Close

    • The F10 M5 is a massive tuning value right now - Stock M5 timeslip, modded potential, and used values

      Everyone is impressed by the F90 M5, right? Well, the truth is it is not a huge step up over the F10 M5. The main difference is really the addition of all wheel drive and the automatic transmission. Ask yourself, is all wheel drive is worth $70k?


      Yes, F10 M5's are down into the ~$30k range. That is a screaming value. Throw a tune on one and you will eat F90 M5's on the highway all day long making F90 owners wonder what they spent $100k on.

      Just like the C7 generation RS7 to the C8 generation RS7 the performance envelope really hasn't changed much. Everything around the engine changed.

      This is what a stock F10 M5 will do in the 1/4 mile:


      11.89 @ 119.5 on a 1.9X 60 foot? Much more in it with traction and traction is really the key.

      If you do not need all wheel drive take advantage of how the F10 M5 tanks in value. The F90 M5 will drop hard too although maybe not quite as much depending on the next generation M5 design.

      The bottom line is many of these expensive German performance cars and BMW's in particular (look at the SUV's) drop like a rock once they roll out of the dealer. The F10 M5 is the best bargain in M5 performance tuning of all time.

      Feel free to look over some turbo upgraded examples to verify: https://www.bimmerboost.com/content....85-X5M-F86-X6M


      This article was originally published in forum thread: The F10 M5 is a massive tuning value right now - Stock M5 timeslip, modded potential, and used values started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 22 Comments
      1. Payam@BMS's Avatar
        Payam@BMS -
        Why do you think I got mine 2 years ago for $35k Click here to enlarge
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Payam@BMS Click here to enlarge
        Why do you think I got mine 2 years ago for $35k Click here to enlarge
        Because it's a good value lol. Kind of makes me want an M6 convertible.

        These were $100k+ cars brand new and now you can get them for nothing.
      1. Stevenh's Avatar
        Stevenh -
        Lol. Give it two months. It looks like we're heading back to '09 days when a 2-3 year old 997tt could be found for $50k.
      1. Payam@BMS's Avatar
        Payam@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Because it's a good value lol. Kind of makes me want an M6 convertible.

        These were $100k+ cars brand new and now you can get them for nothing.
        Great bang for the buck, handles great, looks awesome, sounds mean AF, fast as hell, super comfortable, has lots of amenities.
      1. nbrigdan's Avatar
        nbrigdan -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Because it's a good value lol. Kind of makes me want an M6 convertible.

        These were $100k+ cars brand new and now you can get them for nothing.
        The Orange County special: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4987/overview/

        Seriously, 38k ask for a 27,xxx mile car? Plus these prices are going to get crushed with the state of the market.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nbrigdan Click here to enlarge
        The Orange County special: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4987/overview/

        Seriously, 38k ask for a 27,xxx mile car? Plus these prices are going to get crushed with the state of the market.
        That's an incredible deal...
      1. nbrigdan's Avatar
        nbrigdan -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        That's an incredible deal...
        Tune, DP, WMI...you know the drill. You'd run into the limit of the clutches before you'd run out of power on the table.
      1. Payam@BMS's Avatar
        Payam@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nbrigdan Click here to enlarge
        Tune, DP, WMI...you know the drill. You'd run into the limit of the clutches before you'd run out of power on the table.
        Correct, that's my limit right now on the DCT.
      1. lulz_m3's Avatar
        lulz_m3 -
        Just grabbed mine two weeks ago. Threw on spacers, Akravopic M performance exhaust along with BM3 OTS tune. Pretty damn nasty plus the heated, cooled, and massaged seats are nice for long trips. This car is the ultimate daily driver.

        Just a little freaked out by all the motor failures i'm seeing on the forums but hard to tell how much of that is poor tuning/self inflicted.

        From what i'm reading BM3 lowered the boost on their OTS maps to save the rods/clutches... suck its considerably slower than previous maps but worth it to prevent the headaches of an expensive failure i guess.


        Attachment 60396
      1. 5soko's Avatar
        5soko -
        Isnt the clutch and rods the weak point? Dont these things spit out rods and blow up with high boost?
      1. lulz_m3's Avatar
        lulz_m3 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5soko Click here to enlarge
        Isnt the clutch and rods the weak point? Dont these things spit out rods and blow up with high boost?
        Rods bend. Clutches can start slipping also. The guy i bought my exhaust from said he was crusing down the highway and the piston seized into the cylinder. Cylinder 1 piston skirt was also making contact with the cylinder wall upon tear down. I tend to think he was running the car absurdly hard though, although he said he wasn't.

        Basic rule of thumb is keep torque =< 650 wtq.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
        Just grabbed mine two weeks ago. Threw on spacers, Akravopic M performance exhaust along with BM3 OTS tune. Pretty damn nasty plus the heated, cooled, and massaged seats are nice for long trips. This car is the ultimate daily driver.
        Why didn't you anything? Beautiful car.

        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lulz_m3 Click here to enlarge
        From what i'm reading BM3 lowered the boost on their OTS maps to save the rods/clutches... suck its considerably slower than previous maps but worth it to prevent the headaches of an expensive failure i guess.
        Wow... they're actually behaving responsibly.
      1. langsbr's Avatar
        langsbr -
        Ha, that's my buddy's car vs my 6mt 335. Damn dct makes it easy lol. He has a jb4 ready to go on. Just wanted to get a baseline and then needs a few things fixed under warranty first.

        His car has 64k and damn it's fun. He came from a CTSv1 with 485whp. He was gonna get a v2 and I talked him into the M5 instead. Now I'm trying to talk him into a set of PS2s, clutches, and race gas lol.
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by langsbr Click here to enlarge
        Ha, that's my buddy's car vs my 6mt 335. Damn dct makes it easy lol. He has a jb4 ready to go on. Just wanted to get a baseline and then needs a few things fixed under warranty first.

        His car has 64k and damn it's fun. He came from a CTSv1 with 485whp. He was gonna get a v2 and I talked him into the M5 instead. Now I'm trying to talk him into a set of PS2s, clutches, and race gas lol.
        Did u post in the wrong thread?
      1. langsbr's Avatar
        langsbr -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
        Did u post in the wrong thread?
        No. What makes you think that? That is my time on the left in my 6MT 335, and that is his F10 M5 on the right? Or was your comment some kind of "M elite" assholishness?
      1. Sticky2's Avatar
        Sticky2 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by langsbr Click here to enlarge
        No. What makes you think that? That is my time on the left in my 6MT 335, and that is his F10 M5 on the right? Or was your comment some kind of "M elite" assholishness?
        Um I thought you were referencing something else and now i see you mean your car was on the slip...
      1. langsbr's Avatar
        langsbr -
        My outlet blew off before the end of the 1/4 too. I figure I can hold him off on the highway until he puts the JB4 on it. I see a lot of dynos for F10s, but not what they trap with a JB4.
      1. Payam@BMS's Avatar
        Payam@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by langsbr Click here to enlarge
        Ha, that's my buddy's car vs my 6mt 335. Damn dct makes it easy lol. He has a jb4 ready to go on. Just wanted to get a baseline and then needs a few things fixed under warranty first.

        His car has 64k and damn it's fun. He came from a CTSv1 with 485whp. He was gonna get a v2 and I talked him into the M5 instead. Now I'm trying to talk him into a set of PS2s, clutches, and race gas lol.
        Skip the PS2. Just get clutches and meth or CPI kit, he will make more power than the motor can handle.
      1. langsbr's Avatar
        langsbr -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Payam@BMS Click here to enlarge
        Skip the PS2. Just get clutches and meth or CPI kit, he will make more power than the motor can handle.
        What is the limit of the motor? 800whpish?
      1. Payam@BMS's Avatar
        Payam@BMS -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by langsbr Click here to enlarge
        What is the limit of the motor? 800whpish?
        About, just make sure tq comes in super slow and less than 650wtq and you should be fine.