Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

BMW's F80 M3 and F82 M4 Competition Package bumps S55 output to '444' horsepower for $5500

A very nice cash grab on the part of BMW here fitting the F80 M3 or F82 M4 with different software for a modest power boost. The Competition Package increases the output of the S55 3.0 liter turbocharged motor to 444 horsepower from 425 horsepower.

Click here to enlarge

As you likely already know the S55 engine is underrated quite a bit so the increase in power here is likely 20 at the wheels putting the motor in the ~440 whp range stock. This of course will still be less power than the M4 GTS at 493 crank horsepower which we expect to be in the upper 400's to the wheels.

It is not just a power gain from new software but the $5500 Competition Package also adds new suspension pieces, a revised differential, 20 inch wheels, and new tires. They at least give you more than just new software.

The price drops to $5000 for the M4 convertible due to it not getting the new seats the coupe and sedan do.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

New Competition Package Amps Up The BMW M3 And M4.

Woodcliff Lake, N.J.: January 13, 2016 6:00 pm EST...The BMW M3 Sedan, M4 Coupe and M4 Convertible are already regarded as the perfect combination of high-performance sports car engineering with unrestricted everyday utility. From spring 2016, all three body styles will be available with a special Competition Package from BMW M GmbH that combines added sporty personality with enhanced dynamics. As well as extensive handling upgrades, the Competition Package also comes with additional equipment features and a hike in power that takes output to 444 hp.

The extra power means improved performance. The BMW M3 Sedan and M4 Coupe with optional 7-speed M Double Clutch Transmission (M-DCT) sprint from 0 to 60 mph in just 3.8 seconds (without Competition Package: 3.9 sec.), while the BMW M4 Convertible reaches the same speed in 4.1 seconds (without Competition Package: 4.2 sec). The sprint time for models with the standard 6-speed manual transmission is likewise 0.1 seconds faster in all cases than without the package.

The Competition Package includes Adaptive M Suspension, which has been extensively tuned to the enhanced performance and handling, and which features new springs, dampers and anti-roll bars, along with reconfigured driving modes (Comfort, Sport and Sport+). The standard Active M Differential on the rear axle and DSC Dynamic Stability Control have likewise been configured to match the upgraded dynamics. Forged, machine-polished, weight-and rigidity-optimized, multi-spoke 20-inch M alloy wheels (front 9J ×20; rear10 J ×20) with mixed tires sizes (front: 265/30 R20, rear: 285/30 R20) complete the list of chassis upgrades.

For the BMW M3 and BMW M4 Coupe, the Competition Package includes special lightweight M sports seats that combine additional support on the track with exceptional comfort on the street. Seatbelts with woven-in BMW M stripes cap off an extremely sporty interior ambience.

Eye-catching exterior highlights of the Competition Package include the M sports exhaust system with black chrome tailpipes. Even more than its good looks, the most distinctive feature of the M sports exhaust system is its potent sound, which brings added emotional resonance to the driving experience. The starting rumble and the distinctive burble on over run never fail to get under the skin of dedicated drivers time and again.

The Competition Package for the BMW M3 and M4 is topped off by extended BMW Individual high-gloss Shadow Line exterior trim. In additional to the already standard high-gloss Black finish on the the side window trim, window recess finishers and exterior mirror frames and bases, the Competition Package also includes high-gloss Black finish on the BMW kidney grille, the side gills and the model badge on the tail.

The Competition Package will be offered for a retail price of $5,500 on the M3 Sedan and Coupe and the $5,000 on the M4 Convertible.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    A very nice option as all the upgraded suspension components are matched with revised programming/tuning of the EDC dampers to work together as a superior unit. Also the even larger 20-inch wheels are supposedly lighter for their size hence add little to no unsprung weight to the car. Those wheels, upgraded tires and seats alone would cost the $5500 if one was going to try to purchase equivalent mods for their M4. I see this as a great value (and not a "cash grab"Click here to enlarge ) for many enthusiasts who don't want to go aftermarket for a similar all around upgrade to the standard cars' performance. (full warranty, financing advantages, convenience, etc.) Now, it'll be very interesting to see just *how much* better this package performs over the standard car on the track/road course in real-world testing. Knowning BMW M's division I wouldn't be surprised if the increase in performance was more than the sum of the parts on a race course.. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BMW M4 Power Click here to enlarge
    A very nice option as all the upgraded suspension components are matched with revised programming/tuning of the EDC dampers to work together as a superior unit. Also the even larger 20-inch wheels are supposedly lighter for their size hence add little to no unsprung weight to the car. Those wheels, upgraded tires and seats alone would cost the $5500 is one was going to try to purchase equivalent mods for their M4. I see this as a great value (and not a "cash grab"Click here to enlarge ) for many enthusiasts not trying to go aftermarket for a similar all around upgrade to the standard cars' performance. Now, it'll be very interesting to see just *how much* better this package performs over the standard car on the track/road course in real world testing. Knowning BMW M's division I wouldn't be surprised if the increase in performance was more than the sum of the parts on a race course.. Click here to enlarge
    It's better than just software alone for sure but do you think it is costing BMW a ton of money to make this?

Literally everything they have sitting around. Oh hey, let's load some software we had sitting around. Oh remember suspension upgrades we already tested? Let's add those in too.

Just so they don't feel ripped off let's give them rims we could already give them as an option.

It's a nice package. If they threw in the water injection it would be truly noteworthy.

Some would argue the M4 should have all of this stock already and that it addresses issues in the car that should not be there like the M5 Competition Package did.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It's better than just software alone for sure but do you think it is costing BMW a ton of money to make this?

Literally everything they have sitting around. Oh hey, let's load some software we had sitting around. Oh remember suspension upgrades we already tested? Let's add those in too.

Just so they don't feel ripped off let's give them rims we could already give them as an option.

It's a nice package. If they threw in the water injection it would be truly noteworthy.

Some would argue the M4 should have all of this stock already and that it addresses issues in the car that should not be there like the M5 Competition Package did.
    There's a lot of heresay in what you're suggesting. The suspension components are in fact heavier duty/superior ones to stock, whether they were just "sitting around" for BMW to not use on the standard car I don't buy. Assuming they WERE already engineered earlier for the car there's still a reason they didn't use them on the standard car which caters to the "average" enthusiast and not a more track oriented junky (like me Click here to enlarge ) Regardless, every single auto manufacturer on earth makes a profit off accessories and options, BMW's no different. However, it's really nice to see that the VALUE of this package exceeds many aftermarket options in getting the same level of mods if you were to buy the car first and then attempt equivalent upgrades, that's say a lot. Many auto manufacturers (benz comes to mind lol) slap a flash and a "s" designation and mark up the identical car by $10,000Click here to enlarge Also, I wouldn't be surprised if this "444HP" package dyno'ed a lot more than 19 more HP at the rear tires if u know I meanClick here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There's a lot of heresay in what you're suggesting. The suspension components are in fact heavier duty/superior ones to stock, whether they were just "sitting around" for BMW to not use on the standard car I don't buy. Assuming they WERE already engineered earlier for the car there's still a reason they didn't use them on the standard car which caters to the "average" enthusiast and not a more track oriented junky (like me Click here to enlarge ) Regardless, every single auto manufacturer on earth makes a profit off accessories and options, BMW's no different. However, it's really nice to see that the VALUE of this package exceeds many aftermarket options in getting the same level of mods if you were to buy the car first and then attempt equivalent upgrades, that's say a lot. Many auto manufacturers (benz comes to mind lol) slap a flash and a "s" designation and mark up the identical car by $10,000Click here to enlarge Also, I wouldn't be surprised if this "444HP" package dyno'ed a lot more than 19 more HP at the rear tires if u know I meanClick here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
    It's usually money as to why BMW doesn't do things or arrogance. Some felt the M5 Competition Package addressed mistakes in the F10 M5.

Is the M3/M4 too tail happy in stock form? Is that why it loses around the track when it shouldn't to competition?

It costs BMW a lot less to do this than it would anyone in the aftermarket. No surprise there.

The package is certainly appreciated. Personally, I'd appreciate a more competent M3/M4 to begin with.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2455 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Also, I wouldn't be surprised if this "444HP" package dyno'ed a lot more than 19 more HP at the rear tires if u know I mean
    Why? The M5 Competition Package already sets a precedent. They aren't going to encroach on the GTS.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    omg.....those seats!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by zeenon53 Click here to enlarge
    omg.....those seats!
    Why didn't they offer this at the beginning of the 2016 model year!? Think about all the people who JUST ordered the 16' or already put their orders in only for this package to be available just after! I ordered and have a late 15' M4 with suspension upgrades a bit more extreme than whats offered here, but would of been pissed had I waited till this year to order a 16' only for this package to be offer a lil later in the same model year... :/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    M4, 444HP. I wonder what will this mean to BMW's Asian sales with rife Tetraphobia!

China etc has got to be a massive market. Could be a f*ck up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetraphobia

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    $5500 for a different diff, Wheels/tires, suspension, seats, and tuning sounds like a really good deal. Especially when its a BMW and retains its warranty and such.

Just to Compare.
    The 2016 mustang gt can get recaro cloth seats for $1600.

But the $2500 for the GT track pack is still the best deal I've ever seen.
    • Strut-tower Brace
    • Larger Radiator
    • Unique Chassis Tuning
    • Upsized Rear Sway Bar
    • Heavy-Duty Front Springs
    • K-Brace
    • Brembo™ 6-Piston Front Brake Calipers with Larger Rotors
    • 19 X 9-inch (F) 19” X9.5” (R)Ebony Black-Painted Aluminum Wheels (Summer Tires Only)
    • Unique Stability Control, EPAS & ABS Tuning
    • 3.73 TORSEN® Rear Axle
    • Gauge Pack (Oil Pressure and Vacuum)
    [COLOR=#666666][FONT=ford-light]• Spoiler Delete

So $4100 and you get cloth seat, diff, brakes, wheels/tires, and suspension...plus a few other items. No power bump, no leather seats on a mustang.
    2010|335i|LMB|E92|6MT|MSport|Logic7|335is Clutch|AE Performance|BMS|Inline Walbro|VRSF 7"|Inlets|
    1992|Pontiac Firebird|Mild 355ci|T56|
    2001|Chevrolet Camaro| T56 LS1| Bolt-ons| -Sold
    -I will look on your treasures, gypsy. Is this understood?-