Close

    • BimmerBoost member switches from ESS VT2-625 E92 M3 supercharger to Active Autowerke Gen 2 Level III and picks up 5 mph in the 1/4 mile

      The proof is in the timeslips, isn't it? You can argue about dyno plots and mix and match results to try to claim one E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit is better than another but it is very difficult to argue against someone trying out two different kits and posting the results from the same car at the same track.


      That is exactly what BimmerBoost member @dnotorious did. In his own words:

      Quote Originally Posted by dnotorious
      Recently switched my supercharger from ESS VT2-625 to the AA Gen 2 Level 3. Car made around 600whp/400wtq; and ran 11.4 @ 129mph with no launch control and pump gas 94 octane with street tires P4S. Pretty impressed with the switch over to the Rotrex so far and air to air heat exchanger.
      The Rotrex blower of the Active Autowerke kit offers much more mid-range torque than the Vortech V3si based ESS-Tuning kit. There is something to be said for area under the curve. Look at his dyno plot:


      621 horsepower at the wheels on a Dynocom but look at that torque curve. BimmerBoost has said it once and will say it again, Active Autowerke offers the best looking torque curve for a supercharged S65 V8 in the business. That is of course speaking of a stock internal S65 which the Rotrex blower seems to pair perfectly with.

      Ok, dyno plots are one thing. What about actual 1/4 mile times? He picked up ~5 miles per hour of trap speed and 3 to 4 tenths of a second on street tires:


      Feel free to argue with the timeslips but picking up that kind of trap speed is no small feat.

      Great comparison data and great independent results.




      This article was originally published in forum thread: Active Autowerke - 11.4@129mph started by dnotorious View original post
      Comments 20 Comments
      1. 93siro's Avatar
        93siro -
        This is the kit to get for M3 IMHO. Anything more than this power level and i believe expensive $#@! starts to break.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 93siro Click here to enlarge
        This is the kit to get for M3 IMHO. Anything more than this power level and i believe expensive $#@! starts to break.
        It depends. If you want all out stock internal performance, the Gintani kit on E85 is the top dog.

        If you want driveability, reliability, area under the curve, etc. on pump gas the AA kit is the best IMO. I love Evolve's approach too.

        In the early days I got too caught up in peak hp. If I could do it over again I would definitely have ended up with AA's kit. I also would have actually gotten to enjoy my car.
      1. 93siro's Avatar
        93siro -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It depends. If you want all out stock internal performance, the Gintani kit on E85 is the top dog.

        If you want driveability, reliability, area under the curve, etc. on pump gas the AA kit is the best IMO. I love Evolve's approach too.

        In the early days I got too caught up in peak hp. If I could do it over again I would definitely have ended up with AA's kit. I also would have actually gotten to enjoy my car.
        Agreed. Just throw the kit and enjoy the car with not much hassles. Even though these days everyone are spoiled with crazy HP numbers, 600whp is still a lot of power to enjoy a car.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 93siro Click here to enlarge
        Agreed. Just throw the kit and enjoy the car with not much hassles. Even though these days everyone are spoiled with crazy HP numbers, 600whp is still a lot of power to enjoy a car.
        I don't even understand people. 600 whp is a ton of power.

        My Carrera has nowhere near that yet people call it fast. I think people just like to talk down the E9X M3.

        The torque curve on these supercharged setups makes them nasty from a roll. A 600 whp N54 is not beating a 600 whp M3.

        There is a thread on the E85 tuned Gintani sc'd car taking down just about everything in the kills section. Nice to see Gintani finally figure out E85.
      1. 93siro's Avatar
        93siro -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        I don't even understand people. 600 whp is a ton of power.

        My Carrera has nowhere near that yet people call it fast. I think people just like to talk down the E9X M3.

        The torque curve on these supercharged setups makes them nasty from a roll. A 600 whp N54 is not beating a 600 whp M3.

        There is a thread on the E85 tuned Gintani sc'd car taking down just about everything in the kills section. Nice to see Gintani finally figure out E85.
        It's a pretty natural thing to hear. People $#@! on something that they don't own, usually the upscale/better one.

        You mentioned Gintani. Funny thing is for some reason, maybe i'm too drunk, i was going to point you to the admin of a site who has his car with them for 5 years lol. How could you not trash them?

        You know after this ESS customer service problem, i'm starting to get why people spend more money for reputations whereas they could get the same performance for a lot less coins like Dinan etc.. When you are coming from your grandmother's funeral with your mom in the car the last thing you want is the car to $#@! its pants on the highway and work on 3 cylinders instead of 6. And also it must be nice to grab your phone/computer and start to complain and instead of hearing excuses and how it's all your fault, you actually receive an apology and a fix for your $#@!.

        These cars are not just racecars, they serve as luxury personal transportation first. I personally wouldn't sacrifice the primary goal my car just for little extra performance.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 93siro Click here to enlarge
        You mentioned Gintani. Funny thing is for some reason, maybe i'm too drunk, i was going to point you to the admin of a site who has his car with them for 5 years lol. How could you not trash them?
        At this point the goal is to just extricate myself from that black hole. I thought I'd have a tuner who would want to push for records and take advantage of a forum owner promoting them. I was wrong. You can't push a tuner into the record books if they don't have the drive/ability to get there themselves.

        I don't even know where to start with ESS. I suppose it's a good thing they aren't RMS?

        Regarding Dinan they can't provide anything resembling serious performance these days. I have no idea how they stay in business. Maybe that warranty aspect is comforting?

        Speaking of which, I'm going to go to the store and buy some nice stouts and just relax. At least I'll be able to take my 911 there instead of sitting here miserable my M3 isn't running.
      1. RNS-11Z's Avatar
        RNS-11Z -
        Off topic but sticky has there been any progress with your car? I really hope you get it soon.
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RNS-11Z Click here to enlarge
        Off topic but sticky has there been any progress with your car? I really hope you get it soon.
        Let's keep it on topic. It's rare to get a direct comparison like this.

        My car will be resolved one way or another.
      1. AWSAWS's Avatar
        AWSAWS -
        Looking at the 60ft there's still room for improvement on the ET. A 1.9 on a street tyre is do-able.
      1. e92livin's Avatar
        e92livin -
        Good stuff Denzil, glad to see people still experimenting with the S65 platform. 129mph is straight moving! The car definitely has a 10 second pass in it.
      1. dnotorious's Avatar
        dnotorious -
        Thanks guys. Appreciate the post. I was so greased that I had to go back 2 days later and see if this was consistently trapping 129 mph which by my estimate puts it SAE @ 600whp+. It's hard for me to shake the 60'ft. I'm your average Joe with 3 kids and 2 baby seats. Yeah there are arguably better platforms for 1/4 mile. I'm jus contempt with this old grey M suits my needs life and wife balance. But she was going 130.85mph now and I'm stoked. Still on my stock muffler section too. What I enjoy is that with no cool down I was able to run back to back pulls. ESS needed a break after 3 runs. Oil temps on this runs sit at 100 deg C. ESS ran 115 deg C. So that Air to Air cooling is probably the biggest improvement i noticed. Being able to keep at it over and over without the traps dropping was good to see. ESS lost 5mph after heat soaking.

        I was happy with ESS, the only reason I switched was the lack of customer service. And i felt belittled when I wanted to upgrade to 650 kit. So i had to ditch it and go for something where i can expect better service, then quality and lastly price.

        I'll be looking into a street track tire RE71R is what gave me that 11.7 on ESS. I'm on P4S now, decent from a roll. But after a few digs the tire needs a cool down. Hence jus off throttle only launches. With 10s in sight I'll be back hopefully to share the slips
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dnotorious Click here to enlarge
        It's hard for me to shake the 60'ft. I'm your average Joe with 3 kids and 2 baby seats. Yeah there are arguably better platforms for 1/4 mile.
        The E9X M3 does very well on the strip. You just need drag rubber man.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dnotorious Click here to enlarge
        I was happy with ESS, the only reason I switched was the lack of customer service. And i felt belittled when I wanted to upgrade to 650 kit. So i had to ditch it and go for something where i can expect better service, then quality and lastly price.
        If you aren't one of the people on the forum ESS markets through you will not get support. You found it out first hand.

        Why did you feel belittled though? Did they say something like the 625 is enough?

        Active's support is miles better. Plus, their kit is fantastic.
      1. dnotorious's Avatar
        dnotorious -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        The E9X M3 does very well on the strip. You just need drag rubber man.
        Yah, I'm looking at NT555R now and seeing if this would be a good tire to run. I don't want a dedicated drag set yet maybe something to hook hard enuf. I have the GTS Flash so the launches are at 3k rpm. It did well with the previous setup.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dnotorious Click here to enlarge
        Yah, I'm looking at NT555R now and seeing if this would be a good tire to run. I don't want a dedicated drag set yet maybe something to hook hard enuf. I have the GTS Flash so the launches are at 3k rpm. It did well with the previous setup.
        I prefer the full 6000+ rpm launches with launch control but that's me.

        A dedicated set is the way to go but the NT555R is a good street/strip radial. Meaning you can drive on it without issue as long as there isn't any water.
      1. dnotorious's Avatar
        dnotorious -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        If you aren't one of the people on the forum ESS markets through you will not get support. You found it out first hand.
        Why did you feel belittled though? Did they say something like the 625 is enough?
        Active's support is miles better. Plus, their kit is fantastic.

        Well with ESS I am working here with a local dealer who maintains a good standing relationship. After some months he got a new job and moved on, but he still supported me directly maintaining the kit you know here and there. However after years of communication with AJ (I had an 08 M3 6MT E90 as well used ESS) something changed. My emails got into someone else's mailbox. That lady Hanna is so rude and mean. I was seriously interested in the upgrade and was quoted one price earlier which then became almost double the price. Okay, I get it new supply chain model. But even after perusing it, her email etiquette was on par of that of United Airlines. She is correcting me in a condescending way. Even after I still perused it, was advised I would now need to contact someone else local to me. All these years of direct communication went out the door. And now I am supposed to trust a new shop which btw was over 60 miles from me out in the boonies and I'm living in the metropolis area of Toronto where there are other shops. Anyways, it felt that they didn't care I upgraded or not, and didn't even follow up with me like good old customer service retention or providing some satisfaction. Its like they didn't mind me closing the door. I promoted them well on my own and even got 2 others to join me. But they too experience the same issues with lengthy turnarounds and just no responses.

        While this might work for some who pay mercy to their brands, I am a straight up no-nonsense and will be happy to leave and take my enthusiasm elsewhere. Glad I did and the Active Team so far has been nothing short of family.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dnotorious Click here to enlarge
        and will be happy to leave and take my enthusiasm elsewhere. Glad I did and the Active Team so far has been nothing short of family.
        That's the way to do it. Make your point with your wallet.

        You're trapping 130+ now. ESS is in the rearview, literally.
      1. dnotorious's Avatar
        dnotorious -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        That's the way to do it. Make your point with your wallet.

        You're trapping 130+ now. ESS is in the rearview, literally.
        While I am enjoying the new trap speeds, I am definitely more happy to be speaking to a human on the other side. Best of all, its the same tech who installed both ESS and AA. Without Jon I wouldnt get this far. So as much as good and bad experiences with vendors, its the middleman that gets skipped over or no recognition. Kudos to the techs out there who work hard for these brands to make the customers feel delight in owning them. Shout out to you Jon wherever you are. I hope you know I appreciate the service, friendship and laughs we have had together.
      1. SpeedLimit?'s Avatar
        SpeedLimit? -
        I wonder if it would be possible to adapt this hardware to run on a s85 instead of the vortech supercharger...
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SpeedLimit? Click here to enlarge
        I wonder if it would be possible to adapt this hardware to run on a s85 instead of the vortech supercharger...
        You'd want a bigger blower on the S85.