Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 89
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,201
    Rep Points
    1,236.0
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
    a gallon pitcher, with a "brew bag" used in homebrewing to hold the coffee grinds.
    Aside from the fact that I hate this guys voice acting I'm pretty sure he's using the same method you use

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    133
    Rep Points
    272.2
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
    a gallon pitcher, with a "brew bag" used in homebrewing to hold the coffee grinds.
    @Sticky2 this is the way to do it cheap or for large quantities.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    133
    Rep Points
    272.2
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Fishayyy Click here to enlarge
    I've been wanting to buy an Aeropress. I heard they make a really good cup of coffee and it's easy to use/clean.
    yeah i can't remember why i decided against picking one up. the idea itself is good

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,196
    Rep Points
    30.0
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No

    Coffee equipment?

    I know this is the wrong section for this Sticky, but let it sit for a few days if you don't mind. I know a lot of the N54 crowd will have plenty of info for me.

    So, I used to use a French press a lot. I've also used a stove top percolator a fair bit, but want to get into grinding my own beans and back to a French press and maybe the little single cup pour over dudes. I also wouldn't mind taking a stab at making my own cold brew too.

    That said, can you guys tell me a little bit about what equipment you use, why, which coffee you use, how fine or course you grind it and what you feel all of that does for the flavor?

    Thanks, and pos rep for everyone with good info!

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    137,710
    Rep Points
    41,019.0
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    411


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Convert Click here to enlarge
    I know this is the wrong section for this Sticky, but let it sit for a few days if you don't mind. I know a lot of the N54 crowd will have plenty of info for me.

    So, I used to use a French press a lot. I've also used a stove top percolator a fair bit, but want to get into grinding my own beans and back to a French press and maybe the little single cup pour over dudes. I also wouldn't mind taking a stab at making my own cold brew too.

    That said, can you guys tell me a little bit about what equipment you use, why, which coffee you use, how fine or course you grind it and what you feel all of that does for the flavor?

    Thanks, and pos rep for everyone with good info!
    I do mind as we already have a coffee thread. Threads merged.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    3,163
    Rep Points
    2,377.5
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    24


    Yes Reputation No
    I don't usually drink coffee but this is neat:


  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    970
    Rep Points
    1,406.3
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Convert Click here to enlarge
    I know this is the wrong section for this Sticky, but let it sit for a few days if you don't mind. I know a lot of the N54 crowd will have plenty of info for me.

    So, I used to use a French press a lot. I've also used a stove top percolator a fair bit, but want to get into grinding my own beans and back to a French press and maybe the little single cup pour over dudes. I also wouldn't mind taking a stab at making my own cold brew too.

    That said, can you guys tell me a little bit about what equipment you use, why, which coffee you use, how fine or course you grind it and what you feel all of that does for the flavor?

    Thanks, and pos rep for everyone with good info!
    If you want to be a bit more budget minded:

    I would look at a Capresso 560.01 Infinity Burr Grinder (about $95 on amazon). I probably wouldn't go much cheaper than that on a grinder. Keep in mind that if you opt to go with a different grinder make damn sure it's a BURR grinder, stay away from blades. I use this grinder and it's worked great with the 100+ pounds of coffee i've put through it at all different settings.

    I have a SterlingPro 8 Cup french press, about $30 on amazon. It's served me well the last 2 years I've had it.

    I then use a plastic hario v60 for pour over.


    For cold brew it comes down to how much you want to make. I started with a Hario 1L pitcher for cold brew. Unfortunately even concentrated that doesn't get you too far through the week. So I use a gallon jug with a brew bag used for homebrewing to hold the coarsely ground coffee. The ratio is like 4 cups water to 1 cup beans basically. you can adjust this to how concentrated you want your cold brew. Let it sit in the fridge for 18-24 hours.

    Different types of brewing requires different types of grinds. Here's a good guide on the different types of brewing: https://www.stumptowncoffee.com/brew-guides each of the types of brewing has a walk through on how to brew and what the grind should look like....some of the videos are a little overly hipstery though, just a forewarning.

    For french press, moka pot, and pour over coffee I use coffee I get from rookcoffee.com, a local NJ roastery. For cold brew coffee I use CoffeeBeanDirect.com's "Poor man's blend" which is $35 for a 5lb bag (whole bean). Depending on how big of a cold brew batch you make, you use quite a bit of coffee so I like to stick to the cheaper stuff. Don't get me wrong the poor man's blend makes a great cup of cold brew though and it's pretty fresh (CBD is also NJ based, I just get it from amazon to save on shipping with prime)

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,196
    Rep Points
    30.0
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
    If you want to be a bit more budget minded:

    I would look at a Capresso 560.01 Infinity Burr Grinder (about $95 on amazon). I probably wouldn't go much cheaper than that on a grinder. Keep in mind that if you opt to go with a different grinder make damn sure it's a BURR grinder, stay away from blades. I use this grinder and it's worked great with the 100+ pounds of coffee i've put through it at all different settings.

    I have a SterlingPro 8 Cup french press, about $30 on amazon. It's served me well the last 2 years I've had it.

    I then use a plastic hario v60 for pour over.


    For cold brew it comes down to how much you want to make. I started with a Hario 1L pitcher for cold brew. Unfortunately even concentrated that doesn't get you too far through the week. So I use a gallon jug with a brew bag used for homebrewing to hold the coarsely ground coffee. The ratio is like 4 cups water to 1 cup beans basically. you can adjust this to how concentrated you want your cold brew. Let it sit in the fridge for 18-24 hours.

    Different types of brewing requires different types of grinds. Here's a good guide on the different types of brewing: https://www.stumptowncoffee.com/brew-guides each of the types of brewing has a walk through on how to brew and what the grind should look like....some of the videos are a little overly hipstery though, just a forewarning.

    For french press, moka pot, and pour over coffee I use coffee I get from rookcoffee.com, a local NJ roastery. For cold brew coffee I use CoffeeBeanDirect.com's "Poor man's blend" which is $35 for a 5lb bag (whole bean). Depending on how big of a cold brew batch you make, you use quite a bit of coffee so I like to stick to the cheaper stuff. Don't get me wrong the poor man's blend makes a great cup of cold brew though and it's pretty fresh (CBD is also NJ based, I just get it from amazon to save on shipping with prime)
    That's a ton of info! Thanks, I'll have to check out that brewing link.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    137,710
    Rep Points
    41,019.0
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    411


    Yes Reputation No
    What is the cheapest and easiest way to cold brew? Would someone link to amazon?

    I need what, a pitcher, a bag, and beans?

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    970
    Rep Points
    1,406.3
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Easiest and quickest way: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I7JKAQ0/..._CEMoxbAA8SHAJ

    That'll do like 750-800ml of concentrate.fill the basket with coarsely ground been, pour water over until it's full and let sit for 18-24 hours.

    Want to go bigger you would need beans, a cheapo 1 gallon pitcher, and some kind of mesh bag. I use a home brewing bag as I use them for brewing beer, a nut milk bag should work

    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KI2RQHU/..._1HMoxbZWYXQAC

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    137,710
    Rep Points
    41,019.0
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    411


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
    Honestly... that looks simple. I'll buy that and let's see what this cold brew stuff is all about.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    970
    Rep Points
    1,406.3
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Yes Reputation No
    That's how started with it last summer, there should be a few YouTube videos that show you exactly how to brew with it.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    137,710
    Rep Points
    41,019.0
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    411


    Yes Reputation No

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,196
    Rep Points
    30.0
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Deal??? That's a god damned steal!

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    137,710
    Rep Points
    41,019.0
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    411


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Convert Click here to enlarge
    Deal??? That's a god damned steal!
    I didn't realize it was that good. What would I use this thing for though?

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,196
    Rep Points
    30.0
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I didn't realize it was that good. What would I use this thing for though?
    It was a French press and glasses, right? It was like 75% off whatever it was.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    137,710
    Rep Points
    41,019.0
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    411


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Convert Click here to enlarge
    It was a French press and glasses, right? It was like 75% off whatever it was.
    Yeah but do I really need it?

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    3,163
    Rep Points
    2,377.5
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    24


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Yeah but do I really need it?
    Nope. Some people like them. I mean for the price why not.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    137,710
    Rep Points
    41,019.0
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    411


    Yes Reputation No
    Glad I waited. Just got this French Press for $12: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A3GJVNCO01ST56

    LOL Prime day is awesome!

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,201
    Rep Points
    1,236.0
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Glad I waited. Just got this French Press for $12: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A3GJVNCO01ST56

    LOL Prime day is awesome!
    French presses are awesome and have a lot of different uses. I'm sure you'll love it

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    137,710
    Rep Points
    41,019.0
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    411


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Fishayyy Click here to enlarge
    French presses are awesome and have a lot of different uses. I'm sure you'll love it
    Are you guys not shopping on Amazon today? I've bought some pretty awesome stuff.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,201
    Rep Points
    1,236.0
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Are you guys not shopping on Amazon today? I've bought some pretty awesome stuff.
    No, I didn't. What was special about yesterday?

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    3,163
    Rep Points
    2,377.5
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    24


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Fishayyy Click here to enlarge
    No, I didn't. What was special about yesterday?
    It was prime day.

    For instance they had $450 luggage on sale for $100. Not all deals were that good but my wife and some colleges picked the luggage up.

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,201
    Rep Points
    1,236.0
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    13


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    It was prime day.

    For instance they had $450 luggage on sale for $100. Not all deals were that good but my wife and some colleges picked the luggage up.
    Oh so it's like Cyber Monday for Amazon only. That's a pretty good deal

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    3,163
    Rep Points
    2,377.5
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    24


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Fishayyy Click here to enlarge
    Oh so it's like Cyber Monday for Amazon only. That's a pretty good deal
    I would love to know how it 'really' works. Like do vendors just get rid of $#@! that isn't selling that day? Can all amazon vendors participate? What are the rules etc.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •