Close

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
    arghh... my poor bandwith. looks great PEI. think things will be sorted out intime for the season?
    I'm starting the doubt the car will be on the road in 2011.

That's not to say that I'm disappointed in that, just that I'm doing more with my family, and less with cars this year. The result is that I'm having a hard time justifying to myself spending 10+hrs a day at the shop playing on my free days like I used to. Now I spend 2 hrs, and I feel like I need to get home, and I'm content at that.

Lots of cool stuff on the go though...I'm doing something with the fuel system that's a little new for an E46.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The IPT rebuilt transmission waiting for a chance to prove itself:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

There's a custom cooling system for it that I'll be detailing later.

Here's the first bits of the fuel system:

Click here to enlarge

Some would think showing the above picture is "showing off" a bit.

This is showing off:

Click here to enlarge

I've got thousands of dollars in fittings for who knows what....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    what are the plans for fuel? that pump is huge, so is the regulator, lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    The IPT rebuilt transmission waiting for a chance to prove itself:
    What is it built to take?
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dreikraft Click here to enlarge
    what are the plans for fuel? that pump is huge, so is the regulator, lol
    In short, I'm going to run an external surge tank.

That pump is about 1/2 the size of an A1000, and the regulator is actually average in size.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    What is it built to take?
    IPT quoted me 600+ Hp

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I love your style Click here to enlarge Hope to see more soon good luck Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Looks really good Adam. I know how you feel about not being able to get the car up and running. I've been waiting for an eternity to get parts for my 528. Decided to go a slightly different route with an auto as well.

Curious - are you going to use the stock transmission controller or something aftermarket? I've been looking into this and really like the idea of picking up a standalone tranny controller so I can have a similar interface as the stock BMW SMG II cars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bimmerdude Click here to enlarge
    Looks really good Adam. I know how you feel about not being able to get the car up and running. I've been waiting for an eternity to get parts for my 528. Decided to go a slightly different route with an auto as well.

Curious - are you going to use the stock transmission controller or something aftermarket? I've been looking into this and really like the idea of picking up a standalone tranny controller so I can have a similar interface as the stock BMW SMG II cars.
    I'm going to see how the rebuilt transmission works with the stock controller/software, and go from there. If I don't like it, I'll be using data logs to inform ESS what changes I would like with their software. (I had Asbjorn write custom software for me before for the 330Ci)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm going to see how the rebuilt transmission works with the stock controller/software, and go from there. If I don't like it, I'll be using data logs to inform ESS what changes I would like with their software. (I had Asbjorn write custom software for me before for the 330Ci)
    How much control does ESS have? Shift points, line pressures? Lockup points (not that you'll probably be running any lockup at the track)?

I've been ogling the DIYautotune controller, its only a couple hundred bucks and would give me full shift control over the 4l80e, but I haven't been looking for very long (might have a better option for just a bit more).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I find it interesting you will be using ESS for transmission software. Look forward to seeing how that plays out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I find it interesting you will be using ESS for transmission software. Look forward to seeing how that plays out.
    With so many upgrades available, I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen ANYONE trying to play with autos besides Cardcounter and PEI. I mean, I like the manuals, but for as many drag racing members as we have it just shocks me. I have one of the better performance auto rebuilders in the country right in my backyard, so my options are a bit more open I guess, but...still shocks me, especially with all the clutch issues we have. A built 4l80e with converter is going to cost me less than the clutch assembly I'd need to hold that power level and still be drivable (twin disc).

I guess its because the BMW tuning on the tranny's is soft, and the valve bodies aren't built to shift fast but instead smooth. Given a few upgrades I think we'll see some people actually believe in these suckers...ESS should have control over anything that Adam would want to mess with, just not as convenient as a standalone controller would be for tuning purposes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    With so many upgrades available, I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen ANYONE trying to play with autos besides Cardcounter and PEI. I mean, I like the manuals, but for as many drag racing members as we have it just shocks me. I have one of the better performance auto rebuilders in the country right in my backyard, so my options are a bit more open I guess, but...still shocks me, especially with all the clutch issues we have. A built 4l80e with converter is going to cost me less than the clutch assembly I'd need to hold that power level and still be drivable (twin disc).
    You raise a good point. I think the problem is not many guys are serious and take things to high levels like this. Most BMW guys don't hit the strip, they hit the forums instead.

ESS should have control over anything that Adam would want to mess with, just not as convenient as a standalone controller would be for tuning purposes.
    This is my line of thinking as well but I look forward to seeing what he does.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Waiting anxiously for updates!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MC330CI Click here to enlarge
    Waiting anxiously for updates!!!
    Block is getting put together by my engine guy, and the new ported head is getting cleaned up a bit and having the new valves/springs etc installed.

I might have some time the end of June to work on this again, so that's pretty much it until then.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Subscribed!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have a situation where I might be keeping my 2005 330i auto... What are my transmission options? Thats the main reason its been bone stock for the last 5 years.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    I have a situation where I might be keeping my 2005 330i auto... What are my transmission options? Thats the main reason its been bone stock for the last 5 years.
    Bump, would like to know as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by klipseracer Click here to enlarge
    Bump, would like to know as well.
    I've got a different opinion that's for sure.....

I think you can probably have the tranny last if you know what you are doing. Basically, if you drive it like a manual
    and you don't apply power until after it's shifted. (Manual shifting) If you want to let the transmission shift itself, that's where you get some stress. It's the gear changes that kill transmisions...that and heat.

IPT is the only game in town right now for upgraded BMW auto transmissions. I don't know what they do....but they stand behind their work. So far the one guy that's got one on his 330i with 13psi of boost is a happy duck. My own take on this is that they've cryo treated everthing inside, upgraded the clutch packs, as well as upgraded the torque converter internals. My tranny came back from them looking like stock...including the torque converter, and I'm yet to see how it all works.

The one thing that I think is critical for any auto tranny is managing heat. The OEM piece has an oil to water heat exchanger attached to the radiator coolant reservior, that I think probably does a decent job at OEM power levels. I'm in the midst of adding a second air to oil cooler too the coolant circuit, with a thermostat for oil recirculation, and a thermostat controlled fan. To do this, I'm changing the coolant lines over to AN, and remote mounting the air to oil cooler in the fender.

My experience with the race car (330Ci) made me realize it's just as bad to overcool...so I'm being a bit more cautious about cooling the trans oil. It uses engine heat via the oil to water heat exchanger to help bring it up to operating temp more quickly, and keep oil closer to optimal temps without a thermostat.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    IPT is the only game in town right now for upgraded BMW auto transmissions. I don't know what they do....but they stand behind their work. So far the one guy that's got one on his 330i with 13psi of boost is a happy duck. My own take on this is that they've cryo treated everthing inside, upgraded the clutch packs, as well as upgraded the torque converter internals. My tranny came back from them looking like stock...including the torque converter, and I'm yet to see how it all works.
    Do they do work for the N54 as well? Link?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Last edited by PEI330Ci; 05-22-2011 at 02:53 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I guess I should list the specs of this build:

Turbo
    The Turbo started life as a Garret T3 with a journal bearing center section using 360 degree thrust bearing. The cold side comprised of a T04E compressor housing fit over a 60 trim compressor wheel. The hot side used a Stage 3 turbine wheel and a T31 .63 A/R turbine housing.

With increased power goals, I sent the turbo out for a full rebuild. The compressor wheel was changed to a 60-1 trim piece, and the compressor housing was machined to fit the new compressor wheel. On the hot side, I had the turbine housing changed to a .82 A/R piece which would be able cope with the increased airflow of the new engine package.

Methanol
    Howerton Engineering supplied the Meth system for the project. It comprises of an HFS-6 kit, all braided SS -4 AN lines, dual injection nozzles, and one of Howerton’s dual/baffled Meth tanks with LED backlighting.

Nitrous
    WON Nitrous system (Specifications undisclosed)

Fuel System
    This is where things get a bit tricky.

The car will be using an OEM fuel tank with an OEM fuel pump. The fuel pump outlet will be plumbed with a -6 AN line to a custom surge tank mounted under the trunk. At the top of the surge tank will be a -6 AN drain-back line connected to the factory fuel return inlet on the OEM fuel tank. The system will essentially keep the surge tank filled with gas, while maintaining the OEM fuel level sensors, and tank evap system. (Emissions control devices)

The surge tank will feed an Aeromotive #12316 100 micron fuel filter with a -8 AN line, followed by an Aeromotive #11106 fuel pump. The pump outlet will connect an to a Aeromotive #12301 10 micron fuel filter, which will then feed fuel to the engine compartment via -6 AN line. An Aeromotive A1000-6 FPR will then have a -6 AN bypass line going back to the top of the Surge tank. So that’s fuel system #1 to supply the engine.

Fuel system #2 is for the nitrous system, and I won’t discuss that yet.

Boost Control
    On the hot side the engine will use an AMS-500 to control boost with a Tial 38mm wastegate. On the cold side, a Synchronic BOV will be plumbed to recirculate using existing points on the Technique Tuning kit supplied intake piping. The boost/vacuum lines for the entire engine compartment will be from Synapse as well with their Boost Connect system.

Intake Manifold
    OEM M54B30 manifold with the OEM crank-case vent system/oil vapor seperator removed. A Moroso breather tank fed by -8 AN line from the valve cover will take care of crank case pressure.

Cylinder Head
    Complete port reshaping on the intake and exhaust sides. The intake ports have been ovalized, and designed to work with 1mm oversized intake valves. The exhaust ports have also been slightly ovalized, but designed to work with OEM valve sizes. A competition valve job was done for all 24 valve seats, and the deck skimmed to perfectly flat mirror surface. I’ve posted flow numbers for this head elseware, but they don’t really tell the tale of the port design on the head. That will show up on the dyno once the engine is up and running. (It’s not a peak flow head)

Valvetrain
    34mm Stainless Steel intake valves, and 30.5mm Inconel exhaust valves. Valve springs, seats, and titanium retainers are all from Schrick. The package is designed for 12mm of peak lift, and operating RPM up to 9000. Also from Schrick are the cams: 272/256 hydraulic lifter pieces with 10.9mm lift on the intake side and 10.5mm lift on the exhaust.

Engine Block
    OEM M54 block bored and honed to 84.5mm for CP 8.5:1 pistons. Rods are OEM M54B30 pieces with ARP cap bolts. The Main bolts and 10mm head studs are from Raceware. Main bearings and rod bearings are OEM pieces sent to Calico for coating. The crank is the OEM 89.6mm stroke piece that has been rebalanced for the lighter piston assemblies. Oil pump is an OEM core with a custom machined input shaft and sprocket assembly. The harmonic damper will be a custom piece from ATI which will retain the 2nd drive pulley for the A/C system.

Engine Management
    OEM engine management system (MS43 DME) tuned by Nick G of Technique Tuning.

Transmission
    IPT rebuilt OEM transmission with custom converter.

Differential
    Custom 3.64 LSD with asymmetrically ramping center carrier using 8 clutch discs. This is a race piece that I sent back to the manufacturer to have toned down for street use. Not something I’d normally recommend for a street car….
    Last edited by PEI330Ci; 06-18-2011 at 05:17 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That is a very nice rundown of everything you have done.

Any particular ball park power figure you are shooting for?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    BMW should hire PEI and let him be the chief engineer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That is a very nice rundown of everything you have done.

Any particular ball park power figure you are shooting for?
    Thanks. It's certainly not everything, but it's the main stuff.

My power goals are torque based: A smooth 400+rwtq across a wide RPM range to start with. Then I have some development ideas to work on that will not change the total power output, but will change how the powertrain runs.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    BMW should hire PEI and let him be the chief engineer.
    I'd love to work directly for BMW developing powertrains. Problem is, I have this other career that's pretty good....it would be hard to give it up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    My power goals are torque based: A smooth 400+rwtq across a wide RPM range to start with. Then I have some development ideas to work on that will not change the total power output, but will change how the powertrain runs.
    I see. What from what was listed still needs to be done or isn't installed yet? Tuning?

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast