Close

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 3000gt MR Click here to enlarge
    http://www.visiongrills.com/grills/classic-b-series/

I bought this particulate one for the slider style bottom vent. It's similar to the BGE lower vent so any attachments and mods that you can use on the BGE will work on this too. They have autotemp fans for maintaining perfect temps without messing with it for an hour and other stuff. I bought mine local but i think SAM's club sells the same model. I'd double check and make sure the model Sku is identical before buying from sams. They tend to get lesser models of things. You can pick up the accessories from home depo, i highly recommend the lava stone for indirect cooking.

The Grill warranty is great too. You can see it at the end of the product description
    So it's similar to a BGE but cheaper essentially?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I use mine to it's full potential, Over night smokes up to 12hrs, normal grillings, searing, cold smoking, indirect, direct, etc. I only use wood and Lump coal, If you plan on using biscuits then you mine as well buy a weber for $100. I can tell you there is absolutely no difference in cooking between the two. Even if you look at reviews for the large Vision grill the only complaints you'll see is "its hard to maintain temp" (so isnt the BGE, it takes time getting use to cooking in a ceramic grill), "its heavy" (well durr, its 1" thick ceramic with a ceramic bowl inside) and "it gets to hot" ( it only takes a little coal and very little air to get temp. Its insulated so it doesnt waste as much heat),

A full 12hr smoke on a 7-8lbs butt takes about 1 standard chimney worth of lump coal. I add lump wood and chips for smoke.
    Ok, I'm interested.

Would you post pictures of the things you make in this?

You use wood or coal or what?

So I can take a rack of lamb or put a rib roast in this quality prime rib? I'm just wondering what I can do on this that I can't do in the oven or on my grill I already have.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    Look at that turkey!
    What's so special about this turkey? What makes it better?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What I want to make is this:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I can't take this any longer. I'm heading to the store and grilling today. Steak at 9 AM? Why not?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Do it!
    2008 135i, Satin Metalic Blue on Black , JB4 G5 ISO W/ Blutooth connect kit, DCI, CP-E DP's and mid, AA Axel back, 1 Gal trunk mount meth.
    2007 HD Road Glide
    My Soundcloud, Give it a shot: https://soundcloud.com/dj-a-r-f

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge
    My current set up, don't mind the lighter fluid, not used in this box.
    2008 135i, Satin Metalic Blue on Black , JB4 G5 ISO W/ Blutooth connect kit, DCI, CP-E DP's and mid, AA Axel back, 1 Gal trunk mount meth.
    2007 HD Road Glide
    My Soundcloud, Give it a shot: https://soundcloud.com/dj-a-r-f

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Ok guys I have a badass Weber grill. It's seriously awesome, I love it. It's propane.

Now, would a BGE compliment the grill or be useless?

What exactly will this egg thing do I can't already do?
    Depends what you like doing.

I can get my grill going in 10 min and up to temp in 15 and even 500+*f in 20. I have an idea about how much coal i need and where my vents need to be. It takes time and cannot be rushed, You can only get more efficient. Someone who doesnt use one much will defiantly take longer. The egg is just a premier charcoal grill that holds heat EXTREMELY well. It doesnt use much coal and it defiantly takes some technique and lots of practice to get good at it. Thats the most important part. If that doesnt sound like something you like then you wont enjoy using it.

Once the grill is used and seasoned you wont get a better flavor especially from a gas grill. Theres different woods you can use for different meats and taste buds. You can do long cooks in it, but its not really ideal for burgers and constant opening of the lid. A standard charcoal grill would take so much more coal to do 3+hours worth of cooking.

Short and skinny

-Heat control is top notch with cermaics
    -Flavor
    -long cooks for smoking
    -extremely high temp capable ie searing
    -keeps wood smoldering instead of on fire
    -12+ hour long smokes at a constant temp
    -expandable for your needs
    -Cook anything. I have done everything from cold smoked cheese to pizza.
    -Ramp temp is unbelievable when you need precise control

I hate gas grills. Normal charcoal is okay but i dont like biscuits. The lump coal i use is called Royal Oak and all it is, is wood that has been charred in a very low oxygenated environment. No chemicals or anything of that nature 100% pure wood. I add pecan and hickory chips and chunks to my liking for most everything. I do use cherry, apple, and some others. You dont stick the coal in a chimney and light the whole thing, you only get a few pieces of coal going and let the rest feed off of it.
    Formerly 3000GT MR

Have a single turbo and/or tired of burning up O2 sensors? Ask me about the new ADV retro kits!
    Please Email me at ChrisKinnovations@gmail.com in lieu of PM's for fastest response on any topics.

Click here to enlarge
    335i
    E92 2010
    Mods: VM 6466 top mount, VRSF IC, twin disk, and lots more!
    335i VFF900 E90 2009 RIP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So it's similar to a BGE but cheaper essentially?
    Yes. Now i will admit the BGE is higher in build quaility. The Vision has lifetime on ceramic and 3 years on everything else. The grill defiantly isnt built as cheap as it could be and will last a very long time.

Ok, I'm interested.

Would you post pictures of the things you make in this?

You use wood or coal or what?

So I can take a rack of lamb or put a rib roast in this quality prime rib? I'm just wondering what I can do on this that I can't do in the oven or on my grill I already have.
    The thread you moved the stuff out of has a bunch of my stuff. Just go back a page or even further

I use Lump charcoal, preferably Royal Oak brand

I answered this in the post before this one.
    Formerly 3000GT MR

Have a single turbo and/or tired of burning up O2 sensors? Ask me about the new ADV retro kits!
    Please Email me at ChrisKinnovations@gmail.com in lieu of PM's for fastest response on any topics.

Click here to enlarge
    335i
    E92 2010
    335i VFF900 E90 2009 RIP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Depends what you like doing.

I can get my grill going in 10 min and up to temp in 15 and even 500+*f in 20. I have an idea about how much coal i need and where my vents need to be. It takes time and cannot be rushed, You can only get more efficient. Someone who doesnt use one much will defiantly take longer. The egg is just a premier charcoal grill that holds heat EXTREMELY well. It doesnt use much coal and it defiantly takes some technique and lots of practice to get good at it. Thats the most important part. If that doesnt sound like something you like then you wont enjoy using it.

Once the grill is used and seasoned you wont get a better flavor especially from a gas grill. Theres different woods you can use for different meats and taste buds. You can do long cooks in it, but its not really ideal for burgers and constant opening of the lid. A standard charcoal grill would take so much more coal to do 3+hours worth of cooking.

Short and skinny

-Heat control is top notch with cermaics
    -Flavor
    -long cooks for smoking
    -extremely high temp capable ie searing
    -keeps wood smoldering instead of on fire
    -12+ hour long smokes at a constant temp
    -expandable for your needs
    -Cook anything. I have done everything from cold smoked cheese to pizza.
    -Ramp temp is unbelievable when you need precise control

I hate gas grills. Normal charcoal is okay but i dont like biscuits. The lump coal i use is called Royal Oak and all it is, is wood that has been charred in a very low oxygenated environment. No chemicals or anything of that nature 100% pure wood. I add pecan and hickory chips and chunks to my liking for most everything. I do use cherry, apple, and some others. You dont stick the coal in a chimney and light the whole thing, you only get a few pieces of coal going and let the rest feed off of it.
    This only kinda sorta answers my question.

What can this egg do my grill can't? Will it compliment my grill?

I like the idea of using coal or wood chips. I like the idea of being able to make pizza too. I like the efficiency aspect too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I answered this in the post before this one.
    Answer it again damn you. There's rep in it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I'm a fish guy. Fishing is my ying/yang to balance the work stress...

Couple weeks ago, out of Oside:

Seared Ahi anyone???

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Ok guys I have a badass Weber grill. It's seriously awesome, I love it. It's propane.

Now, would a BGE compliment the grill or be useless?

What exactly will this egg thing do I can't already do?
    I don't smoke currently but would like to so take my input with a grain of salt here. I have a badass Weber (can put in chips and smoke them for flavor) as well but I still want a smoker. The smoker will compliment the grill. You (typically) wouldn't use the smoker for burgers, steak, and other tender meats. You smoke ribs, brisket, chicken, turkey, etc. You will get a lot more flavor and the low and slow approach will really tenderize the tougher meats. When you look at the red meats posted by the guys in here you can see a ring around the outside of the meats, that's the smoke ring. You will never get that with propane and there is a lot of flavor there. Smoking is to a charcoal grill as a charcoal grill is to propane/natural gas. More effort but it pays off with better flavors. There is a reason all true BBQ is made on a smoker.

Now, with all of that said, what are people's opinions on the automatic pellet smokers?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This only kinda sorta answers my question.

What can this egg do my grill can't? Will it compliment my grill?

I like the idea of using coal or wood chips. I like the idea of being able to make pizza too. I like the efficiency aspect too.

Slow cook, High temp cook, smoke, sear (steak, fish, pork)
    Do you like pulled pork, or ribs? I put a cast iron skillet on the grate and crank the grill up to 550-600*f and slap a piece of local beef on it for about 3 minutes on either side. Do you like "brick oven" cooking or "oak grilled" when you go out to an Italian restaurant or any good steak restaurant? Thats whats different. Its between open fire and charcoal grill. Thats what you cant do with a gas. As far as complementing a gas grill, I've never had the need for one or cooked along side with one. I time things according and throw it all on the grill.

Theres nothing like an oak wood grilled steak flat bread or steak.

Answer it again damn you. There's rep in it.
    That would be muchly appreciated.

Instead of sending you bottles, i can send you some of my homemade pork and rib rub. Most of it comes from my 7 pepper plants in the garden. Growing is slow right now in this heat we are in but come fall there will be more than i know what to do with.
    Formerly 3000GT MR

Click here to enlarge
    335i
    E92 2010
    335i VFF900 E90 2009 RIP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Pure Turbos Click here to enlarge
    I'm a fish guy. Fishing is my ying/yang to balance the work stress...

Couple weeks ago, out of Oside:

Seared Ahi anyone???

Click here to enlarge
    This is the first year i can remember not dolphin fishing. Im super jelly. Nice catch btw!
    Formerly 3000GT MR

Click here to enlarge
    335i
    E92 2010
    335i VFF900 E90 2009 RIP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ATP Click here to enlarge

Now, with all of that said, what are people's opinions on the automatic pellet smokers?
    Gross. Takes the fun out. I never had a great flavor from it like you do smoking on the grill. The Byron BBQ pit master grill is for people who cant cook on a grill. I'm sure he cringes every time that commercial is on regardless what he makes from it
    Formerly 3000GT MR

Click here to enlarge
    335i
    E92 2010
    335i VFF900 E90 2009 RIP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Formerly 3000GT MR

Click here to enlarge
    335i
    E92 2010
    335i VFF900 E90 2009 RIP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Gross. Takes the fun out. I never had a great flavor from it like you do smoking on the grill. The Byron BBQ pit master grill is for people who cant cook on a grill. I'm sure he cringes every time that commercial is on regardless what he makes from it
    Well, that is disappointing. I would love to smoke for football Sundays but getting it all set up and smoking over night up north has to be a huge PITA for a first timer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ATP Click here to enlarge
    Well, that is disappointing. I would love to smoke for football Sundays but getting it all set up and smoking over night up north has to be a huge PITA for a first timer.
    i only do 8-12 hr smokes so i can sleep and not worry about it. Truthfully anything over 6-8 is a waste of time and doesnt add any benefit. If you have a regular charcoal grill just throw a smoke box in it with what ever chips you like. You can still smoke with it.
    Formerly 3000GT MR

Click here to enlarge
    335i
    E92 2010
    335i VFF900 E90 2009 RIP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Sticky I have a large SS propane grill. It's easy to cook on, easy to regulate, etc. I use it all the time.

I see a smoker as a great add on which is why I am looking at one. I think it's going to be really fun in football season when I can cook, drink, and watch football all Sunday long.

Anyone can cook on propane. I see smoking meats & cheese as a fun project.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    @Sticky I have a large SS propane grill. It's easy to cook on, easy to regulate, etc. I use it all the time.

I see a smoker as a great add on which is why I am looking at one. I think it's going to be really fun in football season when I can cook, drink, and watch football all Sunday long.

Anyone can cook on propane. I see smoking meats & cheese as a fun project.
    Good point. My GF cooks in the kitchen so when shes not cooking then i am on the grill. So i guess i just dont see a need for a propane grill for my self.

Cheese is very very tough. Requires lots of ice an patients. Once its in the grill you cannot open it. Doing that allows oxygen to increase temp. I wont do it again for a little while. Next time im going to smoke and dry raw meat. Something like a smoked prosciutto or something to go with the cheese.
    Formerly 3000GT MR

Click here to enlarge
    335i
    E92 2010
    335i VFF900 E90 2009 RIP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've got a standard Weber kettle grill that i use for smoking, takes some ghetto engineering but it works great. A co-worker has a Weber Smokey Mountain and says my food tastes every bit as delicious as his, so who knows if i'm missing out on something. If anyone wants to try it out without investing a ton of money its a very easy route to take. Just make sure you get an automatic temperature regulator and a wireless thermometer, it will pay for itself the first time you use it.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)

Blackened salmon for me 25% of the rub i grew the rest is store bought ingredients but 100% my creation cooked on cedar. For her, salmon steamed with sweet pepper, apple, habanero mango sauce, Worcestershire sauce, red wine, fresh garlic, Onion, and lemon pepper salt. My first shot at skillet potatoes, I just threw a little milk, fresh chopped garlic, olive oil, butter and water. Potatoes came out awesome. Cant wait to do them again.

This was smoked with pecan (which i love with fish) and a little hickory. My fish had more of a cedar taste but that was expected. This was me just experimenting
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Formerly 3000GT MR

Click here to enlarge
    335i
    E92 2010
    335i VFF900 E90 2009 RIP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I guess I differ on this. My recommendation for first time smokers is to get something like a Traeger (pellet smoker). The ease of use is amazing and I've seen excellent results from them. The biggest drawback IMHO is the cost, but for someone who wants to get in to smoking but doesn't want to do the trial and error of running a wood/charcoal one, it is pretty tough to beat.

Im OCD enough that I love the challenge and subtle differences you can get with a wood/charcoal smoker. Love my Weber Smokey Mountain and I'm good enough now I can set it and forget it, but that took a lot of effort to get there. Most folks just want to play and a pellet is great for that. Even an electric smoker can produce good results for little effort.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Blackened salmon for me 25% of the rub i grew the rest is store bought ingredients but 100% my creation cooked on cedar. For her, salmon steamed with sweet pepper, apple, habanero mango sauce, Worcestershire sauce, red wine, fresh garlic, Onion, and lemon pepper salt. My first shot at skillet potatoes, I just threw a little milk, fresh chopped garlic, olive oil, butter and water. Potatoes came out awesome. Cant wait to do them again.

This was smoked with pecan (which i love with fish) and a little hickory. My fish had more of a cedar taste but that was expected. This was me just experimenting
    That's kickass. I make my own rubs too, but not with items from my garden. You're hardcore!

And any issues smoking salmon? My wife loves smoked salmon, but I've heard horror stories of the fish oils tainting smokers. Some people have two smokers - one for fish and one for meats. I may need to just bite the bullet and do it...

-Rich

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast