Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

N55 JB+ Track Times

Hey guys,

Had a lot of fun at the track last night testing out the N55 and was able to put down some pretty respectable numbers with the JB+ considering the conditions. It's amazing how well the N55 responds to this simple tune!

The car is our 2011 135i DCT. Only mod is the N55 JB+ beta. I ran on my daily driver tires which are 245/45 Nittos. The car had around 1/3 tank of 91 octane to start, later 2/3 tank of ~97 octane, and I weigh 210. To offset some of the driver/fuel weight I removed the 50# passenger seat. Track conditions were very meh with a DA of 2200' most of the night. Traction was OK although I wasn't able to manage better than a 2.0 60' time with the launch control.

After a couple runs I added in some 100 octane to get up to around 97, cranked the JB+ up a bit, and saw some decent improvements. I'll explain what the adjustment dial does in a later post but it's not really a case of the higher setting always giving you more power so don't go cranking the dial up unless you're doing tuning with means to monitor your performance.

Anyway timeslips are attached. One thing I learned at the track is that the DCT is not a durable transmission. Once my MPH went up to around 110 there was noticeable transmission/clutch slippage going down the track. The launch control is also poorly done and somewhat useless if getting a good 60' is your objective. You can't even do burn outs with this transmission. All in all I give the DCT a big FAIL. If you enjoy drag racing and/or plan to make big power do yourself a favor and avoid this transmission. On the plus side with around 315rw on tap on the street the DCT makes the car feel a lot faster than it is with the multiple fast shifts.

I think with more runs a 12.6 would have been possible but the way the event was organized there was some confusion as to when the racing ended, and we all got cut off short. Oh well. Up next I'll be installing the AR downpipe and doing additional dyno and track testing.
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nice numbers terry! great news for the N55 crowd.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    wow very respectable... very good terry nice work
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    You can't even do burn outs with this transmission.
    Why couldn't you do burnouts? Were you trying to hold yourself in place with the brakes?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    All in all I give the DCT a big FAIL. If you enjoy drag racing and/or plan to make big power do yourself a favor and avoid this transmission.
    You just need practice. I got it down to the point I was clicking off 1.7 60 foots and using launch control no problem, with bolt on's though.

Why didn't you use launch control?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    the car freaks out if you try doing a burnout
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mazdaspeed6 Click here to enlarge
    the car freaks out if you try doing a burnout
    Only if you touch the brakes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why couldn't you do burnouts? Were you trying to hold yourself in place with the brakes?
    Exactly. Then if I tried to just floor it the tires wouldn't really spin. Then sometimes the launch mode would decide it didn't want to turn on when I was sitting at the lights trying to stage. So awesome. =/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You just need practice. I got it down to the point I was clicking off 1.7 60 foots and using launch control no problem, with bolt on's though.

Why didn't you use launch control?
    All the runs above were with LC but with the 135/335 DCT you can't adjust the RPM. It's always around 3500rpm.

I couldn't believe it was slipping with only ~320rw/360rq in a light weight 135i.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mazdaspeed6 Click here to enlarge
    wow very respectable... very good terry nice work
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom
    Nice numbers terry! great news for the N55 crowd.
    Thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Exactly. Then if I tried to just floor it the tires wouldn't really spin. Then sometimes the launch mode would decide it didn't want to turn on when I was sitting at the lights trying to stage. So awesome. =/
    Heh, yes, it isn't exactly consistent.

To burn out, you really need a line lock. That made all the difference for me. It also helps on the line when engaging launch control which I assume rolls forward even for the N55.

Launch mode won't turn on if you just used it, so, you need to wait or drive around a little bit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    All the runs above were with LC but with the 135/335 DCT you can't adjust the RPM. It's always around 3500rpm.

I couldn't believe it was slipping with only ~320rw/360rq in a light weight 135i.
    Ok, I believe you on not adjusting RPM. That is pretty lame but likely done because the 335 has a lower redline and to preserve the driveline. Anyway, 3500 is plenty compared to the auto.

Not sure why it was slipping on you, that is odd. But still, upgraded clutch discs are going to be useful it seems.

For the record, even with SC, never slipped on me so I am surprised.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    655 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No doubt I could work through the DCT issues... But is a customer who buys one of our tunes for $279 to have some fun going to want to tear apart his breaks to install a line lock or R&R the transmission for clutch pack upgrades? Click here to enlarge

The slippage was very surprising. Perhaps mine is just defective. Although I've heard of this from other N54/N55 DCT owners at higher power levels as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    But is a customer who buys one of our tunes for $279 to have some fun going to want to tear apart his breaks to install a line lock or R&R the transmission for clutch pack upgrades?
    If he is serious about drag racing, drag radials and a line lock will be a must. You have plenty of N54 owners getting these items, right?

My advice is if you really want to get the best out of it get the line lock, do a short burnout, and use launch control or if you don't like the way it functions do the mash method. It definitely is harder to drag race than an auto, and isn't as figured out, but if done right it will be faster.

The slippage was very surprising. Perhaps mine is just defective. Although I've heard of this from other N54/N55 DCT owners at higher power levels as well.
    I'm really surprised about the slippage.