Close

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Yes we agreed on this. However if that happens damage will happen elsewhere and it'll be Obvious to all.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by m54b25 Click here to enlarge
    Knocking/detonation does cause Rod bearing failure as well! When it detonates a with a high load, it pounds the rod bearing to the crank which will leave no oil film in the rod bearing surface.

Only the early S54 rod bearing recall are due to too tight clearances for a high revving engine + heat that ended up seizing the rod bearings to the crank wear when everything was driven hard. Thus BMW fixed the issue by using racing rod bearing clearances & used thicker TWS Motorsport oil.

BG

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BrenM3 Click here to enlarge
    Yes we agreed on this. However if that happens damage will happen elsewhere and it'll be Obvious to all.
    Yep, and the disassembly should answer this quite definitively.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

By the way Drew, that is pencilgeek without a doubt. He is the only one to ever claim I had a blown motor NA when I got a bent valve fixed under BMW warranty. He is also blaming Jeremy for a valve spring failure, unbelievable. The old man will blatantly lie to try to hurt people, pathetic.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Yes, a tear down & look of the rod bearing topside & piston crown+skirt will tell. Also, the S60/S65 have been known with valve springs failures at BMW... that's one possible recall to be done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by m54b25 Click here to enlarge
    Also, the S60/S65 have been known with valve springs failures at BMW... that's one possible recall to be done.
    Yes, I experienced this failure and hopefully the faulty valve springs have been replaced.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    You have me really worried now.

I was planning on going after some high speed records with my car, maybe not any longer when scenarios like what you described are possible.
    Engine Diaper

If you think I'm joking, look it up.

I never got that far on the black car, but it was coming....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PEI330Ci Click here to enlarge
    Engine Diaper

If you think I'm joking, look it up.

I never got that far on the black car, but it was coming....
    I admit, I did think you were joking:

Click here to enlarge

Still, how could I really go around saying my car wears a diaper?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

I admit, I did think you were joking:

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...apers003-1.jpg

Still, how could I really go around saying my car wears a diaper?
    Engine diaper

Transmission blanket

You see the trend?

On the upside, you could say these are required on all Top Fuel cars now...and be 100% correct.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

On the upside, you could say these are required on all Top Fuel cars now...and be 100% correct.
    Suddenly it feels manly to have a car wearing diapers.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Suddenly it feels manly to have a car wearing diapers.
    That's just one area, there are quite a few others with regard to fluid containment that "stock" cars do NOT meet minimum safety requirements.

People thought I was nuts to run -3 AN line for my transmission and differential breathers....but if you've ever seen what happens to a transmission or diff with regard to oil foaming at high speeds, you'd sign up for "bullet proof" really fast. That aquarium tubing most people seem to run can get snagged and cut driving through grass, or in the pit areas around race tracks. One little "off" and your breather system under the car may be compromised.

Stock cars also don't usually have a coolant catch can either....

Sorry to get so far off topic regarding the engine failure. I'll be quiet now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Great post Drew.

Jon - You should post over your response on M3F on BB about that video.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)

Idk how i missed 3 pages of this.. but damn so thats where your car has been.

I'm sorry if this question was asked but since the motor is open why not get some forged rods to be on the safe side? or even go stage 3 Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    I'm sorry if this question was asked but since the motor is open why not get some forged rods to be on the safe side? or even go stage 3
    He just wants to keep it stock for simplicity and not pay more money.

Likely a smart move as I doubt I will ever recoup 1/10 of what I have spent.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmm, blew out seals sounds like there may have been excess crank case pressure as well. That may point to ring damage as well.

So this was a bearing failure, but we can possibly assume they are finding the limits of the rods or bolts at the 650ish power level? With the identificfation of possible oil starvation that could have just hurried it up.

One things for sure that 4bolt main is in it for the long haul. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I posted this on M3forum I think it should be brought up here because the sheep over on that forum can't come with an answer to this.

So again since my post never get answered I just want to understand this:

1. If you are a happy Gintani / OE Tuning customer you will be accused of getting stuff for free or pushing their product because you are an employee. And you have no credibility.

2. If you don't say anything at all its because you are hiding something or Gintani ruined your car.

3. However as long as you have something negative to say about Gintani even if you never dealt with them ever in your life and never even set foot in their shop you automatically get "cool points?" and become instantly credible. Is that about right?
    "
    Last edited by JonMartin; 02-23-2011 at 05:57 PM.
    Kees on M5 Board is my bitch....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

^ Waste of your time, let them believe what they want. It's the same group of people who don't have these cars or have any experience with them that you are arguing with.

Honestly, M3forum has nothing. Old site on the decline with no up to date info. Let them enjoy OT, the people who know are here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

That's just one area, there are quite a few others with regard to fluid containment that "stock" cars do NOT meet minimum safety requirements.

People thought I was nuts to run -3 AN line for my transmission and differential breathers....but if you've ever seen what happens to a transmission or diff with regard to oil foaming at high speeds, you'd sign up for "bullet proof" really fast. That aquarium tubing most people seem to run can get snagged and cut driving through grass, or in the pit areas around race tracks. One little "off" and your breather system under the car may be compromised.

Stock cars also don't usually have a coolant catch can either....

Sorry to get so far off topic regarding the engine failure. I'll be quiet now.

Oh yes, foaming was another issue the S54 had when tracked & revised oil system it's needed =) Thanks PEI330Ci for bringing this up!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Drew, first off, I think it's really honorable to come online and open both yourself and Gintani up for criticism by exposing what has happened to your motor. This type of thing happens much more often than what you see online. It's very easy to go to a forum and post impressive numbers, much harder to discuss failure. These things happen when you push cars to the limit and I think it's great that you are sharing your experiences, good or bad with all the BMW enthusiasts. It's unheard of for a tuner to take care of their customers car the way Gintani has taken care of you. I have had my share of high hp vehicles, and when disaster strikes, I'm always amazed at how both reputable tuners and "high end" and expensive installers tend to run and hide. I look forward to what you guys find caused this failure, and more importantly for you to get your car back on the streets so we can see which direction you take next with your car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

My M3 is an '08 build as well and DCT, how is that possible M33?
    I don't get how pencilgeek who claims to be the all-knowing of M3's, doesn't know that there many 2008 M3's out there with DCT.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

In case anyone had any doubts about Gintani stealing or modifying the G-power software to run more timing..... here is a screenshot of an e-mail from G-power's North american distributor admitting that I was given a high octane file. And them offering me yet another kit after my car was fixed. Not something they would do if they suspected I just ripped them off right?

Click here to enlarge
    Kees on M5 Board is my bitch....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VetteFish Click here to enlarge
    Drew, very unfortunate to hear. 2007 was a year for our C6Z's that is known to have weak rod bearings as well, there have been many accounts of failures in stock cars...ya never know. The fact that your car has had 10k of POWERFUL boosted miles is great, you really drove that car how it should and unfortunately something happened. The fact that Gintani is covering the cost is incredible. When I blew my boosted motor in my C5 Z06 I was left in the dust, had to go to a new shop, and shell out thousands and thousands of dollars to be back on the road again. I give both yourself and the guys at Gintani a lot of respect for how the situation is being handled. I'm sure you will be back on the road in knowtime with tricks up your sleeve giving me runs for my money Click here to enlarge
    Thanks Fishi!
    08 E92 M3 - DCT
    Bolt Ons - Best ET 11.88 Best Trap Speed 119.8 MPH
    60-130 MPH (3 shifts) 10.71s
    Gintani Stage 2+ Supercharger 60-130MPH (3 shifts) 7.06s
    11.45 @ 131.6 MPH
    579WHP @9.3psi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Drew,

Sorry to hear...PITA but you got off lucky in more ways than one.

A few years ago a BMWCCA member by the name of John Holder had a rod bearing failure on his S54 at a rather high speed down a straight away, (Race track) and did an enourmous amount of damage to the car. (I think the bill totalled nearly $30k...and he didn't hit anything...although he flew over a water drainage ditch) Imagine having a rod failure at high speed, having the oil from the block coat the rear tires.....and well...you know the story from there.

A very visual example of this can be seen on youtube from a certain car doing a top speed run in the "Silver State Classic".

I look forward to seeing a more in depth analysis of the failure, certainly for learning, and not to point any figures. I think the way this thing has been handled so far has been pretty classy by all parties.
    Wow, that is pretty scary, luckily when it went I was just shifting into 2nd gear, got on it a little when it happened. The one bad thing about DCT once you stop and pull over, you can't put the car back into neutral unless you can start the motor. It was tough getting it on the toe truck. Appreciate your thoughts on this, I've always admired the way you post and your common sense, thanks man.
    08 E92 M3 - DCT
    11.45 @ 131.6 MPH
    579WHP @9.3psi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by KiokenM3 Click here to enlarge
    sorry to hear what happened. glad gintani is picking up the bill and even happier to hear your keeping your car! good luck brother
    Thanks Ricky.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Sorry to hear that , come back with stronger engine Click here to enlarge
    But damn no more runs from DLSJ5 for a while? :|
    I think I"m going to keep the motor stock, and run lower boost. I do miss old Mexico. Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tightie Click here to enlarge
    Great post Drew.

Jon - You should post over your response on M3F on BB about that video.
    Thanks J!
    08 E92 M3 - DCT
    11.45 @ 131.6 MPH
    579WHP @9.3psi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jhuang25 Click here to enlarge
    Drew, first off, I think it's really honorable to come online and open both yourself and Gintani up for criticism by exposing what has happened to your motor. This type of thing happens much more often than what you see online. It's very easy to go to a forum and post impressive numbers, much harder to discuss failure. These things happen when you push cars to the limit and I think it's great that you are sharing your experiences, good or bad with all the BMW enthusiasts. It's unheard of for a tuner to take care of their customers car the way Gintani has taken care of you. I have had my share of high hp vehicles, and when disaster strikes, I'm always amazed at how both reputable tuners and "high end" and expensive installers tend to run and hide. I look forward to what you guys find caused this failure, and more importantly for you to get your car back on the streets so we can see which direction you take next with your car.
    Appreciate that Brotha, I know you can empathize, looking forward to seeing you again soon man.
    08 E92 M3 - DCT
    11.45 @ 131.6 MPH
    579WHP @9.3psi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From what Gintani told me today, they intend to be as open with this as possible as there is nothing to hide. I quickly jumped in to say I would document every piece of the motor as it was being disassembled with high resolution pics for everyone. They did not seem to be opposed to the idea and Drew is not hiding anything either.

So what I can tell everyone is you will see inside the motor.
    Why would Gintani talk to you about Drew's car? Don't take it personally, If I was in Drew's position, I would want NO one to speak about my car publicly, unless a written consent was given.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast