Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: COBB AP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Why do people keep saying 'this tune will outperform that tune' as if there is some magic behind tuning. You want more power, just crank up the boost until you hit knock threshold for your octane limit and done; maximum power. That can be done with almost any tuning device, piggy, flash, standalone.. Controlling boost is not the hard part, it's making the DME not take a $#@! when it sees 19 psi and the load tables aren't designed for that in the DME. Hence why piggys are so nice and appealing, easy to install, cheap and reliable. There is no magical 'thing' you can do via a flash that will net more power on a stock car that a piggy or any other device can't do. It just does it more elegantly, and I dont need to pay for elegance.
    Well obviously anything that increases boost can be fast. What is meant by outperforming another tune is running a higher psi safely. I dont think anyone ever claimed anything "magical" was being done, but COBB knows what they are doing. We will see when stage 2 arrives, and I have a feeling a lot of people will be switching over.
    Last edited by Forcefed; 03-01-2011 at 11:19 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Gbreee90 Click here to enlarge
    Well obviously anything that increases boost can be just as fast as anything else. What is meant by outperforming another tune is running a higher psi safely. I dont think anyone ever claimed anything "magical" was being done, but COBB knows what they are doing. We will see when stage 2 arrives, and I have a feeling a lot of people will be switching over.
    True, I guess that part is what's missing. Integral safety that the DME already has, and use that with more boost and meth...
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    True, I guess that part is what's missing. Integral safety that the DME already has, and use that with more boost and meth...
    I also like what I see as far as timing goes. ATR should allow the more advanced users to make this tune perfect for their specific mods.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If the Cobb software for this platform is like the other platforms they have software for, it will be very capable software in the hands of a good tuner. Like any other tuning platform, it is only going to be as good as the person doing the tuning.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Cobb has dominated other markets, Im sure with their knowledge it should only be a matter of time. They are very smart and relaxed with handling questions, unlike some tuners.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Cobb will definately be a big contendor once the bugs get worked out. I always read post about this and it seems like people dont understand the difference between piggybacks and flashes. Its kind of frustrating but its a very simple concept. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. With a piggyback, you basically have a glorified signal modulator. It intercepts signals and chagnes them to make the ECU do what you want it to do. There is nothing wrong with this method as it is common on other platforms. The flashing method allows you to completely write new tables into your ECU, much like reformating a hard drive with a new operating system. You modify the tables based on feedback from engine sensors. You do a few dyno pulls or street runs, pull over, make adjustments, and reflash until the engine is happy. You tune for maxium performance as well as safety. With flashing, you have to have more than one tune for nitrous, meth, pump, racegas. With a piggyback, it will automatically compensate for there added variables. If you flash your car, you need to be smart enough to have enough play in variables to compensate for ambient temperature and other conditions that may effect engine performance. I like the flashing method as it gives me the ability to custom tune my own engine and it seems on other platforms, flashing eventually puts down the most power. (Remember this is comming from a proud JB3 owner, i love my JB!) The reason we havent seen it yet is because this platform is so new. It takes a lot of R&D to develop performance car parts. Not to mention, there are only a select few people that actually do the development in any platform. It took the supra guys almost 8-10 years to get to the 1000HP mark. Another problem with this platform is most bmw owners lease their cars so they usually dont stick around long enough to really focus several years on R&D. I own my car so im in it for the long haul. Click here to enlarge

I think once we get the fuel bugs worked out and actual REAL control of timing(not CPS offsetting), then we will start seeing a lot more cars in the 500WHP range. Idk if you guys have been reading it but there is a real interesting thread on n54tech about the fuel system and how a few guys are stepping up to do their own testing and finding solutions to fueling issues. This should be a very interesting year for the n54.
    Last edited by indy99gpgt; 03-03-2011 at 04:18 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by indy99gpgt Click here to enlarge
    The flashing method allows you to completely write new tables into your ECU, much like reformating a hard drive with a new operating system. You modify the tables based on feedback from engine sensors. You do a few dyno pulls or street runs, pull over, make adjustments, and reflash until the engine is happy. You tune for maxium performance as well as safety. With flashing, you have to have more than one tune for nitrous, meth, pump, racegas. With a piggyback, it will automatically compensate for there added variables. If you flash your car, you need to be smart enough to have enough play in variables to compensate for ambient temperature and other conditions that may effect engine performance.
    Yes, but due to the complexity of the ECU you need a hell of a tuner who understands how adjust/write those tables. That is why piggybacks are popular as getting a complete grasp of these ecu is HARD. It is ultimately a superior way to control it as you aren't intercepting signals you are directly dealing with the ecu.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I wonder how hard it will be to safely run meth with COBB, I know a little custom tuning would be involved.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

I wonder how hard it will be to safely run meth with COBB, I know a little custom tuning would be involved.
    The only problem people seem to be bringing up is the meth safety.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The only problem people seem to be bringing up is the meth safety.
    I wonder how we could make it safe. Hopefully they will make maps for methanol.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

I wonder how we could make it safe. Hopefully they will make maps for methanol.
    I don't know if it is as much as maps for methanol but more for something to protect if meth stops flowing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I don't know if it is as much as maps for methanol but more for something to protect if meth stops flowing.
    Well wouldnt that have to be something that plugs into the ECU? Like the Burger Motorsports DP fix, SLD, CPS etc.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I was very excited when the AP was first announced because I had a WRX as a daily driver a couple years back and used it then. I was never able to see any hard numbers, but all of the logging that I did looked very good. I own a dynojet, but unfortunately it is of the 2 wheel variety and the WRX was a no go. However, for the time being I am just not convinced that this will be better than what I am seeing with the JB4 anytime in the near future. The gauge hijacking and other options that the JB4 has are just blowing the idea of switching to the AP out of the water for me. How long does it take to flash the DME with the AP? I can install my JB4 in under 20 minutes from hood open to hood shut.

-Jeff

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Cobb + piggyback could be a well working combo. At least meth integration and gauge hijacking is done by piggies already, so why not use them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    Cobb + piggyback could be a well working combo. At least meth integration and gauge hijacking is done by piggies already, so why not use them.
    COBB has said they dont recommend that.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

COBB has said they dont recommend that.
    Who cares what they say Click here to enlarge

We need to do what is best for our cars.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    Who cares what they say Click here to enlarge

We need to do what is best for our cars.
    Yes, but it is possible that doing that could damage the car. You can try if you want though.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Well wouldnt that have to be something that plugs into the ECU? Like the Burger Motorsports DP fix, SLD, CPS etc.
    I believe why the meth integration with the Cobb would be an issue was explained well here by someone, I'll have to dig it up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

there wont be an issue with Cobb

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

is it me, or are more than not, cobb logs shown showing KNOCK?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    is it me, or are more than not, cobb logs shown showing KNOCK?
    Post them and show where you see knock?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Post them and show where you see knock?
    ok, let me find it again..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)

Ugh, ok, where do I find the knock in there?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

someone can correct me if im wrong though.. and this is on 91 octane:

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast