Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    This isn't rocket science.
    I chuckled.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Robert is developing these for other platforms needing a medium/low dwell coil and isn't going anywhere. Also, there are OEM and performance versions of this coil available from retailers like AEM, megasquirt, mercury marine, MSD etc. They like a little more dwell but still kick ass, that's why it was even chosen as a base. We're not the first to modify the mercury marine coil. There's no reason you couldn't use one or 6 of an inductive version if you're running with the MHD option checked since it adds just enough dwell. It's custom, but it's still just a coil. You could put a factory one with the PR kit and it would run fine just a little saturated with lower energy. With the MHD table changes you can really run just about any coil you want now, we even tested CDI coils at .1ohm and guess what? Better than stock. Just drew excessive current to do it. This isn't rocket science.
    Good stuff. I'm more apt to go thus direction then if there are readily available replacements. Thanks for the info.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I was thinking the same as TEC. Audi coils will always be available and if I don't have to ship something from the US it reduces costs alot but thanks for the additional info V8Bait
    Best:11.79@119mph on stock turbos.
    11.74@129 on GCs.
    FBO+Meth Port injection, GC Turbos, custom bucketless stage2, JB4, Trebila flash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I understand what MHD has accomplished in terms of running any coil out there but what does it mean?

1. we can just put any coil in (adapting harness) and use the tick box option on mhd without a signal box
    2. install your preferred coil but also add a signal box for the system to work

so basically do we need a signal box to run R8 coils or will mhd take care of everything?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 1///M Click here to enlarge
    I understand what MHD has accomplished in terms of running any coil out there but what does it mean?

1. we can just put any coil in (adapting harness) and use the tick box option on mhd without a signal box
    2. install your preferred coil but also add a signal box for the system to work

so basically do we need a signal box to run R8 coils or will mhd take care of everything?
    The R8 coils are a smart coil and they need a signal box. The tick in MHD is just setting the dwell tables to the optimum settings for that coil, changing the adaptation tables and also disabling the multispark.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    so since bimmerlife is sold out, who is going to diy this? I'm not great with ignition systems but it seems like all that's needed is converting the high current signal from the DME to a 5v low side signal

edit: and a high voltage diode on the secondary winding high side?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by noorj Click here to enlarge
    so since bimmerlife is sold out, who is going to diy this? I'm not great with ignition systems but it seems like all that's needed is converting the high current signal from the DME to a 5v low side signal

edit: and a high voltage diode on the secondary winding high side?
    You're backwards. The 5v signal you need for smart coils is a high signal. It's a TTL falling edge signal, square wave. The same signal the DME sends to the built in transistor in the DME. You need that signal for smart coils.

But you don't have that signal since the DME has the smart part built in. You have the switched ground, a low "signal". It's analog basically, as it's intended to directly charge the coil. You need to take that switched ground and convert it back to a 5V square signal. Then you take that signal and send it to the transistor in the smart coil. Which is exactly like the one in the DME already. That 5v signal will switch a low side ground on the transistor in the "smart" coil, which charges the coil.

Whether you have a diode on the coil secondary is coil dependent. They tend to have them in smart coils to prevent frying the transistor. You can have them in dumb could too if you want but generally there's capacitors and diodes elsewhere in the igniter etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So Justin, is it possible to run these BL coils along with a plasma ground to increase secondary spark discharge current?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ericbh77 Click here to enlarge
    So Justin, is it possible to run these BL coils along with a plasma ground to increase secondary spark discharge current?
    Maybe? I've never been able to fully understand what it does, but I don't think you'd want to. The reason being, on a dumb coil the secondary ground is a backup pathway safety, and I presume the idea behind the plasma ground is to do something with it to increase energy, they show like an oscillation in spark energy and voltage. On the dumb coil that's ok because that path is only the coil secondary, no communication to anything else. On smart coils that path is shared with the transistor that fires the coil, for the primary side ground.

What I mean is, on dumb coil you have +12 and negative to the DME that grounds to earth for the primary side. Secondary side is isolated to the spark plug and ground at the head. On a smart coil, generally the primary side ground and the secondary alternate ground share the same path. That means if you are doing something odd to the ground for the secondary side, you're also messing with the primary side ground that's connected to the IGBT inside the smart coil. It's not isolated like a dumb coil. This picture of a LS might help, on a dumb coil the primary and secondary are completely separate vs this:

Click here to enlarge
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They say its compatible with any oem style coil. I guess there's only one way to find out. Hehe

https://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/oka...6.html?image=1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They say its compatible with any oem style coil. I guess there's only one way to find out. Hehe

https://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/oka...6.html?image=1
    That looks like a 3 wire conventional coil setup not a smart setup. If it says it works on cars like the camaro you're good though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Its for bmw only. And that diagram is for the n54. Google plasma ground and give it a read and tell me what you think

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Is Bimmerlife planning on producing any more of these kits?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    They are constantly being produced, just sell out within a few hours. I'm working on getting them more mass produced to keep up with the demand.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hobbit382 Click here to enlarge
    most the people using them in Europe are using standalones which makes it much easier to implement. I've run them in my personal cars for 5+ years and recently saw a need for them in the n54 community which is why they are now available.
    except standalones don't exist

except that one released a few months ago that has basically no features and i doubt anyone is running...
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)

Its for bmw only. And that diagram is for the n54. Google plasma ground and give it a read and tell me what you think
    So reading about it I have no idea what they are doing on the secondary ground to create this AC signal and increase energy. I don't think I'd be too comfortable running this to begin with, and would be extra cautious on a smart coil system or any coil that has a diode on the secondary, etc.

What would help spark would be the Okada Plasma Lift, or the KB Boost-A-Spark. These systems will step up supply voltage from 12 up to 20-24 volts on the primary side. That would increase charge speed of the coil (better for high RPM), and significantly increase the secondary voltage since a coil is just a transformer. 14V is getting stepped up to around 40kV, so 20V on the supply side would be a significant voltage increase on the seecondary. If you wanna be about dat gap lyfe, that would be an answer. At 20V you could probably fire a .045" gap if the coil has the energy to sustain a spark after firing and you wouldn't be sacrificing efficiency by adding secondary wraps to get there. CDI's work similar by increasing voltage on the supply end to create crazy high voltage on the secondary.

I don't think you'd want to use the boost-a-spark or plasma lift on the OEM BMW coils as they are prone to burning up (so many died on the bench) but on the PR side we got dwell/saturation data at the maximum power supply voltage of like 18V and torture tested them there at 40% duty cycle until we got hungry for lunch. The tables are already set in the flash (conservatively) for supply voltages up to 24V in case anyone uses something like these. It would also benefit the Audi for voltage, but in our testing the Audi already makes a lot of voltage so it would be a little redundant. The Audi with its low resistance primary charges fast at 12v. Stepping it up to 24v may exceed the DME's ability to correctly dwell them and you might damage the coils. At 24v the PR only needs like 1ms which the DME can do, the Audi would probably need half that, not sure if the DME can go that low. Maybe worth testing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thank you Justin. That explains things perfectly for me. I'm more interested in increasing voltage at higher RPMs as that is where i will be making the most power

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Is increasing supply voltage with either of these better coils really needed though? People already seem able to run crazy gaps on the R8 coils so why go further than necessary?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)

Is increasing supply voltage with either of these better coils really needed though? People already seem able to run crazy gaps on the R8 coils so why go further than necessary?
    Was going to the moon necessary? Was eating the entire tube of Pringle's necessary? What about gender neutral bathroom laws? Dropping an A bomb on Japan, twice? Changing Coke zero to Coke zero sugar?

We do these things, not because we need to, but because...

I lost my train of thought sorry sir.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Was going to the moon necessary? Was eating the entire tube of Pringle's necessary? What about gender neutral bathroom laws? Dropping an A bomb on Japan, twice? Changing Coke zero to Coke zero sugar?

I laughed out loud.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Hilarious!

Hilarious!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Lol okay fair enough

either way I'm going to keep looking into DIY-ing this one

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's what i was thinking. If the coils we buy come say around .03x its not like we would open that gap up further before install.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Converting the DME signal (shorting to ground the coil with IGBT) to a 5V TTL signal should be easy...

A PNP transistor and a 78l05 voltage regulator should do the trick. feed the +5v to the emitter of the transistor
    put a 10K resistor from the basis of the transistor to the DME coil output. Connect the collector of the transistor with a 1K resistor to ground. connect the collector to the smart coil drive pin.

Do R8 coils fit the N54 head without modification?

Do we have aces to the DME dwel tables and disable of the multi spark via tunerpro xdf bbflash?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast