Close

Page 3 of 215 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 5352
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    507
    Rep Points
    751.4
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    They're getting smarter.
    That is exactly what I wanted to say. WHY CAN'T I REP YOU DAMNIT
    We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    160
    Rep Points
    156.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Group.america Click here to enlarge
    Trump has no chance once it gets to the primaries and caucuses....
    Bet ya didn't think 8 months later that your initial response would be totally invalid lmao..

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    137,737
    Rep Points
    41,035.1
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    411


    Yes Reputation No

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    6,531
    Rep Points
    7,347.0
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    74


    Yes Reputation No
    So this Trump or Hillary Clinton.
    Tough choice.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    6,531
    Rep Points
    7,347.0
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    74


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BeastMode335i Click here to enlarge
    Bet ya didn't think 8 months later that your initial response would be totally invalid lmao..
    Seriously dude, change your avatar. Make your own.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pretty sure I am in Mexico
    Posts
    931
    Rep Points
    958.4
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by E90Company Click here to enlarge
    Well the USA isn't socialist for one... at least we weren't
    Well....there are the public schools.....fire departments........etc.
    Never thought I would see the day...
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Life is so much more fun with a nemesis. I miss Shiv. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    137,737
    Rep Points
    41,035.1
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    411


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forced Air Click here to enlarge
    Well....there are the public schools.....fire departments........etc.
    There are the private schools... and there are privatized services like security and oh jails.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pretty sure I am in Mexico
    Posts
    931
    Rep Points
    958.4
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    There are the private schools... and there are privatized services like security and oh jails.
    Not sure what your point is...?

    Clearly there are quite a few socialist things in this country that people seem to forget about.
    Never thought I would see the day...
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Life is so much more fun with a nemesis. I miss Shiv. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    2,415
    Rep Points
    2,688.3
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Yes Reputation No
    Im writing Bernie on the ballot even if he doesn't win the primaries lol. Click here to enlarge
    Cadillac CTS-V - 6MT - Lingenfelter upper pulley, Airaid CF Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, fluidyne H/X

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    137,737
    Rep Points
    41,035.1
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    411


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forced Air Click here to enlarge
    Not sure what your point is...?

    Clearly there are quite a few socialist things in this country that people seem to forget about.
    My point is those things are higher quality than the government offerings.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pretty sure I am in Mexico
    Posts
    931
    Rep Points
    958.4
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    My point is those things are higher quality than the government offerings.
    Ah....agree...for some examples. But it depends which and where you are talking about. There are many public systems in certain states that are superior.

    And when it comes to schools, there are definitely better private offerings when compared to public almost everywhere. But there are also far worse private offerings in those same places.
    Never thought I would see the day...
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Life is so much more fun with a nemesis. I miss Shiv. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    137,737
    Rep Points
    41,035.1
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    411


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forced Air Click here to enlarge
    There are many public systems in certain states that are superior.
    Which ones?

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forced Air Click here to enlarge
    But there are also far worse private offerings in those same places.
    Definitely. But at least you get to choose when it comes to private offerings.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    435
    Rep Points
    678.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    One of the biggest problems with public schools is lack of funding. We spend half of our discretionary budget on the military, but continue to make cuts to education. And yet, people are shocked by the dumbing down of our youth..
    Also, whenever someone mentions privately owned jails, I cringe.
    The Interstate highway system, national parks, social security, and medicaid are more examples of social programs.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    137,737
    Rep Points
    41,035.1
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    411


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Gmanuel11 Click here to enlarge
    One of the biggest problems with public schools is lack of funding. We spend half of our discretionary budget on the military, but continue to make cuts to education. And yet, people are shocked by the dumbing down of our youth..
    I really don't think throwing more money at public schools is the answer and secondly why should anyone paying for a private school have to pay for public education? Why the hell should I have to educate other people's kids?

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Gmanuel11 Click here to enlarge
    Also, whenever someone mentions privately owned jails, I cringe.
    Me too. Talk about an awesome business though.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Gmanuel11 Click here to enlarge
    The Interstate highway system, national parks, social security, and medicaid are more examples of social programs.
    Sure. But would a public or private company be more efficient in building roads, parks, etc.? Because it seems government agencies try to inflate budgets so they can get a higher budget the next year and it just keeps going.

    I think the system is broken personally but whatever.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    435
    Rep Points
    678.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I really don't think throwing more money at public schools is the answer and secondly why should anyone paying for a private school have to pay for public education? Why the hell should I have to educate other people's kids?



    Me too. Talk about an awesome business though.



    Sure. But would a public or private company be more efficient in building roads, parks, etc.? Because it seems government agencies try to inflate budgets so they can get a higher budget the next year and it just keeps going.

    I think the system is broken personally but whatever.
    When the extra budget can pay for much needed textbooks, or for supplies that teachers normally have to pay for themselves, it certainly would help. Also, increasing salaries for teachers is something that I think is important. They're teaching our future, they deserve to be compensated accordingly.
    You could use the "why should I have to pay for x" argument for anything, for instance: "I don't use the fire department, why should I have to pay to put another person's burning house out?" Or another is, "I haven't called the police, why should I have to pay for someone else to have the police help them?" Personally, I think if your kids are private schooled, you should be able to pay less in taxes. Not exempt from that portion of the taxes, but a good discount. Think of it as an investment in the future workforce, kind of like how paying for your child's private education is an investment in their future. I'm fairly sure a public figure has said this, but when we invest in the education of our youth, we all benefit.

    There's toll roads, but you have to pay for those each and every time you use them, and they aren't cheap. That's what you're looking at if you privatize construction of roads. So if you're poor/working class, you better live damn close to your job, or you're going to be spending all your hard earned money on getting to and from work. The main reason toll roads are nicer is because they're less congested, and they're less congested because they're a luxury. A balance of private and publicly funded infrastructure is critical to providing equal opportunity, and personal liberty for all.
    I'm with you on the system being broken, I don't see how anyone could deny that. A contributing factor for inflating budgets is corruption, but anyone who thinks privatizing will reduce corruption needs to have their head checked. Not saying you think that, just saying private orgs are generally even more corrupt than the government (as hard to believe as that may be).

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    137,737
    Rep Points
    41,035.1
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    411


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Gmanuel11 Click here to enlarge
    When the extra budget can pay for much needed textbooks, or for supplies that teachers normally have to pay for themselves, it certainly would help.
    I can help but property taxes are already a $#@! in higher income areas. So what do you want to do? Tax people even more? Punish them for being successful enough to own property in areas that can fund good schools?

    Everyone can't have everything.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Gmanuel11 Click here to enlarge
    Also, increasing salaries for teachers is something that I think is important.
    I don't think it's important at all.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Gmanuel11 Click here to enlarge
    They're teaching our future, they deserve to be compensated accordingly.
    They should be compensated based on performance. All teachers are not equal. Students are graded, right? Grade the teachers and adjust their salary based on their grades.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Gmanuel11 Click here to enlarge
    There's toll roads, but you have to pay for those each and every time you use them, and they aren't cheap. That's what you're looking at if you privatize construction of roads.
    I prefer taking the toll roads. Less people, better upkeep, and I get to my destination much quicker.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Gmanuel11 Click here to enlarge
    So if you're poor/working class, you better live damn close to your job, or you're going to be spending all your hard earned money on getting to and from work.
    Welcome to life.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Gmanuel11 Click here to enlarge
    I'm with you on the system being broken, I don't see how anyone could deny that. A contributing factor for inflating budgets is corruption, but anyone who thinks privatizing will reduce corruption needs to have their head checked. Not saying you think that, just saying private orgs are generally even more corrupt than the government (as hard to believe as that may be).
    I'm with you there I just think the whole thing is a big mess and it won't be solved by throwing more money at it.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    435
    Rep Points
    678.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I can help but property taxes are already a $#@! in higher income areas. So what do you want to do? Tax people even more? Punish them for being successful enough to own property in areas that can fund good schools?

    Everyone can't have everything.



    I don't think it's important at all.



    They should be compensated based on performance. All teachers are not equal. Students are graded, right? Grade the teachers and adjust their salary based on their grades.



    I prefer taking the toll roads. Less people, better upkeep, and I get to my destination much quicker.



    Welcome to life.



    I'm with you there I just think the whole thing is a big mess and it won't be solved by throwing more money at it.
    I didn't say I wanted to increase taxes. I want to invest more in education; that can be done without increasing taxes, if you divert funding from the 600 billion dollar discretionary military budget. That 600 billion doesn't include benefits for vets. Veterans benefits are in a completely separate category, that deserves to have more invested as well, IMO. If property taxes are so high, and you reap no benefit from them, why don't you move? Because it's a nicer area, with lower crime rates, etc., right? School districts determine the tax rate that you pay for education, and those tax dollars go only to those schools in your district.

    I don't understand how helping schools in low income areas with funding is punishing the wealthy, who already have good schools? Are LA and other cali cities one school district cities?

    The salary of most of the teachers I've spoken with, ranges from 30-35k. I'm not implying that EVERY teacher deserves a raise, I'm simply stating that school districts should at least have the ability to pay teachers more, when they do a good job. I was lucky, and only ever had a couple bad teachers, so that's why I generalized (the rockwall school district is one of the more wealthy isd's, in the north texas area).

    What happens when we completely privatize roads? The toll roads crowd up, and the congestion causes them to fall apart, all because there's now no "free" alternative. You illustrate my point perfectly, you and I like taking toll roads, and we can afford the luxury. What do people who can't afford toll roads do to get to work? Walking could work in cities like New York, but not those like Dallas, or small towns, where things are spread out. Mass transit is socialism, remember, so that's out, and besides, all but the trains would be at the mercy of the toll roads. I've used mass transit before, and doing so every day of the week would end up costing far more than it does to own a vehicle, in Dallas. Paying the toll means those middle to low income households have far less money to pay for necessities, let alone savings. And again, many cities and towns have housing and commercial areas separated. What little housing there is near the commercial areas is incredibly expensive, locking those lower income individuals out of the area. What we would have is a poverty trap. Those who needed to live close to work, couldn't, because the housing would be too expensive. If they can't afford the costs of privatized transportation infrastructure, they can't afford higher education to qualify for higher paying jobs, and they can't work to get experience (the only other avenue of gaining qualifications necessary for higher paying jobs), because they can't afford to get to work. So how are the lower income workers supposed to provide for themselves and their families? Also, what happens when middle class families want to go on vacation somewhere? The only option is to fly, or go by train, and trains suck in the U.S. Toll roads are great, but only in moderation, kind of like socialism Click here to enlarge The argument to live in a city where everything is within walking distance would mean the crowding in those cities would skyrocket.

    I could say more, but I'm even starting to bore myself. TLDR: Even if we don't increase education spending, we damn sure can't afford to cut it any more than we already have. Full disclosure: I live in a state with one of the worst public education systems, in the U.S. The grammatical errors I've undoubtedly made in this post testify to that, although I am typing on a phone.
    Last edited by Gmanuel11; 03-24-2016 at 08:19 PM.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    137,737
    Rep Points
    41,035.1
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    411


    Yes Reputation No
    ^ Come on man, paragraphs.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    435
    Rep Points
    678.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    ^ Come on man, paragraphs.
    Haha I know, I know, I'll go in and put a line between each paragraph. This is something that's very big for me, if it wasn't obvious. Teach a man to fish and whatnot.
    Last edited by Gmanuel11; 03-24-2016 at 08:25 PM.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,055
    Rep Points
    863.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    9


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    I love it.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    160
    Rep Points
    156.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    Seriously dude, change your avatar. Make your own.
    I found it on Google, and had you PM'd me like a grown up and not an upset 13 year old I probably would have given a thought to it, but nah I'm good Click here to enlarge

    Thanks for the negative rep btw, that's mature..

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pretty sure I am in Mexico
    Posts
    931
    Rep Points
    958.4
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Which ones?.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Gmanuel11 Click here to enlarge
    One of the biggest problems with public schools is lack of funding. We spend half of our discretionary budget on the military, but continue to make cuts to education. And yet, people are shocked by the dumbing down of our youth..
    Also, whenever someone mentions privately owned jails, I cringe.
    The Interstate highway system, national parks, social security, and medicaid are more examples of social programs.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I really don't think throwing more money at public schools is the answer and secondly why should anyone paying for a private school have to pay for public education? Why the hell should I have to educate other people's kids?



    Me too. Talk about an awesome business though.



    Sure. But would a public or private company be more efficient in building roads, parks, etc.? Because it seems government agencies try to inflate budgets so they can get a higher budget the next year and it just keeps going.

    I think the system is broken personally but whatever.
    I was thinking of prisons specifically too, but there are other examples.

    As far as educating other kids it improves the economy long run which benefits you and yours.

    As for military budgeting...I have some experience there. No one inflates there spending. ..but we are very good at convincing ourselves we need the latest and greatest. TheRe is also a use it or lose it thought process among many. Usually not wasteful...but perhaps not entirely necessary spending.
    Never thought I would see the day...
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Life is so much more fun with a nemesis. I miss Shiv. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    137,737
    Rep Points
    41,035.1
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    411


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forced Air Click here to enlarge
    As far as educating other kids it improves the economy long run which benefits you and yours.
    How does it benefit the economy? You want a worker class with the way things are set, right? Everyone can't go to college and expect college job level compensation. Who the hell is going to flip the burgers? That's partially why I think the education cost keeps going up.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forced Air Click here to enlarge
    As for military budgeting...I have some experience there. No one inflates there spending. ..but we are very good at convincing ourselves we need the latest and greatest. TheRe is also a use it or lose it thought process among many. Usually not wasteful...but perhaps not entirely necessary spending.
    Nobody in the military inflates their spending? Are you kidding me? What project doesn't run over budget?

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    2,415
    Rep Points
    2,688.3
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Everyone can't go to college and expect college job level compensation. Who the hell is going to flip the burgers?
    Robots will. Not even joking. The singularity will come sooner or later. Some say 30 years until robots and automation can do any/every human job.
    Cadillac CTS-V - 6MT - Lingenfelter upper pulley, Airaid CF Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, fluidyne H/X

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    435
    Rep Points
    678.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    How does it benefit the economy? You want a worker class with the way things are set, right? Everyone can't go to college and expect college job level compensation. Who the hell is going to flip the burgers? That's partially why I think the education cost keeps going up.



    Nobody in the military inflates their spending? Are you kidding me? What project doesn't run over budget?
    Just to be clear, I wasn't talking about college, that's a completely different ballgame. I'm just talking about improving schools up to the high school level. I'm not against trying to make tuition free, but there should be stipulations attached, such as having to graduate within 4 calendar years, with a decent gpa. If you don't meet those requirements, you have to pay back what you borrowed, but there's very little to no interest on that debt. That's the only way I'd vote to make tuition free (bernie's plan to use a tax on wall street speculation to fund it, isn't completely insane, but I'm not sure on the figures).
    The people who can flip the burgers are kids, who either don't want to go to college, or are currently attending college, or recent immigrants. That's really who those jobs are intended for, is kids or workers with no education or experience that qualifies them for better employment.

Page 3 of 215 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •