Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Wheel / Tire / Suspension ideas -- 335i E92 ZSP

Spring is coming, and I cannot wait to remove my winter tires.

I'm needing some ideas for a new set on my coupe.

I love the HRE P40 type wheels, but they are out of my budget -- so I'm comparing the reps; VMR V710's, Avant Garde M310 and similar. I'm liking the idea of matte black - I think it'd work well with my alpine white E92, as so many have before.

For tires, I'm quite set on Nitto NT05, owing to great reviews on-line and from somebody at work. They look perfect for mixed summer street/track use.

So -- what kind of sizes & offsets are tried and true for my car? I want the tires to be as flush as possible with the fenders, but don't want to roll them. Any ideas? Do I need to drop the car by going with 19" wheels instead of 18"?

I don't really want to spend more than $3,000 - $3,500 on the whole wheel/tire/suspension. I can get most wheels/tires and parts at cost, since I work in the industry (but am still clueless LOL).

Cheeeers.
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    VMR reps are nice rims, and affordable.

You don't have to go with 19. It just depends on if you want performance or looks. 18's will perform better and likely give you more tire size options.

I run 19's instead of 20's for the same reason you should run 18's instead of 19's.

Boils down to what your primary goal is.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Staying with 18s could well be a possibility .. I actually like my stock 189's so much I'm even considering buying a second set (one winter / one summer). With the sport package, it sits just the way I like it.

I've also seen my car with black 19" style 199 rims (it's what it had on in the showroom, but I had them remove since they wanted over $4,500!). They looked great too.

My biggest thing is that I want the ass-end of the car to look a bit more aggressive, but I guess I could accomplish that with spacers.
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge
    I've also seen my car with black 19" style 199 rims (it's what it had on in the showroom, but I had them remove since they wanted over $4,500!). They looked great too.

My biggest thing is that I want the ass-end of the car to look a bit more aggressive, but I guess I could accomplish that with spacers.
    Spacers may give you what you are looking for.

From the sound of it I think you might want 19 inch VMR's. There are plenty of tires that will work for you.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    for 3k why not buy some dpe's or iforged or used hre's?
    m3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by inter1032 Click here to enlarge
    for 3k why not buy some dpe's or iforged or used hre's?
    He may not like their style and he may not want used rims. HRE's are going to be out of his range likely.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Personally I would shop for used rims. I am sure you could find a decent used set with tires for a good price. I ran 19" Nitto Nt05s on my M3 and they were a nice tire. Spacers will also give you that flush look that it sounds like you are after. You might have to mess with different sizes to get it just right.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd only buy used rims if they were in great condition, but unfortunately, locally the choice is very limited. Being in Canada sucks lots because we always have to pay hefty shipping & import fees/taxes on purchases from the US (even used items).

As for tires - I'd only ever buy new.

I think I'll end up with something VMR-esque, but wish I could see a comparison of 18's and 19's on my car! I don't need to have the best rims in the world, just something that looks half decent. My budget doesn't include mounting/balancing/alignment, since I can get that virtually free...
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wheels are totally subjective, but I know I started looking at the ~1000'ish wheels and ended up a few times that, but I don't regret it for a second, so that's totally on you. Suspension however, I can comment on. Please don't go with KW or the other low budget 'coilovers'. If you are just looking for an adjustable drop, get air bags. If you want that with some performance there are some standby names such as TC Klein, Ground Control, etc. Most of the systems are going to be based on variants (custom) of the Koni Yellow shock with their own springs. Matt@CamberToe can get you a good deal on Koni Yellows (Single Adjustable, which is all us recreational road course people need imho) with the excellent Swift springs for a fair price.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think I'm going to order Matte Black VMR V718 .. 19x8.5 & 19x9.5 .. with Nitto NT05 tires (not sure on size .. looks like it'll have to be 275's on the back)

I'm not going to drop the car yet .. I've seen plenty of photos with the stock ZSP suspension and it looks acceptable (to me) with 19s.

Hopefully get the final price from my after market guy at work this week.. I'll order them, but probably won't be able to put them on until end of April. Living in Calgary sucks!

Thanks for all the input -- really appreciated it. I was at the auto show in Calgary today .. I saw a white M3 on black rims .. that's what sold it for me!
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge
    I think I'm going to order Matte Black VMR V718 .. 19x8.5 & 19x9.5 .. with Nitto NT05 tires (not sure on size .. looks like it'll have to be 275's on the back)
    Good choice, those are nice rims.