Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

10 false apocalypse predictions

Kind of getting tired of hearing about this end of the world stuff but here are 10 predictions that were proved to be bunk:

1. 1284. When the Pope decrees something, people tend to listen. And they did, in 1213, when Pope Innocent III wrote that “the end of this beast is approaching, whose number, according to the Revelation of Saint John, will end in 666 years, of which already nearly 600 have passed.”

2. February 20, 1524. German scholar Johannes Stöffler was better at math and astronomy than he was at predicting the apocalypse. His calculations concluded that Noah had the right idea when he built that ark, because a flood of epic proportions was going to engulf Earth on February 20, 1524. People panicked when a light rain did begin to fall on that day, but it amounted to nothing but puddles.

3. Between March 21, 1843, and March 21, 1844. In 1822, Baptist preacher William Miller vaguely stated that he believed the “second coming of Jesus Christ is near, even at the door, even within twenty-one years – on or before 1843,” based on his interpretations of the book of Daniel. As he shared his views, he developed a rather large group of followers, cleverly dubbed “Millerites.” Though reluctant, Miller eventually set a more precise set of dates at the urging of his followers: namely, the 365 days between March 21, 1843, and March 21, 1844. When the last date came and went, Miller wrote to a friend, “The time, as I have calculated it, is now filled up; and I expect every moment to see the Savior descend from heaven. I have now nothing to look for but this glorious hope.” That’s when he recalculated.

4. April 18, 1844. Miller based this one on a different Jewish calendar, saying he had miscalculated a bit. Guess what? The world didn’t end. Though Miller’s followers were becoming a tad bit skeptical, he sustained them for a few more months by stating that the rapture had started – they were just experiencing a period of time called “tarrying,” which was kind of like sitting in the waiting room before you go in to see the doctor. Finally, Miller analyzed his calculations one more time, coming up with…

5. October 22, 1844. And that’s when the vast majority of Miller’s followers abandoned him, experiencing “the Great Disappointment.” People were so angry and disappointed that Millerite churches were burned to the ground, some followers were tarred and feathered, and one group was attacked by a mob wielding knives and clubs.

6. 1910, with the appearance of Halley’s Comet. French astronomer Camille Flammarion predicted that a seven-tailed comet was coming to Earth, and gas from the comet’s tail would “impregnate” the Earth’s atmosphere, setting it and all of its inhabitants ablaze in a fiery explosion.

7. 1981 (-ish). Back in 1978, pastor Chuck Smith determined that “the generation of 1948 is the last generation,” but also admitted that he “could be wrong.” Turns out he was.

8. March 10, 1982. That was the day the Jupiter Effect was going to happen – when major planets would align on one side of the sun, causing nature to go nuts. A massive earthquake at the San Andreas fault was going to totally obliterate L.A. When the date came and went with nothing but high tides being a teeny bit higher than usual, the man who generated all of the hype, Dr. John Gribbin, published a book called The Jupiter Effect Reconsidered. By 1999, Gribbin was renouncing his theory entirely, saying “I’m sorry I ever had anything to do with it.”

9. September 11, 12 or 13, 1988. Edgar Whisenant, a former NASA engineer, was so sure about his calculated date that he wrote a book called 88 Reasons Why the Rapture Will be in 1988 and boldly stated, “Only if the Bible is in error am I wrong.” When he was, in fact, wrong, he published The final shout: Rapture Report 1989, followed by the less-certain 23 reasons why a pre-tribulation rapture looks like it will occur on Rosh-Hashanah 1993 and And now the earth’s destruction by fire, nuclear bomb fire.

10. October 28, 1992. A Korean group known as Mission for the Coming Days was so adamant in their belief that the world would end just before Halloween in 1992 that they spent money to warn people in the U.S. via billboards, posters and other advertising.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

AHAHAHHA! Your funny sticky, you really dont want people thinking its gonna end huh?
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Twinturbom3 Click here to enlarge
    Keep on jealousing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dOpEdUpM3 Click here to enlarge
    Your funny sticky, you really dont want people thinking its gonna end huh?
    Post counts will go down...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

lol thats what your worried about!
    Keep on jealousing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    there are probably 100+ end of days predictions, that are obviously wrong.. but it only takes 1 correct one..,

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I'll start the next one for you haha.

11. December 21 2012...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't forget Y2K -- lots of people thought computers were going to spontaneously implode, and aircraft were going to fall out of the sky.
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

I think something big will happen it will change the world from what it is now, but it wont be a total human extinction.
    But then again a big asteroid can come down and wipe us all tonight and we wont even know it happened.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I almost feel bad for these people. They are so convinced they are traveling around the country trying to get people to repent and such.

Click here to enlarge

link
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

i see a lot of money making in the whole apocalypse thing just like religion and donations.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blkclk550 Click here to enlarge
    i see a lot of money making in the whole apocalypse thing just like religion and donations.
    +1.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Now there's also Harold Camping's predictions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Someone just posted this on FB. Not sure why though

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Ok, so how exactly do we make money off it?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

i know a few people that make millions from running a donations company , since we all know only about 20% of donations make it to the ones in need. example red cross. Rest is to pay the staff and CEO lol.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I always look at people who state some kind of date as wacko's. Hi 5
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I was told at one point psychologically it boils down to ego. Why are we so special that after all these years it will happen in our lifetime?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

i know a few people that make millions from running a donations company , since we all know only about 20% of donations make it to the ones in need. example red cross. Rest is to pay the staff and CEO lol.
    I'll remember that next time I think of giving a dollar. Only 20 cents of it really goes to charity.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by e92 Click here to enlarge
    I'll remember that next time I think of giving a dollar. Only 20 cents of it really goes to charity.
    20 cents would be the limit in some cases only 5 cents make it. why you think i don't donate? cause i know how all that $#@! works.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

That bit of info will save me a lot of money and guilt.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by e92 Click here to enlarge
    Negative. The American Red Cross (there are 3+ red cross organizations) is approximately 90% to said charity work. Link

I'm not disputing that there are many messed up 'non-profit charities' out there, but no reason to generalize and target one that's doing the right thing. Charities that make over I believe $25,000 have to report to the IRS pretty in depth. Again, there's nothing that says they can't pay themselves crazy salaries, but there are organizations that monitor these people and you can easily make an informed decision. The Combined Federal Campaign has a nice screening process and pamphlet that covers how much they give away vs. their overhead costs.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I think we as humans need no help from any higher powers--we're doing a pretty good job of ruining this world everyday on an epic scaleClick here to enlarge
    Eventually, nuclear waste/fallout, millions of gallons of oil spewing out into the sea, enormous toxic islands of waste floating in the ocean (e.g. Great Pacific Garbage Patch), franken-food, etc. will catch up with us all and as the world population continues to grow and people live longer, we'll have more problems and less resources = more wars and more instability.Click here to enlarge
    Hopefully, I will be fully decomposed by the time this stuff comes to fruition--I do feel for my children and the world they inherited.
    I figure it's best to be prepared and well educated so that if the $hit does hit the fan we'll be better off than most.Click here to enlarge

Wow this is an uplifting topic, thanks StickyClick here to enlarge
    2011 C63 ///AMG / BLK on BLK / P31 / LSD / CF Trim / Keyless Go / Rear Camera / All the other stuff too!!
    Click here to enlarge
    2011 X3 2.8 Vermillion Red/Black loaded

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Well said.
    Keep on jealousing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

RE: the corrupt charity thing .. I totally agree that many have got out of control in recent times.

There is always a big 'food drive' at Christmas here, but recently they have been saying "Please don't donate food - only money". Guess they realized that they can't pay themselves $$$$$$ with a tin of baked beans.

I have actually wrote to several big charities in recent times, asking how much of each dollar actually makes it to the people who need it, and none have been able to give me a straight answer. Some don't even bother to answer at all.

From now on I guess I will only donate physical items that they need, and not money. The problem with that of course, is that many charities are shady about what they actually need!
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

All i know is, I got my .308 winchester on bipod ready incase zombies start marching towards my house... I can pick them off from 300 yards.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast