Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Well, this is the right place to get answers from people who actually know what they are talking about. Post this anywhere else and it will turn into JB vs. Procede lol.
    ROFL!!! That is so damn true. LOL And don't forget the guys with flash and the new Cobb'ies ;P

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi Sander, Im glad you know about this thread. Please feel free to answer any question posted above. There is a lot of help/information needed.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by www.cp-e.com Click here to enlarge
    I can resolve the BBX log file corruption issue, among many of your other concerns.
    I'm glad you are here to help. Please, let me know how to replay the log files.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by www.cp-e.com Click here to enlarge
    We're also on StandBack tuner 2.6.0.6 which will be hosted on the site on Monday evening. It relieves a few bugs here and there.
    Link??

BTW, I reply your email with 2 tunes to look over.

I hope you will keep coming arround here. Click here to enlarge I know you do often on the Mazda forum.

DreX

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DreX Click here to enlarge
    I hope you will keep coming arround here. I know you do often on the Mazda forum.
    Considering CP-E renewed their vendor package I would think they would like to become more active here. I know we would all appreciate it.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Ok, I have some updates.

Sander from CP-E gave me a link for the Black Box software that replay the data log saved by the StandBack. This thing is so cool. I can select any 4 values at the time from over 30 parameters and play them. This will help us a lot to tune the engine to a great detail. I would love to see knock activity on the logs. Maybe have a different name as a value tag, have to check.

Also apparently with the addiction of the actual black box hardware, I could replay an actual race with GPS coordinates over an aerial map of the location. LOL Click here to enlargeThat should look like a video game. ROFL. I will have to ask Sander about that.

Click here to enlarge

I have to say Sander is a really cool guy to deal with. He called me to inform me to send my unit over there for replacement. And the new one will be tested on the shop car to be a 200% sure is working before shipping over here. Honestly props to him for a good quality service and take care of me. Click here to enlarge

Looks like now I'm moving forward.Click here to enlarge

DreX

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

I have to say Sander is a really cool guy to deal with. He called me to inform me to send my unit over there for replacement. And the new one will be tested on the shop car to be a 200% sure is working before shipping over here. Honestly props to him for a good quality service and take care of me.
    Now this is good to hear! ETA on receiving the new unit?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Now this is good to hear! ETA on receiving the new unit?
    No clue. I will send my unit today by UPS ground. It should be there by Friday, I assume the replacement should be here by mid~end of next week. I will put it on and drive around. If all is good then I will schedule some time with Rolo to take it back to the dyno for tuning.

Now I know how to replay logs, so I will get a lot of them. Click here to enlarge

I will start with valet mode to have a baseline of the BMW DME activities. It will be interesting to see how it behaves. It will point me to "safe" areas when tuning like timing and such. Afterwards I will create a new thread with log values, screen shots and such to better understand what’s going on over the DME. It will be really interesting. So far with my crappy log I saw some data rather interesting, but since my “tune” was all messed up I will keep it on the dark to not create false ideas or speculations.

Good things will come soon. Click here to enlarge

DreX

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Great info and great thread!

Glad to see things are picking up and your issues will be resolved shortly, the idea of the standback2 being able to have everything laid out in a 30x30 graph is awesome to me.
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

I have a used Standback for sale if anyone is looking

/shamless plug
    Click here to enlarge
    sales@ardesign.info | tel. 303.351.3515| www.ardesign.info
    Powering some of the world's fastest BMWs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Got some update from Sander. My unit did have some inappropriate hardware on it. It will be updated with the right hardware and tested on their 335 and ship on Monday. I assume I will have it by Friday. Sadly my weekend is booked and probably cant update much if any.

Afterwards, will post a new thread with a basic review and logs. Then will take the car to CFT and the fun will begin. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

My unit did have some inappropriate hardware on it. It will be updated with the right hardware and tested on their 335 and ship on Monday.
    If it's the wrong hardware that is going to explain a lot. Looking forward to your impressions once you get the proper unit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok, back from the grave here. LOL

My situation with getting my standback took a while but I have it now. Iinstalled on Wednesday night and test it own Thursday morning going to work.The finds were what I did not expect, well sort of.

The boost oscillation was still there even the working base map wasinstalled and the unit was tested by CP-e. Emailed Sander with the problem andhe sent me another config to test. I dont have the time to test that one. But mean whileI started to mess around with the PID values and manage to control the boostflat, I mean flat as can be. BUT I still have a spike on the beginning when thethrottle is opening. I was “tuning” for 8 PSI and was getting 14 PSI for asecond and then 8 psi flat all the way to 7k rpms. Neat J

Even testing @ 8 PSI the car felt significantly stronger than in valet mode.Probably is due having the 8 PSI steady from the get go. Also the boost is stoopid fast Click here to enlarge, I mean like on/off switch. It’s amazing even with just press the pedalslightly like 10% the car just goes with attitude.

Now I just have to get rid of that boost spike and then will take the car to CFT. Click here to enlarge

Will post some logs when I get home and have some time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here is a log of a 8 PSI. As you can see the spike is anying. Click here to enlarge But the steady boost control all the way to 7k is great!Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

I cant wait to have it tuned properly. More to come soon.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

awesome!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

I cant wait to have it tuned properly. More to come soon.
    What else needs to be done with the tune?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What else needs to be done with the tune?
    Everything. Until the boost is totaly flat I wont take the car to CFT to be tuned. I just need to find time to drive around and find the proper values for PID. Every time I play with it I learn more and get used to it. The 30x30 tables are cool to deal with.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    awesome!
    Yea! Finally the tide is shifting to my favor. LOL

I want to drive my car hard but can not do it. :/ ......for now Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good stuff man! The sb2 is looking promising Click here to enlarge
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Everything. Until the boost is totaly flat I wont take the car to CFT to be tuned. I just need to find time to drive around and find the proper values for PID. Every time I play with it I learn more and get used to it. The 30x30 tables are cool to deal with.
    Sounds like a lot of work to dial in....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mazdaspeed6 Click here to enlarge
    if it all works out, i may have to throw mine in for a try Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    626 Post(s)

You'll want to log throttle position if possible as boost is read pre-throttle body. But they probably have some sort of gain setting you can use.

The basic idea with boost control is to map out the required duty cycle by boost target under steady on target conditions. Then use the dynamic PID system on top of that to handle transients like tip in, shifts, etc. What we do with the JB4 is also adjust the duty cycle curves over time based on PID data. For example if its requiring more duty cycle at higher RPM to hit your targets then it learns that over a few runs. Ideally for fast stable targeting you want most of the duty cycle to come from the preset tables and as little as possible from the dynamic PID. Of course the problem is that's tricky to achieve. We have to map based on EGT, gear, etc, to get there. But as a first step say 70% from preset tables and 30% from PID would work and allow you to skip a lot of the more tedious stuff for now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

OP thanks for posting, and the rest for helping. Great insight here as I have never really looked into the SB tune - this really helped me understand the options available to anyone using it. Great stuff!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mazdaspeed6 Click here to enlarge
    Thanks Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sounds like a lot of work to dial in....
    Well, I dont believe is any harder than stand alones in a typical way. I wold say the hard part is to dial the PID to control your boost flat. Once you have those values correct then the other ones are just "tuning" tools. Dont know if I explained my self correctly.

Let say my PID is correct and can hit and hold boost @ 8psi (that what im using for now to get my PID numbers). Then I can get to the 30x30 table and put any desired value and the standback will follow my order like a marine soldier. I can go as mild or wild as I desire, since the PID controls it correctly the outcome will be spot on. On the fuel and timing tables I cant coment yet cuz until the boost is flat I wont mess with anything.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    if it all works out, i may have to throw mine in for a try Click here to enlarge
    Did you bougth one!?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    You'll want to log throttle position if possible as boost is read pre-throttle body. But they probably have some sort of gain setting you can use.

The basic idea with boost control is to map out the required duty cycle by boost target under steady on target conditions. Then use the dynamic PID system on top of that to handle transients like tip in, shifts, etc. What we do with the JB4 is also adjust the duty cycle curves over time based on PID data. For example if its requiring more duty cycle at higher RPM to hit your targets then it learns that over a few runs. Ideally for fast stable targeting you want most of the duty cycle to come from the preset tables and as little as possible from the dynamic PID. Of course the problem is that's tricky to achieve. We have to map based on EGT, gear, etc, to get there. But as a first step say 70% from preset tables and 30% from PID would work and allow you to skip a lot of the more tedious stuff for now.
    Terry thanks for your input. You deserv a beer Click here to enlarge; even this is not your product you step in to help. Click here to enlarge Bravo!

I don’t think the standback uses any preloaded data to use into boost control. IIRC they get full control of the waste gate solenoids and rely on PID to control the boost. I can use the 30x30 table and use lower values at the beginning but I consider that cheating cuz the problem is control w/o error. I trying to set the PID using the total boost value place holder set @ 8 PSi. Once I can stop the spike I will be set. Its just time consuming when the information is so scarce. So must of the "learning" comes from trial and error instead of a factual data already set. Click here to enlarge

On an interesting note, when running in valet mode; even the PID is involved.When I have boost oscillation it still shows on valet mode but the oscillationis lower. Which leads me to think that once the PID is set correctly the 30x30 boost tables will be executed properly.

Sander told me that the cal file he sent me was tested on one of the shop cars with same mods and was working ok. Seeing my log from the cal file I believe my car is spooling faster than their shop car. Being all parts the same from BMW the only explanation is my selections of mod parts.

As for PID settings, I’m starting to get the right idea of how to work it out. On my way to work I change my approach on “how” the values contribute the PID behavior. My last test I hit 8 PSI and then went down to 7 and lower; but I stop the spike (I think). Still need some more testing to be sure it is not spiking over target. I’m moving slowlybut forward.

Look at my last log.

Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by DreX; 04-19-2011 at 12:12 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast