Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by chrisisnapping Click here to enlarge
    a gallon pitcher, with a "brew bag" used in homebrewing to hold the coffee grinds.
    Aside from the fact that I hate this guys voice acting I'm pretty sure he's using the same method you use

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    a gallon pitcher, with a "brew bag" used in homebrewing to hold the coffee grinds.
    @Sticky2 this is the way to do it cheap or for large quantities.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Fishayyy Click here to enlarge
    I've been wanting to buy an Aeropress. I heard they make a really good cup of coffee and it's easy to use/clean.
    yeah i can't remember why i decided against picking one up. the idea itself is good

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Coffee equipment?

I know this is the wrong section for this Sticky, but let it sit for a few days if you don't mind. I know a lot of the N54 crowd will have plenty of info for me.

So, I used to use a French press a lot. I've also used a stove top percolator a fair bit, but want to get into grinding my own beans and back to a French press and maybe the little single cup pour over dudes. I also wouldn't mind taking a stab at making my own cold brew too.

That said, can you guys tell me a little bit about what equipment you use, why, which coffee you use, how fine or course you grind it and what you feel all of that does for the flavor?

Thanks, and pos rep for everyone with good info!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Convert Click here to enlarge
    I know this is the wrong section for this Sticky, but let it sit for a few days if you don't mind. I know a lot of the N54 crowd will have plenty of info for me.

So, I used to use a French press a lot. I've also used a stove top percolator a fair bit, but want to get into grinding my own beans and back to a French press and maybe the little single cup pour over dudes. I also wouldn't mind taking a stab at making my own cold brew too.

That said, can you guys tell me a little bit about what equipment you use, why, which coffee you use, how fine or course you grind it and what you feel all of that does for the flavor?

I do mind as we already have a coffee thread. Threads merged.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't usually drink coffee but this is neat:

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

If you want to be a bit more budget minded:

I would look at a Capresso 560.01 Infinity Burr Grinder (about $95 on amazon). I probably wouldn't go much cheaper than that on a grinder. Keep in mind that if you opt to go with a different grinder make damn sure it's a BURR grinder, stay away from blades. I use this grinder and it's worked great with the 100+ pounds of coffee i've put through it at all different settings.

I have a SterlingPro 8 Cup french press, about $30 on amazon. It's served me well the last 2 years I've had it.

I then use a plastic hario v60 for pour over.

For cold brew it comes down to how much you want to make. I started with a Hario 1L pitcher for cold brew. Unfortunately even concentrated that doesn't get you too far through the week. So I use a gallon jug with a brew bag used for homebrewing to hold the coarsely ground coffee. The ratio is like 4 cups water to 1 cup beans basically. you can adjust this to how concentrated you want your cold brew. Let it sit in the fridge for 18-24 hours.

Different types of brewing requires different types of grinds. Here's a good guide on the different types of brewing: https://www.stumptowncoffee.com/brew-guides each of the types of brewing has a walk through on how to brew and what the grind should look like....some of the videos are a little overly hipstery though, just a forewarning.

For french press, moka pot, and pour over coffee I use coffee I get from rookcoffee.com, a local NJ roastery. For cold brew coffee I use CoffeeBeanDirect.com's "Poor man's blend" which is $35 for a 5lb bag (whole bean). Depending on how big of a cold brew batch you make, you use quite a bit of coffee so I like to stick to the cheaper stuff. Don't get me wrong the poor man's blend makes a great cup of cold brew though and it's pretty fresh (CBD is also NJ based, I just get it from amazon to save on shipping with prime)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you want to be a bit more budget minded:

I would look at a Capresso 560.01 Infinity Burr Grinder (about $95 on amazon). I probably wouldn't go much cheaper than that on a grinder. Keep in mind that if you opt to go with a different grinder make damn sure it's a BURR grinder, stay away from blades. I use this grinder and it's worked great with the 100+ pounds of coffee i've put through it at all different settings.

I have a SterlingPro 8 Cup french press, about $30 on amazon. It's served me well the last 2 years I've had it.

I then use a plastic hario v60 for pour over.

For cold brew it comes down to how much you want to make. I started with a Hario 1L pitcher for cold brew. Unfortunately even concentrated that doesn't get you too far through the week. So I use a gallon jug with a brew bag used for homebrewing to hold the coarsely ground coffee. The ratio is like 4 cups water to 1 cup beans basically. you can adjust this to how concentrated you want your cold brew. Let it sit in the fridge for 18-24 hours.

Different types of brewing requires different types of grinds. Here's a good guide on the different types of brewing: https://www.stumptowncoffee.com/brew-guides each of the types of brewing has a walk through on how to brew and what the grind should look like....some of the videos are a little overly hipstery though, just a forewarning.

For french press, moka pot, and pour over coffee I use coffee I get from rookcoffee.com, a local NJ roastery. For cold brew coffee I use CoffeeBeanDirect.com's "Poor man's blend" which is $35 for a 5lb bag (whole bean). Depending on how big of a cold brew batch you make, you use quite a bit of coffee so I like to stick to the cheaper stuff. Don't get me wrong the poor man's blend makes a great cup of cold brew though and it's pretty fresh (CBD is also NJ based, I just get it from amazon to save on shipping with prime)
    That's a ton of info! Thanks, I'll have to check out that brewing link.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What is the cheapest and easiest way to cold brew? Would someone link to amazon?

I need what, a pitcher, a bag, and beans?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Easiest and quickest way: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I7JKAQ0/..._CEMoxbAA8SHAJ

That'll do like 750-800ml of concentrate.fill the basket with coarsely ground been, pour water over until it's full and let sit for 18-24 hours.

Want to go bigger you would need beans, a cheapo 1 gallon pitcher, and some kind of mesh bag. I use a home brewing bag as I use them for brewing beer, a nut milk bag should work

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KI2RQHU/..._1HMoxbZWYXQAC

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Honestly... that looks simple. I'll buy that and let's see what this cold brew stuff is all about.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's how started with it last summer, there should be a few YouTube videos that show you exactly how to brew with it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Deal??? That's a god damned steal!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Deal??? That's a god damned steal!
    I didn't realize it was that good. What would I use this thing for though?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I didn't realize it was that good. What would I use this thing for though?
    It was a French press and glasses, right? It was like 75% off whatever it was.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It was a French press and glasses, right? It was like 75% off whatever it was.
    Yeah but do I really need it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah but do I really need it?
    Nope. Some people like them. I mean for the price why not.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Glad I waited. Just got this French Press for $12: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A3GJVNCO01ST56

LOL Prime day is awesome!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Glad I waited. Just got this French Press for $12: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A3GJVNCO01ST56

LOL Prime day is awesome!
    French presses are awesome and have a lot of different uses. I'm sure you'll love it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    French presses are awesome and have a lot of different uses. I'm sure you'll love it
    Are you guys not shopping on Amazon today? I've bought some pretty awesome stuff.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Are you guys not shopping on Amazon today? I've bought some pretty awesome stuff.
    No, I didn't. What was special about yesterday?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No, I didn't. What was special about yesterday?
    It was prime day.

For instance they had $450 luggage on sale for $100. Not all deals were that good but my wife and some colleges picked the luggage up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    It was prime day.

For instance they had $450 luggage on sale for $100. Not all deals were that good but my wife and some colleges picked the luggage up.
    Oh so it's like Cyber Monday for Amazon only. That's a pretty good deal

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh so it's like Cyber Monday for Amazon only. That's a pretty good deal
    I would love to know how it 'really' works. Like do vendors just get rid of $#@! that isn't selling that day? Can all amazon vendors participate? What are the rules etc.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast