Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

20 out of 20 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Guide to BMW's Electronic Nannies and How to Code Them Off (including e-diff disable)

For a long time, a few guys on various forums and myself have been working on figuring out how to code off the electronic nannies that these cars have. Even with DTC an DSC off, there are still tons of safety systems in place - many of which I was not aware of until I started doing research.

Now that I have coded all of them off in my car, I thought it would be useful to compile the information into one place. This would have really helped me when I was trying to figure it all out. Things I have actually disabled and tested myself on the race track:

Electronic Differential
    Engine Power Reduction to Prevent Brake Disc Overheating
    Brake Fading Compensation
    Hydraulic Brake Assist
    Maximum Brake Support
    Brake Standby
    Dynamic Performance Control

Some of these are interfering everyday during normal driving, such as hydraulic brake assist. I didn't even notice it until I turned it off and had an "Eureka" moment.

All of these things suck for track use and spirited driving. Some of these will not be new to you, but at least it is all written down for easy reference in one place with results of me actually testing the coding on track.

With advances in tuning allowing these cars to start making some real power, it will be beneficial to many enthusiasts to know which DSC parameters do what (they are still active even if DSC And DTC are turned off) and what you need to code out to disable them.

You can read the full description of the nannies and the proper setting to turn them off at my One Lap of America blog:

http://www.onelapx1.com/the-story/ho...w-actually-fun

Hope it helps!
    N55 AWD World Record: X1 35i 11.930@116mph

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very informative. Well done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well done, and thanks for compiling this. Repped. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Excellent information, many thanks.
    Hopefully I can find someone in my area to do this to my E82 when all the snow melts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great information as always!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Awesome work.
    This explains some of the weird behaviour I experienced on track with my 135i when I thought everything was turned off.
    Such as it grabbing brakes on individual wheels when going through a slalom under brakes, or the pedal sinking and the car braking much harder than I had intended.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Implemented some of these changes on my 535xiT (DD); disabling the HBA makes it soooo much easier to modulate the brakes and make the transition from trail braking to on-throttle. No doubt I can drive the car much smoother now.

Looking forward to the snow melting so I can try some of these things on my 335i!

Edit: Considering that my 535xiT is shared with my lady-friend, I'll probably go back in and re-enable Brake Standby and Maximum Brake Support--she can't drive worth a damn. It's too bad these settings aren't tied to the car/key memory, it'd be awesome to have two different DSC profiles depending on who is driving the car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very cool, thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You are the man! Thank you, been looking how to disable the e-diff bs forever!
    2010 AW/BLK 135i VM 6465 Single Turbo w/ OCDworks Modified T51r Housing, JB4 + MHD, VRSF CP & Tial, Big Tom, Fuel-It PI + Stage 3 + Return + Ethanol Sensor, BMW PE, MFactory LSD, Spec 3+ & MFactory SMFW, RB External PCV, ADV sensors, and many more....
    RIP Click here to enlarge2008 AW/BL 135i
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Possible disable e-diff and traction control but keep esc ?
    2015 M235i xdrive M Performance Edition 1/50

Track Car: 2010 Mazda Miata GT

Daily: 2014 Audi Q5 TDI Malone Stage 2

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    good stuff man. Great help to the community. I'd Rep you if i could.
    Twisted Tuning
    "Increasing the Area Under the Curve"
    Custom ECU Calibrations/High Performance Automotive Solutions
    MHD/SCT/COBB/ECUTEK...and much more!!
    www.twistedtuning.com
    www.facebook.com/twistedtuned
    twistedtuned@gmail.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Tnx for sharing!
    F21 M140i - 100-200: 8.1
    Audi TTRS - 100-200: 4.47 60-130: 5.16
    F80 M3 - 100-200: 4.45, 60-130: 5.1
    F20 M135i (sold) - 100-200: 6.26 , 60-130: 7.4
    peter@pureturbos.eu
    peter@pureturbos.com
    peter@protuningfreaks.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I read through it, and though I have NCS expert installed and have toyed with it some, I've not actually done any coding.

I found this: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1553779-NCS-Dummy-Taking-the-expert-out-of-NCS-Expert

But what I dont fully understand, but seem to have pieced together is, do you use NCS expert to pull a trace of the module you mention in your link (DSC_84.C04) and then modify it using NCS dummy and take the trace file it makes and then use that in NCS expert to code it?

Thanks, just trying to piece together exactly how to do this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I did deactivate E-LSD in DSC module through E-SYS 20 minutes ago on my F-series N55. Will see tomorrow if I notice any difference!
    peter@pureturbos.eu
    peter@pureturbos.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Curious to hear feedback from those who have an LSD and only disable the e-diff. Any possible benefits for drag / roll racing?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jyamona@motiv Click here to enlarge
    Curious to hear feedback from those who have an LSD and only disable the e-diff. Any possible benefits for drag / roll racing?
    I will let you know Click here to enlarge I have quaife LSD and disabled the E-Diff.
    peter@pureturbos.eu
    peter@pureturbos.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I never noticed the e-diff working after I installed my wavetrac.
    Before I could definitely feel it. Especially on fast sweeping turns, you could feel it grabbing the inside wheel.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by shushikiary Click here to enlarge
    I read through it, and though I have NCS expert installed and have toyed with it some, I've not actually done any coding.

I found this: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1553779-NCS-Dummy-Taking-the-expert-out-of-NCS-Expert

But what I dont fully understand, but seem to have pieced together is, do you use NCS expert to pull a trace of the module you mention in your link (DSC_84.C04) and then modify it using NCS dummy and take the trace file it makes and then use that in NCS expert to code it?

Thanks, just trying to piece together exactly how to do this.
    I use NCS Expert to pull the trace. Then I load it into NCS Dummy for easy translations and to view the data and check out the different options. I then manually edit the TRC file in a text editor with the values I want, and then push that file back to the car with NCS Expert.

I never noticed the e-diff working after I installed my wavetrac.
    Before I could definitely feel it. Especially on fast sweeping turns, you could feel it grabbing the inside wheel.
    Yes, turn 1 at Mid Ohio (90-100mph sweeper) is an obvious area where I can feel the benefit of the LSD coded off. The car is more throttle adjustable for sure. Also check if your car has Performance Control, because this will perform corner braking too.

[Curious to hear feedback from those who have an LSD and only disable the e-diff. Any possible benefits for drag / roll racing
    I have AWD so I have no clue about in a straight line. All of my testing is on the road course. I think there would probably be less of a difference in a straight line but it might still help a bit maybe with your 60ft time in drag if you have a LSD.

Implemented some of these changes on my 535xiT (DD); disabling the HBA makes it soooo much easier to modulate the brakes and make the transition from trail braking to on-throttle. No doubt I can drive the car much smoother now.
    Glad to hear it, that was my opinion of disabling HBA as well. The brake pedal really feels mechanical for once instead of electronic. Also check if your car has a value related to brake smoothing - I need to update the guide, I forgot about this. N54 335 xdrive has a brake smoothing feature at the end of stops that is pretty bad.
    N55 AWD World Record: X1 35i 11.930@116mph

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by paradoxical3 Click here to enlarge
    Also check if your car has a value related to brake smoothing - I need to update the guide, I forgot about this. N54 335 xdrive has a brake smoothing feature at the end of stops that is pretty bad.
    Is this the same as the 'Soft Stop' feature that Continental/BMW touted with the MK60E5 DSC system? I'll look for it, thanks.

From page 8 of BMW's E90 Dynamic Driving Systems (link):

Soft Stop
    Soft stop prevents a “jerky” stop causing the occupants to "lurch" forward, when braking
    the vehicle to a standstill.
    Activation of function:
    • Light brake application (<25 bar) under constant pressure
    • Road speed (under 5 km/h)
    The soft stop function reduces the braking pressure at the rear axle just prior to the vehicle
    reaching a complete stop in order to reduce “jerking/jolt” effect normally encountered
    when reaching a standstill. The DSC system calculates the moment that standstill can be
    expected based on the current road speed plus rate of deceleration and reduces braking
    pressure accordingly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've always wondered if the e-diff was impeding the action of my quaife lsd or what effect it had....do all e9x cars come with the e- diff standard, even the ' 07 models?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nikitino25 Click here to enlarge
    I've always wondered if the e-diff was impeding the action of my quaife lsd or what effect it had....do all e9x cars come with the e- diff standard, even the ' 07 models?
    No, I don't believe the e-diff feature was added until ~2009.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    +1. I only see it working in the snow, but with the LSD routing power to the wheel with most traction, the e-diff and LSD are technically fighting eachother at that point. I could see disabling it being good for hard cornering and Auto-X.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    +1. I only see it working in the snow, but with the LSD routing power to the wheel with most traction, the e-diff and LSD are technically fighting eachother at that point. I could see disabling it being good for hard cornering and Auto-X.
    That was my thought as well, e-diff and LSD fighting each other. But my '07 does not have e-diff? Can anyone say for sure what MY it was added? Option or standard?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nikitino25 Click here to enlarge
    That was my thought as well, e-diff and LSD fighting each other. But my '07 does not have e-diff? Can anyone say for sure what MY it was added? Option or standard?
    It was added in late MY 07 I believe. If you read out your DSC module with NCS Expert you can find out if you have it and if it's active or if you've ever had that module updated you'll have it. It was a software based upgrade (or downgrade depending how you look at it) and standard.
    2013 335is BQ Tuning

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast