Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    At this point my best bet I think is to go tomorrow to AR designs and take lots of pictures of everything and measure the vband sizes if I can and see where we go from there.
    Thing is, that is uncharted territory and the tuning will be the major hassle. Has anyone even established the S63 turbo parts won't work on the N63?

Being that this is my first BMW I'm not sure with what quality these engines are built.
    The N54 has forged parts so I don't see why the N63 wouldn't either. Just don't know if the rods, pistons, and crank are all forged or just some of them. The M3 has all forged internals for example.

We'll see cause another issue is gonna be seeing if this engine can even take 20psi+ without being opened up.
    I have no doubt it is capable of that.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

As long as the pistons are forged we should be good to go. I do eventually expect to find out the limits of the stock motor(by blowing it probably) just hopefully not for three years. After that my RB will be a track only car and this will be the new project and I'll get a new DD.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Really looking forward to following your build. Good luck and keep us updated!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Roberts turbo upgrade runs about $3200 right now, 5k was for the ASR units that no one else got I believe...im sure putting upgraded wheels inside the stock housings would be more than enough for this car to handle for the time being. No one knows the limits of the N54 yet, and the RBs are capable of 26psi supposedly..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    Roberts turbo upgrade runs about $3200 right now, 5k was for the ASR units that no one else got I believe...im sure putting upgraded wheels inside the stock housings would be more than enough for this car to handle for the time being. No one knows the limits of the N54 yet, and the RBs are capable of 26psi supposedly..
    Well said.

Upgraded wheels have been done for the X6 M already so I'm sure it is possible for this car as well:

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...Wheels-by-ALSA
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...724-hp-N63-S63
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Here are some crappy pictures I took of the turbo and exhaust housing setup. My camera sucks at close ups and I had the wrong lens plus its pretty tight in there.

Exhaust Housing with the Garrett info, perhaps someone can find out exactly what member of the GT22 series these are
    Click here to enlarge

The exhaust Manifolds with the Vband flanges
    Click here to enlarge

Another View of the turbos and Exhaust Manifolds
    Click here to enlarge

The Mystery sensor revealed? After seeing that each turbo has one I'm thinking its a boost control solenoid.
    Click here to enlarge

Ceramic wheel? Say it aint so BMW!
    Click here to enlarge

took a few more but they are pretty useless(not that these are much help!) maybe whenever this motor finally gets home to me and I get bored and brave I'll pull them off and the exhaust manifold.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Here are some crappy pictures I took of the turbo and exhaust housing setup. My camera sucks at close ups and I had the wrong lens plus its pretty tight in there.

Exhaust Housing with the Garrett info, perhaps someone can find out exactly what member of the GT22 series these are
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...IMG_2647-1.jpg

The exhaust Manifolds with the Vband flanges
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...IMG_2640-1.jpg

Another View of the turbos and Exhaust Manifolds
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...IMG_2637-1.jpg

The Mystery sensor revealed? After seeing that each turbo has one I'm thinking its a boost control solenoid.
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...IMG_2645-1.jpg

Ceramic wheel? Say it aint so BMW!
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...IMG_2639-1.jpg

took a few more but they are pretty useless(not that these are much help!) maybe whenever this motor finally gets home to me and I get bored and brave I'll pull them off and the exhaust manifold.
    Great pics! Post em all, these aren't useless at all.

What does a ceramic wheel mean for power potential?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    It's not so much for the power potential as for the durability at high boost. I'll post more pics soon

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

It's not so much for the power potential as for the durability at high boost. I'll post more pics soon
    I take it due to heat, correct?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jim I see you have been at it relentlessly. Going for the big gains with bolt ons vs. ECU tune onlyClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I take it due to heat, correct?
    Actually being ceramic you'd think they would take to heat pretty well. From what i've read its the pressure put on the fins spinning at crazy high speeds, the ceramic fins cant hold the load and can literally break off ruining the turbo. I've seen several instances of this as the original turbo that came on my current project car(RB25) come with ceramic wheels and the forums are littered with failed wheels. Nissan Replaced them with steel wheels in later years and those turbos are far more durable.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

I don't think they are ceramic, just very 'blasted' from being subjected to so much heat?

And that sensor is indeed a boost solenoid.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by car-fan Click here to enlarge
    Jim I see you have been at it relentlessly. Going for the big gains with bolt ons vs. ECU tune onlyClick here to enlarge
    Yeah I like to play around abit. I actually had the tune figured out I thought but I've been having some discussions on this forum that make me want to try and wait for Procede to come out with an N63 Piggy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    I don't think they are ceramic, just very 'blasted' from being subjected to so much heat?

And that sensor is indeed a boost solenoid.
    Your probably right as that would be some Cheap technology for bmw to by putting on these things.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    New to this board and new to the N63 tuning scene...

So far this is what I have found regarding the stock N63 turbos:

(www) garrettbulletin.com/products/bmw-x6-2

On this other site it references Garrett model number & P/N and also the BMW P/N:

(www) turbo-baltija.com/assets/files/vendors/garrett.html

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Maxx2 Click here to enlarge
    New to this board and new to the N63 tuning scene...

So far this is what I have found regarding the stock N63 turbos:

(www) garrettbulletin.com/products/bmw-x6-2

On this other site it references Garrett model number & P/N and also the BMW P/N:

(www) turbo-baltija.com/assets/files/vendors/garrett.html
    Good links there, we need to find out the specs for the S63tu turbos.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Ok, after a little more investigation I was able to get some pretty good information:

1) The N63 uses the same P/N turbo for both the right bank and left bank
    2) The S63 has two different P/N's labeled "right" and "left" respectively for each bank
    3) The N63 Garrett model number for each turbo is MGT2256GS
    4) The S63 Garrett model number for each turbo is MGT2260SDL
    5) The Garrett GT Series turbos use the first 4 digits in the model number to identify turbine & compressor wheel diameters in millimeters
    5A) The N63 turbo uses a 22mm turbine wheel and a 56mm compressor wheel
    5B) The S63 turbo uses a 22mm turbine wheel and a 60mm compressor wheel
    6) The letters at the end of each model number are used to designate features of the turbo
    6A) The N63 turbo features a "Compressor recirculation valve" and "Single passage bypass turbine"
    6B) The S63 turbo features a "Single passage bypass turbine", "Dual passage bypass turbine" and "Water
    cooled center housing"

Now need to find the compressor flow maps for each... Back to work!!Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by Maxx2; 03-25-2012 at 09:25 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Ok, after a little more investigation I was able to get some pretty good information:

1) The N63 uses the same P/N turbo for both the right bank and left bank
    2) The S63 has two different P/N's labeled "right" and "left" respectively for each bank
    3) The N63 Garrett model number for each turbo is MGT2256GS
    4) The S63 Garrett model number for each turbo is MGT2260SDL
    5) The Garrett GT Series turbos use the first 4 digits in the model number to identify turbine & compressor wheel diameters in millimeters
    5A) The N63 turbo uses a 22mm turbine wheel and a 56mm compressor wheel
    5B) The S63 turbo uses a 22mm turbine wheel and a 60mm compressor wheel
    6) The letters at the end of each model number are used to designate features of the turbo
    6A) The N63 turbo features a "Compressor recirculation valve" and "Single passage bypass turbine"
    6B) The S63 turbo features a "Single passage bypass turbine", "Dual passage bypass turbine" and "Water
    cooled center housing"

Now need to find the compressor flow maps for each... Back to work!!Click here to enlarge
    Very nicely done but I believe the S63tu and S63 turbos are different.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Very nicely done but I believe the S63tu and S63 turbos are different.
    Thanks. I am looking for the differences between the X5M (S63) and X5 50i (N63) at this point. The M5 (S63tu) turbos will come later...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Thanks. I am looking for the differences between the X5M (S63) and X5 50i (N63) at this point. The M5 (S63tu) turbos will come later...
    I see, did not realize you were aware they are different.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

I think all this stuff will be on hold for a while....especially modding them. I got word that the 5.0s are eating up timing chain guides like mad and spitting pieces all over the engine. No sense in doing DPs if your motor will be replaced under warranty lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@AUTOCouture Click here to enlarge
    I got word that the 5.0s are eating up timing chain guides like mad and spitting pieces all over the engine.
    Why is that?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@AUTOCouture Click here to enlarge
    I think all this stuff will be on hold for a while....especially modding them. I got word that the 5.0s are eating up timing chain guides like mad and spitting pieces all over the engine. No sense in doing DPs if your motor will be replaced under warranty lol
    Where did you hear this? Do you have any statistics like number of vehicles impacted, or an SIB reference?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

From the mastertech I work with. We are very close with two dealers and i have an SA in one that comes over all the time. Ill see if I can dig up more info from him.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

From the mastertech I work with. We are very close with two dealers and i have an SA in one that comes over all the time. Ill see if I can dig up more info from him.
    Please do, thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast