Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: COBB AP

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

COBB AP

No one has really talked about COBB AP over here. I was wondering if anyone on BB is using it and how you like it? It would be interesting to have a flash tune discussion. A few things I like about the COBB flash are: easy install, performance meters, very simple logs, great reputation. I also like the fact that ATR will allow you to custom tune your car. What say ye?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It would be nice to just flash tune the car and not worry about getting the piggyback connected into the ECU. I'd like to see how this tune can handle a car with upgraded turbo since that's the way I'm heading. If it can do what the procede or the JB in terms of power, I think I will be one of many to acquire this piece of tech.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sr20seb Click here to enlarge
    It would be nice to just flash tune the car and not worry about getting the piggyback connected into the ECU. I'd like to see how this tune can handle a car with upgraded turbo since that's the way I'm heading. If it can do what the procede or the JB in terms of power, I think I will be one of many to acquire this piece of tech.
    Stage 2 should be able to produce just as much power as the JBx and Procede. Hopefully bigger turbos and meth will be an option, I am sure you could make them work just fine by custom tuning it.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Gbreee90 Click here to enlarge
    Stage 2 should be able to produce just as much power as the JBx and Procede. Hopefully bigger turbos and meth will be an option, I am sure you could make them work just fine by custom tuning it.
    I wonder when, and also I think there was an issue with cars built in 2007 not being supported by the cobb tune? My car was built in OCT 2007 so I'm not sure if it's supported or not.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i'm waiting for my firmware, i sent the rom in today. i let you know when i get up and running..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by TLO03 Click here to enlarge
    i'm waiting for my firmware, i sent the rom in today. i let you know when i get up and running..
    Okay, please do!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sr20seb Click here to enlarge
    I wonder when, and also I think there was an issue with cars built in 2007 not being supported by the cobb tune? My car was built in OCT 2007 so I'm not sure if it's supported or not.
    2007 support comes out the same time as stage 2.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There are a couple threads on it and COBB is registered here but beyond the initial announcement not much.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    There are a couple threads on it and COBB is registered here but beyond the initial announcement not much.
    Hopefully they will start posting more on all the forums.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hopefully they will start posting more on all the forums.
    Would be nice... for now I don't see COBB rivaling the best performance offerings available though. Still, the increased competition is a positive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Would be nice... for now I don't see COBB rivaling the best performance offerings available though. Still, the increased competition is a positive.
    What do you feel will be better about other tunes?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What do you feel will be better about other tunes?
    I don't necessarily feel they are "better" I just feel the piggy's have a performance advantage currently which may very well be erased with tuners getting a good enough grasp of the DME.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't necessarily feel they are "better" I just feel the piggy's have a performance advantage currently which may very well be erased with tuners getting a good enough grasp of the DME.
    Right, I agree the current piggybacks have an advantage on an FBO car. However, I think COBB on an otherwise stock car is up there with any of the piggybacks on a stock car. The whp with COBB is about 30 less than some of the piggybacks, but the wtq seems to be just as good if not better. I suspect that stage 2 will perform if not outperform the piggybacks. This is just my speculation though.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Right, I agree the current piggybacks have an advantage on an FBO car. However, I think COBB on an otherwise stock car is up there with any of the piggybacks on a stock car. The whp with COBB is about 30 less than some of the piggybacks, but the wtq seems to be just as good if not better. I suspect that stage 2 will perform if not out-perform the piggybacks. This is just my speculation though.
    You are likely correct.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You are likely correct.
    One thing I am still wondering about is how (or if) the COBB AP is CANbus integrated. I thought I read that it was somewhere, but it doesnt seem right. If this is so, it would have just as many features as the piggybacks. I have not heard of any gauge hijacking or anything of that sort with COBB though. I dont think it is possible to have such features with a flash, please correct me if I am wrong.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    One thing I am still wondering about is how (or if) the COBB AP is CANbus integrated. I thought I read that it was somewhere, but it doesnt seem right. If this is so, it would have just as many features as the piggybacks. I have not heard of any gauge hijacking or anything of that sort with COBB though. I dont think it is possible to have such features with a flash, please correct me if I am wrong.
    Maybe I misunderstood but it just interfaces through there to flash, right?

Terry was mentioning something about being able to flash this way as well if it was necessary. Difference is the JB4 is constantly connected and I don't believe the Cobb is unless I am mistaken.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Maybe I misunderstood but it just interfaces through there to flash, right?

Terry was mentioning something about being able to flash this way as well if it was necessary. Difference is the JB4 is constantly connected and I don't believe the Cobb is unless I am mistaken.
    I am still reading all about COBB, so I am not quite sure. I do know that you dont have to keep it connected though, but you can if you like. I know you have to keep it connected if you want to access features such as: Performance tools, map switching, data logging etc. Hopefully someone who has more experience with this flash can chime in.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am still reading all about COBB, so I am not quite sure. I do know that you dont have to keep it connected though, but you can if you like. I know you have to keep it connected if you want to access features such as: Performance tools, map switching, data logging etc. Hopefully someone who has more experience with this flash can chime in.
    It makes sense for it to need to be connected to get logs and switch maps but since it is a flash it does not need to be constantly connected unlike the piggy's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It makes sense for it to need to be connected to get logs and switch maps but since it is a flash it does not need to be constantly connected unlike the piggy's.
    Yeah, and I am sure the easy installation will draw a lot of people to it. I on the other hand have no problem installing a piggyback, so its really all about performance and safety for me. Hopefully COBB will be able to deliver with Stage 2, and looking at all they have done with other cars I'm sure they will.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I wonder why no other flash tunes have been as aggressive as the piggybacks, I remember reading something about it but it wasnt very clear.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I wonder why no other flash tunes have been as aggressive as the piggybacks, I remember reading something about it but it wasnt very clear.
    There was a boost limitation for a while but I do not know if that is the case any longer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    COBB is a good option, but like many stated before, for maximizing the car, flashes have not yet been able to get a good grasp. a lot due to the meth part, without meth a flash cant push the same boost a piggy can, and then with meth, there are no safeties for it.

also, im an 07, 06 build so either way I cant use it. I heard its because the DME on the 07's are very picky..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    also, im an 07, 06 build so either way I cant use it. I heard its because the DME on the 07's are very picky..
    What is the break down of years it is limited to?

I know they don't have it for Europe yet but didn't realize certain years were also not available.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Why do people keep saying 'this tune will outperform that tune' as if there is some magic behind tuning. You want more power, just crank up the boost until you hit knock threshold for your octane limit and done; maximum power. That can be done with almost any tuning device, piggy, flash, standalone.. Controlling boost is not the hard part, it's making the DME not take a $#@! when it sees 19 psi and the load tables aren't designed for that in the DME. Hence why piggys are so nice and appealing, easy to install, cheap and reliable. There is no magical 'thing' you can do via a flash that will net more power on a stock car that a piggy or any other device can't do. It just does it more elegantly, and I dont need to pay for elegance.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What is the break down of years it is limited to?

I know they don't have it for Europe yet but didn't realize certain years were also not available.
    They dont yet support 2007, but they will very soon.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    COBB is a good option, but like many stated before, for maximizing the car, flashes have not yet been able to get a good grasp. a lot due to the meth part, without meth a flash cant push the same boost a piggy can, and then with meth, there are no safeties for it.

From Travis@COBB
    "Lastly Meth: Not at this time. Without proper tuning running meth on your car is a very bad idea that can cause all sorts of problems. When AccessTUNER Race becomes available later this year then you will be able to integrate this fuel into your tune but as of right now, there simply is no way to use a meth injection system on an AccessPORT equipped car."

Hopefully there will be an option to safely run meth in the future.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2133 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    it's making the DME not take a $#@! when it sees 19 psi and the load tables aren't designed for that in the DME
    Is that it or is it the tuners just haven't found the right tables to modify?

A lot of it is just trial and error with tons of code to try.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast