlash that's urgent is the torque monitor ceiling checksum calculation. I know someone (not well) with a 100% stock 335i that just wants a little more. I was thinking I'll flash a PPK on for them but it would be very awkward if something went wrong with the flash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bradsm87 Click here to enlarge
    Can we please get a full list of changes since the old BBFlash
    It's going to be a very long list. I'll ask @trevorlee02 if he doesn't mind compiling this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The only change from the old BBFlash that's urgent is the torque monitor ceiling checksum calculation.
    This was accomplished a while ago.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This was accomplished a while ago.

That's what I'm saying. Introducing many new features to something as risky as a flash tool is risky. Just starting with this one feature and any reliability/recovery features first then incrementally releasing betas for new features after that would be better for peace of mind.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's what I'm saying. Introducing many new features to something as risky as a flash tool is risky. Just starting with this one feature and any reliability/recovery features first then incrementally releasing betas for new features after that would be better for peace of mind.
    I think it's well under control.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

@bradsm87 - I understand your concerns. The boost ceiling checksums have been alleviated as of a few months back. If your flashing the basic ppk then any standard tool will work for that. The thing with the BB App is this, it can flash a DME that is in recovery mode back to factory. It has always been able to do that, hence why there was a read function. The app isn't just a 'flash' tool anymore, it has further developed into a larger item. I released a beta back in August/September, just for testing K Line vehicle abilities. After assisting people with over 2 dozen DME recoveries I had to pull the beta down. At that time it was only released as a beta for k line. It took me 6-8 weeks in order to get back into programming after assisting everyone with the problems. The reason that I'm not releasing slow betas is I believe the community deserves and wants more than incremental updates. Before the initial Beta release it took an average of 75 minutes to perform a full flash. I've since been able to code that down to under 9 minutes for a first time full write. In fact the past dozen vehicles that I have tested multiple items on are well within any sort of current system we have right now. I am also hoping to assist with your transmission tuning capabilities upon release. Now this will actually be done by bypassing the encryption in lieu of utilizing an Ediabas object file system that is currently available. This should allow you to do full custom tuning, no matter what your changing...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Can we please get a full list of changes since the old BBFlash?

The highest priority for me is reliability and recovery options. Let's say if someone unplugs the cable mid-flash, will it safely and easily recover it?
    I can't speak to BB 2.0 as I wasn't part of the beta, but the ability to recover is solid in 1.3.3.

When I flashed my DME for the first time, I thought my trickle charger was enough to sustain sufficient voltage during a write. Click here to enlarge
    It wasn't and voltage dropped below 12. Then wipers turned on, all steering wheel button (& stalk) functionality ceased, and the BT cable LED was steady blinking (vs intermittent indicating reads or writes). I had to turn off and on the car and upon reading ECU, BB said the car was in recovery mode. Hooked up jumper cables to my running minivan then wrote again. 9 minute for a full write. So went from stock DME, to recovery mode, to full flash in around 10 minutes.
    I can only assume the same coding logic (and efficiency) is present in 2.0.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So went from stock DME, to recovery mode, to full flash in around 10 minutes.
    I can only assume the same coding logic (and efficiency) is present in 2.0.
    It is and that should really help alleviate concerns with those who are scared of bricking their DME.

Trevor was able to recover every ECU except one I think that was physically damaged. Maybe even that one too, I don't remember.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by trevorlee02 Click here to enlarge
    @bradsm87 - I understand your concerns. The boost ceiling checksums have been alleviated as of a few months back. If your flashing the basic ppk then any standard tool will work for that. The thing with the BB App is this, it can flash a DME that is in recovery mode back to factory. It has always been able to do that, hence why there was a read function. The app isn't just a 'flash' tool anymore, it has further developed into a larger item. I released a beta back in August/September, just for testing K Line vehicle abilities. After assisting people with over 2 dozen DME recoveries I had to pull the beta down. At that time it was only released as a beta for k line. It took me 6-8 weeks in order to get back into programming after assisting everyone with the problems. The reason that I'm not releasing slow betas is I believe the community deserves and wants more than incremental updates. Before the initial Beta release it took an average of 75 minutes to perform a full flash. I've since been able to code that down to under 9 minutes for a first time full write. In fact the past dozen vehicles that I have tested multiple items on are well within any sort of current system we have right now. I am also hoping to assist with your transmission tuning capabilities upon release. Now this will actually be done by bypassing the encryption in lieu of utilizing an Ediabas object file system that is currently available. This should allow you to do full custom tuning, no matter what your changing...
    10 minutes for a full flash is good, that's close to what an Icom does.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes, crazy fast. Takes 18-28 on MHD for an updated write. Very cool on unable to brick DME and ability to recover it also. This is really going to be a huge development for quite a few platforms with the included TCU tuning features.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AsheL Click here to enlarge
    This is really going to be a huge development for quite a few platforms
    I'm blown away by the amount of platforms personally, it's amazing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Can't wait for release...could be the best christmas present this year Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PD330 Click here to enlarge
    Can't wait for release...could be the best christmas present this year Click here to enlarge
    Totally agree!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Any updates yet, I check back every day with my fingers crossed

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nothing for now. Some hiccups in development but let's see where we are at @trevorlee02

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    At this point I think it's faster to chop those fingers off and watch them regrow than to hope for some magical do everything for everything program.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by iminhell1 Click here to enlarge
    At this point I think it's faster to chop those fingers off and watch them regrow than to hope for some magical do everything for everything program.
    Guys. It's a free program that will,offer everything the big boys do.

Have some faith.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I know it will happen and when it does it will be great. I definitely have faith in that. I also know it’s free for the most part. I also know it sucks waiting for it, it’s been four months so far of every night checking for a status update of some kind. I can only imagine how frustrated Trevor has to be in it not be completed by now also. I’m pretty sure everyone is frustrated by how long this is taking. I hope Trevor can get it together for all concerned, him included.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I can only imagine how frustrated Trevor has to be in it not be completed by now also.
    The frustrating part is sometimes people get added to the team and then just drop out without warning.

I mean we aren't a big company so it sucks when you rely on others who give their word and they just take off.

Plus the financial burden as Trevor has a family and kids and this is a side project.

If you guys want to help, send him a few bucks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Or just charge for it. Hate to be crude, but people are more inclined to throw money at a finished product. Especially if it's as great as you claim it will be.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tofu Click here to enlarge
    Or just charge for it. Hate to be crude, but people are more inclined to throw money at a finished product. Especially if it's as great as you claim it will be.
    I promised a free app and so it shall be for the N54.

The areas that require further development or other platforms likely will be charged but I keep my word to you guys.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Guys, sorry for the silence and being non responsive. As @Sticky stated, there has been multiple people who have volunteered to assist and then drop off the face of the earth. This past month has been nearly impossible to devote much time to the project. I realized Christmas was coming up and had to make some money for gifts for my family. I have done 4 LS swaps, a 454 build, 6L80E rebuild and custom install, as well as a few other various smaller projects. This project as stated was a side project for me for the community. However, it turned into a full time gig really quick... just a volunteer one... For those that don't understand the basics of how the various computers work, I ask that you download one of the binary files in the download section here. First, open it up in some form of HEX viewer/editor and find the identification of the file, seperate the data portion from the program portion, then identify the various maps, checksums, and authentication. After that, then add the necessary items to the program in a C# application to work with an interface.

My problem has never been the programming, I have learned more than I ever cared to about binary files, automotive communication channels, sequencing, authentication, bypassing algorithms, finding maps, and a lot more items. Honestly, I have liked doing the automotive portion more than the actual application portion. Doing one or the other isn't an actual issue, it's focusing attention to fully complete a single binary file and then adding the required parts of it into the application. Some who have experience in coding, have found a few definitions in specific binary files have offered assistance and have shared information. Some people have a particular interest to ensure this application doesn't see the light of day. So getting assistance and keeping assistance is an extremely hard task, especially for free. My family has taken a rather hard hit by me not working (for a paid job), and working on the application (something I love doing). My wife and I moved my step son to his dad's in Oklahoma in order for him to try out the school and area there. I got back home 24 hrs ago from a deer hunting trip that my brother took me on. (<-- I shot 2 Axis Doe and a Whitetail doe) We have a freeze coming in the next few days so I will be prepping our water lines, animals, and drain lines for the freeze... Afterwards I have a truck that got dropped off today that needs an oil pan gasket <- another crap LS engine...

I am still messing with things while working on these other odd jobs, ie: tuned my brothers 2010 Chevy Silverado from my phone with a bluetooth obd2 adapter. I can assure everyone that I'm going to be working back at it over the coming week. I am hoping to release just the N54 portion as we had before, but with various cables completed around Mid-January, hopefully! I have looked at how one of the transmission tuning applications are able to modify the files and authenticate them to the TCU. I have found that EDIABAS object files - a community free tool is being utilized to flash the transmissions on BMW's. After reviewing that and seeing ways that other actual tuning platforms are flashing their transmissions I have found a way that doesn't limit the tuning capabilities of the transmissions as it does by utilizing a BMW Standard tool like Ediabas files. This won't be an all in one inclusive application to cure all, just as a few others have stated, but it will assist people in tuning their vehicles for the hardware upgrades that they make. I will post more updates as I am able to further work on the application in the coming weeks.

By the way, if anyone has an extra turbos that they'll sell me for cheap then I'd love to get my hands on a set. My personal 2008 335i sedan has been down for a couple months from my original blown turbos. I replaced them with a set of cores that was given to me, which I'm very grateful for, but the seals on the rear one was bad... I found out when starting my car and having a pile of smoke coming out the back like a coal rolling diesel...

Anyways, there's an update for y'all!

Shout out to - @Derek@MoorePerformance for your assistance when available, I appreciate it! As well as the others who remain nameless due to the backlash that is received from those who wish this application to not manifest...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by trevorlee02 Click here to enlarge
    By the way, if anyone has an extra turbos that they'll sell me for cheap then I'd love to get my hands on a set. My personal 2008 335i sedan has been down for a couple months from my original blown turbos. I replaced them with a set of cores that was given to me, which I'm very grateful for, but the seals on the rear one was bad... I found out when starting my car and having a pile of smoke coming out the back like a coal rolling diesel...
    I thought a deal was worked out to replace these turbos with an upgraded set?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast