Close

Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Got bored of the N54 forum. This thread is $#@!ing epic. Great work dude!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    Got bored of the N54 forum. This thread is $#@!ing epic. Great work dude!
    Thank you
    Rep Points > Posts since 2010

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    We want more updates!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hnic357 Click here to enlarge
    We want more updates!
    And I would like the time to be able to make some progress.

On the up side, it looks like I'll be celebrating New Years twice this year as I fly across the Pacific...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Keepp building.... more updated pics haha

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

This is my favorite thread EVER! Keep up the good work and thank you VERY MUCH for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

I've had 2 days this past week where I've been able to spend a couple of hours in the shop. That's the good news...

The bad news is that I can't seem to get the transmission to fit back onto the engine properly. The focus of my frustration:

Click here to enlarge

The issue is that the when installing the torque converter into the transmission, it doesn't go in all the way and I can't figure out why. I've literally had the transmission sitting vertical trying...and have brought in a 2nd pair of eyes to see if I was missing something. The bottom line: The mounting tabs that get bolted to the flex plate are only sitting 23mm inwards of the transmission housing face, and they need to be sitting 28+mm. I even tried removing the cover inside of the bell housing to have a look at the oil pump internals, but I didnt' get very far without the right tools.

This next week when I have a chance, I'm going to take the transmission to local transmission repair shop for help.

But I have made progress in other areas, like finishing the plumbing of the turbo:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Then I decided to put the engine back into the car without the transmission to work on plumbing and exhaust pieces:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

On a side note, I've got a bin full of brand new OEM fasteners for everything that I didn't like the look of. The problem with this is remembering what I ordered....because it was a year ago, and I haven't worked on the car like this in over 6 months. Some of the bits I can identify by sight, but others I have to dig into www.realoem.com to figure out what I've got. Here's an example:

Click here to enlarge

These are the front subframe bolts, pretty easy to pick out.

So with the engine bolted in, I started working on the waste gate pipe:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

More bits for the Wastegate pipe:

Click here to enlarge

The idea here is to install an exhaust manifold pressure sensor, and an EGT probe right next to the waste gate flange where it bolts to the cast iron turbo manifold. I realize that normally you mount these sensors directly into the exhaust manifold. But, with the manifold being cast iron, I didn't like the idea of an NPT joint on something that gets really hot. So the SS waste gate pipe seemed like an easy adaptation to weld the fittings onto.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So everything measures perfectly yet it just won't fit? I can see how that is frustrating. Curious to see what the shop says.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    So everything measures perfectly yet it just won't fit? I can see how that is frustrating. Curious to see what the shop says.
    What I have measured, and what I have looked at with the naked eye seems right. I have spent hours at this...a sequence that should take 15min max to complete including final fastener torque. My suggestion to the local shop will be to pull the oil pump cover, and see if they can get the depth required of the torque converter with the oil pump assembly removed. If they can't, then I may have to ship the transmission back to IPT for them to troubleshoot.

I hate to think it, but I may have damaged something on a previous installation for mock up?

On a positive note, I might have an arrangement come through that sees more time available for me to work on the car during the week. Fingers crossed...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The IPT torque converter you reference above, is that a factory unit modified by IPT or IPT's own, sourced unit? I'm just wondering if an OEM converter and the IPT converter are dimensionally the same.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jbfrancis3 Click here to enlarge
    The IPT torque converter you reference above, is that a factory unit modified by IPT or IPT's own, sourced unit? I'm just wondering if an OEM converter and the IPT converter are dimensionally the same.
    I don't know.

It is supposed to be a re-worked torque converter (Higher stall speed) as part of the complete transmission package. The converter I sent out with the transmission was painted brown, and the one I received back from IPT was grey. I'm assuming they cut open my OEM one, modified it, and then painted it after welding it back together.

To be clear, at this point all I know is that I can't get the torque converter to sit far enough into the transmission housing so that it mates up to the flex plate. It might be entirely my method of assembly...and I just need to try harder. We'll see.....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

For anyone looking for more information on this transmission.

It is known as an A5S325Z from BMW, or a 5hp19 from ZF.

Some great info below on the internals:

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    I don't know.

It is supposed to be a re-worked torque converter (Higher stall speed) as part of the complete transmission package. The converter I sent out with the transmission was painted brown, and the one I received back from IPT was grey. I'm assuming they cut open my OEM one, modified it, and then painted it after welding it back together.

To be clear, at this point all I know is that I can't get the torque converter to sit far enough into the transmission housing so that it mates up to the flex plate. It might be entirely my method of assembly...and I just need to try harder. We'll see.....
    I usually have the tranny on the bench. I fill up the TQ alittle bit and slid it on the shaft. Supporting it on the bottom of the TQ converter. I will Press and Rotate the TQ Converter until I feel its fully on the splines. (It will go in about another inch after the first time around.) The TQ will sit almost flush to the Oil Pump of the Tranny. When mating to the Engine. Usually have to pull it away from the tranny and towards the flexplate. Hope this help.

Also IPT uses the Stock Converter and cut it open. Then Rebuild with HQ parts and upped the Stall.

-Anthony

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer Click here to enlarge
    I usually have the tranny on the bench. I fill up the TQ alittle bit and slid it on the shaft. Supporting it on the bottom of the TQ converter. I will Press and Rotate the TQ Converter until I feel its fully on the splines. (It will go in about another inch after the first time around.) The TQ will sit almost flush to the Oil Pump of the Tranny. When mating to the Engine. Usually have to pull it away from the tranny and towards the flexplate. Hope this help.

Also IPT uses the Stock Converter and cut it open. Then Rebuild with HQ parts and upped the Stall.

-Anthony
    Anthony,

We've tried what you list above, with multiple people including a transmission repair guy.

I've even gone so far as to get the technical specs of ALL torque converters used by newer BMWs to see if maybe I was sent the wrong one. So far, this doesn't look to be the case.

What I'm working on now is the assembly specifications, to see if the input shaft is not fully seated into clutch assembly.

Will keep you informed on how it goes...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Whatever you do, don't start hitting things with a hammer.

Click here to enlarge

Guess who gets to pull the transmission again...

Hope you get yours figured out. As I was banging my head against the wall last night, my wife was telling me that it's a project. I'm supposed to have fun and laugh at things like this. I suppose she's right.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I hear ya Brady...lately it seems like I've been going backwards...with everything.

The turbo inlet pipe won't fit after installing the steering rack and sway bar...and because of that the charge pipe on the turbo outlet might need to be re-done. Then I installed one of the FCABs...and found that the waste gate pipe won't fit properly. (Was using the heat shield for mock up...but it was bent)

With the transmission, I'm now seriously looking at stripping it down to find what the clearance issue is. I don't have to go all the way down, but I'll need to remove the pan and valve bodies, as well as pulling the input shaft and clutch assemblies attached to that. At least I'll learn more about the transmission internals....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Transmission is torn down, and I found the problem.

I damaged something during mock up, but I can fix it.

Pictures to follow.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What was damaged?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Transmission is torn down, and I found the problem.

I damaged something during mock up, but I can fix it.

Pictures to follow.
    Let me Guess...

The oil pump assembly cover is cracked and the teeth on it are damaged. The input shaft itself fits into the t/c completely fine but the second set of splines that are part of the oil pump cover is not?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer Click here to enlarge
    Let me Guess...

The oil pump assembly cover is cracked and the teeth on it are damaged. The input shaft itself fits into the t/c completely fine but the second set of splines that are part of the oil pump cover is not?
    Nothing is cracked.

Will show pictures shortly.

On the up side I've been able to evaluate the oil pump assembly and oil cooling setup. My initial plans were not optimal, and I now have a chance to fix that. Very excited about this....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nothing is cracked.

On the up side I've been able to evaluate the oil pump assembly and oil cooling setup. My initial plans were not optimal, and I now have a chance to fix that. Very excited about this....
    Keep up the great work Adam!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nothing is cracked.

Good news Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Pics pics pics!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I am completely at fault for the clearance issue; the result of trying to put the transmission onto the engine without having the 2 aligned properly.

My process was to put the transmission on a chair, then positioned the engine against the transmission with the engine hoist. (Working alone) Even with the leveling block keeping everything in-line, the transmission was still "clocked" or tilted a bit which required some shinanigans to get 1, then 2...then 4 main bolts on. Somewhere during this process, I think the torque converter slipped forward and off of the stator spline. Then in the process of tightening the 4 main bolts down, I ran the miss-alinged splines against each other causing damage to one side.

To the naked eye, you really have to be looking close under a lot of light to see the damaged splines. The splines also need to clean and clear of assembly grease and/or transmission fluid. Some of the pictures I'm showing below involved some very expensive professional macro photography equipment, and a long time setting up the shots. Please don't expect to be able to replicate this yourself without some serious effort.

The stator spline mentioned is the outer (larger) shaft shown below:

Click here to enlarge

The spline teeth are roughly 1mm wide each:

Click here to enlarge

And here you can start to see the damage I've mentioned above:

Click here to enlarge

Closer:

Click here to enlarge

Here you can see the fractures in the metal structure:

Click here to enlarge

Because of what I've found in these images, I will be taking this part to be re-machined and polished. I think trying to use a file to open up the splines would work for assembly purposes, but there would possibly still be stress fractures that could fail at a later point. Once I get the part back from machining/polishing, I'll be taking more photographs of this area to check that it looks OK.

I'll address the oil system shortly, as there is still a fair amount of research I need to do. (Both with hard parts, and also from a theory and calculation standpoint)

Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast