Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

** N55 Turbo Upgrade**

I know there are plenty of threads on this same topic being asked, but I want to see if anyone is making any headway in this department.

I'd be willing to give my N55 335i up for testing/fitment to whoever is serious about looking into upgrading our single turbo. I hope all of the big players in this field can chime in, I live in So-Cal , Ventura County but if its not TOO far I'd be willing to drive.

Anyways if anyone is making headway or needs a N55 in order to do so let me know and maybe we can make something happen, I know myself and the N55 community would def like to see this happen. I'm still noob mode on these forums so you can email me at eugene.makarov@yahoo.com or just post on here.Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Ventura, nice, you aren't too far from me.

I'll see who would be willing to tackle this project. Just remember, something like this isn't easy and you would likely be without your car for some time.

Welcome btw.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Thanks and I'm fully aware of the possibility of not seeing my car for a while, but if thats what it takes to crack the issue of upgrading this platforms turbo then so be it.. someone has to do it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by makarov88 Click here to enlarge
    Thanks and I'm fully aware of the possibility of not seeing my car for a while, but if thats what it takes to crack the issue of upgrading this platforms turbo then so be it.. someone has to do it
    I completely agree and like your attitude. Let's make it happen and see who is willing to tackle it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i like this Click here to enlarge
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Talk about dedication, props! I haven't seen anything concrete, but you're heading in the right direction Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Still waiting on someone who may want to tackle this project or can point me in the right direction of who might want to take this on!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by makarov88 Click here to enlarge
    Still waiting on someone who may want to tackle this project or can point me in the right direction of who might want to take this on!
    AR Design is one.

And... well that is it for now. I would try them first for now and see what they say.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Rob Beck might be looking into upgrading the turbo for the N55 (a rumor). A thread over on N54tech has him showing interest in the turbo for the N55... But that's all it is, interest, nothing concrete as of now..
    2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Shorty Headers, Custom Exhuast, M.M. 87mm Throttle Body, DiabloToona Custom 93 Oct Tune, 190* Thermostat, Seibon CF Grille, 6.4 CAM, Inertia M.S Ported Cylinder Heads
    Pending Mods: T/A Hood, S/C

2011 X5 35i Premium: Black Grille, Boopie Custom 3" Dual Exhaust & Custom N55 FMIC, JB3 (+3psi)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FLYING X5 Click here to enlarge
    Rob Beck might be looking into upgrading the turbo for the N55 (a rumor). A thread over on N54tech has him showing interest in the turbo for the N55... But that's all it is, interest, nothing concrete as of now..
    From what I have read seems the N55 desperately needs a larger turbo.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

It definitely does. I would volunteer to have my Twin Scroll upgraded (or at least get a clipped ver, like the N54 had before the RB and other turbo upgrades came out), but unfortunately being full time military and having to drive everywhere in the State of NY, makes it near impossible to let go of the SAV for extended amounts of time. Nor could I justify to the wife why the truck is gone for a month or two...

I yanked my JB3 Stg 1 out and I immediately noticed a difference... Click here to enlarge

Have to take "The Beast" in for service... Their's an SI B for Long Cranks... We'll see if it's HPFP or Injector related.. Also need oil change (yeah i know I can do it myself, or have my favorite Mechanic Matt do it), but it's time for that Annual Oil Change.
    2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Shorty Headers, Custom Exhuast, M.M. 87mm Throttle Body, DiabloToona Custom 93 Oct Tune, 190* Thermostat, Seibon CF Grille, 6.4 CAM, Inertia M.S Ported Cylinder Heads

2011 X5 35i Premium: Black Grille, Boopie Custom 3" Dual Exhaust & Custom N55 FMIC, JB3 (+3psi)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

I would volunteer to have my Twin Scroll upgraded (or at least get a clipped ver, like the N54 had before the RB and other turbo upgrades came out)
    its great to see the enthusiasm for a turbo upgrade from N55 owners. i am actually surprised because all n55's should still be under warranty Click here to enlarge however i can see you havn't been in the n54/n55 game very long, or maybe your memory fails you. clipped turbine wheel turbo upgrades for the n54 actually came after a couple companies came out with 'stage 2' upgrades (full chra, modified stock housings, turbine/comp wheel upgrade). the two companies were td and asr. at that time asr was accused of copying td because of pictures showing similar marks on the turbine. uneducated people called it a copy when in fact all it was were balancing marks, done on any proper turbo setup. soon after if i remember right, rob beck came out with his stage 2 and around the same time EPL came out with their comp wheel upgrade with clipped turbine. ams then tried to step up but couldnt beat the top numbers with their setup (because of the clipped turbine) more time passed and we have AWD take on the old ams set-up (not everyone knows this) and add a billet comp wheel. so full chra upgrades were in fact available before clipped turbine wheels. And honestly man, you want a clipped turbine wheel/comp wheel upgrade? its a fail attempt at a turbo upgrade afaiac. a chra upgrade for the n55 is much more realistic than a full turbo upgrade on the level of unfor. good luck guys.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Only been dealing with N54/55 since '09, so two years, which isn't much time ( Bought '08 335xi in Jun 09, upgraded to '11 X5 in Aug 10)... I would much rather prefer a full turbo upgrade than clipped.

My memory may have failed me as I wasn't really tracking the turbo upgrades as something I was willing to do on my 335 when I had it. But if I had to choose between the two on current availability, clipped seems like an easier project to tackle (although an upgraded turbo would be a better option), than un-welding and re-welding a new turbo onto the manifold of the N55, as that is how they at BMW deemed it to be best for the N55 (Turbo and manifold are one piece as well as an integrated DV in the manifold housing). I guess I'll leave the more technical aspects of how to accomplish this to the experts..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Only been dealing with N54/55 since '09, so two years, which isn't much time ( Bought '08 335xi in Jun 09, upgraded to '11 X5 in Aug 10)... I would much rather prefer a full turbo upgrade than clipped.

My memory may have failed me as I wasn't really tracking the turbo upgrades as something I was willing to do on my 335 when I had it. But if I had to choose between the two on current availability, clipped seems like an easier project to tackle (although an upgraded turbo would be a better option), than un-welding and re-welding a new turbo onto the manifold of the N55, as that is how they at BMW deemed it to be best for the N55 (Turbo and manifold are one piece as well as an integrated DV in the manifold housing). I guess I'll leave the more technical aspects of how to accomplish this to the experts..
    that's cool man, sorry if i came off as harsh, just want to nip misinformation in the butt when i can Click here to enlarge im glad you prefer a full upgrade, im sure everyone would if price wasn't involved Click here to enlarge, and thats exactly why you're right when you say the clipped wheel is the easier project. not only is it easier, but its cheaper for the consumer, but more importantly is especially cheap for the providing company.

as for the n55, a chra upgrade is very possible, you just need the right engineering and tuning to pull it off. you cant half ass it on any aspect or it wont be reliable. and btw, inside the manifold (i assume you mean exhaust mani, talking about the turbo side) is the wastegate, not the dv, your dv is attached to your chargepipe on the 'cold side' of the engine.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

My turn to nip some mis-info in the butt Click here to enlarge and I quote from the N55 manual:

The basic function of the diverter valve remains the same. The difference compared to
    the N54 engine is that the diverter valve is not operated pneumatically. The diverter valve
    on the N55 engine is an electric actuator that is controlled directly by the DME.

The number of components has been greatly reduced by positioning the diverter valve on
    the turbocharger compressor housing.

I wish I could show you the picture from the N55 manual...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

okay interesting, so there is a diverter valve in/on the compressor housing? thats news to me but pretty interesting, ill do some research. but when you said 'Turbo and manifold are one piece as well as an integrated DV in the manifold housing' it was a bit misleading as the turbine housing and manifold (exhaust mani) are one piece, but the compressor housing, can be removed without touching the turbine. and according to your latest post the compressor housing is where the dv lies, not the manifold (intake or exhaust).
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I have the n55 manual, i could send it to you so you can see what i am talking about...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

It's the newest tech from Borg Warner. You can have your recirc port directly through the compressor housing.

An EFR 7064 on the N55 would be nice. You can get it internally waste-gated too. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    as for the n55, a chra upgrade is very possible, you just need the right engineering and tuning to pull it off. you cant half ass it on any aspect or it wont be reliable. and btw, inside the manifold (i assume you mean exhaust mani, talking about the turbo side) is the wastegate, not the dv, your dv is attached to your chargepipe on the 'cold side' of the engine.
    The DV on the N55s is now part of the compressor housing...I found this out myself when I had the N55 apart for all of E90post to see (if anyone remembers that thread...it made the Homepage which I was very proud of Click here to enlarge )

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

if you read the further posts you would see it was worked out, he let me know about the dv on the comp housing. it was his wording that threw me off, its possible english isn't his first language.
    (Turbo and manifold are one piece as well as an integrated DV in the manifold housing).
    so when he said manifold housing it threw me off, because right before he said the turbo and mani are one piece, i know you know this, but for his sake its the turbine housing and (exhaust) mani that are the same cast piece, not the comp housing.
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    I found this out myself when I had the N55 apart for all of E90post to see (if anyone remembers that thread...it made the Homepage which I was very proud of )
    Grrrr.....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

if you read the further posts you would see it was worked out, he let me know about the dv on the comp housing. it was his wording that threw me off, its possible english isn't his first language.
    Grrrr.... Born and Raise in the USA since 1979... Click here to enlarge

BUt that's besides the point... I wasn't sure how to phrase it... Matt is more technical than I, I was only speaking from what I could see from the Manual and understand in my non mechanic mind... (give me computer hardware and I can work magic), thats why we have Matt...

I remember the thread Matt...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

how about we solve the fueling issue before trying to push more boost into a motor that cant handle it anyway.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    how about we solve the fueling issue before trying to push more boost into a motor that cant handle it anyway.
    The N55's problem isn't fuel at the moment.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

its great to see the enthusiasm for a turbo upgrade from N55 owners. i am actually surprised because all n55's should still be under warranty Click here to enlarge however i can see you havn't been in the n54/n55 game very long, or maybe your memory fails you. clipped turbine wheel turbo upgrades for the n54 actually came after a couple companies came out with 'stage 2' upgrades (full chra, modified stock housings, turbine/comp wheel upgrade). the two companies were td and asr. at that time asr was accused of copying td because of pictures showing similar marks on the turbine. uneducated people called it a copy when in fact all it was were balancing marks, done on any proper turbo setup. soon after if i remember right, rob beck came out with his stage 2 and around the same time EPL came out with their comp wheel upgrade with clipped turbine. ams then tried to step up but couldnt beat the top numbers with their setup (because of the clipped turbine) more time passed and we have AWD take on the old ams set-up (not everyone knows this) and add a billet comp wheel. so full chra upgrades were in fact available before clipped turbine wheels. And honestly man, you want a clipped turbine wheel/comp wheel upgrade? its a fail attempt at a turbo upgrade afaiac. a chra upgrade for the n55 is much more realistic than a full turbo upgrade on the level of unfor. good luck guys.
    Actually you are mixing Racing Dynamics and Turbo Dynamics. Racing Dynamics offered the turbos looking like ASR and people were thinking they originated from the same person whoever supplied the turbos for these companies. I don't know anyone actually purchasing RD turbos, so Icannot say much about them. TD came later then RB and looked just like RB... The "stg 2" naming you used originates from TD since they had stg1 with clipped wheel first and after that stg 2.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast