Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Need to decide on tyres for my 335i, RFT's or not RFT's???

Hi,

I would appriciate any input on this, I am not happy with the RFT's that the car have had, and this spring I need new tyre's anyway.

I been in contact with Birds in the UK, and they claim dumping the RFT's is a bigger upgrade for handling than coilovers.

I am worried that the standard suspension is a little "soft" to compensate for the harder RFT's, and that buying non run flats would make the ride to soft.

The M3 doesn't have RFT's but most likely have suspension to match...

Any N54 owner who done the swap to normal tyre's here?

What tyres did you choose? I am looking at Michelin PilotSport's

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Dunlop Direzza Star Spec

/thread
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
    Dunlop Direzza Star Spec

/thread
    I concur... Or bfgoorich gforce kdw 2's make a great second
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

You might not have those tire brands mentioned available where you live...
    Generally speaking, the tire wall in RFTs is stiff so that 1. you can run them even punctuated and 2. that you can corner at high speeds so that the tire does not roll under your car. You could try to find non-RFT tires with stiff tirewall. Many performance tires have quite stiff walls for stable high speed cornering. Obviously you cannot have them maximizing both the performance and smooth ride. It will be less stiff than RFT, meaning smoother ride in any case and you will come close to RFTs in the good qualities for cornering.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    You might not have those tire brands mentioned available where you live...
    Generally speaking, the tire wall in RFTs is stiff so that 1. you can run them even punctuated and 2. that you can corner at high speeds so that the tire does not roll under your car. You could try to find non-RFT tires with stiff tirewall. Many performance tires have quite stiff walls for stable high speed cornering. Obviously you cannot have them maximizing both the performance and smooth ride. It will be less stiff than RFT, meaning smoother ride in any case and you will come close to RFTs in the good qualities for cornering.
    My understanding is actually the opposite, that both BMW and Birds use non RFT's to improve handling and grip while cornering.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by xbox_fan Click here to enlarge
    My understanding is actually the opposite, that both BMW and Birds use non RFT's to improve handling and grip while cornering.
    No they do it for convience.. RFT are too hard of a compound to grip well
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

But BMW doesn't use non RFTs...
    Birds can use better tires to improve handling and grip, but you cannot generalize tires into two category. There are tires that are worthless, no matter RFT or non-RFT, and then there are good tires in RFT and non-RFT. You will make a decision to buy tires of certain brand, size, features etc. So it does not make sense to talk about them in too general level such as RFTs / non-RFTs. To make a point, good quality RFTs are better than bad quality non-RFTs for sure. However, your best choice is qood quality non-RFTs. You need to decide on brand, model and size.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    But BMW doesn't use non RFTs...
    Birds can use better tires to improve handling and grip, but you cannot generalize tires into two category. There are tires that are worthless, no matter RFT or non-RFT, and then there are good tires in RFT and non-RFT. You will make a decision to buy tires of certain brand, size, features etc. So it does not make sense to talk about them in too general level such as RFTs / non-RFTs. To make a point, good quality RFTs are better than bad quality non-RFTs for sure. However, your best choice is qood quality non-RFTs. You need to decide on brand, model and size.
    Well in europe M3 cars has non RFT to improve handling/cornering.

I agree with the comparisions, a good rft will be better than a crappy normal tyre. So I am choosing between Michelin Pilot Sport 2/3 in either RFT or non RFT versions.

My main goal is grip in corners.

If I coukd get better comfort it is an added bonus but secondary...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Let us know what you decide. I'm facing the same dilema soon.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have 'normal' winter tires on my car (Blizzaks) -- I purchased one of those tire repair kits which include some gunk and an air compressor for peace of mind.

My factory summer RFT's will not be going back on next month, instead I'm planning on Nitto NT05.
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

I had the same problem. But I looked dor non/rf with a.very stiff sidewall.
    I found a business that imports US tires, so after some research I ordered a set BridgestonePotenza RE11 's for all 4 corners
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Pilot sport 3 should be better in wet than pilot sport 2.

If anyone is interested Sport Auto tested RFTs vs non-RFTs having the very same brand so that the only difference was the RFT/non-RFT. Stiff tire sidewalls are good for dry, but for the wet, it is better to have some flex in them so you don't lose the traction abruptly:

..."Im gleichen Sport-Auto-Heft ist ein Vergleichstest Bridgestone RFT gegen non-RFT in der gleichen DImension mit einem BMW 330i als Testfahrzeug. Auf der Handlingstrecke 2.770m (keine Ahnung welche...) benötigt der Fahrer bei trockner Fahrbahn mit der RFT-Ausführung eine Zeit von 1.17,0. Mit der non-RFT-Ausführung benötigt er für die gleiche Strecke eine Zeit von 1.19,4. Entweder ist der Bridgestone Potenza somit ein Top RFT-Reifen, oder die Normalausführung ist zum vergessen."

"In der Sport-Auto 06/2006 wird der Bridgestone Potenza RE050A in 18 Zoll auf einem 330i getestet. Das Fazit: Handling und Bremsweg sind beim RFT-Modell im Trockenen besser. Bei Nässe verliert der RFT-Reifen seinen Vorsprung gegenüber der Normalausführung jedoch wieder. Zusätzlich ist der Fahrkomfort mit dem RFT naturgemäß etwas schlechter. Unterm Strich sei der Nicht-RFT das ausgewogenere Paket. Ein "Griff ins Klo" scheint der RFT aber auch nicht zu sein.

Werte vom Vergleichstest (RFT / Nicht RFT):
    Handling trocken: 1:17,0 / 1:19,4
    Handling nass: 1:49,3 / 1:44,7
    Bremsen trocken (100-0): 36,7 m / 37,9 m
    Bremsen nass (100-0): 52,4 m / 49,2 m"

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Your thinking is good to begin with. If your tires are less stiff, you can upgrade the suspension to compensate. You can use e.g. M3 suspension parts. Also a lot depends on the diameter. If you are running 19", your tire walls do not flex much RFTs or not... If you are running non-RFT 17", they sure will.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    I had the same problem. But I looked dor non/rf with a.very stiff sidewall.
    I found a business that imports US tires, so after some research I ordered a set BridgestonePotenza RE11 's for all 4 corners
    Do those have e-acceptance? I doubt they don't. That's the reason they are not sold in Europe. Anyways, give me the info about the company Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

What would e-acceptance contribute to a tire?
    I'll pm you the adress

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Thanks! In Europe e-acceptance equals to street legal.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

I can live without that.
    More tires are street legal then sold in europe.
    For instance Toyo R888 are street legal, but not sold in europe.
    It's legal to drive to the circuit with them over public roads. In the climat we have here you wouldn't want them for day to day use.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigup Click here to enlarge
    I have 'normal' winter tires on my car (Blizzaks) -- I purchased one of those tire repair kits which include some gunk and an air compressor for peace of mind.

My factory summer RFT's will not be going back on next month, instead I'm planning on Nitto NT05.
    That's what I was thinking too. I read about the NT05 and it seems people like that tire on various sorts of cars.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sr20seb Click here to enlarge
    That's what I was thinking too. I read about the NT05 and it seems people like that tire on various sorts of cars.
    They have certainly been getting lots of rave reviews.. a guy I work with has a set on his tuned Passat diesel .. he loves them. They look fantastic too, well as good as a tire can look, anyway Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

They do sell M cars with non RFT tires. You get an M Mobility kit in the trunk, which ideally doesnt do $#@! if you get a flat at speed...by the time you feel it and slow down the tire is done and it will have to be replaced.

I have been using Toyo T1Rs as a street tire and R888s for circuit/DE use...they make great learning tires. For full on track use I use Hoosiers though..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    They do sell M cars with non RFT tires. You get an M Mobility kit in the trunk, which ideally doesnt do $#@! if you get a flat at speed...by the time you feel it and slow down the tire is done and it will have to be replaced.

I have been using Toyo T1Rs as a street tire and R888s for circuit/DE use...they make great learning tires. For full on track use I use Hoosiers though..
    What do you do if your non RFT gets a flat then?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sr20seb Click here to enlarge
    What do you do if your non RFT gets a flat then?
    your SOL... use bmw roadside assistance or AAA
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I did read a official BMW quote stating that cars sold w RFT has springs and shocks adapted for the stiffer tires. I am reluctant to upgrade shocks, springs, bushings & anti roll bars etc.

I get the feelings I should save up for a real M car instead Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I get the feelings I should save up for a real M car instead Click here to enlarge
    Don't we all!

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with non-RFT on your 335i.. the stock tires on my cars never quite felt right; and I'm glad to get rid. Speaking of which, if *cough* anybody local to me wants a set, drop me a PM!

The differences in tires can be HUGE though. When winter arrived here, I first put Nokian Hakks on my car, and hated every moment of it. Everything was soft and spongy, I felt like I was driving a Mercedes. Grip was evil too .. On dry road, I was spinning all the way through 2nd, and I'm still stock. Once I switched to the Blizzak LM-60, everything became quite harmonious .. probably as good as it gets for winter tires, at least on dry road. On ice & snow I have to behave.

I stretched the crap out of the rears too -- by keeping the same tire size on all corners onmy staggered wheels.. they look like crap, but performance is more important than looks in the winter, at least up here in the white north!

Can't wait until all this white stuff melts Click here to enlarge
    ~

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mazdaspeed6 Click here to enlarge
    your SOL... use bmw roadside assistance or AAA
    Ironically enough for the first time in my life I got a flat tire today an hour form home. I am running Toyo T1R's on my aftermarket wheels, but I figured BMW would at least tow me or give me a temp donut. I was mistaken. BMW Roadside Assistance was pretty painless to talk to someone, but they said all they could do was tow me to a dealer and it would be up to them from there. OK, that seems fair to me. All I need is for the shop to swap on my OEM wheels and all seasons and I'm good to go again. I call my dealer (who takes forever to answer the phone, transfers me a few times, and puts me on hold for 10 min) quick just to clear the plan with them and the guy tells me it'll be $125. I clarified to him that I was bringing my own wheels and the key to my wheel locks. He goes into a speech on aftermarket wheel locks and how they aren't responsible for damage to the wheels. I again clarify that this would be part of the roadside assistance that I supposedly have as part of my warrenty. He says $125 again. Sigh

I ended up having the wife put the 4 wheels in her car. Of course she has a roadster so there zero space in the thing. She ended up taking out her own spare to get them to fit. Keep in mind there's no jack on the RFT cars, as I almost forgot. Changed out the flat tire on the side of the interstate. Long story short, apparently the shop that rolled my fenders used the air gun to put my wheels on without the torque adapter. I cracked my 17mm Craftsman socket trying to get the bolt off. Profanity ensues. Did the other 3 at home after a trip to Sears. More profanity, busted knuckles and now I'm drinking Stroh out of a 24oz cup.

Moral of the story: At least on the east coast, if you are running your own wheels, don't expect any help from BMW if you have a flat.
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast