Close

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ///MPOSTER Click here to enlarge
    HA! guess I need to put on some pounds
    2008 135i, Satin Metalic Blue on Black , JB4 G5 ISO W/ Blutooth connect kit, DCI, CP-E DP's and mid, AA Axel back, 1 Gal trunk mount meth.
    2007 HD Road Glide
    My Soundcloud, Give it a shot: https://soundcloud.com/dj-a-r-f

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I'm sick of my Pit boss. It sucks. Doesn't work half the time. Going to give it to my dad or just throw it away I guess.

Looking to get something serious and I'm thinking this is the choice: https://www.rectecgrills.com/bull-rt...d-pellet-grill

https://www.BoostAddict.com/images/i...letGrill-1.jpg
    Why don't you just go old school and get a stick burner or charcoal?

Never been a fan of electric pellet types. It's like smoking a cigar vs vaping
    2008 135i, Satin Metalic Blue on Black , JB4 G5 ISO W/ Blutooth connect kit, DCI, CP-E DP's and mid, AA Axel back, 1 Gal trunk mount meth.
    2007 HD Road Glide
    My Soundcloud, Give it a shot: https://soundcloud.com/dj-a-r-f

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FRD135i Click here to enlarge
    Why don't you just go old school and get a stick burner or charcoal?

Agreed, pellet types seem to be for Instagram/yuppies who just want to say they 'smoke meat'. Doing it the 'right way' takes a fraction more time to do it right.

If you really want to spend that much on an popular smoker buy a green egg XL like all the yuppies do.

If you want to spend the money get something bad ass like this:
    https://bbqpits.com/products-2/square-smokers/
    https://bbqpits.com/products-2/combo-smokers/
    https://bbqpits.com/wp-content/uploa...moker_2016.pdf
    https://bbqpits.com/wp-content/uploa..._Chef_2016.pdf

If you are ready to buy basically commercial grade truck and trailer to haul cars around to a few events a year this should be chump change Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FRD135i Click here to enlarge
    The pellet is just so easy. I like it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I’ve got a Weber Smokey Mountain that I love. It took a few tries to figure it out. I eventually got to where it would hold within 10degrees of where I wanted it. But Colorado makes for some wild weather changes and wind/direct sun can really affect the temp, so I got a Flame Boss to control the temp and it’s awesome. Great setup that uses charcoal. You can get a Flame Boss for the BGE or other ceramic smokers too.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by richpike Click here to enlarge
    Iíve got a Weber Smokey Mountain that I love. It took a few tries to figure it out. I eventually got to where it would hold within 10degrees of where I wanted it. But Colorado makes for some wild weather changes and wind/direct sun can really affect the temp, so I got a Flame Boss to control the temp and itís awesome. Great setup that uses charcoal. You can get a Flame Boss for the BGE or other ceramic smokers too.

-Rich
    WSM is what I use, simple, inexpensive, and made by webber so it is going to last me 20 years like my old webber charcoal grill will(in theory).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The pellet is just so easy. I like it.
    Seriously, lump FTW. It's really not that hard.

Iíve got a Weber Smokey Mountain that I love. It took a few tries to figure it out. I eventually got to where it would hold within 10degrees of where I wanted it. But Colorado makes for some wild weather changes and wind/direct sun can really affect the temp, so I got a Flame Boss to control the temp and itís awesome. Great setup that uses charcoal. You can get a Flame Boss for the BGE or other ceramic smokers too.

-Rich
    How is the flame boss working out? I might splurge for my birthday. Still kinda like going old school and manual vents but I have similar issues with the environment causing temp fluctuations.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    WSM is what I use, simple, inexpensive, and made by webber so it is going to last me 20 years like my old webber charcoal grill will(in theory).
    Weber > *. Seriously. I have 3 Webers and I won't buy anything else.

Has anyone smoked beef ribs? I can get beef short ribs at Costco and have always wanted to smoke "dino" ribs. The Costco ribs are USDA prime (like their full brisket) but they are only ~6" long so not full "dino" ribs. I think I might give them a try but only have a 2 probe setup and will likely smoke brisket at the same time. Any tips/thoughts on temp and time for the ribs? Rubs?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ATP Click here to enlarge
    How is the flame boss working out? I might splurge for my birthday. Still kinda like going old school and manual vents but I have similar issues with the environment causing temp fluctuations.
    It’s fantastic. I’ve used it a handful of times now and it holds very steady. Within 5 degrees. Without me doing anything. The only drawback to it is I feel like I use more charcoal now. It’s odd. As I thought I’d use less.

And we’ve done dino ribs before. They’re awesome. Been too long since I did them to offer advice, other than they are a must do.

Click here to enlarge

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2418 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ATP Click here to enlarge
    Weber > *. Seriously. I have 3 Webers and I won't buy anything else.
    I'm starting to think just go Weber like you.

My BBQ always works perfectly but my Pit Boss pellet is a pile of garbage.

Thinking I might just go Weber Smokey Mountain and see how I do with it. Just concerned about lighting it which seems difficult as well as maintaining a certain temp.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm starting to think just go Weber like you.

My BBQ always works perfectly but my Pit Boss pellet is a pile of garbage.

Thinking I might just go Weber Smokey Mountain and see how I do with it. Just concerned about lighting it which seems difficult as well as maintaining a certain temp.
    Lighting is super easy. Look up ďminion methodĒ and then just buy a chimney:

http://virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html

The temp piece is a little difficult at first. But the good news is itís pretty hard to screw up bbq. Even if you jump to 300* for a bit itís not the end of the world. And once the meat hits 140 or so it stops taking in smoke so you can always finish in the oven if you run out of charcoal. The key is to always cook to temp, not time.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Lighting is super easy. Look up “minion method” and then just buy a chimney:

http://virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html

The temp piece is a little difficult at first. But the good news is it’s pretty hard to screw up bbq. Even if you jump to 300* for a bit it’s not the end of the world. And once the meat hits 140 or so it stops taking in smoke so you can always finish in the oven if you run out of charcoal. The key is to always cook to temp, not time.

-Rich
    How long does the charcoal last? I fill it and I’m good for how long?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
    How long does the charcoal last? I fill it and I’m good for how long?
    It varies on the type of charcoal you use, outside conditions, how hot you run, etc. But in general, a full basket will get you 8-10 hours. That’s for my 18.5” WSM. The larger ones will hold more charcoal.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It varies on the type of charcoal you use, outside conditions, how hot you run, etc. But in general, a full basket will get you 8-10 hours. That’s for my 18.5” WSM. The larger ones will hold more charcoal.

-Rich
    Where do you buy the wood for flavoring?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
    Where do you buy the wood for flavoring?
    I buy it at Ace Hardware. But you can buy it on amazon, Bass Pro, Cabelas, etc. I just prefer Ace as they have a huge selection. Don’t buy chips. Buy fist size blocks. And for the love of God, don’t soak your wood. Highly frowned upon Click here to enlarge

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I've got a WSM and love it. For temperature control @Sticky i use the BBQ IQ110 and its pretty rock solid. With the water pan full it holds very consistent temperature, a little fluctuation when i pull it out, but i prefer the "bark" i get when i dont use a water pan.

https://smile.amazon.com/Temperature...gateway&sr=8-2

I have a wireless dual thermometer setup to keep an eye on meat internal temp and temperature at the grate to know if im running low on charcoal.

I can get close to 18 hrs on a full bag of Kingsford blue bag briquettes @225. Its my go-to time and temp for pulled pork. Granted, i'm in FL so less fuel needed, but should be closer to your temperatures being in CA.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415