Close

    • B58 HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump) upgrade coming from XDI

      It is interesting to note we are going to see B58 direct injection fuel system upgrades relatively quickly in the B58 lifespan. Not too long ago Mission Performance showed their HPFP upgrade in action topping 500+ whp on ethanol only.


      Well, the biggest name in the direct injection fuel system aftermarket is getting into the mix with their B58 development already under way.

      The OEM B58 pump is said to lose pressure at 14-15 psi which is relatively early especially when messing with ethanol. So, those B58's you see pushing the factory pump to hit some peak dyno numbers likely will not have the factory pump last too long.

      XDI (Xtreme-DI) has their upgraded pump running on their B58 test car and you can expect fairly quick development considering their success on the N55, N55B30T0, and S55 motors with upgraded HPFP's.

      More details to come.

      This article was originally published in forum thread: XDI B58 HPFP upgrade on the way started by Sticky View original post
      Comments 13 Comments
      1. 135iTX's Avatar
        135iTX -
        Is there a difference in fuel pumps from early B58s vs the one in the new Supra? Looks like those guys are upgrading turbos and making 650ish on stock fuel system.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135iTX Click here to enlarge
        Is there a difference in fuel pumps from early B58s vs the one in the new Supra?
        I'm not sure.

        It would be great to get a real breakdown on the B58 engine differences.
      1. RSicks's Avatar
        RSicks -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135iTX Click here to enlarge
        Is there a difference in fuel pumps from early B58s vs the one in the new Supra? Looks like those guys are upgrading turbos and making 650ish on stock fuel system.
        Yes, there are differences. Not sure of the internal structure differences, but there is a size difference. With slight adjustments (trimming of the base, connector and the intake manifold) the Supra hpfp will fit a N55.
      1. F222's Avatar
        F222 -
        Good stuff
      1. maxnix's Avatar
        maxnix -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge

        It would be great to get a real breakdown on the B58 engine differences.
        There is an article in R&T from a few months ago that highlights the different part numbers in the B58B30O1 in the Z4 MDrive40i vs. the B58B30C in the Supra.
      1. Duckmann's Avatar
        Duckmann -
        Fuel pressure is higher on the Supra B58 version, same for M340i.
      1. maxnix's Avatar
        maxnix -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Duckmann Click here to enlarge
        Fuel pressure is higher on the Supra B58 version, same for M340i.
        Higher than previous versions of the B58? Not very clearly stated.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by maxnix Click here to enlarge
        There is an article in R&T from a few months ago that highlights the different part numbers in the B58B30O1 in the Z4 MDrive40i vs. the B58B30C in the Supra.
        Would you link it or is it magazine only?
      1. maxnix's Avatar
        maxnix -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        Would you link it or is it magazine only?

        https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...mw-z4-engines/

        He has also written a couple of other articles on the BMW Supra:

        https://jalopnik.com/what-it-would-t...-ma-1832173633

        https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-toyota...car-1829563030
      1. Kern417's Avatar
        Kern417 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by maxnix Click here to enlarge
        Higher than previous versions of the B58? Not very clearly stated.
        The F-series B58 has a 2900psi pressure limit. The G-series/Supra pump can push 5000psi. Keep in mind the Mission Performance hpfp upgrade mentioned at the beginning of this article was simply a modified pump from the new B58.

        The turbo and cylinderhead on the Supra/Z4 is different as well. Primarily the exhaust side only has 2 outlets, so turbo kits won't be interchangeable with other B58 engines.
      1. Sticky's Avatar
        Sticky -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kern417 Click here to enlarge
        Keep in mind the Mission Performance hpfp upgrade mentioned at the beginning of this article was simply a modified pump from the new B58.
        It seems they left this out. That's a huge part of it. They essentially are just using the new pump then.

        It looks like XDI will have the first real upgrade for EVERY model of B58.
      1. Kern417's Avatar
        Kern417 -
        Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
        It seems they left this out. That's a huge part of it. They essentially are just using the new pump then.

        It looks like XDI will have the first real upgrade for EVERY model of B58.
        Yep. They took a pump from the TU engine, modified it to fit, and then had to tune for the higher voltage requirements so pressures translated properly. The XDI pump should be more plug and play and probably have more headroom. Also more $$$ though.
      1. Solid67's Avatar
        Solid67 -
        Is the fuel pump really the only component that allows the TU motor to support 600+whp on the stock fuel system? Or are there other upgrades to the TU fueling system as well? Seems like if you are sticking with hybrid turbos, the TU fuel pump seems to be the way to go.