Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Forced Induction options for 328i

Well , I'm back again. In my absence i've done something thinking and decided i wanted to either Turbo or Supercharge my 328i . A buddy of mine has a turbocharged 95 M3 and he's pretty knowledgeable when it comes to BMWs and forced induction . I would like you guy's thoughts advice on this also.

i want something that's street-able and not over the top in terms of power . i've looked at two super charger kits , Dinan and Active Autowerke . Dinan claims 258 hp , while Active claims 310 hp. Active seems better since it's cheaper @ $4,400 for the kit . while Dinan is more @ $7,200.

i have little knowledge on turbocharging & supercharging . any feedback would be much appreciated .

thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

328i is what year? It's an M52 I'm thinking?

Honestly, I say you go turbo for the money you are looking it. Way more power and you will enjoy the hell out of it.

If you just want to keep it simple, the SC's aren't a bad way to go.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

it's a 1999 , and you're correct it has the M52 .

that is what Mike was telling me , he basically was telling to put term supercharging out of my mind lol . I'm looking for decent numbers 300whp would be nice , maybe in the future 400whp may be a goal so Turbo is the way to go. He recommended two sites , technique tuning and racers market. The main thing for me is reliability , he seems to not have a problem since both of his cars are turbocharged ( E34 touring (daily) & E36 M3 ) his dad's E36 M3 sedan is also turbocharged.

but yeah , the more feedback from you guy's the better.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

You can easily have a reliable M52 turbo setup. The M52 is a beast when boosted. You will be WAY happier turbo. If you are going to do it, do it right.

A lot of people are fans of TRM. I have no experience with them personally but they have vocal fanboys who love their stuff. Technique Tuning I have some experience with and have spoken with their tuner. They have a nice, solid, reliable, but mild 328 kit. Here is the dyno:

Click here to enlarge

I think those are two very good options. The Technique tuning kit is $7700 though...
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Go with Trm. Best kit on the market.
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

What are the TRM 328 kit specs/details?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You can easily have a reliable M52 turbo setup. The M52 is a beast when boosted. You will be WAY happier turbo. If you are going to do it, do it right.

A lot of people are fans of TRM. I have no experience with them personally but they have vocal fanboys who love their stuff. Technique Tuning I have some experience with and have spoken with their tuner. They have a nice, solid, reliable, but mild 328 kit. Here is the dyno:

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...328_stg2-1.jpg

I think those are two very good options. The Technique tuning kit is $7700 though...
    i've done some reading on the TRM site and i'm pretty sold , especially the price. both kits stage 1 & 2 are both $5,400.00 which is a bargain compared to Technique . The TRM Stage 1 seems more my style at the moment with results at 350whp , but 90% i'm sure down the road i will want more and the stage II max output is over 600 whp .

Mike's two cars and including his dad's M3 sedan are TRM cars. and he has had nothing but good things to say about it , TRM it is.

edit: http://www.racersmarket.net/index.ph...mart&Itemid=93

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GG///M3 Click here to enlarge
    Go with Trm. Best kit on the market.

TRM is my choice , i can't believe i was considering going with Dinan for a supercharger kit (and other performance parts). Dinan's prices are outrageous .

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Apex|000 Click here to enlarge
    i've done some reading on the TRM site and i'm pretty sold , especially the price. both kits stage 1 & 2 are both $5,400.00 which is a bargain compared to Technique . The TRM Stage 1 seems more my style at the moment with results at 350whp , but 90% i'm sure down the road i will want more and the stage II max output is over 600 whp .

Mike's two cars and including his dad's M3 sedan are TRM cars. and he has had nothing but good things to say about it , TRM it is.
    I think you made the right choice. Especially if you get the itch and want more power down the line.

If you do order it let us know. Would like to see the build process and your review of the kit. We don't have anyone with the TRM 328 kit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think you made the right choice. Especially if you get the itch and want more power down the line.

If you do order it let us know. Would like to see the build process and your review of the kit. We don't have anyone with the TRM 328 kit.
    i will definitely do that .

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

What state are you located in?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What state are you located in?
    Texas .

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Does TRM have an OBD II tune out? I couldn't find one on their site and from what I recall they only have tunes for the OBD I cars. I respect what they've done for the market, but I don't believe that a lot of their tunes were developed by them. IMO, NickG is the man to see for an off the shelf turbo kit, especially for an OBD II car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by activ3 Click here to enlarge
    I respect what they've done for the market, but I don't believe that a lot of their tunes were developed by them.
    Who were they developed by then?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Who were they developed by then?

http://e46nonm.com/?p=974

"Zak" also posted this in a thread on Bf.C, but it was quickly shut down when TRM requested it. He has a huge collection of tunes that have been floating around... Come to find out that the majority of the tunes for e36 cars originated from AA, TT, or other companies overseas. Like I said, I respect that TRM has made the e36 market much more affordable for us DIY guys, because it promotes custom turbo kits which is awesome. Mike and Brett are cool guys (although I think the split recently) but they aren't NickG or Karl. In the end it doesn't really matter because their stuff performs, and is priced right, but IMO I'd go with Nick since he's still in the game and his tuning is still on top of it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

http://e46nonm.com/?p=974

"Zak" also posted this in a thread on Bf.C, but it was quickly shut down when TRM requested it. He has a huge collection of tunes that have been floating around... Come to find out that the majority of the tunes for e36 cars originated from AA, TT, or other companies overseas. Like I said, I respect that TRM has made the e36 market much more affordable for us DIY guys, because it promotes custom turbo kits which is awesome. Mike and Brett are cool guys (although I think the split recently) but they aren't NickG or Karl. In the end it doesn't really matter because their stuff performs, and is priced right, but IMO I'd go with Nick since he's still in the game and his tuning is still on top of it.
    That is pretty interesting, very interesting actually.

But how would an E46 tune apply to their E36 tunes?

Maybe I'm not clear on what tune it is that he analyzed there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

But how would an E46 tune apply to their E36 tunes?
    This is all e36 stuff I'm referring to. The tune posted on e46nonm is of a stage II OBD I e36 tune (just posted on e46nonm because it wouldn't get shut down there lol). TRM doesn't do e46 tunes, and Nick only does MS43 and MS45 OBD II tunes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

This is all e36 stuff I'm referring to. The tune posted on e46nonm is of a stage II OBD I e36 tune (just posted on e46nonm because it wouldn't get shut down there lol). TRM doesn't do e46 tunes, and Nick only does MS43 and MS45 OBD II tunes.
    That makes more sense.

Ok, so why was he looking at an E36 tune anyway and how did he get his hands on the Active E36 tune? I'm not surprised their tune would be an evolution out of AA's E36 tune. AA was one of the first to be doing turbo E36 work so I'm sure there are a bunch of tunes floating around with AA bits and pieces in them.

Still, you bring up a very interesting point. It's much easier to make kits now and proclaim to be great after someone does the hard work (the base tune).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Umm all current Trm tunes are on a new blow thru maf. here is a for sale add for obd2 tuned m3 http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1611932

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

That makes more sense.

Ok, so why was he looking at an E36 tune anyway and how did he get his hands on the Active E36 tune? I'm not surprised their tune would be an evolution out of AA's E36 tune. AA was one of the first to be doing turbo E36 work so I'm sure there are a bunch of tunes floating around with AA bits and pieces in them.

Still, you bring up a very interesting point. It's much easier to make kits now and proclaim to be great after someone does the hard work (the base tune).
    He called Karl and asked for some advice. He explained what he was doing and Karl sent him a base tune. I know a bunch of local guys running the TRM tune with no issues. One of my good friends is going pro in XDC drifting next year and he's running a TRM tune for his racecar, it runs great.

Umm all current Trm tunes are on a new blow thru maf. here is a for sale add for obd2 tuned m3
    The blow through tune is almost the same as the draw through one, just with a different maf conversion table and slight fuel changes. I didn't realize they had done OBD II stuff already, good to know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

He called Karl and asked for some advice. He explained what he was doing and Karl sent him a base tune. I know a bunch of local guys running the TRM tune with no issues. One of my good friends is going pro in XDC drifting next year and he's running a TRM tune for his racecar, it runs great.

The blow through tune is almost the same as the draw through one, just with a different maf conversion table and slight fuel changes. I didn't realize they had done OBD II stuff already, good to know.
    Yes Karl did help Mccoy at Trm. To say that Mccoy now lacks skill compared to Nick , or Karl doesn't make sense. Another great thing is being being able run multiple tunes with Trm. Karl is man who smashed the market for the e36. He created the fastest dme tuned bmw e36's in the 1/4 mile from what I remember. I have run the AA 50lbs turbo 35r tune in my car. It was a blast.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

Yes Karl did help Mccoy at Trm. To say that Mccoy now lacks skill compared to Nick , or Karl doesn't make sense. Another great thing is being being able run multiple tunes with Trm. Karl is man who smashed the market for the e36. He created the fastest dme tuned bmw e36's in the 1/4 mile from what I remember. I have run the AA 50lbs turbo 35r tune in my car. It was a blast.
    Who developed the OBD-II tunes at TRM?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Who developed the OBD-II tunes at TRM?

TRM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

The multiple tune option is definitely really nice. No doubt Mccoy knows what he's doing, but I just feel that he's still learning and I'm sure he'll continue to get better and better. It's possible that things have changed since I've last looked at a TRM tune, but the last 60lb injector tune I saw from them had some shortcuts taken. It ran fine but it wasn't the correct method to achieve what they did. Like I said, they're improving and they definitely have the ambition to be one of the top tuners stateside. A fellow drifter and good friend of mine has been running his tune on his race/drift car and it's taken a serious beating with no hiccups at all. Props to Mccoy for making his way in to the OBD II game.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

The multiple tune option is definitely really nice. No doubt Mccoy knows what he's doing, but I just feel that he's still learning and I'm sure he'll continue to get better and better. It's possible that things have changed since I've last looked at a TRM tune, but the last 60lb injector tune I saw from them had some shortcuts taken. It ran fine but it wasn't the correct method to achieve what they did. Like I said, they're improving and they definitely have the ambition to be one of the top tuners stateside. A fellow drifter and good friend of mine has been running his tune on his race/drift car and it's taken a serious beating with no hiccups at all. Props to Mccoy for making his way in to the OBD II game.
    I have had 2 different Trm tune in my car. Both are were good. Seems like you have a hidden agenda here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)

I have had 2 different Trm tune in my car. Both are were good. Seems like you have a hidden agenda here.
    Don't think he does, he added some good supplementary info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast