Close

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ATP Click here to enlarge
    I don't smoke currently but would like to so take my input with a grain of salt here. I have a badass Weber (can put in chips and smoke them for flavor) as well but I still want a smoker. The smoker will compliment the grill. You (typically) wouldn't use the smoker for burgers, steak, and other tender meats. You smoke ribs, brisket, chicken, turkey, etc. You will get a lot more flavor and the low and slow approach will really tenderize the tougher meats. When you look at the red meats posted by the guys in here you can see a ring around the outside of the meats, that's the smoke ring. You will never get that with propane and there is a lot of flavor there. Smoking is to a charcoal grill as a charcoal grill is to propane/natural gas. More effort but it pays off with better flavors. There is a reason all true BBQ is made on a smoker.

Now, with all of that said, what are people's opinions on the automatic pellet smokers?
    This is the type of post I was looking for. Thanks.

Smoking ribs sure sounds enticing...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 3000gt MR Click here to enlarge
    Good point. My GF cooks in the kitchen so when shes not cooking then i am on the grill. So i guess i just dont see a need for a propane grill for my self.
    The hardest part of this advice is getting a girlfriend who likes being in the kitchen.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If anyone is interested, here is my dry rub recipe - I use this on brisket, ribs and pulled chuck roast. I adapted it from a recipe I found online:

• 1/4 Cup dark brown sugar
    • 1/2 Cup white sugar
    • 1/2 Cup smoked paprika (Costco has a great one)
    • 1/3 Cup garlic salt
    • Generous 1/3 Cup kosher salt
    • 1 Tbsp chili powder
    • 1 tsp oregano
    • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
    • 2 tsp ground cumin
    • 1 tsp black pepper
    • 1 Tbsp Celery Salt optional - dial salt down by same

Mix it all together and apply it generously to the meat. Wrap the meat in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by richpike Click here to enlarge
    I guess I differ on this. My recommendation for first time smokers is to get something like a Traeger (pellet smoker). The ease of use is amazing and I've seen excellent results from them. The biggest drawback IMHO is the cost, but for someone who wants to get in to smoking but doesn't want to do the trial and error of running a wood/charcoal one, it is pretty tough to beat.

Im OCD enough that I love the challenge and subtle differences you can get with a wood/charcoal smoker. Love my Weber Smokey Mountain and I'm good enough now I can set it and forget it, but that took a lot of effort to get there. Most folks just want to play and a pellet is great for that. Even an electric smoker can produce good results for little effort.

-Rich
    From most of what i know the Pellets are mainly chemical based flavoring which im not excited about. Sure its easy, consistent and flavorful but there is a reason why ALL good BBQ restaurants dont use them. I like the challenge myself, Its just something to do that involves drinking beer.

That's kickass. I make my own rubs too, but not with items from my garden. You're hardcore!

And any issues smoking salmon? My wife loves smoked salmon, but I've heard horror stories of the fish oils tainting smokers. Some people have two smokers - one for fish and one for meats. I may need to just bite the bullet and do it...

-Rich
    Sweet, we'll have to share recipes! The garden is only running at like 10% right now lol its been to hot here for anything to grow besides tomatoes. Come fall ill have more than i know what to do with. I also make my own hot, pizza and marinara sauces.

Fish can be pretty tough to smoke because it doesnt like to be cooked to cool and slow. You can try smoking it around 275-300. On cedar i cook it at 350 for 10-15 minutes depending on size. I've never had it do anything grill wise. I probably only cook 1 pound of fish to every 10-15 pounds of chicken or pork. The nice thing about BGE or Vision is you can just crank it up to 500-600 and burn off everything once your done cooking.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The hardest part of this advice is getting a girlfriend who likes being in the kitchen.
    lol mine went to culinary school and has managed just about every high end restaurant here in Sav. If she doesnt cook she'll bring me home something from her work which is usually something phenomenal
    Formerly 3000GT MR

Have a single turbo and/or tired of burning up O2 sensors? Ask me about the new ADV retro kits!
    Please Email me at ChrisKinnovations@gmail.com in lieu of PM's for fastest response on any topics.

Click here to enlarge
    335i
    E92 2010
    Mods: VM 6466 top mount, VRSF IC, twin disk, and lots more!
    335i VFF900 E90 2009 RIP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If anyone is interested, here is my dry rub recipe - I use this on brisket, ribs and pulled chuck roast. I adapted it from a recipe I found online:

• 1/4 Cup dark brown sugar
    • 1/2 Cup white sugar
    • 1/2 Cup smoked paprika (Costco has a great one)
    • 1/3 Cup garlic salt
    • Generous 1/3 Cup kosher salt
    • 1 Tbsp chili powder
    • 1 tsp oregano
    • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
    • 2 tsp ground cumin
    • 1 tsp black pepper
    • 1 Tbsp Celery Salt optional - dial salt down by same

Mix it all together and apply it generously to the meat. Wrap the meat in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

-Rich
    Ah nice. Mine for pulled pork is a sweet and spicy mix. The rub is really hot but once mixed in when the meat is pulled its a great flavor. I also use a honey and dijon mix to put on the pork before the rub. It makes smoking it harder thats why i do longer smokes than most to get that flavor in
    Formerly 3000GT MR

Have a single turbo and/or tired of burning up O2 sensors? Ask me about the new ADV retro kits!
    Please Email me at ChrisKinnovations@gmail.com in lieu of PM's for fastest response on any topics.

Click here to enlarge
    335i
    E92 2010
    335i VFF900 E90 2009 RIP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    1/4 cup paprika
    2 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
    1 tablespoon grain sugar
    2 tablespoons sea salt
    2 tablespoons garlic powder
    1 tablespoon fresh-ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    1 tablespoon onion powder
    1 tablespoon chipotle chili pepper
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 1/2 teaspoons mustard powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed

This is my base. I add peppers and herbs to my liking. This is also my testing quantity. I usually make 4-6 cups at a time
    Formerly 3000GT MR

Click here to enlarge
    335i
    E92 2010
    335i VFF900 E90 2009 RIP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is the type of post I was looking for. Thanks.

Smoking ribs sure sounds enticing...

BGE and Vision grills aren't just smokers they are grills first, smokers second. I use mine all the time to flip burgers and sear steak. The only problem is usually real estate. Although mine came with an upper rack i have really only used that to smoke cheese. When i cook burgers for a larger group sometimes i wish i had a big propane grill for the space.
    Formerly 3000GT MR

Click here to enlarge
    335i
    E92 2010
    335i VFF900 E90 2009 RIP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    1/4 cup paprika
    1 tablespoon grain sugar
    2 tablespoons sea salt
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    2 teaspoons ground cumin

This is my base. I add peppers and herbs to my liking. This is also my testing quantity. I usually make 4-6 cups at a time
    Good stuff man. I'm intrigued by the cinnamon. Might have to give that a shot!

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    lol mine went to culinary school and has managed just about every high end restaurant here in Sav. If she doesnt cook she'll bring me home something from her work which is usually something phenomenal
    That's awesome. Mine doesn't exist.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Good stuff man. I'm intrigued by the cinnamon. Might have to give that a shot!

-Rich
    use small amounts. When i increase the quantity of everything to make a larger batch i never use the equaled amount of cinnamon. I usually end up with just a little less
    Formerly 3000GT MR

Click here to enlarge
    335i
    E92 2010
    335i VFF900 E90 2009 RIP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thought some of you guys might like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/160...6WBP6WY3ON2ST6

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is the bible as far as i am concerned. Tons of great info on this site. http://amazingribs.com/
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So I made country style pork ribs last night with a rub made by a family member. Cooked on indirect heat in the propane grill with a smoker box filled with Hickory as that is all I had around. Did those with grilled asparagus marinaded in balsamic and then potatoes with onion slices and garlic salt. Came out great. I should have taken a picture.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge
    Boston butt going on, time to drink, mop some sauce and chill for 8 hours
    2008 135i, Satin Metalic Blue on Black , JB4 G5 ISO W/ Blutooth connect kit, DCI, CP-E DP's and mid, AA Axel back, 1 Gal trunk mount meth.
    2007 HD Road Glide
    My Soundcloud, Give it a shot: https://soundcloud.com/dj-a-r-f

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FRD135i Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Boston butt going on, time to drink, mop some sauce and chill for 8 hours
    That looks awesome...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That looks awesome...
    You should get a smoker.

After last weekend I am HOOKED. I'm going to leave the webber smokey mountain at the lake house and buy a different smoker for the house. It's not that I don't like it, I just need to have a smoker up at the lake now.

I'm trying to decide what to get for the house. I'm not sure if I should go for an Egg style, vertical, or horizontal. I'm leaning towards a horizontal smoker but still undecided. I need to make a decision soon as it is foosball season.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    341 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    1/4 cup paprika
    1 tablespoon grain sugar
    2 tablespoons sea salt
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    2 teaspoons ground cumin

Thanks for recipe, I will give it a shot. I have my own but I always like to try new things. I did a rack of ribs on Monday.

I do a few things for them. I put a small amount of rub on the meat, rubbed in with a decent amount of force. I transfer to a hotel pan, and I marinate overnight in bottle of Guiness, and one bottle of a beer of my choosing, this time it was Blue moon White IPA. When they come out in the morning before they are put on the smoke, I add more rub.

I then remove the ribs from the pan, and transfer that marinading liquid to a sauce pan, and use that as my base for the days BBQ sauce, I add my normal sauce ingredients to that, and set it on the lowest setting, and I allow that simmer the full time the meat is smoking. This gets you an intensely flavorful sauce that mimics what you have done to the meat for this smoke.

Another thing I do that many people do not. I take my corn, and leave the husk on, I put it on the bottom rack of the smoker, and allow it to smoke with the meat for the full term. You have to flip the corn at least once, or you will scorch the bottom side, and it will harden, but if you flip it. You get perfectly tender corn with a nice crunch, and am amazing smoky flavor.

Some people do not use the water pan, I use mine, but do not use water. I also transfer some of the meat marinade, and another bottle each of the beer I used, and add that to the water pan, this adds more of the marinade, and beer flavor to the corn, and meat as it smokes. I like to do my meats at least 6 hours at around 200-225. They usually come out pretty good. I usually use a mixture of Cherry, Apple, and Mesquite for my wood.

Just a little look into my normal smoking method.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tony@VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for recipe, I will give it a shot. I have my own but I always like to try new things. I did a rack of ribs on Monday.

I do a few things for them. I put a small amount of rub on the meat, rubbed in with a decent amount of force. I transfer to a hotel pan, and I marinate overnight in bottle of Guiness, and one bottle of a beer of my choosing, this time it was Blue moon White IPA. When they come out in the morning before they are put on the smoke, I add more rub.

I then remove the ribs from the pan, and transfer that marinading liquid to a sauce pan, and use that as my base for the days BBQ sauce, I add my normal sauce ingredients to that, and set it on the lowest setting, and I allow that simmer the full time the meat is smoking. This gets you an intensely flavorful sauce that mimics what you have done to the meat for this smoke.

Another thing I do that many people do not. I take my corn, and leave the husk on, I put it on the bottom rack of the smoker, and allow it to smoke with the meat for the full term. You have to flip the corn at least once, or you will scorch the bottom side, and it will harden, but if you flip it. You get perfectly tender corn with a nice crunch, and am amazing smoky flavor.

Some people do not use the water pan, I use mine, but do not use water. I also transfer some of the meat marinade, and another bottle each of the beer I used, and add that to the water pan, this adds more of the marinade, and beer flavor to the corn, and meat as it smokes. I like to do my meats at least 6 hours at around 200-225. They usually come out pretty good. I usually use a mixture of Cherry, Apple, and Mesquite for my wood.

@Sticky. This is why you should smoke things. You can do it however you want, follow a recipe, make up your own, etc and unless you cook it too long/too high and it basically comes out delicious.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tony@VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge

Damn thats a very interesting process. I may have to give that a shot. I typically use honey or mustard as a glaze before i pack it with rub. I use it sparingly, enough to hold moisture but not enough to prevent the smoke from getting in. My taste buds are everywhere so i get on random kicks where i do glazed ribs over my normal rub only. I love Rendezvous BBQ sauce, you can now buy it in stores. If you ever go to Memphis you need to check out Rendezvous BBQ. Their sauce is tricky, out of the bottle it doesnt taste like much more than a standard tomato based BBQ sauce. Once you cook with it it traps and holds smoke and meat flavoring like non-other. You wont believe it came out of the same bottle.
    Formerly 3000GT MR

Click here to enlarge
    335i
    E92 2010
    335i VFF900 E90 2009 RIP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Probably a stupid question but, 14.5"/18" WSM or a $100 Brinkman Offset for a noob smoker?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Probably a stupid question but, 14.5"/18" WSM or a $100 Brinkman Offset for a noob smoker?
    I got the 18'' WSM and it's simple and easy to use. I wouldn't go smaller that is for sure, looking back I should have gotten the 22 but they were out of stock anyways. I looked at the cheap offset smokers at home depot and their quality was a bit low. Seemed like cheap sheet metal not that the WSM is super amazing but I think it will last longer. If you are just getting into it either would be a good choice I think. As I have the WSM I would recommend that as my 1st weekend smoking went very smoothly with it. All food came out great.

http://barbecuebible.com/2014/07/25/...arrel-smokers/

I like this website and their reviews: http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_gu...0_smokers.html

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge
    Hooked these little guys up. Quick 2 hour work for a week of sammies
    2008 135i, Satin Metalic Blue on Black , JB4 G5 ISO W/ Blutooth connect kit, DCI, CP-E DP's and mid, AA Axel back, 1 Gal trunk mount meth.
    2007 HD Road Glide
    My Soundcloud, Give it a shot: https://soundcloud.com/dj-a-r-f

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    I got the 18'' WSM and it's simple and easy to use. I wouldn't go smaller that is for sure, looking back I should have gotten the 22 but they were out of stock anyways. I looked at the cheap offset smokers at home depot and their quality was a bit low. Seemed like cheap sheet metal not that the WSM is super amazing but I think it will last longer. If you are just getting into it either would be a good choice I think. As I have the WSM I would recommend that as my 1st weekend smoking went very smoothly with it. All food came out great.

http://barbecuebible.com/2014/07/25/...arrel-smokers/

I like this website and their reviews: http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_gu...0_smokers.html
    Well, I ended up picking up the 18" WSM. Smoked a few times on it but forgot to post up so here is a bit of a dump.

Arrived from Amazon:

Click here to enlarge

Some accessories and smoke wood:

Click here to enlarge

First smoked racks of ribs:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

I smoked a second rack I didn't take pictures of. First rack was smoked with some hickory. The second set had no smoke wood, only charcoal. Both were good but I need to find a middle ground between the two and smoke the next rack with a bit less hickory in the ring.

Next up was some Brisket:

Click here to enlarge

All trimmed, rubbed, and ready for the smoker:

Click here to enlarge

After 19 hours on the smoker:

Click here to enlarge

Solid bark on the Brisket:

Click here to enlarge

I also decided to build a cart for it, still need to finish the siding and the doors but in its unfinished state its still functional.

Click here to enlarge

I also picked up an UnknownBBQ hinge for the lid that I will attach next weekend.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well, I ended up picking up the 18" WSM. Smoked a few times on it but forgot to post up so here is a bit of a dump.

Arrived from Amazon:

Click here to enlarge

Some accessories and smoke wood:

Click here to enlarge

First smoked racks of ribs:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

I smoked a second rack I didn't take pictures of. First rack was smoked with some hickory. The second set had no smoke wood, only charcoal. Both were good but I need to find a middle ground between the two and smoke the next rack with a bit less hickory in the ring.

Next up was some Brisket:

Click here to enlarge

All trimmed, rubbed, and ready for the smoker:

Click here to enlarge

After 19 hours on the smoker:

Click here to enlarge

Solid bark on the Brisket:

Click here to enlarge

I also decided to build a cart for it, still need to finish the siding and the doors but in its unfinished state its still functional.

Click here to enlarge

I also picked up an UnknownBBQ hinge for the lid that I will attach next weekend.

UnknownBBQ hinge! HUGE! THANK YOU! I will be buying this. You have made my life better.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    UnknownBBQ hinge! HUGE! THANK YOU! I will be buying this. You have made my life better.
    Haha, I cant wait to install mine. Going to be so handy.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast