Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Overclocking Web Magazine

I'm not sure if we have any computer hardware people here, but just the format on this is really cool to me. They really take advantage of the web style rather than just scanning $#@! into pdf's. Check it out

The OverClocker Issue 13, Feb 11
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

That's a great way to display a magazine in an electronic format, really nice.

Used to follow that mag back in the day when I was building pc's trying to go for top 3dmark scores and so forth. These days don't game as much or follow computer hardware closely either. I never ever thought I would switch to a laptop for everything.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yeah I'm definitely behind the hardware scene these days, but I think it's ok. One money pit hobby is enough for me. I do like catching up from time to time because there's some crazy $#@! out there. I thought the PCI-E solid state hard disk was crazy, but apparently if you want to truely be hardcore the newest hotness is a drive you make with straight up RAM lol. Wonder what the $ per gig on that is, heh
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SSDD Click here to enlarge
    but apparently if you want to truely be hardcore the newest hotness is a drive you make with straight up RAM lol.
    So what, virtual drive just in the temp memory?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Nah outside of dropping it's data occasionally it's a regular SATA drive. I believe they are still SATA 2 currently though. People don't really knock the stability from what I understand because of the blazingly fast speeds it spits out and you really aren't going to use it unless you are really schnerious about your hardware and probably have duplicate backups, besides knowing the issues going in. It's really just a 3DMark etc benchmarking beast mode tool.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Nah outside of dropping it's data occasionally it's a regular SATA drive. I believe they are still SATA 2 currently though. People don't really knock the stability from what I understand because of the blazingly fast speeds it spits out and you really aren't going to use it unless you are really schnerious about your hardware and probably have duplicate backups, besides knowing the issues going in. It's really just a 3DMark etc benchmarking beast mode tool.
    Is the difference of a solid state drive really warranted?

Why does it drop data?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Thats funny. I used to be a 3dmark freak also. I barely upgrade my computer nowadays, or play games. I buy a buncha games thru steam and dont ever play them. My lady hates them video games, so I stopped for good. Anyways, the animations in that magazine are awesome, makes it much more enjoyable to read.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Is the difference of a solid state drive really warranted?

Why does it drop data?
    I don't have the data rates in front of me, but from what I understand it's multiple times faster. It drops due to ram being volatile memory, aka needing a constant power source. So when you turn the computer off it needs a battery power source, but I guess it isn't integrated 110% yet. Any hick-up in power and it's gone.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leo985i Click here to enlarge
    Thats funny. I used to be a 3dmark freak also. I barely upgrade my computer nowadays, or play games. I buy a buncha games thru steam and dont ever play them. My lady hates them video games, so I stopped for good. Anyways, the animations in that magazine are awesome, makes it much more enjoyable to read.
    Yeah it's was pretty sweet. Also everything I wanted to click in the mag was hyperlinked. That's gotta be great for advertisers and I know it was convenient as a consumer. Win Win
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Thanks for the link - looking at rigs from OCN (overclock.net) I'm left speechless every visit. Some guy hit 5ghz+ on the newest chipset from intel, aka Sandy Bridge...

Nice to have this to read Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

I don't have the data rates in front of me, but from what I understand it's multiple times faster. It drops due to ram being volatile memory, aka needing a constant power source. So when you turn the computer off it needs a battery power source, but I guess it isn't integrated 110% yet. Any hick-up in power and it's gone.
    That makes sense, if a constant source of power is kept it should be fine right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

If BB launched an interactive monthly magazine with all the epic articles...it looks pretty intricate to make, but then again, I don't know much flash Click here to enlarge