Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Traf Click here to enlarge
    Thats a load of BS, most people will look at performance per dollar. Besides, i'm pretty sure you can't even think of any use for 16 cores, let alone 18.
    Even i don't, and i'm a IT system engineer.
    As an engineer then you should know this will be amazing in the IT world for spinning up local VMs for testing, or for your marketing department when it comes to processing large videos and images.
    DocRace 6266 - AD-E 650HP Intercooler - DocRace Intake Manifold - Fuel-It Stage 3 - 560whp @ 20psi on 93 octane only

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xShadows Click here to enlarge
    Nah, the Ryzen was AMD's first halfway decent processor in forever. Intel didn't have to answer because they were still winning. Ryzen only beat the new i7 on a hand full of benchmarks and the intel CPU beat the AMD in other areas. It was essentially a tie, except Intel had theirs out for 6 months prior.
    This...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    As an engineer then you should know this will be amazing in the IT world for spinning up local VMs for testing, or for your marketing department when it comes to processing large videos and images.
    Are we talking home or work ? Who needs 18/36 core/threads at home ? Except Sticky of course...
    It is of course a whole different story for companies, even then, performance per dollar is the main factor.

Nah, the Ryzen was AMD's first halfway decent processor in forever. Intel didn't have to answer because they were still winning. Ryzen only beat the new i7 on a hand full of benchmarks and the intel CPU beat the AMD in other areas. It was essentially a tie, except Intel had theirs out for 6 months prior.
    Like i said, pure performance isn't the only factor. Especialy for the pro world.

Lets say we take an Intel cpu with an arbitrary performance score of 100 priced at $2000 vs an AMD cpu with a score of 80 but priced $1000. Who in their right mind would go for the Intel one ? Unless you run a particular set of instructions optimized load, the choice is clear.
    This is exactly what is happening now with Ryzen, and what will happen with threadripper. No doubt that threadripper will be slower than the 18 core Intel CPU, but it will be way less expensive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Who needs 18/36 core/threads at home ? Except Sticky of course...
    Just to be clear I'm not saying I need them but I'd rather have more power than I need anyway.

Every single time I buy a computer people tell me it's overkill yet I always manage to rather easily tax it...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Just to be clear I'm not saying I need them but I'd rather have more power than I need anyway.

Every single time I buy a computer people tell me it's overkill yet I always manage to rather easily tax it...
    This is more than overkill in this particular case.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is more than overkill in this particular case.
    I'll agree to disagree. I like computers and cutting edge hardware. Having something absurdly powerful is always fun for me from a tinkering perspective plus if it truly is overkill my upgrade window is significantly extended.

There will still be the HP per $ cpu's of course and those are great for the majority of people.

However, a Prius is also great for commuting. There is a reason I drive a Porsche instead.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'll agree to disagree. I like computers and cutting edge hardware. Having something absurdly powerful is always fun for me from a tinkering perspective plus if it truly is overkill my upgrade window is significantly extended.

There will still be the HP per $ cpu's of course and those are great for the majority of people.

However, a Prius is also great for commuting. There is a reason I drive a Porsche instead.
    But that analogy doesn't really hold water. The Pruis and 911 are nowhere near competitors.

The Ryzen vs I9 is more like GTR vs 911 Turbo S (or maybe GT2). Both are very fast but one is a small bit faster but its lot more expensive.
    AMD is not like the Prius, it would be more like a Corvette vs your 911 (except nowadays the Vette is faster so Corvette vs 911 is going to be like Threadripper vs i9).
    Cadillac CTS-V - 6MT - Lingenfelter upper pulley, Airaid CF Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, fluidyne H/X

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by subaru335i Click here to enlarge
    But that analogy doesn't really hold water. The Pruis and 911 are nowhere near competitors.

The Ryzen vs I9 is more like GTR vs 911 Turbo S (or maybe GT2). Both are very fast but one is a small bit faster but its lot more expensive.
    AMD is not like the Prius, it would be more like a Corvette vs your 911 (except nowadays the Vette is faster so Corvette vs 911 is going to be like Threadripper vs i9).
    It does hold water if you factor in is a 911 overkill for commuting?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
    It does hold water if you factor in is a 911 overkill for commuting?
    Yeah I suppose, I thought we were still on the intel vs amd. Forgot that it moved to overkill vs home usage.
    Cadillac CTS-V - 6MT - Lingenfelter upper pulley, Airaid CF Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, fluidyne H/X

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There's plenty of analogies that can be made. Ultimately, it's nice to see an arms race again.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The entire industry media is crapping on Intel's x-series paper launch. None of the motherboard manufacturers hadn't even heard about the 12 through 18 core models. All they were ever told to develop for was up to the 10 core cpu. Basically AMD scared the sh*t out of Intel and forced them to rush out this launch. The 12 through 18 core is basically vaperware at the moment and won't be available at hard launch, some say as late as early 2018. Also the way they structured their cpu's, with the 8 core only having 28 lanes. Forcing customers to jump up to 10 core for another $400 for full 44 lanes. Same old Intel money grab tricks, not smart. AMD Threadripper will have 64 lanes across the entire range.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BlackJetE90OC Click here to enlarge
    The entire industry media is crapping on Intel's x-series paper launch. None of the motherboard manufacturers hadn't even heard about the 12 through 18 core models. All they were ever told to develop for was up to the 10 core cpu. Basically AMD scared the sh*t out of Intel and forced them to rush out this launch. The 12 through 18 core is basically vaperware at the moment and won't be available at hard launch, some say as late as early 2018. Also the way they structured their cpu's, with the 8 core only having 28 lanes. Forcing customers to jump up to 10 core for another $400 for full 44 lanes. Same old Intel money grab tricks, not smart. AMD Threadripper will have 64 lanes across the entire range.
    That makes sense. At this point, more cores won't do much for most uses of these chips. You really need more PCIe lanes to make these useful for anything real.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just saw the new $5k iMac Pro is going to use the yet to be released AMD Radeon Vega GPU. AMD is doing a complete 180. It will be interesting to see their market share and stock price a year or two from now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just saw the new $5k iMac Pro is going to use the yet to be released AMD Radeon Vega GPU. AMD is doing a complete 180. It will be interesting to see their market share and stock price a year or two from now.
    /r/wallstreetbets would like a word with you. They have been saying AyEmDee is going to the moon for at least the last year lol. Any growth is already baked into the current price.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Basically AMD scared the sh*t out of Intel and forced them to rush out this launch.
    That's how it feels. Still, doesn't Intel have a huge advantage? They were standing pat this whole time.

I hope that AMD threadripper actually delivers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    AMD Threadripper will have 64 lanes across the entire range.
    I started doing more research on this Threadripper proc and you guys may be right.

It's set to start in the $8XX range and it consumes less power.

Rumored to cost $849, AMD is about to launch an entry-level Threadripper CPU. The chip has 16 cores and 32 threads. The platform will have a whopping 40 MB of cache (32 L3 + 8 L2) and 64 PCIe lanes. AMD is dedicating 48 of those PCIe lanes for the graphics cards.
    I may need to build a desktop. About time for a three screen 4k machine I think. I can always just keep my laptop for when I need to travel.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I may need to build a desktop. About time for a three screen 4k machine I think. I can always just keep my laptop for when I need to travel.
    That's what I just built over Black Friday a few months back. 3 - 27'' 4k screens, 2 - GTX 1060 cards - I7-6700k, dual M.2 950 EVO SSD's. This thing is stupid fast. But I do a lot of lab work with virtual machines, gaming, etc.
    DocRace 6266 - AD-E 650HP Intercooler - DocRace Intake Manifold - Fuel-It Stage 3 - 560whp @ 20psi on 93 octane only

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's what I just built over Black Friday a few months back. 3 - 27'' 4k screens, 2 - GTX 1060 cards - I7-6700k, dual M.2 950 EVO SSD's. This thing is stupid fast. But I do a lot of lab work with virtual machines, gaming, etc.
    What is the power drain? Does it make a large impact with your electricity bill?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What is the power drain? Does it make a large impact with your electricity bill?
    No idea, I've been mining Ethereum (and buying) for the last 11 months. Sitting on a $#@! TON of Eth right now and it's worth 275 each currently. And mining any crytocurrency kind of kills your power bill.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No idea, I've been mining Ethereum (and buying) for the last 11 months. Sitting on a $#@! TON of Eth right now and it's worth 275 each currently. And mining any crytocurrency kind of kills your power bill.
    Haven't even heard of Ethereum, new crypto fad? Seems a new one is popping up every minute.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Haven't even heard of Ethereum, new crypto fad? Seems a new one is popping up every minute.
    Let me put it this way... I'm sitting on over 1000 ETH. It was worth less than 5 dollars each last year, it's worth 275 now. It's projected to exceed Bitcoin (which is 2700 dollars right now) by the end of next year because it's more secure. Buy in now. Thank me later.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Let me put it this way... I'm sitting on over 1000 ETH. It was worth less than 5 dollars each last year, it's worth 275 now. It's projected to exceed Bitcoin (which is 2700 dollars right now) by the end of next year because it's more secure. Buy in now. Thank me later.
    Ok, I will. What kind of rig do I need for mining?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ok, I will. What kind of rig do I need for mining?
    Only requirement is using a graphics card with at least 4GB memory. But even with my dual 1060's right now I get like .2 ETH a week and it's only getting harder. I was mining almost 10 a day about 9 months ago.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Only requirement is using a graphics card with at least 4GB memory. But even with my dual 1060's right now I get like .2 ETH a week and it's only getting harder. I was mining almost 10 a day about 9 months ago.
    But what's the best setup? Why is this currency going to work out? What makes you sure?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    But what's the best setup? Why is this currency going to work out? What makes you sure?
    Best setup is dropping as much money as you can into building 10+ GPU mining rigs.
    The currency is going to work out because it's a much more secure algorithm than BITCOIN.
    I'm so sure because of the Block Chain Alliance (Look into it) - But essentially JP Morgan, Microsoft and other huge companies have joined in an effort to back Ethereum.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast