Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Time Travel to be tested at Vanderbilt University

I'm going to send messages to myself in the past with the winning lottery numbers:

The world's largest atom smasher, the Large Hadron Collider, could be the first machine capable of causing matter to travel backwards in time. Vanderbilt University physicists are now armed with what they believe is the ability to prove the unprovable, the potential to jump into a fifth dimension.

It's the latest theory of Professor Tom Weiler and graduate fellow Chui Man Ho that using the Large Haldron Collider is key.
    "One of the major goals of the collider is to find the elusive Higgs boson: the particle that physicists invoke to explain why particles like protons, neutrons and electrons have mass. If the collider succeeds in producing the Higgs boson, some scientists predict that it will create a second particle, called the Higgs singlet, at the same time." reports Vanderbilt's research news.

Weiler and Ho thing these singlets should have the ability to jump into an extra, fifth dimension where they can move either forward or backward in time and reappear in the future or past.

"One of the attractive things about this approach to time travel is that it avoids all the big paradoxes," Weiler said. "Because time travel is limited to these special particles, it is not possible for a man to travel back in time and murder one of his parents before he himself is born, for example. However, if scientists could control the production of Higgs singlets, they might be able to send messages to the past or future."

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I'm going to send messages to myself in the past with the winning lottery numbers:
    i'm writing a message to myself in the past : NEVER MEET THAT GIRL AGAIN , SHE WILL RUIN YOUR FUTURE.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    i'm writing a message to myself in the past : NEVER MEET THAT GIRL AGAIN , SHE WILL RUIN YOUR FUTURE.
    And the question is: Would you believe yourself?

I actually saw a documentary about this on Discovery HD Showcase a few weeks ago.
    Whatever they will send, is's gonna be mighty small...
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If you believe for one second you can GO BACK IN time or forward in time you need some serious help. I make Time I made the pass and I decide the future. So If they go back in time I will still be doing what im doing in the future and had already done what i did in the past, So you mean to tell me there is another me constantly repeating the past? lmfao dumbest thing ever!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i heard tachyons are the only particles to travel back in time, ive also heard about the higgs, but those are sub atomic particles right? it'll be interesting to see what comes out of it, and if they fire it in 2012 Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 600whp S4 Click here to enlarge
    If you believe for one second you can GO BACK IN time or forward in time you need some serious help. I make Time I made the pass and I decide the future. So If they go back in time I will still be doing what im doing in the future and had already done what i did in the past, So you mean to tell me there is another me constantly repeating the past? lmfao dumbest thing ever!
    time travel in to the future is possible so why not try the past ?
    If we cant travel to the past but we can send the messages, imagine how fast human race will advance... we will have technology from thousands of years ahead.
    We would be bale to cure cancer, diseases, grow organs and eliminating the need for donors and rejection.
    Just because something is hard to understand does not mean it's impossible.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    All Higgs particles are still theoretical for now. We still have to wait for CERN to produce 1.
    First they have to produce a Higgs particle, the Higgs boson is a subset from that one, and (also theoretically) it can travel in the 5th dimension.

Sorry S600whp S4, you are way too big to travel in time Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blkclk550 Click here to enlarge
    time travel in to the future is possible so why not try the past ?
    If we cant travel to the past but we can send the messages, imagine how fast human race will advance... we will have technology from thousands of years ahead.
    We would be bale to cure cancer, diseases, grow organs and eliminating the need for donors and rejection.
    Just because something is hard to understand does not mean it's impossible.
    Travel back in time and you would end up in a parallel universe, where all the matter is slightly shifted in time,and thus creating parallel universes.
    Furthermore, there would be no way to return to the universe you started from.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    Travel back in time and you would end up in a parallel universe, where all the matter is slightly shifted in time,and thus creating parallel universes.
    Furthermore, there would be no way to return to the universe you started from.
    Agreed thats why i highly doubt we will ever use a human, but if we can send messages it would impact human race more than just sending a person back in time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    interesting topic. i thinks its safe to say, the only time travel thread on any car forum. lol

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Steve@SSP Click here to enlarge
    interesting topic. i thinks its safe to say, the only time travel thread on any car forum. lol
    before someone brings GOD in to the argument then people will catch feelings.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    GOD!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    O God no....Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Long live the Norman Freeman documentaries Through the Wormhole on Discovery HD Showcase Click here to enlarge

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Long live the Norman Freeman documentaries Through the Wormhole on Discovery HD Showcase Click here to enlarge
    AMEN!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yeah but imagine a life that everyone can travel between past and present , it sucks. everyone tries to send lottery numbers and get rich so no one works , no one does the bad thing ....
    just sucks.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    yeah but imagine a life that everyone can travel between past and present , it sucks. everyone tries to send lottery numbers and get rich so no one works , no one does the bad thing ....
    just sucks.
    most likely we wont be able to interact with the past, we will be able to see it and be there like watching a movie.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by blkclk550 Click here to enlarge
    most likely we wont be able to interact with the past, we will be able to see it and be there like watching a movie.
    in that case it's good for losers who stick to the past and want to live with it . stick to the present and let the good/bad memories go if you want to be successful in life.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    in that case it's good for losers who stick to the past and want to live with it . stick to the present and let the good/bad memories go if you want to be successful in life.
    I think time travel will be used for historical education, we would be able to see how the Egyptians built the pyramids and many other historical events.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    not to be a stickler for details... or an ass... but i'm sure its Morgan Freeman Click here to enlarge

and as for god... well... lets not jump into that topic lol that kind of crap starts wars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Steve@SSP Click here to enlarge
    not to be a stickler for details... or an ass... but i'm sure its Morgan Freeman Click here to enlarge

and as for god... well... lets not jump into that topic lol that kind of crap starts wars.
    You are quite right. On both occasions. That's why I had theClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ok google search professor Ronald Mallett. He was the first one to actually tangibly attempt time travel. He wrote many post doc papers on the subject and is from the university of connecticut.

His father died when he was like 10, it effected him so greatly, that he became a doctor in theoretical physics to try and discover means for time travel. a lot of people think hes bogus, but he actually did come up with a theory that may end up being true. Using circular light beams he is able to create regions of space that can send/receive data to different points in time.

600 whp s4 you should read a little bit about the theory of relativity before you say time travel is impossible. Time is a vector quantity that goes in one direction, thats all it is. That vector although pointing in one direction has different lengths depending on the gravitational field you experience which can slowdown/speed up time for the observer/bystander. This means that time does not go in the same speed for everyone and that it may not necessarily go in the same direction for everyone; either.

Time dilation is a fundamental law of physics proven by einstein, which means time is not constant everywhere in the universe, it is only relative. You can manipulate it just like you can manipulate matter and energy, we just dont know how, yet.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 600whp S4 Click here to enlarge
    They have gone back in time on Star Trek like 6 times, it's fine.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast