Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb Meth and BOV thoughts....

Hi guys, I was pondering about this issue.

In a manual car with a BOV + meth, while the meth is activated and you shift, the tb close, meth stop injecting and BOV opens . The meth that it’s still on the charge pipe will vent out; to my understanding. This should cause any issue were the meth get sprayed?

I don’t feel too comfortable know some highly flammable liquid is venting on my engine bay.

Most of the guys running meth are using stock diverter valves. This will recycle the meth into the turbo so there is no issue.

Please post your thoughts about this.

Thanks
    DreX

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I asked exactly this question a while back, the consensus seemed to that it is nothing to worry about, but I am not convinced, how about the DV dumping meth into the turbos pre compressor? I have seen scary pics of what dropplets can do to the compressor wheel Click here to enlarge but it seems safer than possibly igniting a cloud of meth Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

no worries for either situation
    unless your spraying 100% meth, and have someting on fire under the hood, its really a non-issue. Its going to evaporate too quickly , added to the amount air being rushed in at those speeds. ive not heard of, nor seen in my own usage, anything to worry about..

BUT, you will see it cover some engine bay parts and thats a pain to keep cleaning every so often..

as for DV recirculating back to turbo's, it physically cant happen. the dv recirculate so far away from the turbo's, it would have to be similar to the JFK single bullet theory, defying physics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I guess I'm being paranoid here Click here to enlarge I am waiting for getting the car back from my BMW paintshop, some idiot in a Volvo managed to reverse into my front bumper...even though he had a park assist system and some 2-3 feet between the cars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
    I guess I'm being paranoid here Click here to enlarge I am waiting for getting the car back from my BMW paintshop, some idiot in a Volvo managed to reverse into my front bumper...even though he had a park assist system and some 2-3 feet between the cars.
    as soon as I get it back I'll install my CM kit using the stock charge pipe and DVs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

If you are not comfortable and just want to be extra safe make sure you add a good % of water to the mixture. Why not just be safe and have peace of mind?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I was talking to Michael at ETS yesterday, he was telling me they had a car go up in flames when the BOV vented methanol into the engine bay.

Moral of story: if you run more than 50% meth - put your bungs AFTER your BOV!
    Click here to enlarge
    sales@ardesign.info | tel. 303.351.3515| www.ardesign.info
    Powering some of the world's fastest BMWs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ar design Click here to enlarge
    I was talking to Michael at ETS yesterday, he was telling me they had a car go up in flames when the BOV vented methanol into the engine bay.

wow, thats crazy, ive got one post fmic and one pre TB, im gonna have to figure something out..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ar design Click here to enlarge

I am kindof worried about this because I am pretty sure the synapse BOV stays open a good bit.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

wouldnt a ricer bov filter be able to catch/disperse this though? its funny, i was just tired of cleaning it so much i was thinking of buying one, but now i have a real reason to do it

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    wouldnt a ricer bov filter be able to catch/disperse this though? its funny, i was just tired of cleaning it so much i was thinking of buying one, but now i have a real reason to do it
    how much meth gets in your engine bay?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

eh, i dont know really. i just notice the water spots left when i open th bay up, its not TOO bad, but its a pain to keep cleaining

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    eh, i dont know really. i just notice the water spots left when i open th bay up, its not TOO bad, but its a pain to keep cleaining
    What kind of BOV are you using?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

stett pipe and synapse BOV

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I want to install a meth kit (have a coolingmist pump and a Snow Performance progressive controller already) but the issue of venting meth out on the engine bay is not appealing to me. I was planning to put the injector after the BOV but still the remaining meth trapped on the pipe will vent out, at least some of it. The best "safe" place to mount seems to be on front of the tb but that is not the optimal for uniform distribution. :/

I have an idea but don’t know how feasible is to do it. If a pipe/hose is placed in the BOV exit point and route it outside of the car. Ether under the car or a suitable exit point.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

its not really a major issue, but if you want to try it, go ahead and report back

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sadly that will take a while. I dont have all the meth kit components. Besides I still debating on get the pro fuel controller for my standback. I beleive is the best way to go in my case. I can dial the meth to perfection with it.

But I will look under the hood for feasible solutions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Okay so here is a possible solution. I dont know where to blow off valve sits on everyone else's chargepipes, but mine sits very close to the throttle body. The lower intercooler piping (piping between intercooler and chargepipe) is not complicated at all, so what if a new pipe was made and the bung for the injector was right after the intercooler?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Gbreee90 Click here to enlarge
    Okay so here is a possible solution. I dont know where to blow off valve sits on everyone else's chargepipes, but mine sits very close to the throttle body. The lower intercooler piping (piping between intercooler and chargepipe) is not complicated at all, so what if a new pipe was made and the bung for the injector was right after the intercooler?
    That sounds like the AR meth elbowClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

That sounds like the AR meth elbowClick here to enlarge
    The AR elbow does not connect to the intercooler.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I have a question, I just ordered my DP's and I was going to get an FMIC fabbed then get a meth kit installed. But I talked with a guy that works at Ray Korman's shop (don't know how famous he is), but he said that it's super corrosive and shouldn't really be used unless I want to clean and rebuild my engine every few years. Any opinions? I can start my own thread, but this reminded me of the conversation I had with him. Thanks guys...
    BimmerBoost's Resident n00b...Click here to enlarge

Titanium Silver 2003 335 Ci || Premium Package || Sport Package || SOLD
    Sapphire Metallic Black 2008 535i || Custom Mandrel Bend Borla Exhaust || BMS Spacers || CMS Pro Meth Kit || JB4 || BMS DCI || SOLD
    Alpine White 2012 C63 Coupe || AMG Development Package || Multimedia Package || Lighting Package || LEASE ENDED
    Alpine White 2015 M3 || Driver Assistance Plus || Executive Package || Lighting Package || M Double-clutch and Adaptive M Suspension ||

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

post fmic, never seeps into fmic to corrode it, same for the motor, im pretty sure we dont have an aluminum block, so also no worry there

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Like this:
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

ok, but if the charge pipe is full of meth and air, the throttle closes, the bov opens, you still have as much meth released anyway. Or am I missing something here?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

ok, but if the charge pipe is full of meth and air, the throttle closes, the bov opens, you still have as much meth released anyway. Or am I missing something here?
    More time for atomization.
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast