Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

6 out of 6 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

BBApp 2.0 GUIDE!

*** Check for updates at the bottom of this post! ***

BB Flash Basics, Startup, and FAQ

What is BB Flash?

BB Flash is a free flash tuning program designed to supported by the community and offered for free for people to create their own tuning maps or use maps shared by others in the community to flash to their own cars for free. These maps are unlockable and are a much more "complete" flash to the DME. Multiple bin files are able to be flashed. If you need or would like to request a specific bin file to be flashed then you may request so from this link.

Can I use BB Flash as a backend flash in conjunction with my JB4?
    Yes you can! In fact, Terry has a complete layout on how to do this on his forum n54tech.com The specific link is http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29236

How do I get BB Flash and where do I start?

You can find the BB Flash software in the downloads section of this forum.

Connection to vehicle

You will need an interface to connect your laptop to your vehicle. Any of the cables listed below will work:
    1. Standard INPA K+DCAN cable (Amazon or EBay – Cheap)
    2. Bavarian Technic Cable – with or without a vin available. (burgertuning.com/scanner.html)

Once you have the cable and have downloaded a map that someone shared with you, or you got from the download section located at the top of the forum, then you can proceed to the following:

(WARNING: Although BB Flash has been successfully used on many vehicles this is not a commercially sold product and support is limited to the community, its users, and developer with any aftermarket OEM altering software or hardware there are risks involved in using it. If you do not understand what flash tuning is and this is your first aftermarket upgrade to your vehicle, chances are this might cause issues with your vehicle)

Using the software

1) Install BB Flash Software on your computer by clicking the setup file you downloaded
    2) Once installed then plug in your cable to your computer usb port.

• Make sure your computer recognizes the cable with either an audible sound notifying a new device detected or by the computer automatically installing required software drivers for the cable.

3) Plug your cable into the OBD2 port of your car (located below dash on left hand side)

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO CONNECT VEHICLE TO A CHARGER NOW

Note: If you have a JB4, Cobb, MHD, or any other tuning devices on your vehicle then please place them in the OFF position or flash your vehicle back to stock with the original interface that was utilized before proceeding!!!

4) Click the button "Identify DME" check your DME code and be sure the file you downloaded is specifically for your DME type, ie: I8XXX DME requires an I8XXX bin file to be flashed

5) Click “Read ECU” This will be your stock "map" file and can be reloaded later if you incur other issues loading modified files. DO NOT PROCEED IF YOUR VOLTAGE IS AT 0 IN THE BB FLASH HOMESCREEN. If you have an 07 or older N54 it is recommended that you connect a charger to your vehicle as these DME's are known as "K-line" and are more sensitive to low voltage and can cause incomplete read/writing of the DME files.

Note: The Read portion will sometimes take longer than normal to read out your current bin file. We are working diligently to overcome this situation.

6) Write your new file to the DME. Click “Write ECU” and select the .bin file you either modified or downloaded. The write should not take nearly as long as the read, however the initial write may still take some time. After the first write, additional writes are only about 10 minutes.

7) BB Flash software will notify you with a status bar when the flash is complete. (If you had an incomplete flash please see below in the troubleshooting section) You are now complete and may unplug the cable from your vehicle, turn off the ignition (2 seconds), turn on the ignition, start the car and check out your new flash!

FAQ SECTION

Where do I get maps for BB Flash?

Lots of maps are available for the BB Flash via the downloads section here at bimmerboost.com

Any map will work no matter the source that it came from. If you are in need of a specific map type then feel free to click here and request a map for your specific type be sent to you. Please include your vehicle year, model, DME type, upgrades you have, and what you would like or not like with the tune.

How do I modify/create my own maps?

You will need to make sure you have the .xdf file for your specific DME code. Once you have this you need to download tunerpro. You can get this from their website. http://www.tunerpro.net/

This is again, free software, but I believe they have a paid version that offers some more features.

Troubleshooting:

My voltage is 0 what should I do?

You may need to click "read DME" multiple times for your voltage to show up. Sometimes this is caused by your computer software not communicating properly. Also it may not be a bad idea to have a charger hooked up to your car during your first read/write as they are lengthy. Usually not necessary for additional writes. Also make sure that your laptop is plugged in as this can cause an issue.

I was writing a map and it stopped before completion?

This is known as a partial write and may show up as an "authentication error". The write process happens in three stages, and if it fails during any of these stages the firmware on the DME is incomplete and will not operate the vehicle. This is probably caused by voltage. Make sure you have a charger on your car, and laptop/computer and try writing again. If this doesn't work the DME may have been left in a state where it will not receive a write and needs to be reset. Simply unplug the neg. terminal on the battery for a couple minutes to allow the DME to completely reset then reconnect and try again. If this fails you can also attempt a force write.

I loaded a bin file and it completed fine, but now my car won't start/run correctly?

It's probably just a bad bin i.e. poorly modified for one reason or another. This is where your stock bin comes in handy. Just reload it and start fresh, or try loading another bin that you know someone else has used successfully.

When will there be updates to this application?

Since the application is freeware, then the development typically happens when time is permitted for our current developer. Updates go out in a specific order though, major updates are released for known problems that keep occurring, then feature updates. The goal of this application is to allow everyone the opportunity to flash their vehicle for free! This leaves a significant amount of money on the table for you to spend on upgrades and items that will compliment your new flash. Items such as:

JB4

COILS

Twin Turbo Upgrades

Inlets/Outlets

Or various other upgrades.

What about doing an Alpina Fash to enjoy with my newly tuned engine?

Glad you asked this! The developer of this application gladly assists people with doing the Alpina, Sport, or custom transmission flashing by asking them here. This actually is a feature that we are eagerly attempting to place into the application due to the overwhelming requests. Flashing your vehicle with this software will very soon allow you to tune in launch modes, custom transmission shift points, as well as various other DME support.

Special THANKS to those who have assisted in making this application what it is today!

@Sticky Click here to enlarge

@Terra Click here to enlarge

@those who wish to remain nameless Click here to enlarge
    @BavarianTechnic for the ultimate interface connection Click here to enlarge

*Update 8/5/2017 -- We have temporarily removed the BB App 2.0 beta until I am able to release a quick updated revision to it. If anyone has a failed flash from using the application, then please send your logs (logfile.log) to trevorlee02@gmail.com. Since writing this guide I have assisted at least 15 people with flashing their vehicles from BMW Standard Tools or BB App. There are still a couple out there that will be receiving help this weekend, if time permits. I am repairing the protocol command structure that was causing the failure with a select few bins that it seems everyone utilized that caused the recovery issue to occur. Thank you everyone for your patience and testing of the application; however, please remember that flashing your only vehicle with a beta app to gain a few horsepower is not worth having to walk or huffy yourself to work until I am able to assist you. I am hoping to have this revised version of the beta app ready by Sunday afternoon for release again. The full release will not be out for at least another couple of weeks due to assisting people with their DME's that are in recovery mode and the faulty file write on the particular bin files. There are multiple changes, modifications, additions, and revisions that are being added in to the application. Thank you for everyone's support and I look forward to the next beta then release in a couple of weeks.

Trevor
    Last edited by trevorlee02; 08-05-2017 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Add an update to the post

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very, very well done.

The community deserves all the credit here. Fantastic work everyone (even those of you hiding in the shadows)!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Bumping this before sticky'ing it.

We should be getting a new version of the app shortly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Bumping this before sticky'ing it.

We should be getting a new version of the app shortly.
    Thank you @Sticky

BBApp does have the capability to use the cheaper INPA K+DCAN cables right now.

The upcoming version is currently being worked on, so far I have added the ability to:
    Tune any bin file applicable for your DME type, no matter the source.
    Updated Checksums for torque tables
    One click modification for Coil upgrades
    Wastegate rattle fix
    Idle RPM selection
    Transmission type selection - and able to flash the Alpina mod
    Tuning interface inside of app

I should be able to wrap it up by the end of this week or beginning of next week and most likely will be available within a couple of weeks for the android and iOS platforms.

I meant to have another release out by now that will integrate the Bavarian Technic cable; however, once I received the coding I had to change a multitude of pages. Therefore, it is only logical to make all of the changes that are currently on the backlog. The items listed above are what I have added into the user interface and am actively finishing the logic and action portion of the application in the back end. <-- Very time consuming. If anyone has anything else that they want added, then now would be the last time to tell me... or if you have helpful XML, XDF's, bin's, or other coding that you would like then you can reply here or pm me since some are not as eager to get this application working completely.

**Edit - forgot to add that I have also integrated the Bluetooth interfaces into the application as well; therefore, you don't have to have an annoying cable that doesn't charge your phone connected.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by trevorlee02 Click here to enlarge
    The upcoming version is currently being worked on, so far I have added the ability to:
    Wastegate rattle fix
    Idle RPM selection

Dude... you're on such a roll it's unbelievable.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Thanks for the updates, lot of good work going on here. This will be a huge resource for the community especially if it's ever ported over to mobile.
    2010 135i, 6MT, VRSF 7"FMIC/VRSF DP's/VRSF Charge Pipe/Stock DVs/Helix Style Hybrid intake/ JB4 E40

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice work ...

How are things going with the datalogging services ?

I've got the bav cables ... let me know if you need to have this tested.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by trevorlee02 Click here to enlarge
    Thank you @Sticky

BBApp does have the capability to use the cheaper INPA K+DCAN cables right now.

Wastegate rattle fix
    Idle RPM selection

I should be able to wrap it up by the end of this week or beginning of next week and most likely will be available within a couple of weeks for the android and iOS platforms.

I meant to have another release out by now that will integrate the Bavarian Technic cable; however, once I received the coding I had to change a multitude of pages. Therefore, it is only logical to make all of the changes that are currently on the backlog. The items listed above are what I have added into the user interface and am actively finishing the logic and action portion of the application in the back end. <-- Very time consuming. If anyone has anything else that they want added, then now would be the last time to tell me... or if you have helpful XML, XDF's, bin's, or other coding that you would like then you can reply here or pm me since some are not as eager to get this application working completely.

**Edit - forgot to add that I have also integrated the Bluetooth interfaces into the application as well; therefore, you don't have to have an annoying cable that doesn't charge your phone connected.
    RBB@Codewerx

Chart Crafting and Tuning - F Series OBD, MHD & JB4 BEF

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sabre Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the updates, lot of good work going on here. This will be a huge resource for the community especially if it's ever ported over to mobile.
    Mobile porting will happen. It's just not a priority right now.

Honestly, you guys are getting AMAZING support and features for free right now. This is exceeding anyone's expectations.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Is this the place to reach out for support for the app or do we wanna create another thread?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by florida2002m3 Click here to enlarge
    Is this the place to reach out for support for the app or do we wanna create another thread?
    You have reached out, shoot me an email: trevorlee02@gmail.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    sent, and sent. Thanks for your time!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Definitely post in the thread. Don't want to have a ton of BB app threads.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Additionally guys, if you have suggestions or feature requests make them in this thread.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Additionally guys, if you have suggestions or feature requests make them in this thread.
    Great job. Kudos.
    Based on my experience w mhd and the many threads i read, consider revising the cable? I have heard so many failures w the cheap ebay amazon cables its a disservice. Why not recommend two that work consistently and its $40 or so..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sgop335 Click here to enlarge
    Great job. Kudos.
    Based on my experience w mhd and the many threads i read, consider revising the cable? I have heard so many failures w the cheap ebay amazon cables its a disservice. Why not recommend two that work consistently and its $40 or so..
    The best cable option is the Bavarian Technic cable.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sticky'd.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hey, check back to the OP to see updates, I will post them at the bottom of that post! Thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for all your work (everyone else's too). Especially FREE work, this community is indebted to you!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for all your work (everyone else's too). Especially FREE work, this community is indebted to you!
    Trevor is doing awesome work. We are all grateful.

Wait until you see what is coming next!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    TPMS warning removal for track days or to run a different setup without TPMS. Not sure if it was suggested already.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ///MPOSTER Click here to enlarge
    TPMS warning removal for track days or to run a different setup without TPMS. Not sure if it was suggested already.
    Wasn't. Good suggestion, thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Am I just blind or was the file removed from the download section? No way to download the tool at this time?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PD330 Click here to enlarge
    Am I just blind or was the file removed from the download section? No way to download the tool at this time?
    The beta was removed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Beta was removed as @Sticky stated, too many support requests without time to proceed forward with the newest creation. It will be done soon.

In the words of some others who support the app--
    "Big things coming soon!"

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just keep at it Trevor. It may take a while but we know it's going to kick ass when it's finally here!!

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast