Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Chevy taking a cheap shot at BMW, Ferrari, and Porsche regarding ALMS

              
   
  1. #1
    Sticky's Avatar
    Sticky is offline Regular User
    Status: work
     

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    97,782
    Rep Points
    23,143.9
    Mentioned
    1429 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    232


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Chevy taking a cheap shot at BMW, Ferrari, and Porsche regarding ALMS

    Chevrolet released this video touting how they have to turn down the power in their car to go racing in ALMS against Porsche, BMW, and Ferrari. Yes, the ZR-1 is a powerful car but what is with the cheap shot Chevy? Your ALMS motor is based on the Z06, not the ZR-1. Secondly, didn't BMW beat you last year with less displacement and start off this year winning Sebring in 1st and 2nd? Maybe you need the extra power.

    Click here to enlarge

    Chevy commercial:


    Details on the ALMS motor, 5.5 liter based on the LS7, not LS9:

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Twinturbom3
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You look like a retarded teenager discovering internet.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,110
    Rep Points
    1,928.1
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    20


    Reputation: Yes | No
    great marketing, most people dont know this stuff. And american cars are know for Power
    Current:
    13 E92 M3 ZCP
    - WSIR 1:33:9 / BW C13 2:03:5 / ACS 1:56:7
    (Stock besides wheels/tires - Rs3)
    WSIR 1:32:8 / BW C13 1:59:2 / ACS 1:55:1
    (KW ClubSport 3 way / Rs3)
    WSIR 1:30:9 / BW C13 1:57:7
    (above plus Apr Wing)

  3. #3
    Sticky's Avatar
    Sticky is offline Regular User
    Status: work
     

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    97,782
    Rep Points
    23,143.9
    Mentioned
    1429 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    232


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    great marketing, most people dont know this stuff. And american cars are know for Power
    It's cool, but it isn't even really accurate.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Twinturbom3
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You look like a retarded teenager discovering internet.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,110
    Rep Points
    1,928.1
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    20


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's cool, but it isn't even really accurate.
    Since when is marketing accurate! I thought marketing is just to sell products by any means, thats why on every commercial you have that tiny text at the bottom (the only honest part). Or take medicine marketing...a pill for restless leg syndrome, yet it can cause dizziness, nausea, vomitting, internal bleeding, loss of sight and death! LOL Or birth control pills that give you clear skin!
    Current:
    13 E92 M3 ZCP
    - WSIR 1:33:9 / BW C13 2:03:5 / ACS 1:56:7
    (Stock besides wheels/tires - Rs3)
    WSIR 1:32:8 / BW C13 1:59:2 / ACS 1:55:1
    (KW ClubSport 3 way / Rs3)
    WSIR 1:30:9 / BW C13 1:57:7
    (above plus Apr Wing)

  5. #5
    Sticky's Avatar
    Sticky is offline Regular User
    Status: work
     

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    97,782
    Rep Points
    23,143.9
    Mentioned
    1429 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    232


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Since when is marketing accurate!
    Well, usually it is. Like when talking about your racing program... that is kind of a major thing to get wrong when you don't even talk about the Vette with the motor you are racing. People are smarter than they give them credit for. I don't think that is a fair correlation because this isn't discussing side effects, it is discussing facts they know.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Twinturbom3
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You look like a retarded teenager discovering internet.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    277
    Rep Points
    144.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    So what. Plastic car that started off the year with a loss.Click here to enlarge

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,887
    Rep Points
    1,406.3
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by deemo319 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So what. Plastic car that started off the year with a loss.Click here to enlarge
    My bmw's have plastic bumpers also. Whats your point?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Honolulu
    Posts
    135
    Rep Points
    193.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Good marketing. Translation= power aint everything... but if they have difficulty with the class I'm sure they're welcome to step up.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,887
    Rep Points
    1,406.3
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    I don't see anything wrong with the ad. They basically just saying their road car has 168ph more than the alms car. Which is true. I dont really see it as a shot at bmw. All the teams can produce more hp in alms than they are allowed.

    I think they will win the 24 hrs Le Mans. Last year was their first full season with the new GT2 car. Their team is a machine, team and personal wise the best in the series.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    38
    Rep Points
    29.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Great Commercial.

  11. #11
    Sticky's Avatar
    Sticky is offline Regular User
    Status: work
     

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    97,782
    Rep Points
    23,143.9
    Mentioned
    1429 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    232


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see anything wrong with the ad. They basically just saying their road car has 168ph more than the alms car. Which is true. I dont really see it as a shot at bmw. All the teams can produce more hp in alms than they are allowed.

    I think they will win the 24 hrs Le Mans. Last year was their first full season with the new GT2 car. Their team is a machine, team and personal wise the best in the series.
    It's a veiled shot basically saying they have to turn their power down to race the other makes, implying they are much weaker. It would be great if their road car referenced resembled their race car but it doesn't.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Twinturbom3
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You look like a retarded teenager discovering internet.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,453
    Rep Points
    1,848.9
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    It's not that I see something "wrong" with the ad... It's really informative and great - except for the part where it starts to remind me of those commercials where they sell "Golden Eagle Coins" (hope I am not the only one noticing these commercials) which are completely worthless in comparison to what they attempt to portray to the elderly, non-educated, etc. on television. Click here to enlarge

    They are not only saying that their road car has 168 more horsepower (the difference between the LS5.5R V8 and the LS9 then some) than their race car does... They are also alluding to something along the lines of "just to be fair to Porcshe, Ferrari and BMW, we had to dial our ZR1 engine back"...

    In the commercial, the problem is when they say something similar to: "when they (Chevy) wanted to race the 638 HP Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 against Porsche, Ferarri and BMW - they were asked to dial it back, OH around 168 horsepower… You know, just to be fair."

    In all reality, this is complete and utter bull$#@! - they simply were following the rules; they did not come rolling into the series asking/saying "we are using this 6.2 liter supercharged engine/engine that makes more power than is allowed in the series, is this okay, or will we need to detune so we can be fair? If they wanted to run a supercharged engine ( la ZR1 engine), they would have been "told" to make it 4.0 liters; if they wanted to use an NA engine, they would be told they could have 5.5 liters of displacement.

    They are not mentioning anywhere in this commercial that a 6.2 liter supercharged ZR1 engine (the "detuned" engine they are alluding to) is not allowed in the class they are "asking" to be in. Since a HUGE percentage of the general public does not know the rules (probably no one knows them all), and since it "sounds about right", people will go ahead thinking that Ferrari, BMW and Porsche have a serious power disadvantage unless Chevy plays fair by detuning their ZR1 engine. In reality is completely untrue… THIS is the problem with the commercial.


    So far, the M3 has taken 1st and 2nd over the "detuned ZR1" (3rd and 4th) as shown on this Corvette website (you know... just to be fair) Click here to enlarge
    http://www.corvetteracing.com/


    Cheers.

  13. #13
    Sticky's Avatar
    Sticky is offline Regular User
    Status: work
     

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    97,782
    Rep Points
    23,143.9
    Mentioned
    1429 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    232


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They are not only saying that their road car has 168 more horsepower (the difference between the LS5.5R V8 and the LS9 then some) than their race car does... They are also alluding to something along the lines of "just to be fair to Porcshe, Ferrari and BMW, we had to dial our ZR1 engine back"...
    Exactly!

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inlineS54B32 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They are not mentioning anywhere in this commercial that a 6.2 liter supercharged ZR1 engine (the "detuned" engine they are alluding to) is not allowed in the class they are "asking" to be in. Since a HUGE percentage of the general public does not know the rules (probably no one knows them all), and since it "sounds about right", people will go ahead thinking that Ferrari, BMW and Porsche have a serious power disadvantage unless Chevy plays fair by detuning their ZR1 engine. In reality is completely untrue… THIS is the problem with the commercial.
    There we go Click here to enlarge This is my point.
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Twinturbom3
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You look like a retarded teenager discovering internet.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    279
    Rep Points
    0.3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Marketing. Simply the rules say this much power and weight and etc. not saying hey Chevy you make to much power sooo, decrease it.

    BMW should hit back with a commercial saying... "hey Chevy, BMW doesnt need 5.5 liter engines to make 480 hp. race engines." As for the ZR1, BMW could say something like, "hey Chevy, BMW built a n/a 630 hp 6 liter 20 years ago, and we didnt need a supercharger to do it." BTW F1>ZR1 anyway, anyday!

    This is what companies that are constantly behind and chasing instead of leading have to do. Click here to enlarge Audi

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,887
    Rep Points
    1,406.3
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see anything wrong with the ad. They basically just saying their road car has 168ph more than the alms car. Which is true. I dont really see it as a shot at bmw. All the teams can produce more hp in alms than they are allowed.

    I think they will win the 24 hrs Le Mans. Last year was their first full season with the new GT2 car. Their team is a machine, team and personal wise the best in the series.
    Yup, called it.

    Corvette Racing is built for the 24hr race. They are a well oiled machine.

    I liked how they sandbagged in qualifying. You could tell on the first lap they were right on the pace.

  16. #16
    Sticky's Avatar
    Sticky is offline Regular User
    Status: work
     

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    97,782
    Rep Points
    23,143.9
    Mentioned
    1429 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    232


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yup, called it.

    Corvette Racing is built for the 24hr race. They are a well oiled machine.

    I liked how they sandbagged in qualifying. You could tell on the first lap they were right on the pace.
    Early on in the race it looked like the Vette couldn't match the M3 though. Nice job by Chevy, excellent racing and hey, they won with an ex-BMW driver.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Deland, FL
    Posts
    165
    Rep Points
    273.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Early on in the race it looked like the Vette couldn't match the M3 though. Nice job by Chevy, excellent racing and hey, they won with an ex-BMW driver.
    Drivers change makes, cars don't. Chevy won. .

  18. #18
    Scorpion's Avatar
    Scorpion is offline Member
    Status: Habib Sheik Sultan III
     
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    648
    Rep Points
    1,437.9
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    It's on like donkey kong.
    Click here to enlarge

  19. #19
    Sticky's Avatar
    Sticky is offline Regular User
    Status: work
     

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    97,782
    Rep Points
    23,143.9
    Mentioned
    1429 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    232


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bimmerdude Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Drivers change makes, cars don't. Chevy won. .
    Well, ALMS should be a lot more interesting now.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,887
    Rep Points
    1,406.3
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Early on in the race it looked like the Vette couldn't match the M3 though. Nice job by Chevy, excellent racing and hey, they won with an ex-BMW driver.
    The other Vette should have won, it was much faster than the number 73 car that won. The 74 car had over a 1 lap lead the entire race, when Magnussen decided pull a stupid pass early in the morning. 74 car was 2 laps up on the winning Vette, when he wrecked.

    Really could have been a vette 1-2 finish, if not for a driver mistake.

    When it comes to the 24hrs, I no longer care about the bimmers. I like for an american team to go over there and kick some ass. They have done it for years in the old GT1 class.

  21. #21
    Sticky's Avatar
    Sticky is offline Regular User
    Status: work
     

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    97,782
    Rep Points
    23,143.9
    Mentioned
    1429 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    232


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When it comes to the 24hrs, I no longer care about the bimmers. I like for an american team to go over there and kick some ass. They have done it for years in the old GT1 class.
    I can understand this and I'm way happy about the Vettes. The French are rather arrogant about "their" race so I certainly take some pride in Chevy winning it. BMW did well, the M3's are amazing and these vettes would be faster if they were allowed more displacement.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •