Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Golf Tee Exhaust Mod...and my unique solution

At Sticky's request, I'm starting a thread on this popular modification.

Many forums/threads have been dedicated to the "Golf Tee" exhaust modification. Many BMW's have a vacuum actuated valve on one of the two exhaust outlets which opens upon startup and higher engine loads. I believe it is required for some European drive-by sound requirements.

Since the valve is normally open (springs open until applied vacuum closes it) simply removing the pneumatic tube at the actuator keeps the valve open for additional sound. The car will diagnose a problem if there is a vacuum loss on the line so, originally, people would just stick a golf tee in the line, hence the name "Golf Tee Mod". Various threads will make suggestions about things that can be stuck in there (bb's, etc). The key is complete blockage and reversibility.

My variation on this idea was to put a small needle valve in the line. I picked up one from the aquarium supply area of a local pet store. I simply removed the pneumatic tube from the actuator and plugged it into one side of the valve and used a short length of air line to connect the other side of the valve to the valve's actuator. Open the valve for OEM operability (quiet at low load). Close the valve for more sound. I'll try to get a picture of it tonight and add it to this thread.

On my 135i with the N55 the difference is significant and it sounds great. Low rev. and low load growl, burble and pops are intoxicating. Most people think I have an aftermarket exhaust.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Great, do you have any video/sound clips of the difference? I know from a cold start on my 335i, the modification of leaving the vacuum flap open, results in a much louder exhaust note, which quiets down after it warms up, but the difference is quite significant on cold starts.

I'll have to take a video some day, but instead of doing "mods", I just unplugged the actuator plug in the trunk.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OP - Cool I thought I was the only one that saw this as better than the other golf tee mods out there... I did it to my N55 e90 a few weeks back as well and have been enjoying it. The flexibility to open the needle valve for a long highway trip to go back to stock/quiet exhaust versus closing the needle valve the rest of the time is the best part. FYI, I also used a 1/4" needle valve with a butt-joint to the actuator's port. It comes out clean. Great minds think alike it seems. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    Great, do you have any video/sound clips of the difference? I know from a cold start on my 335i, the modification of leaving the vacuum flap open, results in a much louder exhaust note, which quiets down after it warms up, but the difference is quite significant on cold starts.

I'll have to take a video some day, but instead of doing "mods", I just unplugged the actuator plug in the trunk.
    Isn't unpluigging it all thats required?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FWIW - Unplugging the actuator appears to be good option only in the 335, but it is not as accesssble in the 135.